News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Clepsydra

Started by PH, Wed, 2013-07-17, 12:14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Switzerland doesn't have many Progressive Rock bands. One of the most well known (in fact the only one I know) is the Neo-Prog band Clepsydra. Unfortunately, when I was new to Prog (around 2004/2005), I discovered a lot of bands that had just (or a bit longer ago) decided to quit. Bands like Änglagård and of course Transatlantic. I'm probably forgetting a lot more, because I remember being disappointed a lot about missing the boat due to being born too late. (I'm still very happy to say that I was at one of the few Kino concerts). Clepsydra was also one of those bands I discovered too late (somewhere in 2007). I remember reading they actually were writing a new album, but then called it a day all of a sudden.

But recently things started to get better. Anglagard reformed and recorded a very good album (so I have heard), Transatlantic are recording (done recording?) songs for already their second album since their reunion. And now according to DPRP also Clepsydra is reforming and going to tour in 2014.

Quote from: http://www.dprp.net/wp/?p=9537The Swiss neo-progressive band Clepsydra has been compared to such artists as Step Ahead and Deyss during their career. Combining aggressive symphonic passages with quieter keyboard sections, Clepsydra has never been noted for their originality, but has developed over the years to sound quite close to neo-prog legends Marillion. Clepsydra has their origins in the all-instrumental band Delta Prophecy, formed in 1989 by Philip Hubert (keyboards), Lele Hofmann (guitar), Andy Thommen (bass), and Pietro Duca (drums). After searching for a lead singer, the group added Aluisio Maggini on vocals in January 1990 and renamed themselves Clepsydra.
After the 4th CD in 2001 the band vanished into silence but will return to the European venues somewhere 2014.

Possibly a new album on the way and hopefully they will rerelease their back catalog, since I really need to buy me a physical copy of the albums "Fears" and "Alone".

Nicky007

Well, the good news, Paxi, is that rock has never been more creative and exciting than it is now. It's just a question of being open and looking around - actually quite easy in these internet times (YouTube, Wikipedia, Amazon, iTunes, Spotify etc., stay away from radio and TV  ;) ).

As far as Switzerland is concerned, I agree with you: Surprisingly little progwise, especially considering how vital its bordering countries are - Germany, France, Austria (Italy aint too great either imo).

The best I can come up with is the brothers Brian and Yan Maillard, who play lead guitar and drums resp. on the two Dominici albums, O3, Part 2 & 3.

The O3 Trilogy is super (pantheon)  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-07-21, 14:38:45
Well, the good news, Paxi, is that rock has never been more creative and exciting than it is now. It's just a question of being open and looking around - actually quite easy in these internet times (YouTube, Wikipedia, Amazon, iTunes, Spotify etc., stay away from radio and TV  ;) ).

I agree. It's getting better and better. Progressive Rock was very popular in the 70's. Halfway in the 80's, the Neo-Prog scene came up but was very much looked down upon. At the end of the 80's, beginning of the 90's Prog-Metal was upcoming. And now, in the second decade of the 21st century, Prog is slowly coming back.

As far as Switzerland is concerned, I agree with you: Surprisingly little progwise, especially considering how vital its bordering countries are - Germany, France, Austria (Italy aint too great either imo).

You should check out the Italian bands of the seventies. I guarantee you there's so much to explore. I agree that nowadays there's not much new and original coming from Italy. But I can't say that France or Austria is doing much better.

The best I can come up with is the brothers Brian and Yan Maillard, who play lead guitar and drums resp. on the two Dominici albums, O3, Part 2 & 3.

Don't forget all the Italian immigrants in the USA: Petrucci, Satriani, Vai, Mangini, Sfogli, D'Virgilio, half of Symphony X. And there's probably more.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2013-07-21, 18:08:34
Don't forget all the Italian immigrants in the USA: Petrucci, Satriani, Vai, Mangini, Sfogli, D'Virgilio, half of Symphony X. And there's probably more.

I agree, Paxi, there's masses of talent arising in Italian immigrant families, just not in Italy itself, for some strange reason. That operatic stuff makes my skin creep  :P

I put my hopes on Novembre, but not even they did it, I ended up giving my Materia away  :(

That country has really gone down the drain, I mean, electing a Berlusconi as prime minister  ::)

Progwise there's not either anything interesting happening there ... or ?

But Paxi, I was referring to Switzerland with my statement. Brian and Yan Maillard are great Swiss musicians (brothers).

You should check out the Italian bands of the seventies. I guarantee you there's so much to explore.

Like ?

But I can't say that France or Austria is doing much better.

I definitely can ! I'v mentioned great French groups several times, but once again for you, Paxi: Adagio, Kalisia, Lazuli, Spheric Universe Experience, Gojira, Deathspell Omega, Hacride (the last three groups are probably not to your taste, Paxi).

Re Austria, it's mainly Deadsoul Tribe - but they sure are super  *horns*

Progressive Rock was very popular in the 70's. Halfway in the 80's, the Neo-Prog scene came up but was very much looked down upon. At the end of the 80's, beginning of the 90's Prog-Metal was upcoming. And now, in the second decade of the 21st century, Prog is slowly coming back.

To me, the 80´s were the somewhat stale period. 1965-1980 and 1990 onwards were/are great.

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-07-21, 18:50:32
I agree, Paxi, there's masses of talent arising in Italian immigrant families, just not in Italy itself, for some strange reason. That operatic stuff makes my skin creep  :P

I don't know. I kinda like stuff like Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli.

I put my hopes on Novembre, but not even they did it, I ended up giving my Materia away  :(

That country has really gone down the drain, I mean, electing a Berlusconi as prime minister  ::)

LOL, yeah.

Progwise there's not either anything interesting happening there ... or ?

There's a lot of classic 70's Italian Prog bands that recently reformed or released an album after a lot of years.

But Paxi, I was referring to Switzerland with my statement. Brian and Yan Maillard are great Swiss musicians (brothers).

I know. But other than Switzerland, Italy DID have a really strong progressive rock fanbase. And many classic bands were from Italy. Switzerland not much so. Never has been.

Like ?

Yeah, I like! *horns* ;)

Seriously though. Check out Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM), Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Le Orme, Il Bacio Della Medusa, La Maschera Di Cera, Hostsonaten, The Watch, NoSound. These are all bands that I've listened to and liked. Good as well as great.
I have to admit I haven't actually listened a lot to any of those bands lately. Guess it's time to revisit.

I definitely can ! I'v mentioned great French groups several times, but once again for you, Paxi: Adagio, Kalisia, Lazuli, Spheric Universe Experience, Gojira, Deathspell Omega, Hacride (the last three groups are probably not to your taste, Paxi).

I am aware of some of those bands (Adagio, Lazuli, Gojira) and there are parts I like. Both Gojira and Adagio were among a few metal bands I tried when I started listening to Prog, back in 2005. Got them from a teacher and I think a class mate too. Of course, at that time there were a lot of other bands that are better suited to be your first metal experience. ;)

Re Austria, it's mainly Deadsoul Tribe - but they sure are super  *horns*

Don't know them well enough to really comment on this, but Devon Graves has a very nice voice. Loved him on "The Human Equation" by Ayreon. I remember listening to the album "Devil's Lullaby" and liking it. Should check this out again.

To me, the 80´s were the somewhat stale period. 1965-1980 and 1990 onwards were/are great.

Yeah, that seems about right. Late 80's and early 90's were an absolute low point. From (roughly) 1995 (birth of Arena, Flower Kings and Spock's Beard) onward, Prog was on the rise again. And now 2010's Prog is at it's best since 1975. I guess it will never become mainstream genre again, but to me that's not the most important.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2013-07-23, 00:11:52
I don't know. I kinda like stuff like Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli.

I was thinking of the metal operatic stuff. It's as bad as Nightwish and all that cr**

Gimmee some fully fledged rock and metal, and not somethin that harks (too much) back to classical music  ;)

Check out Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM), Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Le Orme, Il Bacio Della Medusa, La Maschera Di Cera, Hostsonaten, The Watch, NoSound.

