News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

NP  Dream Theater:  Events

You have that distinctive DT sound, and yet it's quite different  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Knight Area - Nine Paths
Proto~Kaw - Forth
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

erik

Have been playing two Dare albums that just arrived, Arc Of The Dawn and Belief (nice melodic AOR) and the Arena album teaser. Sounds really promising, even more of a raw rocky edge to it than Pepper's Ghost already had, mainly because of the vocals I think.

A lot of great new arrivals to listen to this weekend, the new Hackett, Steven Wilson and Peter Gabriel. Just heard bits of Hackett so far and I saw the Gabriel concert with orchestra in the cinema recently, totally gripping these new interpretations of his back catalogue.

Re: Dream Theater - Dramatic Turn.. Have to listen to it more but love it already, classic DT yet fresh and vibrant at the same time. BTW Paco thanks for the tip about the budget price DT box, I already have all of it, but a friend of mine who hasn't and wants to get more of their albums was really happy and is going to get it now!

Re: Explorer's Club, great super group, I have both their albums. Like Nicky said they seem to have slipped under the radar somewhat if you compare it to OSI, Transatlantic etc. Fading Fast is indeed a gem, but the whole album rocks. Of the second album I really like the first tracks, but the big epic is not something I feel like listening too often.

Re: Genesis, always good to see attention devoted to one of my alltime favourite bands! *horns* I can go on and on about them.. 8) For now suffice to say that, Nicky, stick with Trick, it's one of my absolute favourites together with Wind&Wuthering and right after Selling England (which is their perfect album if it didn't have Battle Of Epping Forest on it, the track doesn't flow well and it doesn't fit in the flow of the album either). Nursery Crime is also very recommended. Get the new stereo mixes if you're buying the albums, this revisionism may be heresy for some but I know the albums by heart and love the new mixes. Seems like layers of dust have been removed and you hear all kinds of "new" things that were buried underneath. Oh and on Foxtrot besides Supper's Ready there's the underrated track Can Utility And The Coast Liners and the opener Watcher Of The Skies of course (for a big mighty version as it was really intended check out Genesis Revisited by Hackett).

And Maddox you're right, it's funny how a more recent album (i.e. Invisible Touch a.k.a. Plastic Fantastic) sounds much more dated than their earlier seventies stuff that is classic and timeless. But still there's Land of Confusion, Tonight3x, Domino and Brazilian. The eponymous album is the real dud in their catalogue for me (Revelation is just their first strides into music). It says it all that Rutherford alway says his favourite album is "side A of Genesis". I totally agree, the first four tracks are superb, side B just isn't much good, literally B sides material. I tend to think that the best stuff of Genesis and Touch put together would have made the ultimate 80s Genesis album..
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Fri, 2011-10-14, 23:24:28
For now suffice to say that, Nicky, ....

Thanx a lot, Erik  :)

Nobody can teach me anything about Floyd - well, OK, Nick Mason and a few others excepted  ;D - but re Genesis and Yes, I still have a lot to learn and experience with these groups  *horns*

NP  Explorers Club:  Age of Impact

Fading Fast is of course a work of genius - obvious to me already at first listen - but I am slowly getting into the other tracks and realising that the entire album is terrific  *horns*

Kudos to Trent Gardner, the mastermind behind Explorers Club  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Note that a neo-prog as we know it, could never exist without the efforts of bands like Genesis. ;)
Without them, we never could have enjoyed the music of, let's say, Arena.  8)

NP> Voyager ~ The Meaning of i

maddox

Tiles ~ Window Dressing

A Rush clone, but a pleasant one!  *horns*

PH

Dream Theater - "A Dramatic Turn Of Events"

1. On The Backs Of Angels

Definitely sounds like Dream Theater. Mostly "Systematic Chaos", because of the vocal lines and lyrics. I think someone already mentioned "Scenes From A Memory" and from 4:35 and on the guitar riff reminds me of the riff in Strange Deja Vu from that album ("Back on my feet again ..."). From 5:50 to 6:20 nice piano playing from Rudess which in turn evokes an atmosphere like that of "Scenes...". Then a very sufficient guitar solo.

Those synthetic choirs of Rudess (which he really (over)uses since the last three albums) adds a tiny gothic-/powermetal vibe. It's not really that annoying on this track.

2. Build Me Up, Break Me Down

Nice guitar riff. I think the 'aggressive' vocals of James on this song are very annoying. Something he recently (since "Systematic Chaos" actually) often does. As if he wants to say "look at us, how metal we are!". The chorus again is very good and catchy. It remains in my head for hours after listening. The instrumental break which begins at 4:00 is alright. And the guitar/keyboard solo is quite nice too!

