News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Zoetermeer 16-10 was great!

Started by Koos, Mon, 2005-10-17, 21:56:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Koos

The last gig in Europe was a real party. After a few songs on a lower level of voice and sound, the gig developed into a real concert, with big drama's and a nice videoshow. How wonderful the appearance of Paul Wrightson. Whereas Bob is acting drama and theatre, Paul really is! He looked many years older, as a real vagabond, but with a huge voice and standing in front of the audience with power. Also great to see John Jowitt back. Yes, we had had really great years in the past! Every time has its charme, but in my opinion no greater album was made until now than The Visitor. Arena in optima forma.
Especially therefore this party should have been never ending. Nevertheless, the actual band is also great, there must be a big future for this kind of music for the hearts and bones. I was one of the first fans, and I will stay until I'm the last, I think. Up to the next ten years! Stay forever!
See you next time.

Appelmoes??

To be honest I thought Paul was overacting. At the moment Paul was crouching (at the hanging tree?) I thought he was having a headache or somthing :P. But it has it's own special charme.  I think both singers have a wonderfull presence on the stage, in their own way.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

bassie

hmm... Just posted something about that in het other thread...

Somewhat the same opinion on Rob and Paul's stage-presence...

The Vision Bleak

I have seen Paul about 10 times live, his performance ws no other than the previous ones. He always felt dow during The Hanging Tree, Solomon..Remember the chains act in Sirens?Or what about Tears in the Rain?Nope, no overacting,thats Paul!And I love what he has done, last Sunday and the past! hoped for a little more Paul Wrightson, it was a very big disappointment when Paul left the stage and Rob came back to do Solomon. If anyone shouldd sing that song, it is Paul, he also sings it a lot better then John Carson.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: The Vision Bleak on Tue, 2005-10-18, 20:00:01
it was a very big disappointment when Paul left the stage and Rob came back to do Solomon. If anyone should sing that song, it is Paul
Don't you think it's a very big disapointment for Rob to read and hear things like this? I think it's not very nice to say this to the guy who is now the singer of Arena. "Blame" Paul (or circumstances) for the fact Rob sang it, not Rob himself ;)

My drawings on MySpace

The Fury

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-10-19, 12:37:19
Don't you think it's a very big disapointment for Rob to read and hear things like this? I think it's not very nice to say this to the guy who is now the singer of Arena. "Blame" Paul (or circumstances) for the fact Rob sang it, not Rob himself ;)

Well, everybody is of course entitled to have an opinion, though this opinion may sound hard. I think both singers have their own strenghts and weaknesses. When I saw Paul sunday I was impressed by his performance. He is a really good actor and his mimic and show are great. He is just really present on the stage. However, I was less impressed by his voice during some of the songs. I think he excells at dramatic or mysterious songs(whatever that may be :-)), most of all The Hanging Tree, which I still consider to be a song made for Paul. Some parts of Medusa and State of Grace However, I found less convincing, vocally.
Rob on the other hand is a more modest person on stage (as well as in person). With him on stage the rest of the band becomes more in the picture, which is a good thing as well as a bad thing. Rob's voice, in my opinion, is made for ballads and agressive songs. I love his Waiting for the Flood and his Friday's Dream. As for agressive songs, Rob does a splendid Don't forget to Breathe and his Shattered Room is superb (not to mention his Witch Hunt). As for last sunday, I must thank Rob for his best Solomon performance yet (This has nothing to do with Vision's statement, I have been planning to post this in a reaction earlier)
Well, here we are again. I love both singers for their own qualities and I considered it a privilige to see them performing  (and even during one and the same song!). It was great to see them on stage together, both acting so gallantly and respectfully to one another! Two big thumbs up for both of them and the rest of the boys!   
One last note: JJ's cheerfulness and acrobatics were a pleasure to the eye. Good job!

Well, enough for the asskissing!  ;)
Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?

Appelmoes??

Quote from: The Fury on Wed, 2005-10-19, 18:40:34
It was great to see them on stage together, both acting so gallantly and respectfully to one another! Two big thumbs up for both of them and the rest of the boys!   

I totally agree with that. Shows real professionalism :)

My drawings on MySpace

The Vision Bleak

the only thing I meant with my remark is that, Paul does Solomon a lot better then Rob. And what if Rob has read my opinion?It's nothing against Rob,I don't want to hear Paul paly Rob songs. It would have been better if the played a  different song, from the "Rob periode" a.k. Moviedrome, Opera Fanatica.

Further more I realy enjoyed the show, Purgatory Road kicked ass. So disrespectfull?? no way, that's your Interpretation of my opinnion.

and I know that Paul was and Rob is, and he does his job bloody well!! although  I still think he needs to get another wardrobe ;D

PH

Quote from: The Vision Bleak on Sat, 2005-10-29, 14:50:13and I know that Paul was and Rob is, and he does his job bloody well!! although  I still think he needs to get another wardrobe ;D

He knows what he likes in his wardrobe.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-11-07, 22:10:43
He knows what he likes in his wardrobe.

