News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

PH's CD list

Started by PH, Tue, 2005-12-20, 07:53:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2011-11-27, 20:55:21
How about some Yes, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd?

Seconded, and how can one have a proper rock collection without the classic Beatles albums (Abbey Road, Let It Be, White Album, Sgt. Pepper's), Rolling Stones (Their Satanic Majesties Request, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Flowers), and David Bowie (Diamond Dogs, 'Hours...', Ziggy Stardust, "Heroes", Space Oddity, Station to Station) ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2011-11-27, 11:14:40
Try the following moderately heavy melodic metal bands and artists, all pantheon with me: Shadow Gallery, Dominici, Symphony X, Queensrÿche, Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder, Subsignal, Sieges Even, Robert Plant, Explorers Club, Dali's Dilemma, Stride, Avenged Sevenfold, Alice in Chains, Jerry Cantrell, DeadSoul Tribe, Arcturus, Down, Enslaved, Extreme (ex-dream), Pearl Jam, Judas Priest, Them Crooked Vultures, Tool, Vanden Plas, Adagio - should keep you occupied for while  :)

Thanks for that! :) I'll check them out when I can find some time. I already know a good deal of those bands.

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2011-11-27, 20:55:21
How about some Yes, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd?

I've been through a period when I listened to a lot of Pink Floyd, thanks to my dad. I've tried Led Zeppelin, but that didn't do much for me. I think it doesn't really fit into the three you just mentioned.

I'm working on Yes. ;)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2011-12-11, 13:32:07
Seconded, and how can one have a proper rock collection without the classic Beatles albums (Abbey Road, Let It Be, White Album, Sgt. Pepper's), Rolling Stones (Their Satanic Majesties Request, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Flowers), and David Bowie (Diamond Dogs, 'Hours...', Ziggy Stardust, "Heroes", Space Oddity, Station to Station) ?

I think I'll never listen to the Beatles again. I found it terribly tiring and boring. Same for Rolling Stones. I can see why you mentioned them, since they're classic. But no... I don't find them challenging at all. Perhaps they were at that time, but we've moved on.
I never actually tried Bowie. I will check it out.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2011-12-15, 15:38:32
I think it doesn't really fit into the three you just mentioned.

???

I already know a good deal of those bands.

Which ones, Paxi ?

but we've moved on

:o >:( :( ??? ::) :-[ :-\ :'(

I think it'l come with age, Paxi  ;)

I think the keyword to getting late Beatles is elegance - aint that so, Iggy, Funky, Bupie, and ye other oldies ? Of course one doesnt have that when one's young  :P

I never actually tried Bowie. I will check it out.

Betcha  8)

Hm, I better stop, so that you don't catch up with me  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2011-12-16, 16:39:21
???

To me, Led Zeppelin is on a totally different level compared to Yes and Pink Floyd.
Yes and Pink Floyd are more symphonic and adventurous.

Which ones, Paxi ?

Well, I've listened to:
Shadow Gallery's "Tyranny" and "Room V".

I had a Symphony X period. I listened a lot to "V: The Mythology Suite" and "Paradise Lost".

Queensrÿche was one of the first Prog Metal bands I listened to. Actually, I discovered Queensrÿche and Dream Theater almost simultaneously. At first I liked Queensrÿche a lot more, but in the end Dream Theater won. I listened to "Tribe" and "Operation: Mindcrime II" and I'm sure I can still sing along to a few songs of the "Tribe" album. Quite catchy stuff actually. 8)

I was blown away by Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls" initially. But I never took it deeper and there was so much going on that year.

Regarding Subsignal, I am still in discovery phase.

I was listening to Explorers Club even before I joined this forum (even before you Nicky?). This because I was enjoying Dream Theater so much, I wanted to listen to anything related to that band. "Age Of Impact" was nice, but at that time, John Petrucci's solo album and the Liquid Tension Experiment albums made more 'impact'. Besides, their second album "Raising The Mammoth" had two lenghty songs and I was not ready for that. But I think I just have to get back to that one.

Tool is an odd one. Some bits are really cool, but most of the time it leaves me cold...

That leaves:
Dominici, Circus Maximus, Sieges Even, Robert Plant, Dali's Dilemma, Stride, Avenged Sevenfold, Alice in Chains, Jerry Cantrell, DeadSoul Tribe, Arcturus, Down, Extreme (ex-dream), Pearl Jam, Judas Priest, Them Crooked Vultures, Vanden Plas and Adagio.

Some well known names to me, and some lesser known names. Well, I guess I have some homework to do.

