News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

aswas

Olias is my favorite also Maybe because it was Jon's first, or maybe because he locked himself in his garage for 6 months and also went crazy while writing it, or because he played all the instruments. But it is a cd full of Jon's inspirations
don't fly... too close to the sun

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-08-17, 16:29:33

Realised that I had to have Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA after reading the article below, so I added the album to my SL  8)

Some thirty years ago, Springsteen was my fave artist for a while. I really dug Darkness, The River, and Born To Run.

These days I only play him rarely. He doesnt seem to come up with anything really new, or ?

Any'o you guys into Springsteen ?  ;)

I briefly liked Springsteen when he was just getting famous, but I burned out on him years ago.  He's undeniably a great songwriter, but I tend to enjoy other people's performances of his songs more than his own.  Mannfred Mann's covers of 'For You' and 'Blinded by the Light'  are particularly notable for those with a proggy bias.   That said, by all reports, he puts everything he's got into his live shows, so if you like him, you'll probably love him live.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-08-18, 14:13:56
That said, by all reports, he puts everything he's got into his live shows, so if you like him, you'll probably love him live.

Funny, that's the same with the Stones:  They havent put out a classic for decades, but their concerts kick ass, for their fans iac.

Another funny thing is that in Denmark, "live show" means something else than what Bruce and Stones are doing on stage  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

I did some editing in my LP:

In recent months, I hit the ceiling several times. Each time, I removed some space between the items, and cut album titles down to one or two words.

Until now: I hit the ceiling again, but this time I simply couldnt see how I could cut down on space used. So after some creative thinking, I got the bright idea (as sooo many times before, guys) of moving my shopping list to the next post of mine, just after Paxi's now intermediate post. Now aint that ingenious ?  ;D

I think I'l start a consulting firm for Listening Profiles. How much are you willing to pay, güÿs ?  :-*

Now that I have sooo much more space to play around with, I added some notes under some'o my lists. You can take a look  ;)

And for good measure, Joey Eppard's Back To The Future (thänx, Tom), and Children Of Bodom's Hate Crew Deathroll (thänx, FONA-Mads, what an album title ! ) to my SL.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Actually I continue to sign in to update my LP.

Unfortunately Mercenary didnt live up to my expectations, and I removed'm from my pantheon. They'r good ... but not that good.

Still have to wait for a Danish pantheon group. Shouldnt pushit .....

Otoh I realised that The Who had to be on my Past Masters list. Tommy was a bomb in those days (before any sorta Butterfly Man was invented)  ;D  and Who's Next was and is still terrific  *horns*

Made a couple more additions ... but I aint gonna tellya which  ;D

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Added Peter Gabriel to my pantheon.

Inspired by the profile that Jonesy gave us the link to, I delved deeper into PG's biography (Wiki, MySpace) and music. This led me to the conviction that not only is he a great musical innovator and supporter, and humanist, but also his music in itself is pantheon  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Cardiacs

Quote from: johninblack
Hey Nicky, you're not getting away with it so easy!

Arena - Contagion & Peppers Ghost
Stranglers - Black & White & Suite XVI
Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Credo - Rhetoric
Threshold - Critical Mass
IQ - Dark Matter & The Seventh House
Pilgrym - Pilgramage
Spock's Beard - Snow
Rush - Moving Pictures
Kino - Picture
Alice in Chains - Jar Of Flies
Iron Maiden - Number Of the Beast
Symphony X - V
Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory
Magazine - Real Life

More than I thought! and for many, varied reasons.

Now that John is more my cup of tea than the monster Nicky posted - Stranglers, Floyd, Maiden, Magazine? Absolutely!
And by the way one of the tracks on Suite XVI borrows heavily from Cardiacs....thanks to the still very active and quirky Toy Dolls heart & ears of the guitarist.

Also the doubkle meaning of the album title Suite XVI only hit me a few weeks ago....because I rarely have anyone to talk face-to-face to about The Stranglers, so I hadn't really had the title coming out of my mouth that often.   ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Cardiacs on Mon, 2009-11-09, 09:49:11
the monster Nicky posted

I just like a lotta music, Cardiacs. That's reflected in my LP. All the bands, musicians, albums, and tracks there have given me some enjoyment. I like to express that  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Cardiacs

No probs with that..and nothing negative in my use of the word monster Nicky.

I use it as in the old-fashioned meaning of monster i.e. large. In Ireland in the early 20th century public meetings used to simply be called monsters.
That said, where do you find the time & energy to write that much?

Nicky007

Quote from: Cardiacs on Mon, 2009-11-09, 17:29:05
No probs with that..and nothing negative in my use of the word monster Nicky.

:)

I use it as in the old-fashioned meaning of monster i.e. large. In Ireland in the early 20th century public meetings used to simply be called monsters.

