Author Topic: Favourite 2019 albums  (Read 41 times)

Offline Teunis

• Beyond Reckoning
  • Prog rules
Favourite 2019 albums
« on: Mon, 2020-01-13, 20:16:26 »
The inevitable thread ;D. Which albums, released in 2019 impressed you most? Disappointments of the year? You can write it here.

1. The Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure
I always expect quality from Neal Morse (and his band). Frankly speaking I was disappointed at first listening, but after several listenings it gripped me and I kept on pushing the 'repeat' button. Wow, a great adventure indeed. Even my wife loves the album and asks me to play it sometimes :).

2. Leprous - Pitfalls
Had the same experience as with 'The Great Adventure'. The previous Leprous album 'Malina' was love at first hearing, but it took me a number of listenings to love 'Pitfalls'. Often the albums that grow on you are higher on the favourite lists than the ones you love immediately.

3. IQ - Resistance
What a comeback from IQ, a double album and top quality. A little bit heavier, especially the beginning of the album, but that doesn't scare me off. On the contrary. IQ proves to be at the top of the (neo) prog league.

4. Soen - Lotus
Another top quality album with catchy melodies and top vocals. Really enjoying this album 8).

5. Bjørn Riis - A Storm Is Coming
Another great album from Airbag's guitarist. Floydian solos on a versatile album.

Without further comment:
6. Bruce Soord - All This Will Be Yours
7. Huis - Abandoned
8. Lonely Robot - Under Stars
9. Huis - Abandoned
10. Millenium - The Web

Other albums I like, but didn't make it to my top-10
Moonrise - Travel Within, Zonder/Wehrkamp - If It's Real, Lee Abraham - Comatose, Yogi Lang - A Way Out Of Here, Damian Wilson & Adam Wakeman - Stripped, RPWL - Tales From Outer Space. And Knight Area - D-Day, usually a top-10 contender for me, but I don't like the metallish voice of the new singer unfortunately :(.

Disappointment for me:
Darkwater - Human. Liked the previous albums, but this one is 'much of the same', boring at least for me :). And I wanted to mention Seventh Wonder - Tiara for the same reason, but that's a 2018 release I just noticed. Time flies ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Offline maddox

• Beyond Reckoning
  • No effects were harmed in the making of this sound
    • Mad's Last.FM page
Re: Favourite 2019 albums
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 2020-01-15, 16:14:59 »
Top 2019 list.

In retrospect, the beginning of 2019 was a bit dissapointing.
Only three albums stood out after six months, and one of them which I considered to be a great album at first, Devin Townsend's Empath, even took a free fall after the summer.
I was in awe when I heard the new Tool album, the first one in a minor 13 years (!) but as good as it is, it also sounds as one long song, meaning it sometimes lacks veriety.
The only three albums that remain constanct after each listen, are Opeth's In Cauda Venenum, IQ latest effort Resistance and the briliant comeback album Human, the first album in eight years from Swedish ensemble Darkwater.

The first three really are the best, the others are quite good.

I must unfortunately add two dissapoinments, which are the albums of The Flower Kings and Dream Theater.
Nice but I expected a whole lot more of these two.

01 : Opeth ~ In Cauda Venenum
02 : IQ ~ Resistance
03 : Darkwater ~ Human

04 : Tool ~ Fear Inoculum
05 : The Neal Morse Band ~ The Great Adventure
06 : Flying Colors ~ Thirde Degree
07 : Arch/Matheos ~ Winter Ethereal
08 : Vanden Plas ~ The Ghost Experiment: Awakening
09 : Soen ~ Lotus
10 : Barock Project ~ Seven Seas
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Offline PH

• Beyond Reckoning
  • Before we're raised up He's got to break us down.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 2020-01-15, 20:22:04 »
I have to think about this. I've listened to a lot. But I've come to the conclusion that I've also missed a lot more. Some big names that I didn't invest as much in as I'd normally do (IQ is the biggest example of this).
I'll get back on this!

Offline Teunis

• Beyond Reckoning
  • Prog rules
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 2020-01-16, 19:16:12 »
... and the briliant comeback album Human, the first album in eight years from Swedish ensemble Darkwater. ...
Hehe, my disappointment of the year is in your top-3. Music is so subjective :).

I have to think about this. I've listened to a lot. But I've come to the conclusion that I've also missed a lot more. Some big names that I didn't invest as much in as I'd normally do (IQ is the biggest example of this).
I'll get back on this!
Fair enough, curious :).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)