News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

aswas

Thanks Nicky, I ordered them today. In your opinion, what is another band of the same type, like Arena, with the keyboards, offbeats etc. I read many that you guys have bought that I have never heard of, and I am on limited funds. I love Arena, and IQ, but want to add. Any helpful hints. Aswas
don't fly... too close to the sun

Nicky007

OK, Aswas, these are the sorta discussions that I love (and miss in the Room).

IQ have never really gripped me, so I can't help out with that  :-\

Groups that to my mind are close to Arena are:

First of all: Caamora, album Caamora She. This is a major side project of Clive's, and he has written all the lyrics, composed the music, plays keys (surprising, eh?), and even sings, along with other fine singers:  Agnieszka Swita, Alan Reed (until recently, the singer of Pallas), and Christina Booth (Magenta). "She" is a concept album, the story closely following H. Rider Haggard's novel "She", but with a lotta additional philosophical reflections by Clive. The music is alternately recitative and melodic. Caamora She is an absolute must for Arena fans.

Ten and Gary Hughes, best albums, in prioritised order imo: The Twilight Chronicles, Once And Future King, The Essential Collection, Babylon, Return To Evermore.

Except for Bupie, Roomies have never given Ten and GH a proper chance, altho to my mind they'r the closest to Clive & Co. re music and lyrics.

The keyboards are more in the background than Clive's, more atmospheric, the lyrics mythological and philosophical (as Arena's), great guitarplaying, more experimental than John's (Chris is younger and less settled than John), and Gary is one of the most expressive singers around, has a more "feeling" voice than Rob, who is more dramatic.

Then there's Lana Lane & Erik Nordentoft. As with Arena, the keyboards very much upfront. Lana is currently my fave woman singer. She sings with power, fervor, beauty and precision. The music is melodic and dramatic, the lyrics mythological (like Arena), and poetic, with a strong female coloring - very sensual - due to Lana. Their best album, in both my and Teunis' opinion, is The Secrets Of Astrology. Further, Lady Macbeth is great too.

Another L.A. group: Eleven (all these number groups). They'r more experimental and odd than the aforementioned groups, but also have the atmosphere and shifting moods of the others. Great singing, equal male and female vocals, and surprising and cranky instrumental bits creeping in and out of the music. Best albums imo: Howling Book, Avantgardedog, Thunk.

I guess that also Phideaux should be mentioned here, but I'l leave the description to Roomies who know'm better than I do.

Hope this helps ya, Aswas  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2010-02-19, 12:14:42
Then there's Lana Lane & Erik Nordentoft.
Don't know that guy Nicky  :D.

I agree with Nicky on the Caamora stuff  8). IQ is one of my favourite prog bands, their latest release 'Frequency' is great. Too bad IQ don't update their MySpace, otherwise you could hear some of their latest tracks. Maybe Clive's other bands Pendragon (MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/toffrecords) or Shadowland (http://www.myspace.com/shadowlanduk) are interesting for you. From my own country I would recommend Knight Area (http://www.myspace.com/knightarea), also in the vain of IQ and Arena with lots of keyboard- and guitarsolos. Good luck checking it out!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Bupie

Considering your description "keyboards, offbeats ..." and your love for symphonic prog, I think you can't go wrong trying Magenta, especially their LP's Revolutions, Seven (my personal fave) and Metamorphosis.

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Manatee

Just Arrived:

The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

aswas

Nicky,(and all)

Thanks for the great feedback. That gives me a great start to check out. What about Shadowlands? Thanks again. I have many questions and I will dump them on you Nicky if ya don't mind. Man I hadn't heard of any of them except for Clive's.  Thanks again ASWAS

aswas

Thanks Teunis and Bupie. I will check them out too. Marillion is ok , I have a few, but it is a hit and miss with them. Plus it is not quite the adreneline rush that I get from other prog

Nicky007

It's a new month, and I got a bit of change left over after having paid the bills, so I purchased:

PT:  The Incident
Trivium:  Shogun
Judas Priest:  Demolition & Jugulator

Got three of'm for under ½-price.