3. Lost Not Forgotten

Starts with a nice piece of classical piano. Because of this, I am strongly reminded of Muse (which happens more often with DT...) But as of 1:40 it is unmistakably Dream Theater again. Then some 'noodling' until 2:30. From that moment on, it sounds a bit like A Rite Of Passage.
The chorus is not as catchy as that of BMUBMD, but enough for humming. ;) From 4:50 it turns, and it turns out great! Nice melodies. From 6:20, there are those typical DT tunes again. Funny. At 7:10 a guitarsolo, which reminds me of A.C.T more than anything.

4. This Is The Life

"Black Clouds & Silver Linings". A piano driven power ballad. Not unlike The Best Of Times, but better.

5. Bridges In The Sky

Up until now (40 minutes), this album was already as expected: good but nothing really outstanding. But track five lifts the album just a bit higher! It starts with the Dalai Lama backed up by Rudess' synthetic choirs (Google: East West Symphonic Choirs + Word Builder). James' singing ("I trust in you") sound again very like "Systematic Chaos" which I think is something that can still be worked on. Once again a very strong melody in the chorus. Truly very nice. Good guitar and keyboard solos. At this time I realised this album could be something more than just another DT album (how cool in itself). This song has so much to offer. I think one of the best DT songs.

6. Outcry

After Bridges In The Sky it's hard to please me with something like Outcry, yet another song about war. For a moment I thought that another singer had taken place behind the microphone. Am I the only one? Very un-James but not bad at all. In the end I think this song is not that great. It does nothing with me, especially not after Bridges.... I think I still need to re-listen to this a few more times.

7. Far From Heaven

Perhaps I hoped another Bridges In The Sky would come up, but a ballad instead. And not a very good one. I'm sorry James, but your lyrics are not the best and the song is just not good. I can't help it.

8. Breaking All Illusions

Just when I was disillusioned, this song makes it all right. Here everything is just perfect again. I can't think of anything wrong. Nice instrumental interludes, a beautiful solo by Petrucci, very well placed moments of rests. All flows very natural. The best thing to do, is to listen to this song, rather than writing about it. Yes, it's even better than Bridges... ;D

9. Beneath The Surface

This is the "Wither" of the album. Quite beautiful. When LaBrie suddenly begins singing in a higher octave, it sounds not quite as it should. Other than that, it's a fine song.

There are a few bad moments on this album. But remind you, it's an album of almost 80 minutes of music! Let them have some bad moments. Most of the album, at least 50 minutes, is 'nice' to 'very good'. Yes, I think this is a masterpiece.

Best songs? On The Backs Of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges In The Sky and Breaking All Illusions. Great album!!

Nicky007

Paxi, thanx for your review of the songs on Events. I too have the album now, and it will be interesting to compare my take with yours  :)

I just balked at your comparison of DT with Muse. Muse arent really progressive imo, they'r just good at cooking up some of the good old stuff from classical and rock music.

Otoh DT are one of the absolutely most progressive and exciting groups on this planet, even when one can't hear it quite initially, like on their new album. But if I know Petrucci and Co. well - which I'm pretty sure I do - they got some real intriguing secrets lying just under the surface of delightful melodies and soloing  ;)

NP  Cloudscape  on  YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-42XGcSfg&feature=autoplay&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdNjEbUOCvL_RSLWT-oqB5h&lf=list_related&playnext=4

Guys, once again I appeal to you to pay attention to this fantastic melodic progmetal group from Helsingborg in Sweden, in style with Circus Maximus and Seventh Wonder. On the basis of YouTube samples, I added them to my pantheon groups some time ago, and every time I listen to them, I'm confirmed in this.

I now ordered their Global Drama from 2008, and I'm looking very much forward to hearing the tracks in proper sequence  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Tiles ~ Presents of Mind

funkster

Anthrax  - Worship music

I had fears this might be a cabaret version after Joey rejoined but boy was i wrong  ??? A full on classic metal album and maybe the best of their career.

Machine head = Unto the locust

A superb follow up to the blackening and a new black album for the 21st century - quite possibly

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Tue, 2011-10-18, 07:25:05
Anthrax  - Worship music

I had fears this might be a cabaret version after Joey rejoined but boy was i wrong  ??? A full on classic metal album and maybe the best of their career.

Thanx for the tip, Funky  :)

I don't go for their early stuff, but with about White Noise, it starts gripping me. I don't yet have any album by'm, so with your recom, I'l start with Worship Music  8)

NP  Keep of Kalessin:  Reptilian  *horns*

Hey Funky ... Funky  ;)

Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: funkster on Tue, 2011-10-18, 07:25:05
Anthrax  - Worship music

*horns* *horns* *horns*

Teunis

Just: Knight Area - Nine Paths
Now: Airbag - All Rights Removed

on http://www.progstreaming.com/

Found their previous one 'Identity' great and this one rocks too  *horns*.

maddox

Iggy

Peter

np> Pink Floyd - [Meddle (1971) #01] One of These Days (5:59)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

erik

NP Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning

First listen, I'm very impressed, what a marvellous album. This is going the end up high in my best of 2011 list I'm sure (and 2011 is a year with a lot of competition!).
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: erik on Thu, 2011-10-20, 22:11:01
NP Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning

First listen, I'm very impressed, what a marvellous album. This is going the end up high in my best of 2011 list I'm sure (and 2011 is a year with a lot of competition!).

