News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2010-08-12, 14:21:21
Hey Paxi, now I can hardly see you any longer  ;D

Because of the smoking talents of these bands?
Or did your spectacles fall off because of the head banging?

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2010-08-12, 14:21:21
I must say that I find the Foo Fighters rather bland  :-\

I on the other hand like Foo Fighters (without 'The') very much. Have you given them a proper chance? I mean, you found Coldplay dull as well, an now you were recently listening to their latest album... ;)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2010-08-13, 14:52:30
an now

Looks like Cap's started a vogue  ;D

Have you given them a proper chance?

Yeah, I think so. With (not the then) Foo Fighters and Coldplay, I like a song or two, but then it just seems too much automatic pilot to me.

I listen to lotta different stuff, cause I really like music, and I like to know what's goin on, but Tom, what I really go for is the intense stuff, stuff that gets my adrenaline coursin, stuff that gets me headbangin, rockin, joinin in with the singin and instrumentation.

Dream Theater are intense, Jeff Loomis and Nevermore are, Priest and Glenn from 1996 on are. That's the stuff that really carries me away.

Then of course there are lesser degrees, all the stuff in my pantheon. When we get to the non-pantheon stuff, it verges on lounge or noisome to me.

That's just me guys  ::)

Well, now it's off to the record store to get a birthday present for a good friend of mine, who's celebrating his 65-year birthday tomorrow out in the countryside. A cd with classical music of course (no more info now).

65 is big in Denmark, cuz it's when most people retire, at least people who like their jobs. People who don't, often find an opportunity to stop earlier.

Now that there's so much goin on in the Room, I'l see if I can turn up shortly tomorrow ...

Nicky.

So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2010-08-13, 15:43:22
Yeah, I think so. With (not the then) Foo Fighters and Coldplay, I like a song or two, but then it just seems too much automatic pilot to me.

Strange, you seem to listen a lot to acts like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog but you don't like (if i'm correct) Foo Fighters (without the 'the' ;))

Foo Fighters aren't Grunge but worthwhile to listen to in my humble opinion.
Somewhat rockier maybe.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Mad, my absolute fave grunge band from the time by far is Alice In Chains. When I heard them for the first time five years ago I was  :o - awesome !

They knocked me over again with their recent Black Gives Way To Blue  *horns*

And they paved the way for Jeff Loomis and Nevermore, which are, as you know, at the absolute top of my list.

I'v listened to Pearl Jam off and on for many more years, since about 1990, and I like them, more than e.g. Foo Fighters and Coldplay, but nothing like AIC. The main reason why PJ are in my pantheon is because of Eddie, who's an unbelievable singer  *horns*

By the way, his Into The Wild is a wonderful album  ;)

Soundgarden, yeah, nice stuff, somewhat monotonous, but again, Chris is a terrific singer  8)

As you know, I'm really hot on his Euphoria Morning, cuz Alain and Natasha contributed with their very special stuff  :)

Temple Of The Dog I have in my collection, but I actually havent listened that much to it. It hasnt made much of an impression on me - yet - but I guess I should give it a spin again. Thanx for remindin me, Mad  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Keep of Kalessin --> My pantheon

These guys are unbelievable !!!

Similar to Arcturus, Scar Symmetry and Opeth  8)

Tom, Mad, Funky, Iggy  ;)

You can find the entire Reptilian on YouTube.

Here, start with this, a killer song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvQnP2mzIgc&NR=1

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Fri, 2010-12-03, 17:51:38
*sigh* :)

:)

I'm just wonderin what's happened to my metal buddies  ???

Hey guys, you'v drunk far enuff. Get yerself up from the floor, go out and p* & p*, and brace yerself for some m-e-t-a-l !!!

