News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2009-07-11, 11:21:40
You're giving me advice on how to eat sausages? :D

I'v actually always enjoyed sausages and burgers, Paxi. Until about 25 years ago, I ate masses of the stone-age types, but after that I converted to the non-violent types (soy, quorn, wheat). During recent years, some excellent veggie sausages and burgers have come on the market, which you can also throw on the grill. Just also to indicate that one doesnt need to change one's lifestyle when going veggie  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

erik

Re: Dire Straits, it happens I also recently put Alchemy on my shopping list! I had discarded Dire Straits some time ago (literally, got rid of On The Night because among the really good tracks a few tracks really began to annoy me: Money For Nothing, Walk Of Life and Heavy Fuel), but they did make some great music and I just got the wrong live album, should be getting Alchemy instead, if just for Telepgraph Road.

Re: Flower Kings, same here, doesn't click with me, have tried Retropolis and Stardust We Are. I do like the very first album The Flower King though (released under the name Roine Stolt), like its "mood" and has less noodling and great guitarwork. The vocals are still an issue though.
As for noodling, DT are kings of noodling of course, but it's more to my liking in the context of their music.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Sun, 2009-07-12, 15:33:45
As for noodling, DT are kings of noodling of course, but it's more to my liking in the context of their music.

Maybe it's cause I'v worked a lot with the electric guitar and keyboards myself. The stuff JP and Jordan do hardly ever seems senseless or boring to me; it invariably ranges somewhere on the scale from interesting to exciting to divine.

Mike's stuff also grips me more and more, the more I get into DT.

Jamie is in my book a fine singer, altho not brilliant.

JM is of course excellent too, how excellent I havent yet figured for myself .....

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-07-10, 17:08:55

Amazingly, I think I agree with both of you about Dire Straits.  It's really not that strange that their biggest success would be one that you didn't like much -- think about what kind of music is usually a success on that scale.  We're the kind who tend to appreciate music the general public won't give a chance.  I don't really think it's such a bad song, but it's more of a novelty, and it got played so much that even if you didn't start out hating it, you probably ended up tired of it.  I think Knopfler did what a lot of gifted musicians do after a while -- he drifted off in a direction that isn't that interesting to his old fans.  Even my beloved Peter Gabriel did that, although I do feel obligated to give the newer stuff another chance since he's who he is.  Knopler did good stuff with DS, but I don't worship him so much that I feel I have to listen to soundtracks.  BTW, I have Alchemy (only on vinyl, unfortunately), and my recollection is, it's quite good.

Words of wisdom  :)

Quote from: erik on Sun, 2009-07-12, 15:33:45
Re: Dire Straits, it happens I also recently put Alchemy on my shopping list! I had discarded Dire Straits some time ago (literally, got rid of On The Night because among the really good tracks a few tracks really began to annoy me: Money For Nothing, Walk Of Life and Heavy Fuel), but they did make some great music and I just got the wrong live album, should be getting Alchemy instead, if just for Telepgraph Road.

You should not be disappointed  :)

Nicky007

Just added Fish to my pantheon. He's a fabulous singer, and his lyrics are intriguing  *horns*

In my experience, the excitement of early Marillion went with Fish. He got some great musicians to work with him on his albums  8)

I have Suits and Field Of Crows. I can warmly recommend both  ;)

Any more, guys ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-07-20, 17:42:24
Just added Fish to my pantheon. He's a fabulous singer, and his lyrics are intriguing  *horns*

In my experience, the excitement of early Marillion went with Fish. He got some great musicians to work with him on his albums  8)

I have Suits and Field Of Crows. I can warmly recommend both  ;)

Any more, guys ?

Yes. Try his first solo-release 'Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors' and his latest album '13th Star'. I really like 'em.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Like Tom already said, Vigil is a must have.
Personally i don't like 13th Star.
Suits and Fields Of Crows are quite good but you should also check Felini Days. Fields and Felini are both underestimated albums for i'm concerned.

