News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Igg Music

Started by Iggy, Sun, 2008-04-20, 14:02:54

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2008-07-11, 08:52:57
No I am not a big fan of Helloween but having listened to Avantasia one of my mates suggested Keeper of the seven keys. So I gave it a bash and quite enjoy it.

Which one did you listen too?

Prt I, Prt II or Prt III?

Personally i think that the latter has very nice songs, like Occasional Avenue but to be honest: A Keeper Of The Seven Keys album without Michael Kistke is no KOTSK album in my book.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-07-11, 18:27:44
Which one did you listen too?

Prt I, Prt II or Prt III?

Personally i think that the latter has very nice songs, like Occasional Avenue but to be honest: A Keeper Of The Seven Keys album without Michael Kistke is no KOTSK album in my book.

I like pts 1 and 2 don't have any of their other stuff

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2008-07-11, 22:28:48
I like pts 1 and 2 don't have any of their other stuff

Then you probably have the best work anyway.  :D

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-07-11, 22:39:42

That is what my mate said.

I got him into avantasia and he was shocked at how like Heloween it was.

Deenfan

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-07-11, 22:39:42

Not necessarily. That will have to be a taste issue. Helloween is starting to get recognized for continuing to deliver the goods through decades, and not lose momentum the way so many old bands seem to do. I, for one, think they have one of the longest streaks of great albums any band has ever mustered. Granted, the Keeper albums were special, no doubt about it. But I can't help thinking that some of the glory is just that, a glory. Not very tangible and who knows how real, but there is an aura/shine... maybe it's magic, and then it's just fantastic, of course. But it is part illusion?

Newer albums may not get that mood-boost to their aura, partly because you're not 16 any more, and it takes a lot more to impress you. Looking back, it seems all albums were a bit more magic back then, when one felt so strongly about everything.

Helloween started losing the plot after the Keeper albums. I don't mind a lot, but the general feeling is that Pink bubbles... was a plunge, and Chameleon was horrible. But after that, we have... let me see... Master of the rings, The time of the oath, Better than raw, The dark ride, Rabbit don't come easy, Keeper...The legacy, and Gambling with the devil. All are consistently great, approaching or even transcending brilliant. That's seven in a row, with rock solid song writing on display, even if some individual songs might divide the fans into different camps. I don't know if I have any other band in my collection I can say that about.

I once played the original Keeper albums to a Stratovarius fan. (Strato being one of the most blatant copyists of the Keeper albums). He didn't like them at all, and thought they sounded weak and dated. Go figure.

Iggy

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2008-07-12, 00:16:34
Not necessarily. That will have to be a taste issue. Helloween is starting to get recognized for continuing to deliver the goods through decades, and not lose momentum the way so many old bands seem to do. I, for one, think they have one of the longest streaks of great albums any band has ever mustered. Granted, the Keeper albums were special, no doubt about it. But I can't help thinking that some of the glory is just that, a glory. Not very tangible and who knows how real, but there is an aura/shine... maybe it's magic, and then it's just fantastic, of course. But it is part illusion?

Newer albums may not get that mood-boost to their aura, partly because you're not 16 any more, and it takes a lot more to impress you. Looking back, it seems all albums were a bit more magic back then, when one felt so strongly about everything.

Helloween started losing the plot after the Keeper albums. I don't mind a lot, but the general feeling is that Pink bubbles... was a plunge, and Chameleon was horrible. But after that, we have... let me see... Master of the rings, The time of the oath, Better than raw, The dark ride, Rabbit don't come easy, Keeper...The legacy, and Gambling with the devil. All are consistently great, approaching or even transcending brilliant. That's seven in a row, with rock solid song writing on display, even if some individual songs might divide the fans into different camps. I don't know if I have any other band in my collection I can say that about.

I once played the original Keeper albums to a Stratovarius fan. (Strato being one of the most blatant copyists of the Keeper albums). He didn't like them at all, and thought they sounded weak and dated. Go figure.

Thanks.

I guess I will borrow them from him and buy the one's I like it's good to hear someone else's take.

Deenfan

Yes, it is. Essentially the most valuable thing you can harvest from attending a forum. I've learned so many times to check out albums I'd never given a chance because of the local general conception of it. Here and there, people would say "Hey, it's vastly underrated - to me it's the best they did" and so on. Every so often, I realize I can see why the fans the band in question did have didn't like it, but to me, coming in from a different angle, it might just as well be superior to what ever else they've done.

I will have to come back with an album by album thingy on the Helloween thread, won't I? :D

Iggy

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2008-07-12, 12:44:37
Yes, it is. Essentially the most valuable thing you can harvest from attending a forum. I've learned so many times to check out albums I'd never given a chance because of the local general conception of it. Here and there, people would say "Hey, it's vastly underrated - to me it's the best they did" and so on. Every so often, I realize I can see why the fans the band in question did have didn't like it, but to me, coming in from a different angle, it might just as well be superior to what ever else they've done.

I will have to come back with an album by album thingy on the Helloween thread, won't I? :D

Yes indeed. It would be most helpful  ;D

Iggy

Just added Savatage since I have 5 of their CD's now and a couple more on the way.

Deenfan

So... to continue our little conversation here... a SAVAVIEW would also be welcome?!

