News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

10th anniversary tour - setlist

Started by JJ II, Tue, 2005-09-20, 09:42:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Spad

Quote from: ravenheart on Fri, 2005-10-14, 02:16:19
Mean Fiddler, London, England
October 13, 2005

Bedlam Fayre
A Crack in the Ice
Midas Vision
Elea
The Hanging Tree
A State of Grace
(Don't Forget To) Breathe
Smoke And Mirrors
Purgatory Road
Witch Hunt
An Angel Falls
Painted Man
Waiting for the Flood
Medusa
Serenity
The Shattered Room
City of Lanterns
Riding the Tide
Chosen
Skin Game
Enemy Without
------------------------------
Friday's Dream (Rob & Ian on acoustic guitars)
Crying For Help
Solomon
Jericho

Played for two and a half hours.

.... great!!! This is probably the only date with the complete 10th anniversary set-list!!!! Isn't it????
With also both Solomon and Jericho encores......  *ola*

Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

erik

Well, yesterday was sheer magic. The night everyting fell into place. The band were in that 'last gig of the European tour mood' which means very loose and relaxed, lots of jokes by Clive, puns aimed at their crew, Mick striking an Ian Anderson pose during his flute intro of Waiting For The Flood and so on. Meanwhile they played superb and the sound was excellent, right from the start. The setlist lasted a wonderful 2 hours and 45 minutes in which the audience was taken to an absolute boiling point! The roof went off! There were many beautiful moments, but Rob's wonderful performance during The Butterfly Man deserves to be mentioned.

And... Last but definitely not least there was the special appearance of two lost sons, Paul Wrightson and John Jowitt. John had been on stage with Arena earlier this year in Mexico and Germany, but Paul's last gig with Arena was at the Paradiso (Amsterdam) in 1998. Except for the soundcheck (merely two songs!) he had not rehearsed with the band, but it seemed as if he had never been away. He sang A Crack In The Ice walking through the crowd from the back of the venue towards the stage just as he did during The Visitor tour. Then Elea introduced The Hanging Tree which was the absolute highlight, shivers all over and a lump in my throat. This special set in the Visitor line up was rounded off with A State Of Grace and Medusa.

What a night! A memorable finale of the Tenth Anniversary Tour.

The complete setlist (not 100% sure of exact order):

Bedlam Fayre
Midas Vision
Smoke And Mirrors
Purgatory Road
Witch Hunt
An Angel Falls
The Painted Man
Waiting For The Flood
Serenity
The Shattered Room
City Of Lanterns
Riding The Tide
Chosen
Skin Game
The Butterfly Man
Enemy Without
----
Encores I - with Paul Wrightson & John Jowitt

A Crack In The Ice
Elea
The Hanging Tree
A State Of Grace
Medusa

----
Encores II

Solomon
Jericho
Crying For Help VII (with Paul and John)

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-10-17, 15:08:28
This is the exact setlist. (Yay to my mobilefoon notebook :D)
Thanks! Modified my post accordingly  ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Peter

whoa, must've been fantastic. too bad i couldn't make it to the gig. *envy* :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

mdread666

Any signs that it was being recorded for a DVD release?
It would be criminal if they didn't release a DVD from their 10th anniv tour!!

I saw them at the Mean Fiddler on 13th and this was fantastic - possibly the best gig by any band that I have been to, but with Paul guesting aswell I guess that Zoetermeer may have even have topped this!
mdread666

...for it is a human number,
It's number is six hundred and sixty six.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: mdread666 on Mon, 2005-10-17, 11:58:45

I saw them at the Mean Fiddler on 13th and this was fantastic - possibly the best gig by any band that I have been to, but with Paul guesting aswell I guess that Zoetermeer may have even have topped this!
It did ;)

More from me later. (Some pics are already placed by Nijntje in the Duth section.)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Appelmoes??

Bedlam Fayre
Midas Vision
Smoke And Mirrors
Purgatory Road
Witch Hunt
An Angel Falls
The Painted Man
Waiting For The Flood
Serenity
The Shattered Room
City Of Lanterns
Riding The Tide
Chosen
Skin Game
The Butterfly Man
Enemy Without
----
Encores I - with Paul Wrightson & John Jowitt

A Crack In The Ice
Elea
The Hanging Tree
A State Of Grace
Medusa

----
Encores II

Solomon
Jericho
Crying For Help VII (with Paul and John)

This is the exact setlist. (Yay to my mobilefoon notebook :D)

I think the only song from the setlistpaper, shown above, they didn't play was friday's dream, but I think that song as an encore would have been out of place considering the mood the crowd was in at that moment, which was: Totaly out of their minds ;D *ola*

It was really great to see Paul and John in action. Specially since I became a fan just a few years ago and never saw them live.
When the big instrumental part of Solomon was played I had goose bumps al over.. WOW, that was great!

Thank's guys for a wonderfull evening I will never forget

My drawings on MySpace

Invisible_Jen

wauw! that was real magic last night! ;D and what a great setlist!

it was my first concert of Arena but certainly not my last!

thank you Guys for a great show with pure magic! :) ;D

really, everything was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo amazing!

once again,
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!
:) :)
I have read all your letters
I know what you contain
I have dreamt your dreams....

erik

Quote from: mdread666 on Mon, 2005-10-17, 11:58:45
I thought one of the gigs in Poland was to be filmed for a possible DVD release (just like the recordings for Caught In The Act during the previous tour), but I'm not sure this actually happened/will happen.

