News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Album title game

Started by Steve Jones, Fri, 2009-04-10, 08:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2009-06-19, 18:19:44
The only PG that I've still only got on vinyl.

I actually don't own the later PG solos *at all*, which is pretty shocking given I'm a complete fanatic about his earlier stuff.  The first four (and Plays Live, which is almost totally songs from those four) are stellar stuff IMO. So had a few real winners and some stuff that I found disappointing.  I don't actually recall if I purchased Us.  I have nothing after that at all (this from someone who was willing to suffer the indignity of owning the Against All Odds soundtrack just to have a copy of PG's "Walk Through the Fire") as he seemed to have gone totally off on some sort of world beat/ambient tangent, which was not of interest to me.  If I missed some important later albums, by all means, please clue me in.

Don't Tell a Soul - The Replacements
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-06-19, 19:07:04
If I missed some important later albums, by all means, please clue me in.

Well, it seems I've only got Us, Up and Secret World Live that you've not got - I've not gone for things like soundtracks or 'Blue Ball'.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the ones I've not bothered with, indeed I've not heard them, but in a world of far too much music to ever listen to they're low priorities for me.

Us and Up I like very much and I wouldn't have said there was anything 'world' or 'ambient' about them in the foreground, just as textures behind PG working in pretty much familiar territory for me.  Trust me, I'll run a mile to avoid anything 'world' and his mainstream albums don't get me heading for the horizon.  Gabriel has always thrown different things into the melting pot and I'd say the (excellent) barbershop bit on the first album sticks out more than anything on the later stuff.

It's a personal thing, I know, but next to 'Plays Live' it's the fourth album that I find least appealing of all.  Not much wrong with the music, but I don't care for the stark and empty sound quality.

Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2009-06-19, 20:44:46
Well, it seems I've only got Us, Up and Secret World Live that you've not got - I've not gone for things like soundtracks or 'Blue Ball'.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the ones I've not bothered with, indeed I've not heard them, but in a world of far too much music to ever listen to they're low priorities for me.

Us and Up I like very much and I wouldn't have said there was anything 'world' or 'ambient' about them in the foreground, just as textures behind PG working in pretty much familiar territory for me.  Trust me, I'll run a mile to avoid anything 'world' and his mainstream albums don't get me heading for the horizon.  Gabriel has always thrown different things into the melting pot and I'd say the (excellent) barbershop bit on the first album sticks out more than anything on the later stuff.

It's a personal thing, I know, but next to 'Plays Live' it's the fourth album that I find least appealing of all.  Not much wrong with the music, but I don't care for the stark and empty sound quality.

Interesting indeed.  While "world music" ain't my cuppa, I very much liked what PG did with African-like percussion on his 4th.  It is indeed a personal thing since I consider his 4th (as well as his 3rd) to be up in the stratosphere of albums along with the likes of Deadwing.  On the following albums, it seemed to me that he either lost some subtlety or whimsy or some quality, whatever it is, that made his music really resonate with me.  Maybe I'm just an elitist snob and didn't think MTV-viewers were worthy of sharing him with me.   ;D

Pictures at an Exhibition - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-06-19, 21:12:10
Maybe I'm just an elitist snob and didn't think MTV-viewers were worthy of sharing him with me.   ;D

That's spooky.  I originally wrote something along the lines of the key evolution to me seemed to be the MTV-friendliness of the obvious singles rather than any world or ambient leanings, but replaced it with the barbershop bit as I didn't want to appear an elitist snob ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, I guess with someone so visual over the years, MTV was always going to be a given.

Pictures at Eleven - Robert Plant
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2009-06-19, 21:20:56
That's spooky.  I originally wrote something along the lines of the key evolution to me seemed to be the MTV-friendliness of the obvious singles rather than any world or ambient leanings, but replaced it with the barbershop bit as I didn't want to appear an elitist snob ;D ;D ;D

Just remember, being an elitist snob is good clean fun as long as you're expressing your elitism to others you consider "us" as opposed to those you consider "the ignorant peasants."   ;D   For the record, I love the barbershop (I assume you mean 'Excuse Me') on album one.   I think of that as him being playful rather than an abandonment of his prog deity duties.  If you hadn't noticed, I'm a big fan of playful -- otherwise there's no way I could be such a big Devinhead.  As Will Smith once described Matt Damon after they worked on a film together, "He's a very silly boy."

Moving Pictures - Rush

Steve Jones

Moving Waves - Focus
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Permanent Waves [ Rush ]  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Manatee

Permanent Vacation - Aerosmith

Steve Jones

Plugged in Permanent - Anvil
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

MTV Unplugged In New York [ Nirvana ]  ;)

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

New York Dolls - New York Dolls

Teunis

Under A New Sign - Knight Area
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Steve Jones

New England - Wishbone Ash
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Selling England by the Pound - Genesis

Steve Jones

Once Upon A Time In England Vol 1 - Pendragon
Regards, Steve Jones

Teunis

Another Lifetime - Simon Phillips

Steve Jones

Silence of Another Kind - Paatos
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Another 700 Miles [ 3 Doors Down ]

Steve Jones

More Miles Per Hour - John Miles
Regards, Steve Jones

Teunis

One More Twist - John Watts

Steve Jones

Ten More Turnips From The Tip - Ian Dury
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2009-06-20, 22:59:09
Another Lifetime - Simon Phillips

Nice album  ;)

Turn Back - Toto  8)

Steve Jones

Turn of the Cards - Renaissance
Regards, Steve Jones

Teunis

Turn Of A Friendly Card - Alan Parsons Project