News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Twilight of the Bands

Started by Clive, Fri, 2007-08-03, 10:17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrey_G

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-12-02, 13:27:02
Hi Andrey, Welcome to this great site for Arena and other serious bands.
I already wrote some posts here long ago, but have forgot the password and re-logged  ;D
QuoteAnd you have a long cold winter to get through  :)
Not so cold. Last year snow has fallen only after the Xmas (our orthodox Xmas is Jan.7th)
Although right now it is snow. But tomorrow it will melted anyway. What a nice weather for driving.  :-\
QuoteBy the way, my name, Nicholas Peter, is derived from the Russian czars  ;)
Peter was really great, but both of Nicholas were not so. Especially second of them because he let the revolution happen.
By the way, when I have seen your signature, I first thought that IQ singer also is here! :)

Nicky007

Quote from: Andrey_G on Sun, 2007-12-02, 17:21:38
I already wrote some posts here long ago, but have forgot the password and re-logged.

Are you the young man who was looking for a musician for your band ?  :)

> Peter was really great, but both of Nicholas were not so. Especially second of them because he let the revolution happen.

Interesting, Andrey, never thought of it that way.  8)

> By the way, when I have seen your signature, I first thought that IQ singer also is here! :)

I dont understand what you mean  :(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Andrey_G

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-12-02, 18:02:19
Are you the young man who was looking for musician for your band ?  :)
Not me. And I'm not so young, unfortunately.
QuoteI dont understand what you mean  :(
At the very first look I have read your name as "Peter Nichols". :)

Nicky007

Quote from: Andrey_G on Sun, 2007-12-02, 18:30:58
Not me. And I'm not so young, unfortunately.

I'm 52 myself. Whether that's fortunate or not, I dont know; that's the course of life, isnt it, Andrey? Each age has its pros and contras, isnt that so?

At 52, I'm not struggling as much with my libido and pimples as earlier; gives me time for other things  ;)

> At the very first look I have read your name as "Peter Nichols". :)

OK, now I got it. Never thought about this proximity, but then again, I'm not much of an IQ fan. (If you're interested in what I like, you can take a look at my Listening Profile.)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Be welcome, Andrey_G into the Room.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Andrey_G

QuoteI'm 52 myself.
Oh! Then I'm really young. Just 37.
QuoteBe welcome, Andrey_G into the Room.
Thanks! :)

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-12-02, 18:40:57OK, now I got it. Never thought about this proximity, but then again, I'm not much of an IQ fan. (If you're interested in what I like, you can take a look at my Listening Profile.)

Seriously dude! Buy Dark Matter and The Seventh House and come back to me after that.
It will suit your Arena ears!

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2007-12-02, 22:39:17
Seriously dude! Buy Dark Matter and The Seventh House and come back to me after that.
It will suit your Arena ears!

Dude, I have listened to Dark Matter several times. Nice music, even quite Floydean, but too little going on for my taste (or temperament). The longdrawn organ passages dont do it for me any longer.

Also the lyrics arent up to Arena level imo.

Thirty years ago, this sorta music woulda been the right thing for me, but today I need somethin more b*sy -  like NP Opeth's Deliverance.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-12-03, 10:36:19Dude, I have listened to Dark Matter several times. Nice music, even quite Floydean, but too little going on for my taste (or temperament). The longdrawn organ passages dont do it for me any longer.

Dude, I was also talking about The Seventh House, dude.
Dark Matter is more retro (back to roots) than The Seventh House. The Seventh House is a bit darker, ironically.
Dude, did I also say that The Seventh House is (in my opinion) better and closer to Arena than Dark Matter?
And did I say dude?

-Paco

EDIT: By the way (dude), did you listen to Dark Matter at least ten times? ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2007-12-03, 11:09:53
Dude, I was also talking about The Seventh House, dude.

I'll keep that in mind, dude.

Hey, are you learning any biology these days?  ;)

As you know from this topic - note: on-topic again guys - nobody, I repeat: nobody, makes any lucre out of prog (and not me, for sure).

Otoh if we take some of our beloved music with us into the next world, we'll be a lot better off than everyone else, huh dude?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

JJ II

Quotedid I also say that The Seventh House is (in my opinion) better and closer to Arena than Dark Matter?

Personally, I like Dark Matter more. It sounds better (great organ-sounds) and is less fragmented than Seventh House. I love the title track and Erosion, but somehow lose interest along the way.