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Mats Levén --> Fave singers
Sami Raatikainen --> Fave guitarists
Necrophagist --> Other groups

;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Sparks --> Prog pantheon  *horns*

Russel Mael --> Fave singers

Super stuff, very original, imaginative, melodic, and intriguing  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Nicky007

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: johninblack on Wed, 2007-05-23, 13:11:00
That image of Peter with a big stick is doing strange things to my head!

Still ?  ;D ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Hm, now I can afford to buy a cd occasionally, but it don't seem to stop my Shopping List from growin  ;D

Latest addition:  Shining's Blackjazz

It's, well, black jazz - not for Caps  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Just added two great bands to my pantheon list:  Annihilator  &  Protest the Hero  *horns*

Two maple leaf groups - or "maple leaf mayhem", as it's been called  ;D

Annihilator's Metal is a tremendous album, already a classic, real heavy, exciting and varied, with a lotta fine surprising flourishes packed in  8)

Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

In 2007, Annihlator released the cd titled "Metal". It's ten new tracks were recorded by Jeff Waters (guitar, bass and lead vocals on one song), drum legend Mike Mangini and Dave Padden (long-time vocalist and touring guitarist/vocalist). Metal also features sensational performances by some of metal's finest players and Annihilator's good friends, like Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom), Danko Jones (Danko Jones), Michael Amott and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), William Adler (Lamb Of God), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Jesper Strømblad (In Flames), Steve ´Lips` Kudlow (Anvil), Anders Bjørler (The Haunted), Mike Mangini (Steve Vai, Extreme, Annihilator), Jacob Lynam (Lynam) and more.

"If you pick up only one metal cd this year [2007], pick this one up! If it wasn't for Annihilator, there wouldn't be an In Flames." - Jesper Strömblad (In Flames)

"I listen to Jeff's new Annihilator cd 'Metal' in my car while zipping my son, Justis, off to high-school each morning. He puts it in the cd player and shows me all his favorite spots; it makes me proud that he digs good metal!" - Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

"Annihilator's 'Metal' is, and will live on as, a classic record." - Willie Adler (Lamb Of God)

"The whole concept of the album is definitely fun and you don't have to be a guitar player to enjoy it either. It's Annihilator, it's Metal. End of story." - Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)

"With all the guests on the new Annihilator album, 'Metal', it's obvious how much of an influence Jeff Waters has had on musicians everywhere. Now it's time for the next generation to find out how great this band is." - Danko Jones (Danko Jones)

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilator_(band)

Funky, Mad, Tom, Iggy, Bupie  ;)

Protest the Hero initially made me think "Mars Volta on speed" - as if MV werent already crazy enuff  :o

But listening closer, you realise that PTH are very original indeed  *horns*

There's a fabulous energy that rips ya away (if you'r not too bourgeois), lotta wild twists and turns. Nonetheless, after some listens, you realise that everything is well thought out and has a purpose  8)

Funky, Iggy, Tom  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Dali's Dilemma --> Pantheon list

Man, these guys are simply toooo gooood  *horns*

Obviously pantheon - the fastest entry of any group in my book  :)

Whew, this energy !  They flow effortlessly from Shadow Gallery type rock to DT, to Malmsteen, SW, like Bigelf, just more confidently - the right word here - or, should we say, a comet in Metalworld  8)

Man, I can hardly contain my enthusiasm for this group  :o

Thanx again, Mad, what would the world be like without you  :)

I also spent some time with Black Sabbath recently - you guys may have noticed it - and realised that:

Black Sabbath --> Pantheon  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

I wanted to somehow credit Trent Gardner for composing those amazing songs on Age of Impact, so I added a new category "Fave composers". Realised that there are some who really stand out  *horns*

Also got some more albums under "Genesis" but not self-titled and Invisible Touch  ;)

Hm, gotta soon strike that million, cuz my shopping list is humongous  :-[

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Added At The Drive-in to my pantheon list  8)

