News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-07-18, 18:31:44
A.O. Scott, the leading film critic of the New York Times, calls Perfume the worst cinema film of 2006. He writes i.a.:

Mr. Tykwer's [the director] method is one of stupefying literalism. Exploiting the lush, lurid tones of Frank Griebe's cinematography, he rubs our noses in Grenouille's [the protagonist] world by assaulting our eyes with what he smells. Thus the camera lingers on rotting fish, on animal skins at the tannery where Grenouille serves an early apprenticeship, and then on the lissome ladies who become his victims. But the only smell produced by these long, breathy close-ups is a metaphorical one, a foul, stale odor traceable back to the movie itself.

Sounds delicious, doesn't it?

Nicky.
Sorry, from now on I will make my decisions on what to buy based upon the opinion of some dude in New York ::)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2007-07-21, 15:34:24
I recently came across a Myspace site of a band that really blew my socks off. The band's name is Apple Pie and obviously I've never heard from them but from what i heard, four songs, i was really convinced. To me it was the missing link between Dream Theater and Spocks Beard, two bands i truly like.

The only problem was that the band, coming from Kursk in Russia, was really unknown so the only way i could find to order their album was to pay and download it. Obviously i didn't do that since i want the 'real thing'. By chance a good friend from another forum found a site where i could buy the album, the real album that is, no downloading soo...

To make a long story short: Just ordered the album of Apple Pie called Crossroads.  ;)

Look here for more info if you're interested. Trust me, it'll be worth it.  ;)

That really sounds like another Pie I like...
I'm quite interested, first I'll eat pizza (again) and then I'll check this out.

PH

By the way, I'm happy to tell you all that I finally decided to buy something again! ;D :D

I'm now the proud owner of "Gazpacho - Night"!
Man, I'm so happy! There's so much good prog coming our way in 2007!

PH

And three in a row now!

At last, finally my order from Soundoo.com is in.
I recommend everybody NOT to buy anything from Soundoo.com.
It took almost two months... (bastards...) without even replying to my emails (even more "bastards!").

Anyway, today I finally received the following:

- Børn Lynne - The Gods Awaken
- Børn Lynne - Return To Witchwood

And I like it very much!

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-07-26, 21:55:18
Børn Lynne - The Gods Awaken

Sounds interesting, PH. What's it about?

By the way, "børn" is children in Scandinavian. The right word here is "Bjørn". (Can't help it.) But I'm happy that you got the slash in here. (So we might not hang you - for a while)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-07-26, 21:55:18
And three in a row now!

At last, finally my order from Soundoo.com is in.
I recommend everybody NOT to buy anything from Soundoo.com.
It took almost two months... (bastards...) without even replying to my emails (even more "bastards!").

Anyway, today I finally received the following:

- Børn Lynne - The Gods Awaken
- Børn Lynne - Return To Witchwood

And I like it very much!

Tell us,  was it worth the wait?  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Yup, it was worth the wait!
The sound quality is amazing. And the compositions are beautiful!

"The Gods Awaken" is a musical version of a book. I have no idea actually. The music is entirely instrumental and very cool.
"Return To Witchwood" is also entirely instrumental (as is all of Bjørn Lynne's albums). Imagine you're in a wood and little elfs are playing music for you. Wow!

maddox

I bought the book Lifting Shadows, which is the official biography (just look at my sig ;)) of Dream Theater. It comes with a 'best off' cd with a few songs they recorded over the years, starting with the Ytsejam ( :P) period.

It costed a bit but i'm sure it'll be worth it.  *horns*

Did you buy it too, Tom?

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sat, 2007-07-21, 15:55:46
Sorry, from now on I will make my decisions on what to buy based upon the opinion of some dude in New York ::)

Some dude! We're talking about A.O. Scott, one of the leading film critics in the world. I've read several hundreds of reviews by him. I don't always agree with him, but I always get something to think about, and I avoid wasting time on crap movies; just as I read masses of music reviews to focus in on the quality stuff.  :)

Appy, when you reach my age, you get more concerned about using your time properly, making it quality time, so you really want to avoid senseless culture, gatherings, jobs etc.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Today, although it has nothing to do with music, i bought 5 films. Fantastic Four, Das Boot (really extended and deluxe box set, War Of The Worlds, Saw III and The Departed.

Tonight, obviously when my daughter's asleep, i will watch Saw III.  ;D
Even my wife liked Saw I & II so i'm sure she'll like this one too.  :D
Nice film before bedtime.  :P

Nicky007

Maddox, tell me what you think bout The Departed (after you've seen it). I'm thinking bout getting it.

