News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Proglady

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-07-28, 20:05:15

Deenie, maybe other roomies are interested too:  What are the easiest ways to get Shifting Sands ?  (How about driving down and delivering copies personally ? )  ;D

Nicky.

Yep, I would like to know that too!  :)

Deenfan

:D Personal delivery?! Shouldn't be too hard to arrange as long as we don't enjoy much success...

The single best way to obtain the album is through a webshop that will be set up on the site of our own label. Details will come later, but soon.

The label is a bit of a project, to be honest. I want it to be able to take on other bands that play Arctic Prog! Maybe we'll even indulge in bands of inferior styles >:(

Bottom line is, the bands will get paid 6 or 7 times more than they are today, provided the retail prices are kept at about £10 or more. This will be made possible by the same technology that seems to kill off big parts of the music business. Times are a'changing, and we have a new reality to live with.

I've read over and over again that people would buy (more) albums if the money went to the artist and not to some money mongering suit somewhere. Let's see how this goes, then. There are other aspects, too. How 'bout we gave the postal services less money? If you have a jewel case lying about, and a CD-R... how 'bout we send you a properly produced booklet and inlay card, you download the tracks and burn the cd and throw it all into your jewel case?

...for instance...

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-07-29, 11:58:39
Arctic Prog

8) Deenie.

How about tryin to get the Circus Maximus guys involved ?  Do you know them personally ?  In my book CM and Opeth are the biggest Scandinavian prog names at the moment.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-07-29, 11:58:39
:D Personal delivery?! Shouldn't be too hard to arrange as long as we don't enjoy much success...

The single best way to obtain the album is through a webshop that will be set up on the site of our own label. Details will come later, but soon.

The label is a bit of a project, to be honest. I want it to be able to take on other bands that play Arctic Prog! Maybe we'll even indulge in bands of inferior styles >:(

Bottom line is, the bands will get paid 6 or 7 times more than they are today, provided the retail prices are kept at about £10 or more. This will be made possible by the same technology that seems to kill off big parts of the music business. Times are a'changing, and we have a new reality to live with.

I've read over and over again that people would buy (more) albums if the money went to the artist and not to some money mongering suit somewhere. Let's see how this goes, then. There are other aspects, too. How 'bout we gave the postal services less money? If you have a jewel case lying about, and a CD-R... how 'bout we send you a properly produced booklet and inlay card, you download the tracks and burn the cd and throw it all into your jewel case?

...for instance...

I like your thinking.

I have always had a problem with downloading music due to the fact that some of the booklets etc are brilliant. I like the artwork as well. I always wondered why bands don't provide pdf's (or something similar) with downloads.

Deenfan

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Nicky...

That pdf thing is one of the ideas we'll be looking at.

How 'bout a downloadable file that when you burn it to disc, you'll have a video CD that play the songs over the stereo while artwork, lyrics and pictures are shown on your screen, be it TV or computer?

@Nicky:  I don't know anyone from Circus Maximus, but I like the way their music seems a bit more song oriented than usual for modern prog bands.

I am an old aquaintance of the keyboard player in Pagan's Mind, though. He grew up here. We even started to write a song together, once, but then he moved south.

Nicky007

Just added Mercenary to my prog pantheon !

That they're Danish, adds to my joy  :)   but it has no bearing on my decision to promote them:  They simply are terrific !

I'd have done it even if they'd been North Korean  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Added Iced Earth to my prog pantheon - on the basis of only one album, Framing Armageddon, but it's simply so great that it suffices.

FA covers a tremendous amount of territory, sometimes moving near Blind Guardian, Kamelot, and Mercenary, sorta in that vein.

Looks like the oldest active roomie is also the heaviest, something that oughtta be terribly embarrassing to you guys, idling away your time with bimborock and wimprock. How about flexing your b*s ? - if not, your wives will start thinking that they're lesbian  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2008-08-14, 15:47:38
idling away your time with bimborock and wimprock.