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-07-05, 00:56:47
Cool I was at the Liverpool Empire. He [Trevor Rabin] actually blew Steve Hillage away as well I think.

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-07-05, 09:25:27
Well, I wouldn't go quite that far! (Comforts his knitted Hillage Hat, currently quivering in distress)  ;)

I don't know Steve Hillage at all.  What's he like ?  Is he worth a spin nowadays ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-08-13, 22:10:09
I don't know Steve Hillage at all.  What's he like ?  Is he worth a spin nowadays ?

You always ask the question of artists that are difficult to define!  I think you do it on purpose.  ;D

Hillage is reasonably unique.  Very hippy-dippy-trippy, especially lyrically.  From the third album onwards there was a distinct jazz and funk element in the bass & drums department, although not enough to move the music into those areas.  On top of this there's his trademark guitar-heroing.  Would it fit your current heavier-than-heavy mindset? Definitely not.  But when you're not in a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mood, if you want to check it out, you might like to start with 'Motivation Radio' as a representative mid-period release.

Personally I thought he was ace back then and I still think he's ace now. *horns*  Shame he wandered off into other territories.  :(
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-08-15, 07:45:45
... you might like to start with 'Motivation Radio' as a representative mid-period release ...

Stevie, wouldnt Light In The Sky get me a more up-to-date Hillage ?

But when you're not in a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mood ...

Just to clarify:  It's not that I'm particularly hot on growl and shout, but I see'm as two of the many vocal styles in heavy metal; and whether you like'm or not, we have to accept that they're here to stay, just like cumin in oriental cooking.

My fave groups master all standard musical styles, ensuring them a wide scope in which to explore  8)

You always ask the question of artists that are difficult to define!  I think you do it on purpose.  ;D

;D Stevie. I'm just a very demanding man - ask Ms 007  ;D

No, it's just that I don't like beating around the bush - hey, what am I getting myself involved in ?  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-08-15, 16:49:41
Stevie, wouldnt Light In The Sky get me a more up-to-date Hillage ?

I hadn't thought of that, to be honest, as Best Ofs don't generally appear on my radar.  Yes, it may well be a good intro, although I wouldn't use the phrase 'up-to-date' as it includes older stuff as well.  I don't think any of the albums are a bad starting point, I just picked one in the middle because I'm lazy.  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-08-15, 19:53:46
I hadn't thought of that, to be honest, as Best Ofs don't generally appear on my radar.  Yes, it may well be a good intro, although I wouldn't use the phrase 'up-to-date' as it includes older stuff as well.  I don't think any of the albums are a bad starting point, I just picked one in the middle because I'm lazy.  ;D

Hmmmm could have sworn this was my thread.

:D

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2008-08-15, 22:21:35
Hmmmm could have sworn this was my thread.
:D

Apologies, my liege, I shall leave immediately.  Sorry about the stains on the sheets.  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

funkster

Iggy , you still going to see it Bites at the Pacific in Birkenhead ?

I may pop along myself

Iggy

Quote from: funkster on Sun, 2008-08-17, 09:32:32
Iggy , you still going to see it Bites at the Pacific in Birkenhead ?

I may pop along myself

Not sure if I will still be around bit of a cock up on the holiday front.   >:(

If I am then I will be there.

funkster

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-08-17, 22:34:00
Not sure if I will still be around bit of a cock up on the holiday front.   >:(

If I am then I will be there.

Fingers crossed then fella

The weather will hopefully be better than it is at the moment  ;)

Iggy

Quote from: funkster on Mon, 2008-08-18, 07:04:43
Fingers crossed then fella

Nah, Stuffed it up completely coming back to London on the 29th maybe next time.

Iggy

Just added Circus Maximus

Ta for the tip Nicky I really like them.

8)

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-12-06, 14:24:32
Just added Circus Maximus.
Ta for the tip Nicky I really like them.

Welcome, Iggy  :)

You should get the studio albums of Seventh Wonder too. SW are similar to CM, and just as great. SW have released three studio albums now, all excellent - aint that right, Mad ?

And particularly proggies our age should have the albums of Nevermore; they'v given a new meaning to "prog metal".

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2008-07-04, 23:46:15
... the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts ...

I guess that just like we have "new maths", we also have "new philosophy"  ;D

Maybe you'd also like to remove the first "h" in Whishbone Ash, and rectify AC/DC, Iggy  ;) :)

Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-12-06, 20:21:24

You should get the studio albums of Seventh Wonder too. SW are similar to CM, and just as great. SW have released three studio albums now, all excellent - aint that right, Mad ?

Yep, i agree Nicky.  8)
And...better lyrics too.  :D
The gem to look for is Mercy Falls. Definitely their best effort until now.  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-12-06, 20:21:24

And particularly proggies our age should have the albums of Nevermore; they'v given a new meaning to "prog metal".

I guess that just like we have "new maths", we also have "new philosophy"  ;D

Maybe you'd also like to remove the first "h" in Whishbone Ash, and rectify AC/DC, Iggy  ;) :)

Nicky

new maths new philosophy and now new spelling.   ;D

Nicky007

Right, Igly  ;D

Thanks for correcting. It's a delight for my eagle's eye. Now it's only Steve from whom you'v hacked the last t  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can