News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Deenfan

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-04-29, 21:43:48
So, I decided to order my fave groups alphabetically.

Provided you were a fan, how would you sort "Manfred Mann"? By Mann or Manf?

Nicky007

I have Watch by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. It stands on the rack before The Mango Jivers.

;D

But else, good question, Deenie. Yeah, my appraisal would be that MMEB is the name of the band, so you have to take it from the beginning, m-a-n-f- ....

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

In my list of stuck-on songs, I have a lapse between 1983 and 1991, interestingly with Jon & Vangelis at both ends. Were there any great songs released in that period ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-07-04, 19:55:10
In my list of stuck-on songs, I have a lapse between 1983 and 1991, interestingly with Jon & Vangelis at both ends. Were there any great songs released in that period ?

Nicky.

How about On the turning away by Pink Floyd.

The Wake by IQ

Fish Marillion

Genesis Duke

To name but a few. Although I have to agree the eighties was a bit sparse for classic music.

(hope you're impressed I didn't mention ABWH  Doh)

Nicky007

Just added Brian May to my prog pantheon  *horns* *horns* *horns*

and to my SL:  Stardust We Are (thanks, Mad), Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (thanks, Iggy), and The Real Thing (thanks, Mike Patton, you crazy s.o.b., I'v really gotten into FNM lately)  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

And also Riverside's gotta go into the pantheon, no doubt in my mind any longer.

I'm totally blown away by the instrumental Rapid Eye Movement (the title piece). I'v been playing it the whole evening, over and over. It brought out some of the same feelings I had some 35 years ago when I first heard Floyd's Echoes. Very much the same mood. But REM is completely up-to-date, has a good solid base and lots of novel effects.

Guys, give this piece some spins and tell me what you think of it.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Yes, a strong contender for the highlight of my life.  In fact, I love the bonus disc as a whole, the 'Crazy Diamond' excerpt, the breathing-in-a-spacesuit noises, I could go on.  I wonder if they can top REM with their next release?
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Mon, 2008-07-07, 18:52:12
Yes, a strong contender for the highlight of my life.

Above Ms Jones ?  - and me ?   :D :D :D

I wonder if they can top REM with their next release?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will. They have everything goin the right way. They're one of the big names of InsideOut, they're invited to big venues all over the world, they're cult in Poland, and most importantly, they're big in the Room   ;D

One thing I'm sure of is that they're hearing so much about their deficient English that there'l be a great improvement here on their next album.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-07-07, 19:12:08
Above Ms Jones ?  - and me ?   :D :D :D

I couldn't possibly comment.  ;D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-07-07, 19:12:08
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will.

I certainly hope they will.  What I was thinking was I didn't think they could better 'Second Life Syndrome' and then they went and did it, so who knows what joys will come next?  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

... I love the bonus disc as a whole, the 'Crazy Diamond' excerpt, the breathing-in-a-spacesuit noises, I could go on ...

Shropshire Laddie, I don't see how Disc Two could be a bonus disc when the title song/instrumental is on it and not on Disc One, and when Disc Two is even better than Disc One. I mean, it would kinda deceive the purpose. Unless you meant the b*ers disc, Steve  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Mike Oldfield still sounds good to me. And Maggie Reilly sings like a (w*) dream. Just added her to my fave singers. (Beginning to get some ladies in there.)

Queens are drivin me crazy (even more than Appy, Paco and Bupie are doin it) with their Rated R - but who cares ?  Does it make any difference ?  Gelert is still way ahead of me  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-07-07, 23:54:05
Shropshire Laddie, I don't see how Disc Two could be a bonus disc when the title song/instrumental is on it and not on Disc One, and when Disc Two is even better than Disc One. I mean, it would kinda deceive the purpose. Unless you meant the b*ers disc, Steve  ;D

My apologies, double-oh-ten, I seemed to have missed this when you originally posted it.  :-[  It is bizarre to have the title track on a bonus disc, especially when it's such a classic.  But that's how it's described in many places - progrock.co.uk and Amazon for starters.  I don't know if it's correct or not, of course, I'm only repeating it!
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Just added Nevermore to my fave groups. I'm completely addicted to This Godless Endeavor for the time.

