News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Arena in Trondheim, Norway

Started by elisabeta, Sun, 2005-10-02, 10:30:01

Previous topic - Next topic

elisabeta

Hello everyone  ;)

This was my first meeting with Arena ever, and damn! Impressive!
I saw them the night after Dream Theater so i didn't really have any hopes for the show, but from the second the band came out on stage i was blown away. Very good musicians, great music, great show, a very nice bunch of guys.
I imediately ran over to buy Pepper's Ghost after the show :)

A big thank you to the guys for giving us such a great prog show!  *ola*

Peter

Quote from: elisabeta on Sun, 2005-10-02, 10:30:01
Hello everyone  ;)

This was my first meeting with Arena ever, and damn! Impressive!
I saw them the night after Dream Theater so i didn't really have any hopes for the show, but from the second the band came out on stage i was blown away. Very good musicians, great music, great show, a very nice bunch of guys.
I imediately ran over to buy Pepper's Ghost after the show :)

A big thank you to the guys for giving us such a great prog show!  *ola*

Glad you liked it :) Definitely got to get the rest of the albums, too!
Come back to tell us how you like them.

Cheers,
Peter.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: elisabeta on Sun, 2005-10-02, 10:30:01
I saw them the night after Dream Theater...

And how was DT? I'm going to see them in just a week! 8)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2005-10-02, 15:23:08
And how was DT? I'm going to see them in just a week! 8)

Tom

But we will have something they didn't have... ;D ;D ;D

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

elisabeta

@Peter: Oh, i will! Any special one you can recommend? :)

@The Butterfly Man: DT was brilliant! Portnoy, Rudess, Myung and Petrucci were nearly flawless as usual, and LaBrie was better than ever i think.. he's made an amazing progress the last years  :o
There are a couple of pics, setlist under one of the pics, and a little more about the concert here ---> elisabeta.deviantart.com if you're interested

Peter

Quote from: elisabeta on Sun, 2005-10-02, 16:11:52
@Peter: Oh, i will! Any special one you can recommend? :)

hmm, I prefer the "younger" albums, so Contagion/us/um, Immortal and The Visitor should be your next buys :) Other people here will tell you differently, though :D

Quote@The Butterfly Man: DT was brilliant! Portnoy, Rudess, Myung and Petrucci were nearly flawless as usual, and LaBrie was better than ever i think.. he's made an amazing progress the last years  :o
There are a couple of pics, setlist under one of the pics, and a little more about the concert here ---> elisabeta.deviantart.com if you're interested

We are, be assured. I will see them on the 21st in Stuttgart, looking forward very much. But first: 08.10. here in Karlsruhe: ARENA :P
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

elisabeta

Oww, i envy you! Last time they were here was in 1998 i think, so with this rate they should be back in 2012 or something  :P

So does the singer always use the wig and hat?  :D

cabo

i was also in Trondheim for the concert. Great performance, good sound, not impressed by the lights.... and a nice gesture to sign our cd's afterwords. One thing though: Both Clive and Ian lost their lenses during the concert, maybe superglue next time?  ;)

elisabeta

Lol!
"We're having a bit of a technical problem... it's called Clive's lost a lens"  ;D

I too wish the lights would have been better. I suppose they don't bring their own light-guy (don't remember the word)?
Buh, you got your album signed? Had to leave before they came back out. Would have been great to meet with them, and gotten the signatures.

cabo

Yeah, i have autographs from all bandmembers on "The Visitor".  ;D

Patrik

Hi.
What about the attendance at Trondheim (and elsewhere on the tour)? I went to see Arena at "Klubben" in Stockholm and the "crowd" did not exceed 50 people! The music of Arena deserves a larger audience than that! What about the promotion? I happened to see an ad in a rock magazine by pure chance (I wasn´t familiar with this site at the time) but I found nothing in the local press.