And last but certainly not least: You should give a go on Sunset On Empire.
That's his second-best.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

erik

Definitely get Vigil, that's the only one I have, really good. Don't get Suits, I did but did not like it and sold it in the end. :-\
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Bupie

Internal Exile is my favorite but I also like Vigil and Sunsets very much. I don't know Suits nor Raingods nor Fellini and so far, Fields and 13th Star have not really grabbed me.

A great artist, anyway  *horns*

Nicky007

Thanks for the tips for Fish-albums, guys  8)

At this point, I have to have all his studio albums, nine altogether, + one in the making.

I saw in the Wikipedia article about him ( Fish (artist) ) that there are about twenty live albums with him, more or less official. Any tips here ?  ;)

I added Big Brother & The Holding Company to my Past Masters. These guys were amazing. You hear Janis delivering herself totally in her singing. This is a testimony to one of the greatest and most genuine rock artists, who ended up being sacrificed on the rock altar  *horns* *horns* *horns*   (whatever that means)

Jonesy, Aswas, Iggy, Greenie, were any of you oldies into Big Brother and/or Janis at the time ?  ;)

Also added Eddie Vedder's song Guaranteed from his soundtrack Into The Wild to my SO-list. Wonderful song  *horns*

Greenie, Tom  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-08-03, 18:02:36

Jonesy, Aswas, Iggy, Greenie, were any of you oldies into Big Brother and/or Janis at the time ?  ;)

Nicky.

I'm not quite enough of an oldie to have heard them while Janis was still with us, but I did enjoy them during my college days.   One of my best friends was a fanatic about music from that era (Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Canned Heat, The Blue Cheer, etc.).  Janis's name was spoken with reverence.

I've got the solo Eddie Vedder on my to be checked out list.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Added Jeff Loomis to my pantheon  *horns*

+ the tracks Jato Unit and Cashmere Shiv from his album Zero Order Phase to my SO-list  8)

Didnt take long  :)

Also added Enslaved's Ground from their album Vertebrae  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

aswas

Nicky,
Janis Joplin could so easily get immersed into her songs to the point that when she sang them, she looked like she was about to explode.  But man she could belt the blues more than just about anyone else. Still have a vinyl of her, all wrapped in plastic, never opened...Pearl
don't fly... too close to the sun

Nicky007

Yeah, guess these things happen to proggies: I can't even remember why I decided to check up Dave Matthews Band on Wiki, but from this article, they seemed interesting to me, so I went out on MySpace to give'm a run. The first three songs were nice, but when I hit Time Bomb, I got stuck (yaknow, in a nice way ;D ;) ), and within an hour, Big Whiskey And The GrooGrux King ended up on my shopping list  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-08-08, 10:46:39
Yeah, guess these things happen to proggies: I can't even remember why I decided to check up Dave Matthews Band on Wiki, but from this article, they seemed interesting to me, so I went out on MySpace to give'm a run. The first three songs were nice, but when I hit Time Bomb, I got stuck (yaknow, in a nice way ;D ;) ), and now, somehow, Big Whiskey And The GrooGrux King ended up on my shopping list  8)

Nicky.

They're sort of a refreshing kind of pop.  They're quirky enough that they're not the same old thing, and they tend to do interesting things with vocals and odd timings.

Nicky007

Yeah, I agree with your characterisation, Greenie  8)

Added Mark Arrington to my fave drummers. What he does on Zero Order Phase is beyond my wildest dreams  *horns*

Sh*, everything on that darned album is f*in over the top !!!

Tom, I can understand why you'v gone underground  ;D

Neil Kernon has also done an fabulous job producing it, adding keyboards and programming etc.

I think that those three guys knew that they were doin sumthin very special.

Maybe one day I should add a "Fave producers" to my LP ... except presently I don't feel quite up to grading'm  :-\

Mark was the original drummer for Nevermore  8)

Wiki, Nevermore (album):  "Nevermore was singer Warrel Dane and bassist Jim Sheppard's first release after the break with their previous band - Sanctuary - in 1994. Having recruited drummer Van Williams and former Sanctuary touring guitarist Jeff Loomis, they formed the band Nevermore and began working on this, their eponymous debut.