A mild Genesis reference there everyone... ::) ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Saryna

I think Rob is very professional and takes it all very well. It is difficult for any lead singer to take the helm when there is another established one before. Years ago I worked a little with Steve Augieri, the new(not so new anymore) lead singer for Journey.  The angst that he had to go through replacing Perry was a peeling of the onion process for him. Always having to hear"big shoes to fill".  I would imagine he hates to look at shoes anymore! :'( Inevidably, there are always the comparisons to the different incarnations in any band, but what's so is, it's just the morphing into new energy.  It's not that it's better or worse, it's just different.  And that's good. :)

Che

I think thet for Rob there is no competition - He is Arenas voice! Paul was great, but Rob made a new style - cant imagine anyone else in Pepeers Ghost or Cantagion(...) album... Rob is perfect for me  ;D
Hasta la Victoria Siempre!

Little Angel

Quote from: Che on Sun, 2005-11-13, 07:03:53
I think thet for Rob there is no competition - He is Arenas voice! Paul was great, but Rob made a new style - cant imagine anyone else in Pepeers Ghost or Cantagion(...) album... Rob is perfect for me  ;D

Couldn't said it better myself!!!!!!!!! ;) :)
Ab Imo Pectore

Saryna

Teunis

'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Angel-of-Music

I agree with Che, Rob is utterly perfect. (not to disrespect anyone else's opnion, of course) :)

And having heard both Rob and Paul sing Solomon, which is one of my favourites, I much prefer hearing Rob sing it.

And the hair! Look at him - so adorable with the hair! :)  Its all bouncy-wouncy!  He looks very elegant in his Victorian wear, I must say, esp in comic form.

And hey, what's wrong with his wardrobe? ?  ???

Rafal

Well, I haven't been to Zoetermeer, but after hearing Rob singing live in Warsaw and on the "Live and Life"  album I must admit that his versions of the pre-Immortal songs are pretty terrific. Especially the first part of Jericho - I can't possibly imagine anyone (Paul included) doing it any better.  I also believe Rob is a more flexible singer.  Still, I would love to hear Paul Wrightson on some other Arena-related project. Next Nolan-Wakeman album perhaps?
Rafal

PH

Quote from: Rafal on Tue, 2005-11-29, 10:20:26
Well, I haven't been to Zoetermeer, but after hearing Rob singing live in Warsaw and on the "Live and Life"  album I must admit that his versions of the pre-Immortal songs are pretty terrific. Especially the first part of Jericho - I can't possibly imagine anyone (Paul included) doing it any better.  I also believe Rob is a more flexible singer.  Still, I would love to hear Paul Wrightson on some other Arena-related project. Next Nolan-Wakeman album perhaps?
Rafal

Seconded!

Come to think of it, does Paul Wrightson have any solo/other bands?

Nolan has Pendragon/Shadowland/Nolan & Wakeman
Sowden Solar
Mitchell Kino/The Urbane
Ian Salmon Shadowland?
Mick Pointer, he doesn't have anything else either.

I heard John Carson has a solo carreer, what is it? Anybody else heard anything by him? I think he's an amazing singer!

Smegal

John Carson may be a good singer but he's not a scratch on Rob Sowden
Or me come to think of it!
MY PRECIOUS

PH

Quote from: Smegal on Thu, 2005-12-01, 14:25:47
John Carson may be a good singer but he's not a scratch on Rob Sowden

Opinions, opinions...

They're all good singers if you'd ask me. Each one is perfect for their own albums.
I was just asking maybe Carson had a side project going, his voice is quite interesting. He sounds like Fish, who sounds like Peter Gabriel.
And Paul Wrightson doesn't directly sound like Fish. But Paul sounds like Carson.
And Rob sounds like Paul, while Rob totally doesn't sound like Carson, let alone Peter Gabriel :D .

I think it's a great way to change from singer. ;D

The Fury

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2005-11-29, 16:09:57
Seconded!

Come to think of it, does Paul Wrightson have any solo/other bands?

Nolan has Pendragon/Shadowland/Nolan & Wakeman
Sowden Solar
Mitchell Kino/The Urbane
Ian Salmon Shadowland?
Mick Pointer, he doesn't have anything else either.

I heard John Carson has a solo carreer, what is it? Anybody else heard anything by him? I think he's an amazing singer!

Under the name of Hypermania John made an album called Down to Birth. It was kinda difficult to get at first and I had been thinking about buying it from the internet without ever having heard it. However I found it some time later in a music store and, feeling excited about finally having the chance to hear it, gave it a listen. I was really disappointed. Though John's voice was okay, the sound was terrible and the songs did not appeal to me at all (now I'm thinking about it, I believe the lyrics were all too religious for my taste (contrary to Clive's lyrics that always leave room for a variety of interpretations and questions)). Unfortunately I had to put it back on its shelf.

Paul Wrightson is currently the singer of a band called Ironheart (www.ironheart-rocks.com). Though not totally to my taste, I think they do a pretty good job, from what I've seen. Judge for yourself.

Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?

PH

Great! Thanks, The Fury!

I'll check it out soon.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Smegal on Thu, 2005-12-01, 14:25:47
It would be nice to be able to comment on that, dude! ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt