News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Paid a visit to my local record shop. I wanted to buy the Days Between Stations album 'In Extremis', but it wasn't in stock unfortunately so he ordered it for me.
I bought the Fischer Z album 'Red Skies Over Paradise' for just 7 euros. In 1981 (year of release) I bought it on vinyl, but never bought it on cd. Until now. Just played it again, wonderful stuff! Still know most of the lyrics :). Oh and I sold all my vinyl albums when the cd was introduced. Never would have expected it would come back again ;).
And I ordered the Mystery album 'Beneath The Veil Of Winter's Face'. I was so impressed by their latest releases 'One Among The Living' and 'The World Is A Game' that I had to order this one too.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

Ordered the new Knight Area EP 'Between Two Steps'. A teaser here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iudsXOHvoY.

And I'm waiting for an e-mail that the Anathema DVD 'Universal' is in stock, should be very soon 8).

PH

Today I got the following cd's through the mail (Radiant Records):

Neal Morse - "It's Not Too Late"
Neal Morse - "Get In The Boat"
Ryo Okumoto - "Coming Through"
Alan Morse - "Four O'Clock And Hysteria"

And there's more to come...

PH

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-09-19, 23:21:17
Today I got the following cd's through the mail (Radiant Records):

Neal Morse - "It's Not Too Late"
Neal Morse - "Get In The Boat"
Ryo Okumoto - "Coming Through"
Alan Morse - "Four O'Clock And Hysteria"

And there's more to come...

Well, more to come, and here it is:
Devin Townsend - Ki
Devin Townsend - Addicted
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
Devin Townsend - Ghost

Nicky007

You don't wanna extend your taste a bit, Paxi ?

I like to listen to a wide range of prog, extends ones horizons  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2013-09-25, 17:33:44
You don't wanna extend your taste a bit, Paxi ?

I like to listen to a wide range of prog, extends ones horizons  ;)

- Nicky

With these four albums I have one of the broadest horizons you can have.

But you're right sir. Your musical tastes are extremely superior! *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2013-09-25, 17:56:05
But you're right, sir. Your musical tastes are extremely superior! *horns*

Thanx for the compliment, Paxi  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2013-09-26, 12:57:38
Thanx for the compliment, Paxi  ;)

Nicky, I think the following is with your approval:

Today I bought Dream Theater's "Dream Theater". ;D :P
Of course I had to buy an Opeth album with it. I mean, c'mon! So "Deliverance" it is.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-09-26, 13:39:28
Nicky, I think the following is with your approval: ...

*horns*

My fave Opeth album is Ghost Reveries - heavy, melodic, and growly  *horns*

I saw that you have that one  8)

Dream Theater I don't need to tell you about; you know just as much as I do  :)

Wiki: In July 2012, "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory" was listed as the number one all-time progressive album by a Rolling Stone readers' poll, beating 2112 by Rush and "Close to the Edge" by Yes.

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_theater

Yup, certainly is one of'm  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2013-09-26, 13:59:57
My fave Opeth album is Ghost Reveries - heavy, melodic, and growly  *horns*

I think mine is either "Ghost Reveries" or "Blackwater Park".

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2013-09-26, 13:59:57
Dream Theater I don't need to tell you about; you know just as much as I do  :)

Wiki: In July 2012, "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory" was listed as the number one all-time progressive album by a Rolling Stone readers' poll, beating 2112 by Rush and "Close to the Edge" by Yes.

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_theater

Yup, certainly is one of'm  *horns*

Yeah, "Scenes From A Memory" is fantastic! But so is "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" and "Train Of Thought".
I dunno which one is my favourite album, but it's one of those three.
"Octavarium" was my first Dream Theater album, and I really love that album too.
For me, the next two albums ("Systematic Chaos" and "Black Clouds And Silver Linings") have a couple of great songs but overall I think it's a step back. But it's Dream Theater, so they're still high quality 8 out of 10 albums.
"A Dramatic Turn Of Events" really grew on me. Especially the longer songs are fantastic. I wrote some sort of review here in the Room and I still stand by it. You can read it here if you want...

The new one. Well, I've only listened to it one time. And what can I say? Well, it's typical Dream Theater, so no less than 8/10. Although I do understand the critics who say that DT doesn't really progress much. To me, it sounds a bit like ADTOE 2. For now.

Bupie

I am surprised that you mention ToT as one of your faves since it's the harvest and the less melodic of their albums in my book. A lot of shredding, not always inspired IMHO. Black Clouds and ADTOE I like a lot, especially because James doesn't try to hit (too) high notes : he progresses  :)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2013-09-27, 14:48:05
it's the harvest and the less melodic of their albums

It's true that it's harvest time now (late summer), but you probably mean "heaviest and least melodic", Bupie  :)

Some three years ago, I lent my Mike Oldfield Exposed cd to a young student colleague, who expressed interest. When my time there was running out, I asked him several times to return it, but that never happened. Turned out that it was in some moving crate, he didn't know which. Still haven't gotten it back  ::)

A year ago I decided to order a new one, but it turned out that prices were sky-high - it had become a collector's item. Great  :o

But now I found, and ordered, a "very good" used copy, remastered, for DKK 240, in a shop connected to Amazon.UK. Let's see ...  :)

I have now experienced some 4-5 times not getting my loaned out cd's back, so I'm very wary about that, only do it rarely, when I experience a real interest and the person seems sufficiently reliable.