This was Nevermore's first and only album to feature original drummer Mark Arrington, although he is not credited as the drummer on the album. He did play the majority of the tracks, however."

???

Jonesy also reminded me of Ziggy Stardust on the Now Playing Thread. Gotta get that great album, so I added it to my shopping list. I have Diamond Dogs, which probably is my fave Bowie album - all nice and grungy and gooey  ;D   guys, let's not forget that once Bowie was transforming rock, record by record  *horns*  - and a coupl'o other Bowie albums from later times that, altho they'r good too, I don't listen much to  :-\

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

As I can see that I'm rather remote from Room lore with my current musical preferences and thoughts, I'v spent some time updating my LP instead of posting.

Added Cream and Doors to my Past Masters, as they were groundbreaking bands, and Doors were actually the first rock band that really gripped me (with Waiting For The Sun), and shortly after Cream did the same with me. Before Doors I'd heard some rock pieces that I liked by different bands, but with Doors it became a true passion  *horns*

With Cream, I'd say that there was a period during '67-68 when they ruled the prog scene. Then Zep took over in '69. Whadaya say, Jonesy ?

Made some further, less important changes in my LP.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-08-13, 13:15:30
With Cream, I'd say that there was a period during '67-68 when they ruled the prog scene. Then Zep took over in '69. Whadaya say, Jonesy ?

I don't know, I'm not old enough to remember. My grandfather spoke highly of them, however ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-08-13, 13:15:30
As I can see that I'm rather remote from Room lore with my current musical preferences and thoughts, I'v spent some time updating my LP instead of posting.

Added Cream and Doors to my Past Masters, as they were groundbreaking bands, and Doors were actually the first rock band that really gripped me (with Waiting For The Sun), and shortly after Cream did the same with me. Before Doors I'd heard some rock pieces that I liked by different bands, but with Doors it became a true passion  *horns*

Made some further, less important changes in my LP.

Nicky.

I've always liked the Doors quite a lot.  And, as it happens, I really like Waiting for the Sun in particular also.  I never thought of them as prog, but I think you could indeed look at them that way, given the norm for music during that period.  'The End' was a favorite during my particularly nihilistic period.   Nowadays, they come under the heading of "always happy to listen to them when they come on, but I rarely go out of my way to play them."  Along with Zep, The Who, and some others, they're great without question, but I've heard them a lot, so a little taste now and then is about right.  Cream I don't know as well, although I've certainly heard all the well-known songs.  I generally like them, and my main useful(?) comment is that I tend to like Eric Clapton more with Cream than without.  The Yardbirds weren't bad either.   ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-08-13, 16:00:28
I don't know, I'm not old enough to remember. My grandfather spoke highly of them, however ;D

In your family, Jonesy, your granpa could easily have been yer older brother - or even sister  :P

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-08-13, 17:31:49
I've always liked the Doors quite a lot.  And, as it happens, I really like Waiting for the Sun in particular also.

Nice, Greenie  :)

I never thought of them as prog, but I think you could indeed look at them that way, given the norm for music during that period.

Yeah, I'd think so. They definitely had a new sound, Jim Morrison had some very special lyrics, and there was a progression from album to album, at least up to Waiting For The Sun.

Cream I don't know as well, although I've certainly heard all the well-known songs.

That's probably cause you'v lived in the States all your life, Greenie. Times werent as global then. Among European proggies, I think Cream were the biggest band at the time of Disraeli Gears and Wheels Of Fire.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-08-13, 17:50:10
That's probably cause you'v lived in the States all your life, Greenie. Times werent as global then. Among European proggies, I think Cream were the biggest band at the time of Disraeli Gears and Wheels Of Fire.

