News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Least favourite Arena track!!

Started by mdread666, Fri, 2005-02-18, 17:41:16

Previous topic - Next topic

mdread666

OK then, we all do the favourite track or album thing, but how about your least favourite track!! You know the ones - the tracks you occasionally skip through whilst playing the CD!!

Although I don't think Arena have done any real 'bummers', my two take-it-or-leave-it tracks would be 'Welcome To The Cage' and 'Opera Fanatica'.

OK - fire away!! :-X :-X
mdread666

...for it is a human number,
It's number is six hundred and sixty six.

Deenfan

Opera fanatica??????????????????????????????????????? Gee... You really miss out on something if you don't like that one, mate. But since you're here, you're not totally lost!  ;D

I usually burn a cd where I leave out the "unwanted" track(s). One such is the otherwise fine album "Pride", where I left out the acapella "Crying for help VII" thing. Actually, when I got "The cry", there's a version with guitar, and now that one graces my CD-R of "Pride". Much better. Other than that, I find "Double vision" to be somewhat weak. Like 3- out of 6... (In my world, 3- means "Good, but...")

BrianG

Hmm.........maybe I have to do this album by album......of course the disclaimer is that if I name a song, it doesn't mean I don't LIKE it, I  can't really think of one I don't like, actually.....but here goes:

Lion's Cage: Out of the Wilderness
Pride: Don't have the album
Visitor: In the Blink of an Eye****
Immortal? : Climbing the Net (but I really like this song...so I have no idea why I said that one)
Contagion: Tsunami
Pepper's Ghost: Tantalus

***about Blink of an Eye: I had trouble with this song for a while and I couldn't figure out why, then it dawned on me: it was the lyrical content.Not the actual words, mind you, but the fact that there were lyrics at all...it suddenly occured to me that this song could be a fabulous instrumental piece. It just seemed to fit that way for me.

So there you are,  humbly submitted, but still feeling a little guilty, because I like all those songs. Just don't play them as much as some others I guess.
I found Tantalus a little challenging at first melodically, but I'm coming around.

Maybe a best song thing could be a little offset for this topic so I'll do that now just to ease my guilty feelings :)

Lions Cage: Valley of the Kings
Pride: Don't have it, but I've heard Sirens...awesome (hey Clive...there's one for your 10th ann. show!!)
Visitor: The Visitor
Immortal?: Chosen/Butterfly Man...can't decide
Contagion: Skin Game (Mea Culpa as well)
Pepper's Ghost: Smoke and Mirrors (but ya gotta admit that Bedlam Fayre just rocks!!!!!)

Mark Jan

Tough one!  ;D Let's see.... I never skip an Arena track, because they don't have bad tracks. But you can always find some less favorite tracks:

Out of the Wilderness
Welcome to the cage
Cutting the cards (not a very special song after the beautiful Mea Culpa)
Bedlam fayre (I expect my PG copy this week, but I heard this song on the radio and it didn't impress me very much. But when I've got the album it can al change)

But, as Brian G said, it's always hard to criticize the band you like!  ;D

Idius Tidius

I think most of their worst songs are from contagion and perhaps it's ep's. Acsension and Cutting the cards I never listen to. This way madness lies is somewhat dull and inane and so is salamanda.Spectra at the feast and songs like it are a little dull. Also I'm not too keen on Opera Fanatica. Ghost in the firewall is a real blot on an otherwise great record. I think welcome to the cage is good for what it is, it's a light hearted track. I really like out of the wilderness and all others from the first album. Enemy without is overrated as well. here are my least favs and favs

SFTLC: like all of them but crying for help I
P: crying for help accapella and welcome to the cage
The Cry: The healer
WTTS: The healer
TV: Running from damasens, enemy without, the visitor
I: Ghost in the firewall
BIB: All of it is great
C: Ascension, Cutting the cards, Salamanda, This way madness lies
LAL: most of it is great
PG: last 2 tracks are not amazing

Favs are

SFTLC: Valley of kings or Soloman
P: Fool's Gold or Sirens
The Cry: Problem line
WTTS: Valley of Kings but all of it is amazing really
TV: In the blink of an eye
I: Butterfly man
BIB: All of it is great but hanging tree or double vision
C: Witchhunt or Painted man
LAL: good
PG: Smoke and Mirrors or Tantalus

Appelmoes??

Funny to see that, though we both like arena, we still have a very different taste. Most songs I like, you don't like. and vice versa.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Mark Jan

That makes music interesting, and especially a forum. We've got something to discuss about.  ;)

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-02-21, 13:16:16
Funny to see that, though we both like arena, we still have a very different taste. Most songs I like, you don't like. and vice versa.

Deenfan

Yeah, I've noticed several times that we can disagree to the point you start to wonder how in the name of Arena we could possibly gather here at this same spot... I guess the answer lies in the greatness in of Arena's music. Reaching out to people who couldn't agree on most anything. Not bad, Clive & Co.! ;D

Several years ago, a friend and I discovered the same. Then, it was Fates Warning, and the album "Parallels". My favourite 4 tracks was his bottom 4. Pretty weird, and in the end we rated the album equally high, with the same average rating for the tracks. -Even though we shared no common ground when it came to the individual songs...

Though it's hard to understand how anyone could not like Ascension (which is a great ending of an epic story more than a fantastic standalone track) and "Ghost in the firewall" (my favourite driving through the dark song), and still like Arena, I don't find it annoying, only strange and interesting. Like you who posted before me. But it's not like this on every forum I look into...  :(

Cheers to us! ;D

CygnusX1

Midas Vision and Ascension are ones, off the top of my head, that I've never been terribly fond of.

HeJePi

As far as I remember (can say that I am a fairly recent Arena addict), I never skipped any track ... and I think I pushed the 'play again / repeat' button for many many of them.

I must listen to all my Arena albums again and take note of the song I 'do not like' ;) But I think the paper will be blank after the 12 hours Arena Feast !
'... And if it's hope that dies last, Why do all us hopeless still live.' eVeron - Flesh.

Animal

off Pg, the only song i cant get into is shattered room, dont know why, just doesnt do it for me, same with contagion, there a re about 3 songs (names escape me) that I just dont get.
   Doesnt mean that Arena isnt one of my favourite bands if I hate a few of there songs, its all personal ;D

Torch

nice topic for my first post!  ;D

firmly at no. 1; .......... the Healer.........

'climbing the net' and 'ghost in the firewall' don't get much spins either...

Appelmoes??

I don't really want to pick a least favourite track. I tend to listen to an album as a whole. Each song is part of a story.

My drawings on MySpace

Simtere

For myself I tend to find the older it is, the less it gets played.  The first couple of albums rarely get a look in any more, not necessarily because I think they are bad, but simply because I feel they have been surpassed by far stronger material.

At this moment if it's not on 'Peppers' it counts for me as less favourite!

Appelmoes??

I listen to old Arena albums a lot. I still like the sound of it, it has a charme to me. It has memories of events en feelings. I understand them better etc... They now have more emotinal value to me.

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Simtere on Wed, 2005-02-23, 22:50:45
For myself I tend to find the older it is, the less it gets played.  The first couple of albums rarely get a look in any more

ack.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Voyager

"Skin Game" from "Contagion" album. I like that least of all. >:(

Simtere

Actually, notwithstanding my previous append, if I had to pick an all time least favourite it would have to be Jericho. 

My MP3 player (playing only ripped albums I have legitimately obtained) has just picked it at random and I had forgotten how much I dislike it ... the Bryan Adams rip off does not help ;)   

The fact it appears on one studio album, two live ones and three fan club CDs does not make it any more endearing either. The very fact this track has seen so many outings probably shows I'm in a minority of one ... but then taste is a funny thing as I think we are all starting to see here.

jeffMc

Quote from: The Voyager on Sun, 2005-03-06, 13:37:52

"Skin Game" from "Contagion" album. I like that least of all. >:(

Wow, that is one of my favs.

Appelmoes??

After very long consideration (and listening all arena albums I own) I have decided I find 'Waiting for the Flood' is my least favourite. Still I like it though :-\

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

Quote from: Simtere on Thu, 2005-03-10, 15:24:41
Actually, notwithstanding my previous append, if I had to pick an all time least favourite it would have to be Jericho. 

The fact it appears on one studio album, two live ones and three fan club CDs does not make it any more endearing either. The very fact this track has seen so many outings probably shows I'm in a minority of one ... but then taste is a funny thing as I think we are all starting to see here.

Interesting viewpoint. A lot of Marillion fans now really dislike "Easter" as (even though it was generally regarded as one of their best songs) it's appeared on so many comps, live albums & been played live so many times everyone's now totally fed up with it  :o . So yeah, overkill can indeed affect a persons opinion of a song.
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

The Voyager

Hi. Though I prefer Fish-era, have to declare my love regarding Marillion 89/91. Such tracks as "Easter", "Season's End", "The Party", "Waiting To Happen" are still among my favourites... It's necessary to search time after time something new - for avoid any boring with well-known acts. In such way I've recently found RED SAND(delicious drink for die-hard Marillion lovers). Maybe Arena is not too ancient yet. ;D

Constable Hogweed

Back to the Arena question. Gotta be the acapella "crying for help"

kmorse

I'm with the Constable on this one. The a capella "Crying for Help." I don't like the voice, I don't like the melody and I don't like the lyrics. I listened to it once and now I skip over it every time.
And it's a rare Arena tune that I dislike that much.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

The Fury

A few years ago I would have agreed with Simtere. I was not really fond of Jericho back then. But like with a lot of other songs, this has changed over the years.
My least favorite Arena song has always been and probably will always be Problem Line (though I'm not sure if you can really call it a song. It's more like an instrumental intermezzo). I think in all those years maybe it happened only five times during a listening session of SFTLC or The Cry that I did not skip it.
Also Midas Vision has never been one of my favorite songs, though I have grown to like it better over the years.

Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?