Shogun & Demolition I'v already spun several times, Jugulator once (all three great), and the first on my cd-player this eve will be The Incident  *horns*

So got some great music for the coming days  8)

Aswas, try Fish's soloalbums (from after his time with Marillion)  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

aswas

Thanks Nicky, I ordered  She today. I do have Fishs' DVD Return to Misplaced Childhood. He is one tall dude. I will check it out. Thanks Aswas

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2010-02-11, 22:19:24
I just ordered the following DVD's from Ytsejam Records:

- Dream Theater - Santiago, Chile 12/6/05
- Liquid Tension Experiment - Live In LA

Tom

For anyone who's interested: I've got 'em! :D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2010-03-02, 17:10:09
It's a new month, and I got a bit of change left over after having paid the bills, so I purchased:

PT:  The Incident

And.......do you like it? :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

aswas

This weekend I will be doing some homework on all the bands that everyone chimed in on. Maybe I'll get lucky and hear some samples. Thanks again everyone. I did order Live and Life a few days ago from Verglas. It's already on its way. "Pride" was delivered last week. Wow, what a difference in singers. It is totally different than the first cd, but I like it. I ordered "Ever" twice from Amazon, from 2 different stores, and each had to cancel order due to incorrect inventory. SO, I did my first order through IQ website. Hope it goes OK. Next back to Verglas to order Breakfast in Barritz(spelled wrong) and Welcome to the Stage. Any comments? Do they sound OK. See ya

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2010-03-04, 08:37:19
And.......do you like it? :)

Super  *horns*

I was really looking forward to listening to it.

I'v been on a real heavy course for teachers this week, which will last March thru, and The Incident has some heavy competition (Priest & Trivium), but now Incident is really longin to be played, and I'l give it some spins during the weekend.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Well , what else could i order for the bargain price of £8.99 for the 2cd limited edition fancy pack but

Nostradamus by Nicky Priest  ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Mon, 2010-03-08, 16:56:49
Nostradamus by Nicky Priest  ;)

8) Funkster

And I got me Glenn Tipton's Baptizm Of Fire.

I of course got it cuz it's one of Glenn's masterpieces, but additionally in the mix are guys with the names of:  Robert Trujillo, John Entwistle, Cozy Powell, Don Airey, and Billy Sheehan - should ring bells dingeling  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Just ordered Royal Hunt's Paradox after reading a lot of rave reviews on this album.

Never heard a single note of it so I don't know what to expect but I read that it's in the vein of Shadow Gallery with less prog elements.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2010-04-01, 11:54:59
Just ordered Royal Hunt's Paradox after reading a lot of rave reviews on this album.

Yeah, I'd also like to hear more of Royal Hunt, got'm on my SL  8)

From Wiki, André Andersen: "André Andersen (born December 16, 1961) is a Russia-born multi-instrumentalist and composer best known as the keyboardist and founder of the Denmark-based progressive metal band Royal Hunt. He claims to be of mixed Danish and Georgian royal blood.

Born in Moscow, Andersen started playing piano at the age of 5. He moved to Denmark in 1984 and founded Royal Hunt in 1991. Andersen cites Mozart, Paganini, Rick Wakeman and Jon Lord as his principal influences. Currently, he also writes lyrics, composes and produces for the band, and has also released several solo works."

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

aswas

Nicky I ordered a 2 Pallas cd's today after listening to samples. They sounded pretty cool. Se ya Thanks ASWAS

maddox

Today I've paid a visit to the local music store.
3 cd's for 25 euro's and a new album, that's my catch.

Three for 25:

1 Shadow Gallery - Tyranny ( I was actually surprised that they've had it over there but since the version that I own had some scratches and was a bit damaged ...)
1 Supertramp - Breakfast in America ( the version I own is ... on vinyl. I really needed to upgrade that one.  ;))
1 Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid (heard lots of good things about it, I just wanted to know what all the fuzz is/was about.)

And...

The New album:

Coheed & Cambria ~ Year Of the Black Rainbow
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

aswas

Nicky

I am going to spend tomorrow looking up all the cd's and bands that you listed above to see if I can find samples of what they sound like. I am ready to expand a little on bands that sound in the same vein as Arena. Thanks. Pallas is awesome. Have 2. I did have to order DVD of Testimony by Neal Morse again. Scratched and worn to hell. Have a great one

Iggy

Bigelf - Cheat the Gallows which after a few listens seems seems very promising

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2010-04-11, 01:37:53
Coheed & Cambria ~ Year Of the Black Rainbow

I didn't know you liked Coheed! Great! Truly one of my favourite bands these days. *horns*

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2010-04-13, 08:30:38
Bigelf - Cheat the Gallows which after a few listens seems seems very promising

Another superb 'new' band! Saw them last October on Progressive Nation (together with Dream Theater, Opeth and Unexpect) and they were very impressive. Great charismatic frontman as well.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Arena - Live and Life   8)
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Draco chimera

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2010-04-20, 18:42:48
Just Arrived:

Arena - Live and Life   8)
Great ! You shall enjoy this one.  ;)
I bought The Steve Miller's Band's Greatest Hits triple CD set for only 10 bucks in the US. There can be some really nice prices in the USA when it comes to music.  :)
Let your conscience decide !

Teunis

Ordered two lp's cd's this week:
Antimatter - Leaving Eden
Asia - Omega

The latter one is on its way to me. I've heard one minute soundbytes of all the tracks, which made me buy it  ::).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)