News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Kino

Started by Moonloop, Thu, 2005-01-27, 09:18:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

For anyone who hasn't heard about this band, it's -

John Mitchell (Arena)
John Beck (It Bites)
Pete Trewavas (Marillion, Transatlantic)
Chris Maitland (ex-Porcupine Tree)

The debut album "Picture" is out on Feb 28th. A limited initial pressing will be a digipck with a bonus live DVD.

Not entirely sure what the style of music will be but you can guess that there will be a 'prog' angle to it  ;D

http://www.kinomusic.com/

The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Mark Jan

I heard a couple of songs on the radio (Dutch radio) in the past weeks, and it sounds really great! That's not very strange because the guys of Kino are well known musicians in the world of progrock.  :)
Only It bites isn't so familiar for me.

Peter

Kino will be on tour from mid to end of March. See our calendar and the news page on the kino wepage.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Quote from: Mark Jan on Thu, 2005-01-27, 17:00:14
I heard a couple of songs on the radio (Dutch radio) in the past weeks, and it sounds really great! That's not very strange because the guys of Kino are well known musicians in the world of progrock.  :)
Only It bites isn't so familiar for me.

"It Bites" were a great band, totally under-rated, probable due to having a fluke hit single "Calling All The Heroes" off their debut album. Suggest you get "Once Around The World" which should be available quite cheaply these days.  ;D

Mark Jan

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-01-28, 12:11:07
"It Bites" were a great band, totally under-rated, probable due to having a fluke hit single "Calling All The Heroes" off their debut album. Suggest you get "Once Around The World" which should be available quite cheaply these days.  ;D

Thanks for the information!  8) I'll check it out when I have time and more important, the money  ;)

Constable Hogweed

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-01-28, 12:11:07

"Once Around The World" ahhhhh a hidden classic of a prog album. Unfortunately i have it on tape, unfortunate because my old tape player chewed it up BANG on that beautiful ending to the title track.  :'(
Must check out the "It Bites" website to see if i can get it on CD.

JJ II

Last weekend the boys (John, John & Pete) played a marvellous acoustic set on the Marillion fanclub gig in Utrecht. [Can anyone post the exact order of the songs?]
They played one Urbane song, two It-Bites tracks and a handful Kino-stuff, inlcuding the epic (acousticly!).
Since I hadn't heard a note of the album, it was all new to me, but I was very much impressed. Some bits inmediatley grab me by the throat. I was very moved by "Picture", which must have come from John's deepest inner feeling, as was noticable. Completely honest and fragile.
Had a wonderful backstage-moment afterwards....
Hope to see them when on tour....!

JJ II

Moonloop

Quote from: Constable Hogweed on Sun, 2005-01-30, 03:03:28
"Once Around The World" ahhhhh a hidden classic of a prog album. Unfortunately i have it on tape, unfortunate because my old tape player chewed it up BANG on that beautiful ending to the title track.  :'(
Must check out the "It Bites" website to see if i can get it on CD.

Try:-

http://www.101cd.com/search/artistall.asp?artist=IT+BITES

They have both "Once" & "Louis" at the staggering price of £3.99  :o

Moonloop

Just to add that the limited CD/DVD version of the Kino album is apparently limited to 7000 copies worldwide.  ;D

Moonloop

No problem. Always happy to help other people spend their money  ;)

(2 seriously great albums though and I also gather Francis Dunnery's new album is due anytime now - not sure when as his site is undergoing a rework so it hasn't been updated since Dec)

Torch

Yeahhhhhhhh!!!  ;D Got it!!!!!!!!  ;D , Picture was in the shops yesterday, as promised!!  :D

great stuff!! of all members I guess musically it's closest to It Bites (if one would want to compare Kino to the bands it's members belong to that is) , but with a 'harder' edge... chorusses are of the 'will-stick-in-your-head-for-days' type  :)

All songs are killers, current favourites (listened to it for 2 days now) are 'Letting Go', 'Leave a Light on', 'All You See' and 'Holding On'. The prog epic (hehe) is growing a little slower, but I'm sure 'Loser's day parade' will be a favourite aswell.......
Go get this one, it rocks!!!!!!!