That may be somewhat true, although Cream were by no means ignored in the U.S.  Certain of their songs still get fairly consistent radio play to this day.  I think the main reason I know the Doors better is that during college (when I first became truly immersed in music), everyone I knew played the Doors, and only a couple people played Cream.  This may have something to do with the Doors often being associated with the drug culture...   ::)

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-08-13, 17:50:10
In your family, Jonesy, your granpa could easily have been yer older brother - or even sister  :P

Grampa Sue-Ellen gets a lot of bad press, is all ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Nicky007

Listened to Jon Anderson's Change We Must, and was reminded of how great this guy is - his music, his spirit, his poetry. So I added him to my prog pantheon (should'v done so long ago), and moved "Jon & Vangelis" from "Past masters" to this insertion. (Hope you'r pleased, Iggy and Aswas)  :)

Also added Roger Waters to my pantheon, and removed him from my Pink Floyd line. He has an impressive "solo" catalogue, or more correctly, it's Roger and friends. Till now, with Dave and Rick, I like their Floyd stuff more than their solo stuff, so I keep the solo albums under the Floyd heading.

But of course great stuff, all'o it  *horns*

Realised that I had to have Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA after reading the article below, so I added the album to my SL  8)

Some thirty years ago, Springsteen was my fave artist for a while. I really dug Darkness, The River, and Born To Run.

These days I only play him rarely. He doesnt seem to come up with anything really new, or ?

Any'o you guys into Springsteen ?  ;)

From AARP - The Magazine (Sept-Oct 2009):

"Ron Kovic's book Born On The Fourth Of July inspired Bruce Springsteen to write the 1984 hit Born In The USA.

Ron Kovic: 'In the late 1970's I was living in Hollywood at the Sunset Marquis Hotel. I'd sleep and then write every day. I'd take a break in the afternoon and sit at the pool to clear my head. One afternoon I was watching this young man in the pool, swimming up a storm. He looked familiar, like Bruce Springsteen. I went over to him in my wheelchair. 'Excuse me, you probably don't know me, but my name is Ron Kovic. I'm a Vietnam veteran, and I wrote a book called Born On The Fourth Of July.'

He looked surprised. 'You're that guy ? I just read your book. I couldn't put it down.' Two or three days later I opened up the front door of my hotel room. An album and a bunch of tapes fell down. He had picked up Darkness On The Edge Of Town and some of his earlier albums. He had written: 'If my music can touch you and move you as much as your book moved me, that will mean a lot to me. Bruce Springsteen.'

He invited me to see him at Winterland in San Francisco. All of a sudden he told the story to the audience about how he picked up Born On The Fourth Of July and how much it had meant to him. He went on to talk about how he met a guy named Ron Kovic. Then he sang Darkness On The Edge Of Town. He said, 'This one's for you, Ron.' I sat there in my wheelchair with tears in my eyes.'"

I agree with Ron and Bruce (and Oliver Stone) that Americans have done a lot of crap, but I do believe, like these three guys also seem to, that the Americans have protected us in the free world from far worse crap budding here and there all over the world !

And they make some f*in great prog  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

aswas

Great info Nicky, and yeah glad to hear you like A Change We Must. I need to add some stuff too.
don't fly... too close to the sun

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-08-17, 16:29:33
Listened to Jon Anderson's Change We Must, and was reminded of how great this guy is - his music, his spirit, his poetry. So I added him to my prog pantheon (should'v done so long ago), and moved "Jon & Vangelis" from "Past masters" to this insertion. (Hope you'r pleased, Iggy and Aswas)  :)

Also added Roger Waters to my pantheon, and removed him from my Pink Floyd line. He has an impressive "solo" catalogue, or more correctly, it's Roger and friends. Till now, with Dave and Rick, I like their Floyd stuff more than their solo stuff, so I keep the solo albums under the Floyd heading.

But of course great stuff, all'o it  *horns*

Realised that I had to have Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA after reading the article below, so I added the album to my SL  8)

Some thirty years ago, Springsteen was my fave artist for a while. I really dug Darkness, The River, and Born To Run.

These days I only play him rarely. He doesnt seem to come up with anything really new, or ?

Any'o you guys into Springsteen ?  ;)

Nicky.

I like much of Jon Anderson's stuff Olias is still my favourite though.

I too enjoy Roger Waters stuff Amused to Death gets my vote here.

And Finally I have listened to Bruce Springsteen but find it fairly repetitive. Always well played but not the top of my playlist.