I appreciated the concert itself though. I don't want to make any comparisions with the Dream Theatre concert which I attendet a couple of days earlier, but Arena is undoubtedly a very competent live band and Sowden a great performer (in that sense superior to James LaBrie).

However the chat with the audience was somewhat ... silly (perhaps the small attendance had some effect?) and didn´t quite tally with the seriousness (and often darkness) of the songs. Self-distance is sound, but hey...

JJ II

Hi Patrick,

What did they play?? Please add the setlist to the thread "10th anniversary setlist"

Progster

Hello.

I was at the Arena gig in Trondheim, Norway, and it was great!
It was the first time I've seen the band live, and they all did a terrific job!

To be honest, especially John Mitchell made a major impression on me.
His way of playing the guitar is excellent. His sound is superb, and his solos are both intelligent and interesting to listen to. :o
I'm also a fan of his band KINO and their debut cd "Picture", which is my nr.1 record this year!
I'm looking forward to be present at KINO's gig in London at the Borderline on the 16th of December!  :)

Arena really did a tremendous job in Trondheim and I noticed that the crowd was very satesfied.

The guys in the band was very friendly. I appreciate that they came out and signed the CD's and DVD's and had a chat with us.
We,my friends and I, also had a picture taken with Arena. This picture and some others from the concert can be seen on this address:
http://www.rprk.net/DT_og_Arena   
The pictures is not of the best quality, but they're ok. Please have a look.  ;)

Unfortunately the text is in Norwegian only, but I think you understand the meaning of it after all.

We also went to Oslo Spektrum to see Dream Theater the day before Arena.
DT was awesome, but I had a better time in Trondheim seeing Arena Live!

DT are perfectionists, that's ok, but Arena's music appeals more to me.

I want to thank Arena for giving us a perfect performance in Trondheim. I will definitively be present the next time the band plays in Norway.
It's a shame that it wasn't more than 177 people at the venue. The band deserves bigger crowds than this!
I understand that at "Klubben" in Stockholm the "crowd" did not exceed 50 people! I agree with Patrik that the music of Arena deserves a larger audience than that!

I'm writing these words listening to "Pepper's Ghost" bringing me good memories from an excellent and successful evening together with Arena.

Thank you guys, and good luck on your tour.

Best regards,
Progster

Patrik

Quote from: Progster on Tue, 2005-10-04, 21:41:13
We,my friends and I, also had a picture taken with Arena. This picture and some others from the concert can be seen on this address:
http://www.rprk.net/DT_og_Arena   
The pictures is not of the best quality, but they're ok. Please have a look.  ;)

Hi fellow Scandinavian! RPRK is a really cool web site (and the pics from the Arena gig are great as well).
How is the climate for progressiv rock in Norway?

Spad

Quote from: elisabeta on Sun, 2005-10-02, 16:11:52

... sorry elisabeta... but I wasn't able to find the setlist even I look (I think) at all the pics..... as I'll also be going to theri gig here in Italy, I'm very interested in knowing something more about the setlist.... can you please give me a more precise link? Or... you can post it in the "Other band / music" tread....  :D

Thanks for your help...

Spad.
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Progster

Hi Patrik.

Nice to hear that you liked our webside.
We are six friends celebrating old and new prog.
We meet up from time to time and tries to find out what's released of new, good progressive music.
A lot of creative young musicians have developed prog music into a new dimension the last years,i.m.h.o.
I often impressed by how clever many of these musicians are.

Having said that, it goes for some of the Norwegian prog-bands too.
Pagans Mind,Circus Maximus,Jørn Lande just to mention a few are outstanding and great artists.
We are having Circus Maximus as our guests here at our club saturday 8th. of October.
I'm really looking forward to that.
Please visit them on their website: http://www.circusmaximussite.com/
I can recommend them if you are into bands like Dream Theater,Queensryche  and Symphony X.   

Patrik

I will certainly check Circus Maximus out. Thanks for the tip, Progster.
I really like Jorn Lande and Masterplan by the way, though maybe I wouldn't categorize him as prog.
It's good to hear that it's not just Black Metal on the Norwegian rock scene :)

elisabeta

Quote from: Spad on Wed, 2005-10-05, 14:42:32
... sorry elisabeta... but I wasn't able to find the setlist even I look (I think) at all the pics..... as I'll also be going to theri gig here in Italy, I'm very interested in knowing something more about the setlist.... can you please give me a more precise link? Or... you can post it in the "Other band / music" tread....  :D

Thanks for your help...

Spad.

Here it is ;)

The Root of All Evil
Panic Attack
Another Won
A Fortune in Lies
Under a Glass Moon
Caught In A Web
Peruvian Skies
Home
About To Crash
Grand Finale

~Pause~

As I Am
Endless Sacrifice
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

~Encore~

The Spirit Carries On
Pull me under/Metropolis Pt.1/Crimson Sunset-medly

Some people thought it was too heavy, but to my mind it kicked butt live.
Hope you'll have a great time at the concert :)

Spad

Quote from: elisabeta on Wed, 2005-10-05, 22:51:48
Here it is ;)

The Root of All Evil
Panic Attack
Another Won
A Fortune in Lies
Under a Glass Moon
Caught In A Web
Peruvian Skies
Home
About To Crash
Grand Finale

~Pause~

As I Am
Endless Sacrifice
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

~Encore~

The Spirit Carries On
Pull me under/Metropolis Pt.1/Crimson Sunset-medly

Some people thought it was too heavy, but to my mind it kicked butt live.
Hope you'll have a great time at the concert :)

Thank you!  :D  :D You're very kind... I also would have preferred some more from Images for example... instead of Caught In A Web, Peruvian Skies or even Under A Glass wich is really not my fav from Images..... but it still looks like a great show!!! So I don't think I'll get bored at all!!!!  ;D  ;D
Especially it'll be a great occasion to listen to Octavarium live wich missed at the summer tour.....

Just a question about the set-list? What's "Another Won"??? I think I've never heard it.....  ???  ???

Bye.
Spad.

elisabeta

Ahah, it's my pleasure  ;)
Another Won was a song i'd never heard before either because it's from the Majesty demo's.. never did listen much to Majesty, just the songs they still do like A fortune in lies and Ytse Jam.
About the setlist.. You know, they do change it every night, so there's a big chance you'll get to hear different songs from the albums  :)

Spad

Quote from: elisabeta on Fri, 2005-10-07, 20:23:33
[...]
Another Won was a song i'd never heard before either because it's from the Majesty demo's.. never did listen much to Majesty, just the songs they still do like A fortune in lies and Ytse Jam.
[...]

YYEEAAAHHHH! It's very cool, very old material!! But you have to forgive my ignorance but.... Majesty is the name they had before changing it in Dream Theater, isn't it???
So, tell me, I'm very curious.... how does Another Won sound???  :D  :D I like very much their first release, When Dream..... so I hope to listen to it too!!!

I'll post the setlist after the gig to make comparison with your's.....  ;)

Bye bye.
Spad.

elisabeta

Quote from: Spad on Fri, 2005-10-07, 22:00:33

So, tell me, I'm very curious.... how does Another Won sound??? 

I don't remember!  :D :D
They did Under a glass moon right after, and then everything else was forgotten  :-\
You're right about Majesty, they gave out one album with that name and with a different singer.. i think that's some of  the reason why i haven't listened much to it.

Looking forward to the setlist! Where are you seeing them again? :)

Spad

Quote from: elisabeta on Sat, 2005-10-08, 19:16:34

Looking forward to the setlist! Where are you seeing them again? :)

I'm going to see them October, 29th in Milan (Italy). I'll post for sure the setlist, I like very much write down on my phone each track as they start to play it!!!!

Stay tuned......  :D  ;)