:o >:( :( ??? ::) :-[ :-\ :'(

I think it'l come with age, Paxi  ;)

I think the keyword to getting late Beatles is elegance - aint that so, Iggy, Funky, Bupie, and ye other oldies ? Of course one doesnt have that when one's young  :P

I don't think it'll come with age, Nicky. I just don't like it. I already loathed "we all live in a yellow submarine", we had to sing it in class. Same for "Yesterday". I've heard a few albums, and it was all the same to me. Nah, I didn't like it. Sorry guys!

PH

I added Ambeon's Fate Of A Dreamer to the list.
Also, Steven Wilson's "Grace For Drowning". An excellent album!!! And one of the best (if not THE BEST) album of 2011! I got it for Sinterklaas. ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-12-19, 18:38:01
Yes and Pink Floyd are more symphonic and adventurous.

Zep created a musical revolution with their first two albums, I & II, as big as Floyd with The Dark Side Of The Moon  *horns*

Like so many lesser groups (Priest at the time, Maiden still), they could'v continued milking the cow, putting out the saaaaame ooooold stuff again and again, selling millions of albums, and rocking the arena crowds (not Clive & Co.  ;D ). Nope, that was not Page & Plant !  Instead they metamorphosed completely with their following albums, always experimenting, always exerting themselves to express blues, folk, and rock in new exciting shapes  8)

So talk about being adventurous  ;)

But OK, such are Floyd and Yes too  *horns*

Good comparison, Paxi, I just had to remove the "more"  ;D

I listened a lot to "V: The Mythology Suite" and "Paradise Lost".

That was their transitional period: Up to V they were very classical and symphonic. With PL they started getting more metal. Their latest, Iconoclast, is a fabulous, real heavy and raucous album  *horns*

Queensrÿche was one of the first Prog Metal bands I listened to.

Q are another fascinating group, a true prog group, always experimenting and challenging, while retaining their strong sense of melody and rhythm  *horns*

I was blown away by Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls" initially

Mercy Falls is the one SW album that I don't have. Their first two albums are great, but with The Great Escape they have taken the lead in melodic metal, truly blazing a new fascinating trail in prog  *horns*

"Age Of Impact" was nice

:o

Age Of Impact is a total masterpiece. Fading Fast is my overall fave song. I have to have my daily fix of that mindblowing piece. The rest of the album is fabulous too, requires lotta listens to fully unfold  *horns*

I think I just have to get back to that one.

;)

That leaves: ... ... Well, I guess I have some homework to do.

;)

"We all live in a yellow submarine"

That was a silly song  ::)

Paxi, have you listened properly to The White Album and Abbey Road, my two fave Beatles albums ?  If not, then you have no idea of how great Beatles were  *horns*

So, back to Lions Cage .....  :)  - still have a good lead  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2011-12-20, 16:08:48
That was a silly song  ::)

I'm glad we agree on that.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2011-12-20, 16:08:48
Paxi, have you listened properly to The White Album and Abbey Road, my two fave Beatles albums ?  If not, then you have no idea of how great Beatles were  *horns*

I've listened to "Abbey Road" and it was awful. I couldn't find anything inspired there. It was boring as hell and the lyrics are a disaster. It may have been groundbreaking at that time, but compared to everything we have now, this album is rubbish.
Yes, rubbish.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2011-12-20, 19:41:45
Yes, rubbish.

I see some badinage there  :P

Just don't say to yer Dad what you posted to me, as he'l probably throw you out of the house  ;)

Man, youths  ::)

Guess I was like that too once.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2011-12-21, 15:42:23
Just don't say to yer Dad what you posted to me, as he'l probably throw you out of the house  ;)

I told him and guess what? He agreed with me. ;D Although my dad is not fond of both, if my dad had to choose, he'd rather be in the Rolling Stones camp. But my dad was more into Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Rush, Moody Blues, Procul Harum, Supertramp, ELO, Renaissance, Status Quo, Kansas, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Queen, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Alan Parsons Project.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2011-12-20, 19:41:45
I've listened to "Abbey Road" ...

Once ?  ???

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-12-21, 17:54:39
But my dad was more into ....

Betcha, Paxi, you were probably conceived in billows of cannabis. Explains everything  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

In this world there are two kinds of people; on one side the people who like the Rolling Stones and on the other side the people who like the Beatles.

No true Beatles fan can do anything with the Rolling Stones and visa versa.

Granted, they made some obscure and meaningless songs but to me The Beatles are essential in any collection, regardless if you're a Rolling Stones fan or not.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2011-12-27, 11:18:10
In this world there are two kinds of people; on one side the people who like the Rolling Stones and on the other side the people who like the Beatles.