And prog rock.  Don't forget prog rock.  ;D

How about flexing your b*s ?

Steel ones don't flex.  ;)

Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Nicky007

Linkin Park have slowly grown on me, and I particularly like their latest studio album, Minutes To Midnight. Got all three of their studios now - the other two are Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

They're by no means prog in the sense of DT or Arena, but there's a lot of fine melody, gripping rhythms, vivid observations, exquisite moods, and nice details.

So I added Reanimation - the "evil twin" of Hybrid Theory; Collision Course, their pairing with Jay-Z; and Live In Texas to my SL.

Anyone else into Linkin ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Anyone here into Emerson Lake & Palmer ?

I'd like to try'm out. Didnt listen much to'm at the time, but they seem to have had somethin to say, and now I'm curious.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-08-19, 21:50:27
Anyone here into Emerson Lake & Palmer ?

I'd like to try'm out. Didnt listen much to'm at the time, but they seem to have had somethin to say, and now I'm curious.

Nicky.

Certainly am. I am not fanatical about them but my personal favs are Pictures at Exhibition or Trilogy which are probably not everyone's first choice.

Draco chimera

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-08-17, 19:59:47
Linkin Park have slowly grown on me, and I particularly like their latest studio album, Minutes To Midnight. Got all three of their studios now - the other two are Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

They're by no means prog in the sense of DT or Arena, but there's a lot of fine melody, gripping rhythms, vivid observations, exquisite moods, and nice details.

So I added Reanimation - the "evil twin" of Hybrid Theory; Collision Course, their pairing with Jay-Z; and Live In Texas to my SL.

Anyone else into Linkin ?

Nicky.
I do. What a great band ! My favourite song on the last album is "Leave Out All The Rest".
I have been told that we won't have to wait too long for the next release. :P
I saw "Reanimation" in a shop, but i've prefered to buy a triple CD of Jimi Hendrix at a very interesting price (CDs are so expensive in France !)
Let your conscience decide !

bluepony

Looks like the oldest active roomie is also the heaviest...
A good thing you said "active", Nicky! ;)

I'm going to see my brother's band MinDead tomorrow. It's - FINALLY!! - their CD release party. And I'd say they're pretty heavy!

Nicky007

I just added Scar Symmetry to my prog pantheon. These guys are unbelievable.

Now the question (for me) is whether they are top league. Yeah, they're that good, guys !

Whaddaya say, Mad ?

And from f*in Avesta in the Swedish jungle, no, taiga, or whatever the f* they got up there - who cares, as long as they make great music  *horns*

Here's what Gabriel J. Coco writes about Holographic Universe on Amazon.com:

"Holographic Universe is absolutely incredible. Good lord the title track is amazing.

Everything you've heard is absolutely true. There is clean singing, but there is still plenty of roaring, and for the life of me I don't think there are really any singers in this genre (Gothenburg melodic death) that can presently touch him. Christian is totally on top of this. The guitars, drums, overall production is just so well done that, even though if it may take a second to really grasp everything that is going on, you HAVE to listen.

I can see where some of the people get bent out of shape over the lighter side of the singing, but quite honestly, it just fits.

This album is a natural progession over Pitch Black Progress. HUGE in scope, and incredibly complex. Some of the songs are a bit long, but yeah, I've been listening to the title track on repeat on the way to work (it clocks at over 9 minutes) and I really just don't care, it's that good.

Opeth, another exceptional group, is one of the few other bands that can hold my attention sustained for that long (don't compare the two bands though, they are different in too many ways) despite some longer tracks.

One of the reasons this album works so well it is one of the first I have heard that I thought right off the bat, just about anyone can get into this. This band is on the verge of making the heavy generally acceptable to the heavy fearing one.

Holographic Universe KILLS."

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

... so I better write up some stuff on my own thread.

