News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Deenfan

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-08-15, 11:23:44
I havent listened to much Alcatrazz, but enough to know that it's pretty regular hard rock.

What Steve Vai has done from Passion And Warfare on is groundbreaking, not only guitarwise, but also compositionally, melodically, lyrically and musicianshipally (the last word I just made up).

Problem is:  Noone cares. Proggies have their routines too, a bit wider than other rockers, and hardly anybody is on the lookout for adventurous stuff like Steve Vai's.

Nicky.

What I find interesting and rewarding about the Alcatrazz work he did, is what I think it all comes down to in the end, always: How to put creativity to use for the purpose of the song, as opposed to for the purpose of being inventive. To me, extreme or outrageous musical ideas or performances are great in the same way the antics of the people that put on a show in a circus are. But none of what they do is really very useful, if you get my drift. It's the fact that it's done that is the point.

I like songs. Vai did some very fine songs, too, but invariably, those where the ones where his originality was enhancing the song, and the song had a purpose of it's own to begin with. Some of his Flexable (?) work was not really songs, but showcases of what could be done on a guitar, which is fine for what it is.

Nicky007

Deenie, I'm not talking about Flex-Able, which never gripped me much; no, I'm talkin bout Fire Garden, The Ultra Zone, and above all, "Real Illusions: Reflections". These are ingenious !  And SV is a master of composition; he simply doesnt just noodle about on these albums; everything is very tight and superprofessionally played and recorded.

If ya dont know these albums, then get'm and play'm to fatigue; they're worth it  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Fri, 2008-08-15, 08:56:48
I have given the old prog a miss for a few months so i am seuffering from withdrawl symptoms at the mo  ;) 

I believe it, Funkster. Life atrophies without good music (and vegetables)  :)

How's the church work goin ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Genesis - In London
Recorded & filmed live in concert at the Lyceum Ballroom, May, 6th 1980.
Excellent! With songs like Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and One For The Vine and lots of other great songs from The Lamb till Duke.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Edenbridge - MyEarthDream
Really awesome melodic, symphonic, proggish, female fronted metal.
Karl Groom plays a guitar solo on one song, and the whole album is filled with amazing songs!
The band is from Austria and they are very good at writing melodies that stick in your head.
An excellent addition in my collection!
I'm really going to look for more albums by this remarkable band.

-Paco

Steve Jones

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2008-08-16, 19:00:17
Genesis - In London
Recorded & filmed live in concert at the Lyceum Ballroom, May, 6th 1980.
Excellent! With songs like Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and One For The Vine and lots of other great songs from The Lamb till Duke.

What's the picture and sound quality like on this one?  I have fond memories of that tour (saw them twice *horns*) and also watched the edited highlights of the Lyceum gig on TV not long afterwards.  Trouble is, a lot of reports aren't very positive when it comes to the quality of the DVD - so I've never bought it in case a treasured memory becomes tarnished.  :o

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2008-08-16, 19:00:17
Edenbridge - MyEarthDream
Really awesome melodic, symphonic, proggish, female fronted metal.

They've been on my Check Out Real Soon list for some time now.  Unfortunately something else always seems to jump ahead of them in the queue. :(

Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

PH

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-08-16, 20:06:53What's the picture and sound quality like on this one?  I have fond memories of that tour (saw them twice *horns*) and also watched the edited highlights of the Lyceum gig on TV not long afterwards.  Trouble is, a lot of reports aren't very positive when it comes to the quality of the DVD - so I've never bought it in case a treasured memory becomes tarnished.  :o
Well, to be honest, it's nothing like your common DVD of course. But it's just as you say a brilliant concert, with nice songs.

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-08-16, 20:06:53They've been on my Check Out Real Soon list for some time now.  Unfortunately something else always seems to jump ahead of them in the queue. :(
Well, don't wait any longer. This is highly addictive stuff.
I've played this album everyday since I bought it in Koblenz, Germany. In fact, I'm listening to it right now!

It often reminds me of Threshold (very often). But where Threshold is more proggy, Edenbridge is heavier and more focusing on melodies you will remember.

-Paco

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Devin Townsend - Terria.

I thought: What the heck, lets give this fellow a chance.
I don't regret it for now. Very Tonwsend-ish but with a groove. A proggy groove.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

I bought Townsends Ocean Machine two years ago (on Amazon recoms), but I didnt listen much to it at the time - it was too heavy for me. But times change, and people too, and thus me too. So thanks for reminding me, Mad; gonna give OM some spins when I get back to Cop.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Coheed and Cambria Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World for Tomorrow.

Can't remember why I ordered it but there you go.

maddox

I went to Kleve today and had surprisingly enough quite some fun but i had to enter the Saturn store to buy me some new things:

Spock's Beard - Live 2CD
Spock's Beard - Live 2DVD
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry Reissue.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2008-08-20, 20:49:22I went to Kleve today and had surprisingly enough quite some fun but i had to enter the Saturn store to buy me some new things

Ahhh you found it! ;)
You had a nice day?

-Paco

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2008-08-19, 22:37:53
Coheed and Cambria Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World for Tomorrow.

Can't remember why I ordered it but there you go.

But do you like it? I know I do, although I think their previous album is slightly better.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Iggy

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2008-08-20, 22:39:37
But do you like it? I know I do, although I think their previous album is slightly better.

Tom

I think it has potential after the first spin.

The vocal style takes a bit of getting used to.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2008-08-20, 23:09:05
I think it has potential after the first spin.

The vocal style takes a bit of getting used to.

Yeah I know, but after you're used to the singing it rocks! For those that don't know: Their music is a great blend of prog, pop and punk. Check http://www.myspace.com/coheedandcambria if you are interested!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-08-20, 22:32:11
Ahhh you found it! ;)
You had a nice day?

-Paco

Sure. Found it the last time i was in Kleve too.  ;)

I indeed had a nice day.  *horns*
Kleve is such a nice town to wander in.

Steve Jones

DVD: St Trinians box set.  The proper St Trinians, not the modern chav-fest.

DVD: I Didn't Know you Cared, series 2.

Blu-Ray: Apocalypto.

No music this week  :(
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-08-22, 10:52:48

DVD: I Didn't Know you Cared, series 2.

Is that the series with Liz Smith and Robin Bailey?

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-08-23, 19:07:38
Is that the series with Liz Smith and Robin Bailey?

That's the badger.  Robin Bailey is superb as Uncle Mort and the series is up there with the Blackadders and Pythons as far as I'm concerned.  Not unreasonably priced at Amazon, either...  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-08-23, 20:00:56
That's the badger.  Robin Bailey is superb as Uncle Mort and the series is up there with the Blackadders and Pythons as far as I'm concerned.  Not unreasonably priced at Amazon, either...  ;)

Awesome. I'll av a half.

maddox

Finding Nemo DVD
The Incredibles DVD
Cinderella DVD
4400 box season Three
The Interpreter

And...

10 Kilo Spare Ribs.  ;D

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2008-08-23, 21:41:24And...

10 Kilo Spare Ribs.  ;D

Have you listened to that one yet?

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-08-23, 22:08:14
Aye...
Well...
Ummmmmm...

I assume you have series one. I haven't seen that for 30 years I guess.

Just purchased a new hard drive for the server.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2008-08-25, 10:27:40
I assume you have series one. I haven't seen that for 30 years I guess.

Oh yes, and it won't be long before I get 3 & 4.  8)  Classic series, the humour hasn't aged at all.

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2008-08-25, 10:27:40
Just purchased a new hard drive for the server.

Didn't take you long to fill a terabyte, did it.  ;D  Must be all those Yes bootlegs.  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones