News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

'The Hound' - a question to Clive (and his fans)

Started by Rafal, Wed, 2005-06-08, 16:26:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafal

The more I listen to the "Hound..." album by Nolan-Wakeman team, the harder it is for me to accept the sad fact that these brilliant songs will never be performed live on tour due to the synchronization problems. I spent my last  listening to it, wondering whether some of its tunes could be performed by Arena, and if so - how would it sound. I ended up with a conclusion that either the mood or vocal melodies of most of the tracks would not suit Rob's voice and band's aura. Yet there is one exception that I am proud to point out. This is 'Seldon' - the album's most rocking and lyrically dark piece at the same time. This uptempo song would benefit any Arena concert and the mere thought of Rob singing it (especially the mellow 'Fables and fantasies...' part) sends shivers down my spine. Also the track has some of the best organ sounds by Clive (am I right Clive that it's you?) and I am sure John Mitchell would enjoy playing this terrific guitar solo in the middle. Yes, this is probably the most Arena-like song of all non-Arena albums. So how about playing it live some day, Clive? And what do others on the forum think?
Regards,
Rafal

Clive

Hi,

Nice idea, but I'm afraid that we do not 'cross-pollinate' the music of different bands.... this tends to water down the identity of any one act. This is one of the down points of having musicians in different bands (but an artistic and finacial neccessity for the musicians), because it can weaken the integrity of a particular line up. That's why we try and keep these things as seperate as we can.
That doesn't mean that the Hound tracks won't get a live airing at some stage.... I believe Oliver Wakeman plays some of these songs in his live set.... actually I'm playing one of them with Nick Barrett in Poland in a few weaks time when we record a DVD out there. Of course that will be an acoustic version!  :)

Saryna

Quote from: Clive on Wed, 2005-06-08, 16:45:50
Hi,

Nice idea, but I'm afraid that we do not 'cross-pollinate' the music of different bands.... this tends to water down the identity of any one act. This is one of the down points of having musicians in different bands (but an artistic and finacial neccessity for the

Hi Clive,

I hope I didn't offend you on the "Programme" thread where I mentioned something to the effect of 'bands that you have cross-pollenated with' might want to be in the programme..  What I mean't was, bands that you have collaborated with before or artists on your label.  Not that something got watered down or people doing covers or whatever.  Sorry if it came off that way.  I'll use another term next time.

keyboardistmatt

Hi,

Nice idea, but I'm afraid that we do not 'cross-pollinate' the music of different bands.... this tends to water down the identity of any one act. This is one of the down points of having musicians in different bands (but an artistic and finacial neccessity for the musicians), because it can weaken the integrity of a particular line up. That's why we try and keep these things as seperate as we can.
That doesn't mean that the Hound tracks won't get a live airing at some stage.... I believe Oliver Wakeman plays some of these songs in his live set.... actually I'm playing one of them with Nick Barrett in Poland in a few weaks time when we record a DVD out there. Of course that will be an acoustic version!  :)

...And this is how it starts....!  ;)

Clive I have 2 ideas...
1... How about doing a tour with a band formed from the musicians from the Nolan/Wakeman sessions... Arena headlining  + Nolan/Wakeman support? 8)

2... How about doing a show to celebrate the Birthday of Verglas music featuring all the artists and bands on the label? 8)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

gelert

GREAT idea, Matt...

...tho' Clive and Karl might have some long performances to contend with...

But it would be a MASSIVE marketing opportunity for Verglass / Thin Ice to expose Arena fans to the likes of Threshold and Shadowland...a carefully-arranged set-list would ensure interest without alienation...

Other "Record Labels" do this with "Sampler-CDs"...but how many have done this with live acts, since the 60's...?
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-06-09, 20:05:38

I'm sure they'd love it!  ;) ;D ;)

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-06-09, 20:05:38
GREAT idea, Matt...

But it would be a MASSIVE marketing opportunity for Verglass / Thin Ice to expose Arena fans to the likes of Threshold and Shadowland...a carefully-arranged set-list would ensure interest without alienation...

Other "Record Labels" do this with "Sampler-CDs"...but how many have done this with live acts, since the 60's...?

Fully agree (or 100% ack, as Peter would say, if he were here)  :)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

JJ II

I'd love to see the Thin Ice orchestra, including Tracy and Oliver do some things like Hound, Jabberwocky, Shadowland and maybe even a bit of Arena...

Yesterday I suddenly thought: a festival line-up touring around (say: 6 dates), including Jadis, Shadowland and... Kino. This would include more than enought artists to give us some interesting encores as well (e.g. Orford & Nolan playing their NO-track, or Jowitt, Nolan Mitchell doing an alternate version of Hanging Tree)....

But the again: a 4 hours package would not be very handy on a wednesday-night and I doubt if the boys will be ready to rehearse all this for a one-off on a saturdaynight.

So here's my alternative: bring Tracy and Karl for a support on the next Arena or Pendragon tour and do some Strangers/Jabberwocky/Shadz. Would be a tought night for Clive, but still....

ironcow2103

I believe Oliver Wakeman plays some of these songs in his live set....

His set at Sheffield comprised about 1/3 of Jabberwocky and Hound songs and overall they worked really well (not sure about having a male singer doing some of the songs sung by female singers on the CDs though).

The sad thing was the size of the crowd which was poor for such a fine musician... Maybe Oliver's band could support Arena sometime and Clive could do a guest Hound keyboard duet/duel?

Steve

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: ironcow2103 on Wed, 2005-06-29, 23:37:29
Maybe Oliver's band could support Arena sometime and Clive could do a guest Hound keyboard duet/duel?

This is what we are secretly, discreetly, in a friendly way trying to talk Clive into doing... But sssshhhhh... it's a secret.... ;) ;D

ironcow2103

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Thu, 2005-06-30, 00:20:54
This is what we are secretly, discreetly, in a friendly way trying to talk Clive into doing... But sssshhhhh... it's a secret.... ;) ;D

Ok - I won't let on!  ;)

Steve

ps. it might help ship some more Hound, Jabberwocky and Heaven's Isle CD's from the Verglas storeroom if he did... ;D