And you also have "monster albums" like The Wall and Scenes From A Memory - and Zero Order Phase  ;)

That said, where do you find the time & energy to write that much?

Well, it started (just like yours) with a list of just the names of some twenty groups that were my fave groups « on: Mon, 2007-05-21, 12:11:19 »  ;D

Consequently got some tips from Roomies here, and from other friends elsewhere, read thousands of reviews on Amazon & Co., read about groups on Wiki, browsed thru cd-collections at shops and libraries, while memories emerged in my 54-y/o brain .....

..... and 2½ years later we have a monster LP  ;D

Actually, I do have the impression that it's interesting to other people, cause often when I'm in Nicky007 adding and editing, which I do several times a week, I see that there are other Roomies and guests visiting.

My prog pantheon is very stable now. When a new band or musician arrives there, I'v really checked up all nooks and crannies of the band. When I'v seldomly removed a band, I'v been even more thorough.

With the stuck-on list, I'm also quite thorough. These songs are really great songs !

Otoh with the "Other groups ...", a group or musician gets there if there's just something special about them, if they rise above the grey mass in some way or other  :)

However, as I'm a Christian and respectful of other religions, I avoid groups that are outright anti-religious  :-\

Would be great if other Roomies would expand on their LP's and Summaries ...  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-11-10, 13:40:37

Actually, I do have the impression that it's interesting to other people, cause often when I'm in Nicky007 adding and editing, which I do several times a week, I see that there are other Roomies and guests visiting.

Indeed  ;D

Manatee

Would be great if other Roomies would expand on their LP's and Summaries ...  ;)

I'll get to work on that.  I did a minor update a few months ago, I think, but I did it in a separate post in my thread.  Perhaps I should adopt the convention of adding to the original post though.  I think I'm going to list additions separately from my original list though -- I find the progression of what gets added kind of interesting.  I suspect my additions will look fairly similar to a lot of others with the exception of having a big fat Devin Townsend in glowing letters.   ;D

Cardiacs

Well, it started (just like yours) with a list of just the names of some twenty groups that were my fave groups « on: Mon, 2007-05-21, 12:11:19 »  ;D

No, not like mine at all. You misunderstand me. I was where you are now with hundred of bands about 20 years ago. I've been through the musical discovery stage you're going through now.  Don't be fooled by my short list. Those are just some of my favouirites.

Plus I was sticking to what the initial post of the Guidelines for Profiles thread by Peter asked posters to observe  i.e. brevity.   ;)  when he wrote: "Please keep your lists at a senseful (sic) length. Listing more than 50 or so albums makes reading the list uninteresting"

Either you didn't read the guidelines or perhaps you didn't think they applied to you!  :o  ;)  ;D
Nevermind you've got some great stuff in there but also some questionable stuff.

In my experience I find, and I'm sure you have too, that you have to wade through a lot of shite to get to the golden nuggets!  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Cardiacs on Wed, 2009-11-11, 17:53:24
I was where you are now with hundred of bands about 20 years ago.

Well, I'm here today with thousands of bands  ;)

The bands in my LP are only the bands that I see something in. I'v of course been listening to several times that number.

As you write:

you have to wade through a lot of shite to get to the golden nuggets!

Fortunately there are lotta golden nuggets too. This age we live in is a great time for music  *horns*

perhaps you didn't think they applied to you!

;)

Cap's a real nice guy, but I don't agree with him on everything  :D

My LP is among other things an invitation to discuss music and philosophy, and you'v taken it up, Cardiacs  8)

also some questionable stuff

OK: ...  ;)

Thanks for your comments, Cardiacs. I like people with attitudes and positions who like to share'm with others. Let's see some more'o that in the Room  :) ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Added Judas Priest to my pantheon. I'm simply overwhelmed by their Nostradamus  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Can only agree fully with the Amazon.com review by Graham T. Ferguson (Davenport, Iowa):

"How did they do this???

Epic, heart-wrenching, beautiful, haunting, inspired, an absolute masterpiece! It's truly astonishing this late in the game, Judas Priest makes something this special and gets almost no credit for it, while other metal bands half their age are just struggling to string together 50 minutes of competent music! How did they do this???

I'm usually much more specific in my reviews, but I'm so moved by this record, I can't bring myself to pick it apart. It's a wonder!

There was talk of a live performance of this whole record for DVD, I hope so much that they do it!"

Inducted Rob Halford into "Fave singers", and Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing into "Fave guitarists", and Don Airey into "Fave keyboardists" (also cause of his work with Ten)  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

I read the nine reviews on Amazon.com on Cardiacs' Sing To God, Pts. I & II. These reviewers (maybe one of'm our Cardiacs) are extraordinarily enthusiastic, and I can't recall any album that got five stars from all (nine) reviewers.

