News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Favourite gigs and related memories

Started by Steve Jones, Thu, 2009-05-07, 19:05:53

Previous topic - Next topic

aswas

that is awesome. I did get Ricks Autograph when he played his one man show back in 2000. He played at the Florida Theater in front of about maybe 500 people.  Being the professional that he is, not only did he give it his all during the show, but actually came out after the concert to meet and sign autographs. I shook his hand. He is my mentor as I play keys also, and he has had alot of influence in my style of playing. I also learned how to play with my eyes closed over the years, as he typically does. Hammersmith, that must have been great.
don't fly... too close to the sun

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

aswas

this tells my age but a cool concert was in Jax Fl in 1971 or whatever. The bands, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, and Ted Nugent. That brings back memories; all the black capes, makeup, it was a trip. The place was packed(10500). Wow I know. Hard to picture Jax as a place where someone would come to a concert. jax used to draw during the 70's 80's. Michael Jackson actually performed here. He was given the keys to the city.

Steve Jones

Quote from: aswas on Sat, 2009-07-25, 19:14:57
Michael Jackson actually performed here. He was given the keys to the city.

You might want to get them back now ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

aswas

kmorse

Pink Floyd on the second stop of their North American DSOTM tour in 1973. My first concert ever.

1982, got to see Steve Hackett and got to meet him backstage. I also got to interview him on the phone. He was friendlier on the phone than in person, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that he might have been quite fatigued after the show. That's hard work.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Manatee

Ok, since this topic has been revived, and I'm feeling silly, I'll share this one:

10,000 Maniacs at a little club in West Philly.  They ain't prog, but they were quirky and fun and put on a good show.  This mostly falls under the heading of "related memories" though.  This was when I had my first real job, which was in Philadelphia.  My company had its annual holiday party that day, which involved us taking a private bus up to NYC, where we met up with our NY area offices with whom we worked.  The job sucked, but it had a lot of fun young people there, so socially it was pretty good.  Anyway, someone brought a few cases of beer for the ride north.  Then the actual party was on a boat that circled Manhattan.  This party was later referred to as "the booze cruise."  On the ride back to Philly, we finished the remaining beer.  So anyway, being young and bulletproof, when my friend invited me to go to this show, I said sure even though I knew I was going to have a helluva long day before it.   I got off the bus, rather intoxicated to say the least, and walked through a semi-dangerous part of Philly in a business suit to meet my friend at an Indian restaurant near the club.  It turned out that my friend had contrived to introduce me to a girl she thought I might hit it off with, who was there at the restaurant.  Needless to say, I was unaware of this, and as previously mentioned, drunk.  While we were sitting there, I was idly fiddling with my friend's cigarette lighter and accidentally set fire to the bread basket on the table.  When later asked how she liked me, this girl is alleged to have said, "You mean the pyromaniac?"
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-08-15, 00:46:17
Ok, since this topic has been revived, and I'm feeling silly, I'll share this one:

10,000 Maniacs at a little club in West Philly.  They ain't prog, but they were quirky and fun and put on a good show.  This mostly falls under the heading of "related memories" though.  This was when I had my first real job, which was in Philadelphia.  My company had its annual holiday party that day, which involved us taking a private bus up to NYC, where we met up with our NY area offices with whom we worked.  The job sucked, but it had a lot of fun young people there, so socially it was pretty good.  Anyway, someone brought a few cases of beer for the ride north.  Then the actual party was on a boat that circled Manhattan.  This party was later referred to as "the booze cruise."  On the ride back to Philly, we finished the remaining beer.  So anyway, being young and bulletproof, when my friend invited me to go to this show, I said sure even though I knew I was going to have a helluva long day before it.   I got off the bus, rather intoxicated to say the least, and walked through a semi-dangerous part of Philly in a business suit to meet my friend at an Indian restaurant near the club.  It turned out that my friend had contrived to introduce me to a girl she thought I might hit it off with, who was there at the restaurant.  Needless to say, I was unaware of this, and as previously mentioned, drunk.  While we were sitting there, I was idly fiddling with my friend's cigarette lighter and accidentally set fire to the bread basket on the table.  When later asked how she liked me, this girl is alleged to have said, "You mean the pyromaniac?"

;D  Good story

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-08-15, 00:46:17
10,000 Maniacs at a little club in West Philly ... "You mean the pyromaniac?"

Good that there werent 10,000 of'm  ;D

You never told me that you were so dissolute in your youth, Greenie  :o

No wonder you'r talentless  ;D

She was probably waiting for you to fiddle with somethin else than the lighter (maybe somethin heavier:D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me