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-12-03, 11:46:59Hey, are you learning any biology these days?  ;)
Yes, but at the moment of replying in this topic this morning, I was at my course school, playing teacher and telling those darn kids to stay off hyves/myspace/youtube/MSN.

Hehehe

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-12-03, 11:46:59Otoh if we take some of our beloved music with us into the next world, we'll be a lot better off than everyone else, huh dude?
You talking to me? ;D
I agree bradda.

-Paco

Appelmoes??

What's wrong with myspace? ???
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2007-12-03, 17:39:43What's wrong with myspace? ???
Well nothing. Nothing directly that is. Same goes for youtube and MSN (....and hyves...).

It's just that they should get to work, instead of play. ;D

-Paco

maddox

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2007-12-03, 17:54:25
Well nothing. Nothing directly that is. Same goes for youtube and MSN (....and hyves...).

It's just that they should get to work, instead of play. ;D

-Paco

When you think that through i must say that a part of what you're saying is true: the youth of nowadays has the tendency to be lazy but when you describe things like Youtube, Hyves, Myspace and MSN shouldn't you include fora's as well?  ;)

PH

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2007-12-04, 20:34:45When you think that through i must say that a part of what you're saying is true: the youth of nowadays has the tendency to be lazy but when you describe things like Youtube, Hyves, Myspace and MSN shouldn't you include fora's as well?  ;)

Of course!
I was not being the right example. But as long as they don't see it, they don't know it. And I was a teacher after all! They have to obey me! (Muhahaha!)
I had nothing to do, just playing a surveillant... And they had lots of things to do! That's a difference! ;)

Incredibly off topic...

-Paco

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-12-04, 21:22:18

Incredibly off topic...

-Paco

As always.  ;)

Well with Blue and Nicky as our teacher in Off-topicness i think we're doing a fine job here.  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2007-12-04, 21:46:13
Well with Blue and Nicky as our teacher in Off-topicness i think we're doing a fine job here.  ;D

ME  :o :o :o

OK, guilty as charged   ;D

> Muhahaha!

New to me. Is this the way marshies laugh? exclaim? or sh*?   ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-12-04, 22:04:40
> Muhahaha!

New to me. Is this the way marshies laugh? exclaim? or sh*?   ;D

Nicky.

Isn't that the way Dr. Evil (in the "Austin Powers" movies) laughs...?
Thanks for giving me another chance to go off-topic! ;)

gwf64

I simply cannot understand how some people might like a band such as Arena and not purchase their legal releases.  It should be such a clear message that if people download illegally, bands on their own labels such as Arena are the first to suffer. 

Andrey_G

I still waiting for the reply from Clive and other Arena guys...
The topics I've created in Runet (after reading of that one) really brought a responce. I bet that will be continued at the next issue of "InRock" magazine edited by V.Milovidov (aka Impaler). Also I've tried to open Arena & Pendragon music for some orthodox classic-rock fans. Hope it worked.
I want to thank John Jowitt for recent autograph for me on Visitor's booklet (along with the rest bandmates made 3 years ago), him again, John Mitchell and Andy Edwards for the invaluable help for my friends (you know whom I mean!).  I'm very impressed, thank you again and again!
Keep on rockin'!

POM

Quote from: bluepony on Fri, 2007-08-03, 13:02:03
Yep, I totally agree!

On the other hand, when there were still tapes (I wonder, does anybody still listen to music cassettes?), people were trading tapes with the latest "hot" bands/music, then it was trading CDs, now it's downloading... as long as you just download as a test and then go out and buy the album, I think it's OK. But of course I know that there are many people out there who download just everything they can get (music, movies etc.).  :-[

I agree with that!!
I'm not dowloading,I'm buying, because I know most of the band I'm listening to really need this money, and I enjoy it 'cause most of the time, artwork of the album really worth it. :)  *horns*

Bluepony, I have old tapes here at the office, and I was thinking this morning to throw it all away, we don't even have a taperecorder anymore  ;D

bluepony

Quote from: POM on Thu, 2008-01-03, 11:34:27
Bluepony, I have old tapes here at the office, and I was thinking this morning to throw it all away, we don't even have a taperecorder anymore  ;D

Nooo! Don't throw them away!! You never know what treasures you might have there... Why not go and buy a walkman instead? ;)