One of the most interesting reviews is that of tryptikon (Western AR, USA): "I kid you not. This 2-CD set is the peak of genius that is Cardiacs, the greatest band you've never heard of. Trimmed to a lean, mean, music machine of 4 dazzling musicians on this set- down from a previously larger ensemble of 7, this is a band that references rock music's greatest bands throughout their music, fusing them together to create their own uniquely intoxicating brew. Take equal parts Queen, Abbey Road-era Beatles, Mongoloid-era Devo, Gabriel-era Genesis, and a bit of avant-garde noodlings here and there for measure, and you might begin to describe this CD set. It rocks. It soothes. It's weird. It's danceable. It's Cardiacs. Your CD collection sucks without it."

Well, I took his last sentence literally and added this album to my SL. I'm pretty curious now .....  :)

Added some Priest and Into Eternity albums too (naturally).

Wonder when I'l be able to afford'm  :-\

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Added Trivium to my pantheon  *horns*

Their Shogun is simply awesome !!!

I'v been listening to it the whole day, and altho I'm far from having fathomed it, it's clear to me that Shogun is a monumental rock album.

It's actually more like Mastodon's Crack The Skye than I thought initially, and it's in league with Skye and Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe - three formidable albums !

So guys, if ya like Skye and HU, then Shogun will get ya rockin'  8)

Some people may think that I'v watered down the concept of "pantheon" with so many groups, but guys, it's not my fault that so many great albums are being released these days - and btw the Greeks and Romans ended up having quite a number of gods in their pantheons  :-\

Hey guys ... guys ... have you gone into hibernation ?  :o

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-11-19, 17:27:20
Hey guys ... guys ... have you gone into hibernation ?  :o

Yes.  In the winter I become a green aquatic bear.  I still need to update my profile, but I'm finding the prospect daunting.  I think we need to send a van out with men with butterfly nets to recover our missing members.  We need their energy back!  You personally are doing a yeoman job of keeping the conversation going, but it would still be nice to have our usual number of varied outlooks.  Maybe we should threaten to show up at their homes and sing "Snoopy, Come Home!"

Nicky007

Yeah, most of all I'm actually missing Paxi Boy, cause he was the one who posted most personal stuff, altho I think that you, Greenie, and Bella have also shared some nice stuff. I mean, I'm happy that Roomies get their homework done and travel, but that doesnt change my outlook on life much, unless they add a personal touch to it  :-\

Also, it's of course interesting that a Roomie is listening to this and that album, but it's far more interesting to be told why s/he's into that stuff, and to get a personal take on it.

We're actually enuff Roomies active now to upgrade the Room in that way, and I think if we did, Paxi and Jonesy would be more tempted to return  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

A few years ago i went to see Iron Maiden over here in the Netherlands.
The opening guest was ...

Tata...

Trivium.

I can't say i didn't like them but the relationship between Trivium and me will never be a fruitful one.  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

At last I found a stuck-on song for 1988 (now I'm only missing 1990):  Judas Priest's Heavy Metal. Great song  *horns*

Here's a link to the original studio version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1hLiqwq7c

I think even Deenie will like this (no growl, no backward drums, no bass drum onslaught, no naked goats, no nothin except great playin and singin)  ;)

I also found a great live recording of Burn In Hell with Ripper as frontman:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAaYpMnHKAk&feature=fvsr

Priest have been fortunate to have had two of the greatest singers ever, and only that (except for beginnings):  Rob Halford and Tim "Ripper" Owens  *horns*

Rob is back in Priest, Ripper did a great stint in Iced Earth (now Matt Barlow is back there), and in 2009 Ripper released his solo album Play My Game  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

Ah, I love "Ram it down" *horns*

Nicky007

And here's Priest's Angel, showing already in 2005 the amazing depth that Priest have achieved:  http://www.myspace.com/judaspriest  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2009-11-28, 21:10:22
Ah, I love "Ram it down" *horns*

Yeah, RID and Painkiller are great albums indeed.
I have lots of Priest's albums but mainly on vinyl. I've never had the drive to also buy it on cd except for RID and Painkiller.

Nowadays i have serious troubles with Rob's vocal skills.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

If you heard Nostradamus, you wouldnt believe you'r listening to not only the same group, but the same four guys on the guitars and vocals  ;) *horns*

Not that the precursors to Angel are bad, they'r just rather regular; with Rob's return on Angel, Priest have become heavily progressive  8)

So now I'm wondering:   W-H-A-T  H-A-P-P-E-N-E-D   ???

Anyone have a clue ?

Of course, for me the fact that Priest are Birmingham - well largely: they started in Walsall; I'm Selly Oak - adds to it  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can