Added Orphaned Land to my prog pantheon, as they kick ass  *horns*

First Israeli group, but probably not last, to go there.

Added Floor Jansen to my fave singers, as she sings like a dream (not only wet, Bupsie). Now both sisters are there  *horns*

Moreover, After Forever are my fave group in this genre - symphonic metal or whatever.

Got quite a number of dames now in my list of fave singers. The list was for a long time a stag party  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-11-18, 10:25:08
Moreover, After Forever are my fave group in this genre - symphonic metal or whatever.

If you want to add to that: Edenbridge is amazing!

Got quite a number of dames now in my list of fave singers. The list was for a long time a stag party  ;D

I almost read something else there...  :-[

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-11-18, 10:37:27
If you want to add to that: Edenbridge is amazing!

Thanks (double), Paxi. I'l check'm out  :)

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-11-18, 10:37:27
I almost read something else there...  :-[

This time I'm the one who didnt get it. I thought I had a pretty dirty mind, but I seem to be trumped  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-11-18, 10:46:12
Thanks (double), Paxi. I'l check'm out  :)
Nicky.

I'll check them too since I have not heard a single note of their music so far  ???

maddox

Added Orphaned Land to my prog pantheon, as they kick ass  *horns*

I most definitely agree.  8)

QuoteFirst Israeli group, but probably not last, to go there.

What? Still no Amaseffer?  ??? :o ??? :o

Be ashamed!  >:( ;D

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

h9

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2008-11-18, 16:53:28
I most definitely agree.  8)

What? Still no Amaseffer?  ??? :o ??? :o

Be ashamed!  >:( ;D

I prefer to hear Orphaned Land (especially for 'Mabool' and 'El Norra Alila'). Nice combination between metal and arabic's nuance. Little different with 'Myrath', a progressive metal band from Tunisia that has a unique voice (English with Arabic Accent  :D). Both of them are Rocks.
By the way, what about 'Trespass' ? Israeli symphonic prog band that very English. Firstly, i think they are comes from Britain. I recommend 'In Haze of Time' as a nice opus from 'Trespass'.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2008-11-18, 16:53:28
What? Still no Amaseffer?

Cause of your ravings, Mad, and cause several great musicians have contributed ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaseffer ), I'v added Slaves For Life to my SL. Lets see if Uncle Rocky turns up, or when some other income makes it possible for me to buy cd's again. (Libraries in Denmark arent anywhere near having such cd's.)

Re my prog pantheon, I was thinking primarily of Ephrat. From my hearings on MySpace, I have big expectations.

Hanin, thanks for your recoms of Myrath and Trespass. I'l keep'm in mind  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-11-18, 18:25:29
Re my prog pantheon, I was thinking primarily of Ephrat. From my hearings on MySpace, I have big expectations.

And rightly so! Fabulous album!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Just added Thomas Lejon to my fave drummers  *horns*  after seeing and hearing him on the YouTube video that Paxi gave us the link to  :)

That guy's awesome on his drums !  Whadaya think, Deenie ?

Got four Swedish drummers on my fave list now:  Thomas Lejon (A.C.T & Andromeda), Martin Lopez & Martin "Axe" Axenrot (Opeth), and Henrik Ohlsson (Scar Symmetry).

Don't know much bout drummin, but I sure can hear that these guys can play like crazy  *horns*

Can't add any more to my LP, no more space  :'(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Yes, Thomas Lejon is really good.
If I can make a suggestion: Morgan Ågren is also a great Swedish drummer. He is the drummer for Kaipa and has performed with Frank Zappa as well.
I think he's really good.

And I see that Gavin Harrison isn't in your list...

-Paco

Nicky007

Thanks, Paxi  :)

Gavin has been a candidate for a while. Have to get back to PT sometime .....

Havent considered MÅ yet, but I got MindRevolutions (imagine the R turned backwards), which I'l listen to soon and have an ear out for MÅ.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can