Looking forward to March 15 in Zoetermeer. Judging on this album, sequence of bands performing (Kino/Spock's Beard) should be the other way around............    ;D

Cheers,
Marc

ps. haven't got round to playng the dvd included yet, but I have seen the Rockpalast gig several times now (dvd-r); impressive stuff.... especially for a 2nd gig!!!!!!

Moonloop

Nice one...!! That's whet my appetite  :)  Mine's coming through the post so I'd expect it to be behind the door when I get home tonight  ;D

Moonloop

Got it. Played it. Great album..!!

As you say Torch, very akin to "It Bites" (no bad thing). Hope it becomes a 'proper band' and isn't a one-off project.

;D

Torch

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-03-03, 08:47:57
Got it. Played it. Great album..!!

As you say Torch, very akin to "It Bites" (no bad thing). Hope it becomes a 'proper band' and isn't a one-off project.

;D

actually Kino confirmed it isn't a one-off project!!! During the interview for Rockpalast Pete confirmed this........ (I think he even mentioned that they allready have a contract for a couple of albums with Inside-Out).......

Moonloop

That's excellent news  ;D

Cheers..!!

gelert

Quote from: Torch on Tue, 2005-03-01, 14:04:57
.....Looking forward to March 15 in Zoetermeer. Judging on this album, sequence of bands performing (Kino/Spock's Beard) should be the other way around....

Unfortunately, you may well be correct...! But, nevertheless, enjoy the gig...get any free beer going...because there sure is none going in the UK at the moment....
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

JJ II

There will be one on the 22nd....

check out www.kinomusic.com !

I was told the first edition (the one with DVD) was complete shipped, so it's taking off!!

JJ

gelert

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2005-03-14, 16:51:43
I was told the first edition (the one with DVD) was complete shipped, so it's taking off!!
JJ

EXCELLENT NEWS...none more deserving, IMHO...

...Apart from A.C.T., Arena, Ayreon, After The Fire, Asia, Barclay James Harvest, Blind Guardian, Boston, Camel, City Boy, Citizen Cain, Caravan, Cafe Jaques, Billy Squier, Beltane Fire, The Buggles, The Boomtown Rats, (in no particular order, you understand...!), and The Wombles <err... haven't you skipped a few shelves - ed?!>
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-03-14, 20:50:07
...Apart from A.C.T., Arena, Ayreon, After The Fire, Asia, Barclay James Harvest, Blind Guardian, Boston, Camel, City Boy, Citizen Cain, Caravan, Cafe Jaques, Billy Squier, Beltane Fire[/i]

"Beltane Fire"..  :o  ?? Whatever happened to them..?? Saw them supporting Marillion back in 85ish - bit like a cross between Big Country & The Stray Cats  ;D

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-03-03, 20:57:38

get any free beer going...because there sure is none going in the UK at the moment....

(sighs)  ::)

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-03-15, 14:33:30
(sighs)  ::)

Ok, Loopy....You're forgiven.....JUST....!  ;)

Beltane Fire released one album on vinyl, called "Different Breed", back "in the day"...

They tried to get a CD release, through Malc @ GFT, and yet failed (!)...clash of personalties, as I understand it...

There was a rumour of a second LP release - I even pre-ordered a copy through the HMV record-store in Oxford, in about 1992...

And on top of the LP not being released (for whatever reasons - none available to me...!), I was virtually kicked-out of HMV for wasting the manager's time, by ordering product that was not available....!  :P

Go figure...!

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-03-15, 18:11:00

And on top of the LP not being released (for whatever reasons - none available to me...!), I was virtually kicked-out of HMV for wasting the manager's time, by ordering product that was not available....!  :P

Go figure...!

LOL..!! Makes a change from HMV not being able to get products which are available  ;D  ::)

Thanks for the Beltane Fire history anyway - didn't know they had discussions with GFT..!! Don't suppose their only album wil ever get a CD pressing either  :-\

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-03-16, 08:55:41
Don't suppose their only album wil ever get a CD pressing either  :-\

Don't know about "commercially availab;e"....but is available "chez-moi"...I put my vinyl onto CD...

...had a job to centre the LP onto the CD, even with quick-drying superglue, but eventually (with the aid of a 10lb lump-hammer), I got track four (side one) to play....once....  ;D

POM

From now on, I've juste heard one song, wich was on a CD given when buying a progrock magazine... :)
It was very good...

And reading this post, it seems that the all album worth to be bought!  ;D