In my youth, I did shit like that, but then it dawned upon me how annoying it is, and years later I actually sent the borrowed things back to people; I think I got it all back again  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-09-29, 09:59:28
It's true that it's harvest time now (late summer), but you probably mean "heaviest and least melodic", Bupie  :)
Right, thanks for the double correction  ;)

QuoteSome three years ago, I lent my Mike Oldfield Exposed cd to a young student colleague, who expressed interest. When my time there was running out, I asked him several times to return it, but that never happened. Turned out that it was in some moving crate, he didn't know which. Still haven't gotten it back  ::)

A year ago I decided to order a new one, but it turned out that prices were sky-high - it had become a collector's item. Great  :o

But now I found, and ordered, a "very good" used copy, remastered, for DKK 240, in a shop connected to Amazon.UK. Let's see ...  :)
Maybe you will find out that it's your student colleague who is selling it back to you  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2013-09-30, 12:05:56
Maybe you will find out that it's your student colleague who is selling it back to you  ;D

;D

I'm looking forward to hearing it again. It's a great album (double, with a more exciting live version of Tubular Bells I)  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-09-29, 09:59:28

Some three years ago, I lent my Mike Oldfield Exposed cd to a young student colleague, who expressed interest. When my time there was running out, I asked him several times to return it, but that never happened. Turned out that it was in some moving crate, he didn't know which. Still haven't gotten it back  ::)

I have now experienced some 4-5 times not getting my loaned out cd's back, so I'm very wary about that, only do it rarely, when I experience a real interest and the person seems sufficiently reliable.

In my youth, I did shit like that, but then it dawned upon me how annoying it is, and years later I actually sent the borrowed things back to people; I think I got it all back again  :)

- Nicky

It is annoying I have purchased several cd's several times.

Now I tend to give them an MP3 copy.

Your post reminds me of the fact that I have someones turntable in my loft.  :-[

Peter

Alter Bridge - Fortress

bought the mp3 version via amazon (yuck), but will have to buy the CD also. First of all, the mp3s are 256kbps CBR(!) full stereo. That means, the guy who made the mp3s either delibarately wanted to deliver shitty quality or he knows next to nothing about audio compression with lame.

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2013-10-10, 17:16:17
Alter Bridge - Fortress

bought the mp3 version via amazon (yuck), but will have to buy the CD also. First of all, the mp3s are 256kbps CBR(!) full stereo. That means, the guy who made the mp3s either delibarately wanted to deliver shitty quality or he knows next to nothing about audio compression with lame.

It could have been worse. Mp3s with 128kbps VBR for example.
Actually, 256kbps isn't that bad. Only 320kbps is better. And then the next step will be lossless.

Peter

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-10-10, 18:01:14
It could have been worse. Mp3s with 128kbps VBR for example.
Actually, 256kbps isn't that bad. Only 320kbps is better. And then the next step will be lossless.

256kbit CBR (constant bit rate) in plain stereo breaks down to a mere 128kbps per channel. My ears are trained, I can hear compression artefacts at that rate. At least when I last did blind comparing listening tests, back in 2007 or so. The setting for an audiophile listener (if using lossy at all) would be something around 240-270kbit/s VBR in joint stereo, using a current lame release (i.e. "V2").

PH

So you prefer VBR over CBR?
I have my cd collection in 320kbps CBR joint stereo and there's actually very rarely compression artefacts. When they do happen (which is very annoying indeed), I simply redo the ripping process and it's good again. Ripping my cd catalogue in lossless format is practically impossible because I don't want to spend that much on harddisk space. Besides, my mobile phone only plays mp3's, sadly. And I like to listen to music while I'm going to school/work.

Peter

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-10-10, 23:56:48
So you prefer VBR over CBR?

Yes, absolutely. Lame is that clever so that it uses only what's really needed in bandwidth.

I have my cd collection in 320kbps CBR joint stereo and there's actually very rarely compression artefacts. When they do happen (which is very annoying indeed), I simply redo the ripping process and it's good again. Ripping my cd catalogue in lossless format is practically impossible because I don't want to spend that much on harddisk space. Besides, my mobile phone only plays mp3's, sadly. And I like to listen to music while I'm going to school/work.

If you're interested in research and guidance on audio compression:
Hydrogenaudio forums
Recommended LAME settings, ripping with EAC

PH

Peter, thanks for that. Now I need to rip my whole cd collection all over again. ;D

Three months back, I bought Big Big Train's "The Underfall Yard".
Unfortunately, there was quite a lot of clicking sounds in the title track. At first I thought it had to do with the mp3... So I thought "just need to re-rip that one". But it actually was the disc itself.
So one e-mail was sent to Big Big Train and I got an almost immediate response from Kathy, a very nice lady at the office management. A new copy was sent and now (only two days later) I'm listening to a perfect copy.
Of course I took advantage of this opportunity and bought the following cds:

Big Big Train - English Boy Wonders
Big Big Train - Gathering Speed
Big Big Train - The Difference Machine
Big Big Train - Make Some Noise (EP)

These guys deserve to be big!

Teunis

Waiting for 'Airbag - The Greatest Show On Earth' to arrive. And have to order the new Ayreon too. But can't have it all (at the same time). The crisis :).

maddox

Trivium ~ Shogun
Talk Talk ~ Color of Spring
ELP ~ Trilogy
Faith no More ~ The Real Thing
Ayreon ~ The Theory of Everything über deluxe pimped book/box.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2013-10-27, 20:25:45
Ayreon ~ The Theory of Everything über deluxe pimped book/box.

It's nice, isn't it! 8)

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2013-10-27, 21:27:38
It's nice, isn't it! 8)

Best artwork I've seen since Tool's 10.000 Days.  *horns* 8) *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.