Imagine Opeth without the growls but in all other ways even wilder, nearing the insane, and an incredible production too - that would be TGE  *horns*

The only problem I have is that the lyrics and graphics are darker than Opeth's too ... hm ... but the music - takes your breath away !!!

To all Opeth fans:  Check out this amazing group !

Nevermore are based in Seattle - one of the great prog centers  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

Nevermore is truly magnificent. Of course, a bit on the hard and noisy side for me, but Warrel Dane is a genius. Generally speaking, the lyrics are superb. Very dark, as you say, but man can he hit the nail on the head some times.

And while we're at it, check out the all new Warrel Dane solo album. I think it's the best he's done. More melodic and song-based than Nevermore, and with truly great lyrics.

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-07-15, 19:39:08
Nevermore is truly magnificent.

Suprised that you like it, Deenie. You don't usually go for such "noisy" music. But great to share  :)

Yes, Warrel is genius. So is Jeff Loomis, his guitar playing is unbelievable. And the drums and bass are extraordinary too, huh ?

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-07-15, 19:39:08
And while we're at it, check out the all new Warrel Dane solo album.

Praises To The War Machine. Yeah, I have it too. Fabulous too !

It's more accessible than TGE, and it helped me get into TGE.

Back-cataloging Nevermore is top priority for me now  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

Oooooohhhhh.... you haven't got the first one yet?

Lucky bastard. Look forward. Look very forward... and make a note of the time and date when you first laid ears on "Sanity assassin"...

...hell, while you're at it, jot down what the weather is like as "Garden of gray" and "Hurting words" leap out of the speakers, too.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-07-15, 19:57:49
Suprised that you like it, Deenie. You don't usually go for such "noisy" music. But great to share  :)

I believe if it is melodic, and good enough, I'll be able to appreciate it. I would still prefer the noise to be removed, I guess... I don't think I've ever appreciated the noise itself. Power, however, I understand. Might, raw and unforgiving... cool. *horns*

Nicky007

Hey, Deenie, how did you come across Nevermore in the first place ?  I mean, it's not like you go to the baker and ask for a (rock'n')roll and they exclaim "Nevermore!!!"

I only know about'em cause my friend Mads at Fona is a true prog cognoscente  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

Oh, it started with Sanctuary. I was quite taken by "Future tense", which they had a video for. This was from their second album, Into the mirror black, which I bought and enjoyed. "Eden lies obscured"... Aaahhh rrrghghhh... I was already aware of them at the time of their first album, Refuge denied, but I never got to listen to them much.

Naturally, when Warrel went on to form Nevermore, I joined the ride.

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-07-12, 19:39:38
Queens are drivin me crazy (even more than Appy, Paco and Bupie are doin it) ...
I'm surprised to not find my name in there, Nicky!  ;)

Nicky007

Well, you were away. But don't worry, you're back in the DNCC again  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-07-16, 22:06:28
Well, you were away. But don't worry, you're back in the DNCC again  ;D

Nicky.

Driving Nicky Crazy Competition?

maddox

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-07-16, 23:42:53

I think Nicky will win that competition.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-07-16, 23:42:53

Good guess, Paxi. Only the last C should be "Club"  :)

You're a member, so it's good for you to know  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-07-18, 21:43:52
Good guess, Paxi. Only the last C should be "Club"  :)

You're a member, so it's good for you to know  ;D

Nicky.

So that makes me DNCCM!

Nicky007

Due to the ravings of Stevie and Proglady, and a tempting review in Progarchives (yes, Bups & Paxi, I go there sometimes)

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3062

I'v added Osada Vida's The Body Parts Party to my SL.

WinterStrain's Shifting Sands and Gary Hughes' Once And Future King, Part 2, have also been added recently.

Deenie, maybe other roomies are interested too:  What are the easiest ways to get Shifting Sands ?  (How about driving down and delivering copies personally ? )  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can