News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Camera Man Wants Sacking? What do you think.

Started by intruder, Sun, 2006-12-03, 19:15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

intruder

Upon watching the Smoke and Mirrors dvd for the first time, (which I must state is a superb production) there was one thing on the track The Shattered Room which really P***ed me off. And that is the fact that during Clive's solo, (which I would of thought would of been the obvious place for the camera to be pointing) why is the camera focused on John Mitchell and Ian Salmon. My first reaction was that, if that was my concert DVD, I would have pounded my fists into the camera man, and asked him if he was off his head on drugs or something. My second reaction was that, the reason the camera was not on clive, was because the solo was recorded, and he was not playing it live. I wonder if clive can give a reason why the camera man, was not in my opinion doing is job right. But then again, I could be entirely wrong. It would be interesting to see what the members opinions are here on this, and if they have noticed it before.

Peter

Errrm, I'm obviously not "the band".... and I could be terribly wrong, but I have the slightest impression that Clive feels a lot better with the camera NOT pointing at him too much, overall.... if you know what I mean.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

intruder

Yes I think you are right Peter. I have just watched the DVD twice today, and I can't see a thing wrong with it, and yet the first time I watched the dvd, it gave me the impression that the camera was not on clive at all. God knows what I was on the first time I watched it lol. But for the life of me, I cannot see nothing wrong with it now, and am feeling a right wally now for posting the subject in the first place. So my sincere appologies go out to the camera man and clive.  :-[ :-[ :-[

johninblack

Quote from: intruder on Mon, 2006-12-04, 19:21:33
Yes I think you are right Peter. I have just watched the DVD twice today, and I can't see a thing wrong with it, and yet the first time I watched the dvd, it gave me the impression that the camera was not on clive at all. God knows what I was on the first time I watched it lol. But for the life of me, I cannot see nothing wrong with it now, and am feeling a right wally now for posting the subject in the first place. So my sincere appologies go out to the camera man and clive.  :-[ :-[ :-[

But does this not just go to prove that first impressions are not as reliable as we like to think.

Unicorn

camera men don't decide who they film. There's a director who tells them what to show.
But I like how the DVD was cut. And the Audio is great also

PH

Quote from: Unicorn on Tue, 2006-12-05, 21:02:57
camera men don't decide who they film. There's a director who tells them what to show.
But I like how the DVD was cut. And the Audio is great also

Besides, there's multiple cameramen. And the cameras keep running all the time.
It's just a matter of selecting and directing indeed.

Mick

Hi,

I think I need to get involved with this..........you might or might not know that this DVD was licensed to Metal Mind in Poland so basically all we (Arena) had to do was turn up and play, everything else was down to them! I requested that I had a look at the footage before it was released and as the way things are with a production like this its all left to the last minute but I was sent the final cut with 24 hours to go through it. It was at this point I had the opportunity to (as some of you have noticed) show i.e. Clive playing a solo instead of someone else walking around and after watching the DVD for a whole day I made a list of about 50 different camera positions ranging from sticking with the soloist for 30seconds (or what ever) to a one second shot of a link and so on.
Once we received the finished product some of you would have got you hands the first pressing and noticed that not only did Metal Mind ignore my suggestions they managed to get the sound a vision out of synchronisation by about 1 second (hence some of you had to send back the DVD) so on there second attempt the camera positions were ignored again but they did manage to get the sound working with the vision so clearly someone didn't do what they should have and we couldn't ask for a third pressing but having said that the quality of sound and vision is excellent so
If we get the opportunity to do another DVD I'll make sure I'm the director!

Mick Pointer

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Appelmoes??

If you want things done proper, better do it yourself :)
Thanks Mick! *horns*
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

intruder

Thanks a lot Mick... Yes the overhaul production of picture and sound is very good indeed, and I hope to god that in the future you will be doing another one. The more the merrier I say LOL.