News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2008-07-13, 19:58:28
Especially Paramount is excellent!

Right, Tom.

One of the great things about SE is that they're sooo elegant. Everything is sooo perfectly in place. You just can't imagine any note placed differently. Isnt that so ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2008-07-13, 19:58:28

- Sieges Even - Paramount

Especially Paramount is excellent!

Tom

It sure is Tom but did you ever listened to The Art Of Navigating By The Stars?

That one is bloody awesome eh very amazingly good.  *horns* ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2008-07-13, 21:01:55
That one is bloody awesome eh very amazingly good.  *horns* ;D

Sure is.  *horns*  The problem I have with Sieges Even is that (with the possible exception of Lifecycle) their best album is always the one I've just listened to.  I do wish they'd stop this!  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-07-13, 10:12:54
Ah if it's got the bonzo's in it's a must.
Hooray more stuff on the way.   :D

Streuth!  It seems to have sold out today, I wonder if I'll get a percentage?  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-07-13, 20:08:35
Right, Tom.

One of the great things about SE is that they're sooo elegant. Everything is sooo perfectly in place. You just can't imagine any note placed differently. Isnt that so ?

It sure seems that way! Listened to the album a couple of times now and so far I like it, although I have to say that I think the first part of the album is slightly better.

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2008-07-13, 21:01:55

No, but tell me about it. Is it better than Paramount?

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-07-15, 09:01:04

No, but tell me about it. Is it better than Paramount?

Tom

Way way way way better than Paramount.
It's more Rush-like then Paramount is. When i first listened to it literally blew me off my feet.

Lots of technicalities on this album while Paramount is more mainstream.
Maybe you can compare it with the two last albums of Sylvan. Though Presets was good, PS was a total different story music wise. 

Now i'm not saying that Paramount is bad though since it's not but TAONBTS is a league of its own.  *horns*

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-07-13, 23:18:28
Streuth!  It seems to have sold out today, I wonder if I'll get a percentage?  ;)

Probably only had one left. It turned up today so gonna give it a spin later.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2008-07-15, 21:59:47
Probably only had one left. It turned up today so gonna give it a spin later.

There were 5 left when I posted the link.  I wonder if all 5 went to Splatterd Loonies?  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2008-07-15, 19:30:30
Now i'm not saying that Paramount is bad though since it's not but TAONBTS is a league of its own.  *horns*

I know what you mean there, in fact I often think that myself - normally after I've just played Navigating, unsurprisingly!  Trouble is, when I play Paramount, I start to think that, no, Paramount is better in some ways.  Hell, I just can't make up my mind these days.  ;D

On the Rush comparison front, I hereby nominate 'A Sense of Change' as the keeper of that particular flame.  The first time I heard it I was blown off my feet, as you say.  I was half expecting to see Alex Lifeson listed as guitar tech.  ;D *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry. (The 3 disc version)
Regards, Steve Jones

PH

Not a cd or DVD, but certainly a purchase.

A Panasonic Headphone.
Much better than my cheap HEMA thingies.
I'm now listening to Gazpacho'z Night with it. Oooohhhh that's soooo brilliant!!
Bloody brilliant, I would say if I were an Englishman. ;)

-Paco

Steve Jones

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-07-16, 18:58:23
Bloody brilliant, I would say if I were an Englishman. ;)

Sorry, but we're not recruiting at the moment.  ;) ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

PH

Deenfan

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2008-07-16, 18:36:30
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry. (The 3 disc version)

oooohhhh, what's on those, then??

maddox

Quote from: Deenfan on Wed, 2008-07-16, 21:17:39

Yeah, i'd like to know that too.  ???

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2008-07-16, 19:04:34
Sorry, but we're not recruiting at the moment.  ;) ;)

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-07-16, 19:32:25
Bummer...

We don't need any backdoor Englishmen  ;D

Quote from: Deenfan on Wed, 2008-07-16, 21:17:39

Yeah, I was curious too, being a big FW fan ... so I looked it up on Amazon. Here's Spooky's review, June 11, 2008 :

"Fates' best re-release so far

Let me start out by saying I am a huge Fates Warning fan and think this is one of their best albums. I think the album was originally mastered superbly so the reason for purchasing this was not for the re-mastered main disc, but because of the extras. In this case, the demos are much higher quality recordings than the demos on the previous re-releases. They are also a lot more enlightening because this was a real transition album for the band and the demos really show the band still searching for an updated sound. Their new sound really gelled on the final recording but was still falling into place on these demos. The songs are a lot less developed than on the actual album and especially the demos of the songs with Steve Zimmerman on drums they still sound like "old" Fates Warning. The demos on the previous re-releases were interesting to listen to, but not something I cared to listen to more than once or twice because of the sound quality. So in this regard, this is the best re-release so far in my opinion. I have not watched the DVD yet, but I did watch the trailer, and based on what they showed there, it looks pretty much like bootlegs with rare glimpses at Ray doing some John Arch songs, but overall bootleg-quality audio.

For the price, this is a bargain for 2 CDs and a DVD and the demos CD is worth the price alone."

I was fortunate to see Ray sing at the Redemption concert at the Headway Festival (in this weird flat country with weird people, who'd actually prefer to be Englishmen) and talk with him afterwards - pretty special fellow, real cool and 100% musician.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-07-16, 21:44:53
We don't need any backdoor Englishmen  ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-07-16, 21:44:53
Yeah, I was curious too, being a big FW fan ... so I looked it up on Amazon. Here's Spooky's review, June 11, 2008 :

Well, that certainly saved me some typing. ;)

The bonus DVD was the deciding factor for me with this one, although I won't get chance to watch it until the end of the week.  A good while ago I picked up the version of APSOG with the extra DVD featuring the whole album played live on stage.  Now that's what I call a bonus!  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-07-16, 21:44:53We don't need any backdoor Englishmen  ;D
And what about you? Are you back-up?

Deenfan

Cool stuff. I still think "Perfect symmetry" is their best album ever, and I have them all. I am relieved they changed drummers, 'cause the old one was a lot of work in a neanderthal way, while Zonder is exquisite and subtle.

Come to think of it, I think "Perfect symmetry" is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Steve Jones

No music, but a selection of Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies on Blu-Ray:

• Bladerunner
  • Déjà Vu
  • Fantastic 4
  • Spider-Man 1-3 boxed
  • Underworld

I've vowed not to duplicate stuff in hi-def if I've already got it on DVD, but there will be one or two exceptions.  Bladerunner is just such an exception as it's one of my all-time favourite films. *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-07-16, 23:47:30
And what about you? Are you back-up?

Good riposte, Paxi  ;D

Guess I'l have to cover my back up when I meet you one fine day  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Savatage Streets

Poped through the letterbox this afternoon.

Thanks to the guys (and gals)  in the room who recommended it.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-07-19, 16:32:07
Poped through the letterbox this afternoon.

Buying new music has always been a near-religious experience for me, but even so I've never managed to get his holiness to personally deliver my CDs.  Respect!  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Deenfan

Ah, creative pickyishness. Respect. 8) :D

PH

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-07-19, 18:09:47
Buying new music has always been a near-religious experience for me, but even so I've never managed to get his holiness to personally deliver my CDs.  Respect!  ;D

:D