Probably Chinese to you guys, but ATDI is "proto Mars Volta", the group where Omar and Cedric experimented and developed their special MV-style from 1993 to 2001, starting out as a Black Flag (a cult group in the 80's) style band, adding their madness and Hispanic roots, and ending up with the one and only: Mars Volta  *horns*

Ordered Adagio's Archangels in Black - gotta get more into that group  :)

Hey Bupie, all this great French metal comin out these days, how are you with it ?  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2011-08-24, 15:06:07
Just added two great bands to my pantheon list:  Annihilator  &  Protest the Hero  *horns*

Two maple leaf groups - or "maple leaf mayhem", as it's been called  ;D

Annihilator's Metal is a tremendous album, already a classic, real heavy, exciting and varied, with a lotta fine surprising flourishes packed in  8)

Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

In 2007, Annihlator released the cd titled "Metal". It's ten new tracks were recorded by Jeff Waters (guitar, bass and lead vocals on one song), drum legend Mike Mangini and Dave Padden (long-time vocalist and touring guitarist/vocalist). Metal also features sensational performances by some of metal's finest players and Annihilator's good friends, like Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom), Danko Jones (Danko Jones), Michael Amott and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), William Adler (Lamb Of God), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Jesper Strømblad (In Flames), Steve ´Lips` Kudlow (Anvil), Anders Bjørler (The Haunted), Mike Mangini (Steve Vai, Extreme, Annihilator), Jacob Lynam (Lynam) and more.

"If you pick up only one metal cd this year [2007], pick this one up! If it wasn't for Annihilator, there wouldn't be an In Flames." - Jesper Strömblad (In Flames)

"I listen to Jeff's new Annihilator cd 'Metal' in my car while zipping my son, Justis, off to high-school each morning. He puts it in the cd player and shows me all his favorite spots; it makes me proud that he digs good metal!" - Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

"Annihilator's 'Metal' is, and will live on as, a classic record." - Willie Adler (Lamb Of God)

"The whole concept of the album is definitely fun and you don't have to be a guitar player to enjoy it either. It's Annihilator, it's Metal. End of story." - Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)

"With all the guests on the new Annihilator album, 'Metal', it's obvious how much of an influence Jeff Waters has had on musicians everywhere. Now it's time for the next generation to find out how great this band is." - Danko Jones (Danko Jones)

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilator_(band)

Funky, Mad, Tom, Iggy, Bupie  ;)

Protest the Hero initially made me think "Mars Volta on speed" - as if MV werent already crazy enuff  :o

But listening closer, you realise that PTH are very original indeed  *horns*

There's a fabulous energy that rips ya away (if you'r not too bourgeois), lotta wild twists and turns. Nonetheless, after some listens, you realise that everything is well thought out and has a purpose  8)

Funky, Iggy, Tom  ;)

Nicky.

I bought Fortress by PTH but don't really get it yet. I guess I should spin it a few more times.

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2011-10-29, 18:27:10
I bought Fortress by PTH but don't really get it yet. I guess I should spin it a few more times.

Yeah, I'd certainly say so. Very fast and complex music, but definitely worth the effort  *horns*

Great to share again, Iggy  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Subsignal --> Pantheon list

There are some groups that just have it, you hear it rightaway  *horns*

They'v taken the Holzwarth brothers' solid dynamic rhythm, and added more melody and harmony, and created some fabulous music  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Anthrax --> Pantheon list

Great band, Worship Music is fabulous, and Joey Belladonna is a terrific singer  *horns*

Took some time, eh, Funky ? But the later Anthrax albums do take time  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

You a fan of Primal fear Nicky ? Very priest influenced in fact i believe the singer auditioned after Rob Halford left back in the 1990s.

Nicky007

Just upped TesseracT to my pantheon  *horns*

Young intellidjent Reading-based metal group - super  8)

A tesseract is a 4-dimensional cube  :o

Try to meditate on that - quite mind-expanding  8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Added Steve Hackett to my prog pantheon  *horns*

I don't think I need to argue this case for Roomies  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can