>Even my wife liked Jaw I & II so i'm sure she'll like this one too. 

Is that the way she bites you?  ;D

By the way, it's Jaws.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2007-08-04, 15:17:02
Maddox, tell me what you think bout The Departed (after you've seen it). I'm thinking bout getting it.

I will.  ;)

QuoteBy the way, it's Jaws.

Nicky.

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't meant Jaws at all. I meant: Saw.  :-[  ;)

Nicky007

So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Teunis

Shadowland - Mad As A Hatter. Again, 'Marktplaats' was the place to be  ;). After 'Through The Looking Glass' and 'Ring Of Roses' my third Shadowland album. Played it once, it has to grow on me. The other ones seem to be better, but it is not fair to say that after one spin.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

bluepony

'Tenacious D in The Pick Of Destiny' - as a birthday present for my brother - does that count?  ;)

Nicky007

What does bro think of Arena, Bluey?

My latest DVD purchase (or one of them), and one of my best, was Baraka (Dir. Ron Fricke), an extraordinarily gripping film, slapping some of the most extremes of humanity right in your face. I was spellbound during the whole film, and wiped out afterward.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/movie/131202/Baraka/overview

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

> What does bro think of Arena, Bluey?

To be honest, I don't really know, but he probably thinks they're 'just one of those dreadful poser groups my sister likes'...  :(
(As far as I know, to him all bands that don't play tuned down 7-string guitars are posers.  >:( )

Of course I'll be happy for him to prove me wrong and tell me that he changed his mind and loves them as much as I do!  :)

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Fri, 2007-08-17, 10:18:17
Of course I'll be happy for him to prove me wrong and tell me that he changed his mind and loves them as much as I do!  :)

One of the things that make Arena great is their tremendous variety, i.a. they can both rock hard and be gossamer delicate.

I suggest that you burn a CD for bro with A-songs that rock hard, and betcha, he'll come back for more, and he'll be ready for the lighter stuff.

Anybody who doesn't like Arena after giving them a proper run doesn't belong on this earth  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Then my brother must be banned from this planet - I made him listen to various Arena stuff whenever I got the chance, for example when he was in a car with me and couldn't get out (I'm pure evil, I know!  ;D ) but so far I didn't get any positive reactions...  >:(

PH

Today I bought my first Sylvan cd:
Presets

I like it very much!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2007-08-25, 19:38:20
Today I bought my first Sylvan cd:
Presets

I like it very much!
Great choice!

Just ordered the new Shadow Gallery album called 'Prime Cuts'.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

I went to Kleve, Germany last Friday and that was not good for my bank account.  :-\

On the way to Kleve we were spotted by a strange vehicle in the verge of the road and suddenly we saw a familiar flash through the window screen ( ::) >:().
When we arrived in Kleve we discovered that a lot had changed since the last time we visited the place. The parking place was very unknown to us ( yes, it's been a long time since we've been there ).

Went to a shop called Saturn which is actually almost the same as the Media-markt over here in Holland so i had a great time there ( ;D):

Bought:

Knight Area - Under A New Sign
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Queensryche - Mindcrime At The Moore
Kaipa - Angling Feelings

We had a delicious dinner over there with a Jagerschnitzel for my wife and daughter (the meat is so big, a whole kindergarden could eat from it) and a Schnitzel Phantasia for me.  ;D

But...

ehm...

On our way back, just before we would cross the border...

I had a flat tyre. Result: €150,- for two new tyres.  :-\

Overall...It was quite expensive.  :'(

But nevertheless fun.  :D

Nicky007

I'm curious to hear your opinion of Isolate, Maddox aka Xoddam. I found The 1st Chapter very exciting, and I'm looking forward to listening to Isolate.

Sounds like you had a nice trip to Kleve. What do wifie and kiddie do while your feasting on the CD's?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-08-26, 15:11:28
I'm curious to hear your opinion of Isolate, Maddox aka Xoddam. I found The 1st Chapter very exciting, and I'm looking forward to listening to Isolate.

Heard it three times now. Some songs are a bit 'mainstream' but overall it's quite good. The best track by far is the 'epic' of the album Mouth Of Madness. The band surely did evolved on this album. On The First Chapter some ideas and Frickelorgies (thank you, proglady  ;D) were just 'too much'.

QuoteSounds like you had a nice trip to Kleve. What do wifie and kiddie do while your feasting on the CD's?

Nicky.

Waiting for me, have some icecream, search for new (baby) clothes. You know, the usual women stuff.  ;D
No just kidding. The last remark that is.  ;)
My wife was looking for a new LCD tv for our bedroom and little maddy was just following us.  ;)