I actually have tried out some of those groups ... but sure, I could give'm another run or two. Thanx, Paxi  :)

Don't know them well enough to really comment on this, but Devon Graves has a very nice voice. Loved him on "The Human Equation" by Ayreon. I remember listening to the album "Devil's Lullaby" and liking it. Should check this out again.

The Shadow Theory's "Behind the Black Veil" is also super. Psychotic Waltz too. Everything this guy does turns to gold, he's genius  *horns*

Yeah, that seems about right.

Metallica released Master of Puppets in 1986, and Priest Painkiller in 1990. Rock was on a roll again  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

I'm afraid that this is unfamiliar territory.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Clepsydra is pure Neo-Prog. Think Fish-era Marillion, Pendragon, Collage, and indeed Arena.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QmuxesG730

funkster

Is it just me or does the name sound like a STD ? 

PH

Quote from: funkster on Wed, 2013-07-24, 15:37:11
Is it just me or does the name sound like a STD ? 

;D Actually, you're right.

"Popular Rock band 'Chlamydia' will release their new album 'Gonorrhea' on the 'Syphilis' label. Their hit single 'Herpes' was already a big succes! 'Gonorrhea' was preceded by the album 'Not Safe'."

maddox

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2013-07-24, 23:09:35
;D Actually, you're right.

"Popular Rock band 'Chlamydia' will release their new album 'Gonorrhea' on the 'Syphilis' label. Their hit single 'Herpes' was already a big succes! 'Gonorrhea' was preceded by the album 'Not Safe'."

The choirs on Not Safe are done by the famous Dutch Voor het zingen de kerk uit-choir.

Lame, I know. ;)

PH

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2013-07-24, 01:04:53
I'm afraid that this is unfamiliar territory.  ;)

Mad, Metallica are a heavy metal band that started in the early 80's. "Heavy metal" is a prophylactic for very crazy people - like you and me.

Judas Priest were the band that took the baton from Zep (more than Sabbath imo) and developed metal fully ... and then Metallica took over ... and now we got even more crazier stuff like Outworld  ;D

:P

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2013-07-25, 00:04:01
Voor het zingen de kerk uit-choir.

That sounds like an STD to me  :D

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2013-07-25, 11:00:57
Mad, Metallica are a heavy metal band that started in the early 80's. "Heavy metal" is a prophylactic for very crazy people - like you and me.

Weird.
I always thought they were a thrash metal band.  :P
You know, like Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus and Anthrax, the other bay-area icons. ;)

QuoteJudas Priest were the band that took the baton from Zep (more than Sabbath imo) and developed metal fully ... and then Metallica took over ... and now we got even more crazier stuff like Outworld  ;D

No.
Judas Priest is a heavy metal band.
Black Sabbath the ground layer of the doom-scene.
Zep is plain and ordinary rock, who took their credits as well as some riffs/tunes from bands or artists from the fifties and before the fifties.
I could provide you with at least three youtube-vids where you can be shocked as well as amazed.
To be honest, after I saw those vids, it shocked me as well... :-X

QuoteThat sounds like an STD to me  :D

- Nicky

Well, if you go voor het zingen de kerk uit, than that means that it's unsafe already so yeah; you could risk a STD.  :P

But we were talking about chlamydia eh ... Clepsydra.

And that ladies and gentlemen, even though I'm know of their existence and a few of my friends label them as pretty good neo-prog, which I already knew that that's the game they play, is unfamiliar territory for me.

Never heard a single tune.
And considering that lately I'm a bit neo-prog-tired, I'd like to keep it that way. ;)
For the time being that is.  8)

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2013-07-25, 12:07:51
But we were talking about chlamydia eh ... Clepsydra.

You'r right, Mad. Guess the church is not the right place to get one  ;D

Just wanna give Zep some more credit: If you had been young in 1969-70 (I was 14-15), you too would have gone totally bananas upon hearing Zep I & II. Man, this was totally new - overwhelming  *horns*

Aint that so, Jonesey ?

Zep just made rock sooo much heavier. Without Zep, no Priest, Metallica etc - it's as simple as that, Mad  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can