@Invisible_Jen: yes pure magic indeed!! :)

@Appelmoes: totally out of their minds and with sore throats! ::) mine still is today!  ;D

@Peter: not to rub it in, but you did miss a unique gig! :(
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Peter

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2005-10-17, 21:36:20
@Peter: not to rub it in, but you did miss a unique gig! :(

Thanks, that was what I needed... *smack* :P
I would've very much liked to get to know you guys, too.... ah, next time :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

erik

Quote from: Peter on Mon, 2005-10-17, 21:44:22
Thanks, that was what I needed... *smack* :P
I would've very much liked to get to know you guys, too.... ah, next time :)
Yeah that would be cool! When do we start producing Shattered Room tokens like badges, T-shirts etc so that we can easily recognize eachother at the gigs? On the Dutch forum there are evolving endless threads trying to figure out who has seen who and who was who at the gig yesterday ;D
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Appelmoes??

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2005-10-17, 21:49:57
Yeah that would be cool! When do we start producing Shattered Room tokens like badges, T-shirts etc so that we can easily recognize eachother at the gigs? On the Dutch forum there are evolving endless threads trying to figure out who has seen who and who was who at the gig yesterday ;D
Yes, that would be a good idea. (Since my Appelmoes??-polo didn't work...  >:(  :P)

My drawings on MySpace

NijntjeRocks

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-10-17, 21:51:35
(Since my Appelmoes??-polo didn't work...  >:(  :P)
Duh, you stood with your back to the bar, so only the bartender could read it :P
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

jharke

I've been to both gig's in de Boerderij. It was amazing!

Appelmoes??

Quote from: NijntjeRocks on Mon, 2005-10-17, 23:18:07
Duh, you stood with your back to the bar, so only the bartender could read it :P
And he didn't make an announcement >:(

My drawings on MySpace

bassie

Hi All,

First of all: i also very much enjoyed the concert in my former home-town Zoetermeer. Rob has really grown on stage the last couple of times, though I still prefer his studio work over his performances. But he's getting better...

On another note:
Does anyone here have a clue where I can find any recordings from Paul with other bands or what he has been up to musically the last couple of years?
I have always been a real fan of his and seeing/hearing him perform The Hanging Tree brought shivers and took me back to that legendary performance in Paradiso all those years ago. I'd really like to know is there are other recordings that i can listen to of this brilliant performer.
(Nothing against Rob, he IS the arena-singer now and I like his singing, but Paul's performances always gave it a bit extra. Anyone else feel this way BTW?)

Txs.

Appelmoes??

I'm leaning towards Rob. I really like his voice. He can sing a very nice "ballad" like "an angel falls" and also sing a good rock song like "witch hunt". IMO his voice is more versatile.

There is a poll on this forum where you can vote on your fav. arena singer.

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

I'm extremely envious of all of you. :(

I need to step outside. ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Appelmoes??

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Tue, 2005-10-18, 20:42:25
I'm extremely envious of all of you. :(

I need to step outside. ;D
Sorry KBM, maybe 10 years from now they will have a concert like this in England :)

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-10-19, 12:46:17
Sorry KBM, maybe 10 years from now they will have a concert like this in England :)

If you please, The Mean Fiddler is in LONDON, ENGLAND!! ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

erik

Quote from: bassie on Tue, 2005-10-18, 10:31:19
Hi All,

First of all: i also very much enjoyed the concert in my former home-town Zoetermeer. Rob has really grown on stage the last couple of times, though I still prefer his studio work over his performances. But he's getting better...

On another note:
Does anyone here have a clue where I can find any recordings from Paul with other bands or what he has been up to musically the last couple of years?
I have always been a real fan of his and seeing/hearing him perform The Hanging Tree brought shivers and took me back to that legendary performance in Paradiso all those years ago. I'd really like to know is there are other recordings that i can listen to of this brilliant performer.
(Nothing against Rob, he IS the arena-singer now and I like his singing, but Paul's performances always gave it a bit extra. Anyone else feel this way BTW?)

Txs.
Also as a reply on the discussion in this thread; Personally, I think Rob is technically definitely the better vocalist, he has a better, more varied and more powerful voice. His stage performance has developed a lot and especially in The Butterfly Man he is great. Also remember the impressive pose during the guitar solo of the song The Visitor (Immortal Tour), his arms raised high, looking up with his eyes closed surrounded by bright lights. Great!
But I do feel the "Paul Wrightson effect" in terms of being really moved by his vocals and stage performance (especially in The Hanging Tree).
I love Rob's vocals on Contagion, on Immortal? and Pepper's Ghost they seem a bit more 'cold' somehow (also something to do with the production I suppose, the vocals are very "up front" on Contagion). Don't know if I'm making any sense here but well...

As to recordings of other projects of Paul and what he's up to now: Arena was Paul's first real prog band, his roots lie in rock/heavy metal. One of his pre-Arena bands was Circus, which did gigs including one at The Marquee and did some (demo?) recordings (Jacko The Clown is the title of one of the songs), but I don't know of any official releases and they split up. Paul's currently active in a Deep Purple cover band, but don't have any details on that.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..