News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Magenta

Started by Bupie, Sat, 2006-12-16, 10:10:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

What do you think of them ?

So far, I have only their DVD The Gathering and I find it really excellent. Some kind of a perfect blend of pop and prog. To be honest, as a grown-up male, I think the charm of Christina helps a little bit  ;)

I think my next pick will be the album Seven but I hesitate between Revolutions and Home as a follow-up.

Any ideas about it ?

maddox

I only have the album 'Seven' and although it's pretty nice i don't get an overwhelmed feeling of it. I've heard that 'Home' is a magnificent album but i'm not really sure yet if i will buy it.

Overall, nice music but not really my cup of tea.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

maddox

Have to change my perspective about Magenta. Seven is, as i already said, okay but since i've bought Home...Man, that's a brilliant album. It ended high in my top whatever list of 2006. I've got the 2cd set so it includes the "New York Suite".

Overall: extremely nice.  8)

Bupie

You should try the EP Broken too. Brilliant !

PH

So I tried Magenta a few days ago and was stunned.
I need to buy Home. And their The Singles cd is quite excellent too!

My wishlist is expanding...

Proglady

Hi you guys,  :) Revolution is very good too!!!

Bupie

Quote from: Proglady on Mon, 2007-07-23, 23:24:29
Hi you guys,  :) Revolution is very good too!!!

Agreed : Revolutions and Pride are really two extraordinary gems !!! Their DVD, The Gathering, is also very good.

I am more reluctant with Home but maybe I didn't listen to it enough.

Anyway, a band that any proglover should check out  ;)

Bupie

Magenta's new album will be released in April. I hope the music will be lighter than the art cover might suggest : http://www.magenta-web.co.uk/news.html#270108

I guess in the 70's this cover would have been censored. Even now, I am not sure that it will be authorized in the USA. PH, maybe you shouldn't look ...

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2008-01-31, 14:46:36Magenta's new album will be released in April. I hope the music will be lighter than the art cover might suggest : http://www.magenta-web.co.uk/news.html#270108

I guess in the 70's this cover would have been censored. Even now, I am not sure that it will be authorized in the USA. PH, maybe you shouldn't look ...

Of course I've taken a look. I mean, why should I hide from the world? ;)
I think it's strange...
I mean, I know that Steve Reed (Rob Reed's brother) writes all the lyrics for Magenta. And I know that he's a christian.
I cannot rhyme this with the direction Magenta is taking.
And again a self-proclaimed christian confuses me (as John Petrucci did earlier with his lyrics).

-Paco

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2008-01-31, 14:46:36
Magenta's new album will be released in April. I hope the music will be lighter than the art cover might suggest : http://www.magenta-web.co.uk/news.html#270108

Hehe, only four songs on the album. Great.  :D

PH

I've taken a closer look at the cover art and I saw a piece of wood behind the guy's left arm (or what's left of it actually...).
Also, there's this "thing" around his head that does remind me of a halo or aureole.
And on his chest there's a snake on a pole (rod of Asclepius, or Nehushtan).

(Numbers 21: 4-9)

In the Bible we can find the history of the Israelites who wandered in the desert for fourty years. The people of Israel were always straying away from God, so God punished them once in a while. At some time in this history he send venomous snakes to the Israelites. Some people died, but Moses prayed to God and asked Him to stop it. And God told Moses to put a bronze snake on a pole and hold it high. Everyone who looks at it, won't die of the poison. So to be saved you had to look at the snake on the pole.

Well, in John 3, the verses 14, 15 and 16, the Bible tells us: "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

So to conclude:
The bronze snake was lifted up on a pole, and you should look at it to be saved, to stay alive.
Jesus was lifted up on a cross, and you only have to believe to be saved, to receive eternal life.

Here ends my preaching... sorry for this, sometimes I can't stop talking about it! ;D

Anyway, this cover art is kindof mocking this message.
And when you take a look at www.killustrations.com (because that's the company that has designed Magenta's new album cover) you'll see some more "art" that this guy made...
Disgusting!

Steve Reed, the hypocrite.

-Paco

Bupie

Thanks for the link, PH. I'll take a look later.

I can't tell that the cover is artistically bad -the drawing in itself is rather brilliant- and if the point is to illustrate a song about a serial killer, I can understand the choice. But I still find it shocking and morbid. And I will have to hide it from my kids for a few years.That being said, I don't see the link that you seem to see with a kind of "non christian behaviour" leading to your conclusion "Steve Reed, the hypocrite"???  :-\

PH

Steve Reed is a christian.
He writes the lyrics for Magenta.
And with a cover like that (with the information given in my previous post) I think it's at the very least "strange".

I can write whole articles about the subject, but I leave it with this.

-Paco

maddox

You can watch a video about the new album, with a sample of one of the four songs over here.
Sounds promising.  8)