Yeah, I remember when I was young, the world was divvied up like that  ::)

However, I'v liked both groups since I was about 15, or more precisely: I like Beatles, Rubber Soul - Let It Be (last released studio album), and Stones, December's Children - Beggars Banquet.

There are of course some great songs on albums outside of these periods, but the latter are imo the golden ages for these two great groups  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2011-12-27, 11:18:10
Wow, so I have to admit that I am out of this world  :o ... which could explain a few things  ;D

PH

Pfff... all this Beatles talk... I can't stand it. ;) And that all in my listening profile!

Ok, when I was in Germany for a week, I couldn't resist buying this cd boxset:

Ray Wilson: Genesis Vs. Stiltskin

It consists of a double live cd called "Genesis Classic - Live In Poznan", along with a dvd with some songs of the same concert. Also a cd of Stiltskin called "Unfulfillment".

So that's three cds and one dvd for the ridiculous price of 19.99 euros!!

Whaddaya think of that?! ;D

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-01-08, 20:57:09
So that's three cds and one dvd for the ridiculous price of 19.99 euros!!

Whaddaya think of that?! ;D
Not bad at all  ;). Really love the Genesis album 'Calling All Stations' with Ray on vocals. This album is way too underrated!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-01-08, 20:57:09
Pfff... all this Beatles talk... I can't stand it. ;) And that all in my listening profile!

Maybe one day you'l grow up, Paxi  :P

Iac I'm helpin ya catch up with me  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2012-01-10, 13:07:13
Maybe one day you'l grow up, Paxi  :P

Never, Cpt. Hooky007! Or my name is not Peter Paxi.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2012-01-10, 13:07:13
Iac I'm helpin ya catch up with me  ;D

For that I am grateful.

PH

I now also added all the samplers I got with magazines etc.

Today I got another one: "CRS presents: New Species, Volume 2".
With an Arena track 8)

I'm also going to update my wishlist now.

Bupie

The New Species Volume 1 was great. So far I enjoy the Volume 2 less but it needs more spins.

PH

I added three new cds:

Anathema - "Falling Deeper"
I love this one to bits. Couldn't find "We're Here Because We're Here", but If I could, I had bought it too. Can't wait for their next one.

Gazpacho - "March Of Ghosts"
Didn't have the opportunity to listen to it as a whole, but it's one of the few albums I bought on the basis of small bits of good ratings, samples and one full song.

Devin Townsend - "Terria"
(only 7,99 euros)
Secretly I know Mr. Townsend already, but this is the first physical album I buy. I remember seeing this one on ProgArchives being rated as his best album.

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2012-04-05, 21:49:28
Devin Townsend - "Terria"
(only 7,99 euros)
Secretly I know Mr. Townsend already, but this is the first physical album I buy. I remember seeing this one on ProgArchives being rated as his best album.

One could certainly make a case for that.  It includes my favorite song of his, "Earth Day."  Eat your beets!
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

PH

Today I bought two new albums:

It Bites - "Map Of The Past"
which sounds really nice on first listen. 8) It is It Bites' fifth studio album (or Kino's third...) and their first concept album about, well, the past actually.

OSI - "Fire Make Thunder"
more of the same... which I like! ;D Still, I think with this album they stopped adding new things. "Free" was quite different from "Office Of Strategic Influence", and "Blood" was even a little bit further away. This one is in the same line as "Blood". I think it's a grower.

I also bought my first replacement.
Porcupine Tree - "In Absentia" needed a replacement since it doesn't play on my cd player anymore. I was lucky to find this one for only 5 euros. ;)

PH

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-04-15, 20:26:36
I just added a photo of my newly bought cd shelf unit.

If you don't have more cd's lying somewhere else, you seem to have about 150 cd's in all. You can be happy that you'r not as crazy about music as I am. I have about 1300 cd's, collected over eight years. And I wonder how that's possible. I havent had a proper job in all those years, and I havent had any money  :o

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2012-04-16, 14:22:13
If you don't have more cd's lying somewhere else, you seem to have about 150 cd's in all. You can be happy that you'r not as crazy about music as I am. I have about 1300 cd's, collected over eight years. And I wonder how that's possible. I havent had a proper job in all those years, and I havent had any money  :o

Nicky.

I think I need to update that photo now. Since the shelf is getting rather full now. And I have been listening to Prog for seven years now, but I'm also still a student.

Anyway there's a lot of music coming up. And I'm being mr. Buy-a-lot lately...
Today I bought a 3-in-1 Anathema package: "Judgement", "A Fine Day To Exit" and "A Natural Disaster", for only 16 euros.
The only downside is: no nice booklet or anything... just three discs in a slipcase. But I couldn't resist.
Also bought "Hindsight" for 9 euros.
I'm really getting there I think.