Yes it's great. Very jazzy in places. Very... different. I like it! 8)

I've been warming up to hear new Arena-material next month, so I've been listening to Pepper's Ghost and The Visitor a lot over the last few days. Especially The Visitor. I forgot how good that album is. Especially Elea, The Hanging Tree, A State of Grace, Serenity, Tears in the Rain, Running From Damascus and the end section of The Visitor. Wow. Just wow.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

erik

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2011-10-21, 08:45:59
Yes it's great. Very jazzy in places. Very... different. I like it! 8)
Very jazzy, and very classical and atmospheric as well. Lots of choirs and loads of mellotron :P There's also a big vintage King Crimson influence which Wilson has stated is due to him doing the Crimson remixes, most notably Court.. and Lizard (their most jazzy outing). I've kept it on repeat the rest of the evening, totally awesome.

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2011-10-21, 08:45:59
I've been warming up to hear new Arena-material next month, so I've been listening to Pepper's Ghost and The Visitor a lot over the last few days. Especially The Visitor. I forgot how good that album is. Especially Elea, The Hanging Tree, A State of Grace, Serenity, Tears in the Rain, Running From Damascus and the end section of The Visitor. Wow. Just wow.
And A Crack In The Ice, especially the quiet midsection ("you held the white rose out" etc) and the guitar solo that follows. I vividly remember hearing the album for the first time, at Cage HQ, with Clive and John M present. Clive stayed in the kitchen all the time we were listening, rather nervously, and we heard a a big sigh of relief coming from the kitchen when we applauded after the end of the final beep (I quote: "Thank God!!"). No need to be nervous when you've just created such a masterpiece, but Clive explained that after having spent weeks and weeks in the studio working on the final details, you're focused on all the final decisions and modifications, that's what you hear, you haven't had a chance to take a step back and really take in the whole of what you've just made.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: erik on Fri, 2011-10-21, 11:17:51
I vividly remember hearing the album for the first time, at Cage HQ, with Clive and John M present. Clive stayed in the kitchen all the time we were listening, rather nervously, and we heard a a big sigh of relief coming from the kitchen when we applauded after the end of the final beep (I quote: "Thank God!!").

It was no different during the listening-sessions for Contagion and Pepper's Ghost as you may recall. :P Ahhh, those good old times...

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Teunis

Muse - The Resistance
Knight Area - Nine Paths
Asia - Arena
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous

How I love a Friday-off ;).

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Fri, 2011-10-14, 23:24:28
Re: Explorer's Club, great super group ... but the whole album rocks.

Yup, but particularly the first two pieces. Track 2, Fading Fast, we've already talked about: fabulous piece. Track 1, Fate Speaks, took longer time with me, but then I started noticing the gritty stuff that Billy Sheehan does on his bass, which is absolutely amazing. James LaBrie and D.C. Cooper sing well on each their song, but my first prize goes to Matt Bradley's terrific singing on Fading Fast.

It says it all that Rutherford always says his favourite album is "side A of Genesis". I totally agree, the first four tracks are superb ....

Hm, wonder what happened to Rutherford's sense of quality. I listened to the album once again, and imo there's nothing there that even comes close to their golden era from Selling England to Abacab. To me it sounds like so much other standard stuff that's played on the radio. OK, Home By The Sea is a fine pop song, but that's about it. And the lyrics don't either evoke much with me. Guys, Genesis was one of the leading progressive groups during the 70's and early 80's, but there's nothing left of that  :(

NP  Anthrax:  Worship Music  on  YouTube

Sounds great, gotta get that album  *horns*

Here's a recording with samples of all the songs on the album:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAm0I3jBBz8&feature=related

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

NP  Cairo  on  YouTube Mix

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAkndGV4qUk&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdACx_quApHQkcnD0j4fJlG

Old school prog with swirling keys  8)

I got to Cairo by way of Explorers Club  ;)

Their singer Bret Douglas sings on Fate Speaks  :)

These songs are nice:

Cairo:  World Divided   

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX4bfjsrnfU&feature=autoplay&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdACx_quApHQkcnD0j4fJlG&lf=list_related&playnext=3

Cairo:  I Like Blue Beat

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIlbtFsaDMM&feature=autoplay&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdACx_quApHQkcnD0j4fJlG&lf=list_related&playnext=2

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

NP  Cairo  on  YouTube Mix - still

Beginning to like that stuff bigtime  *horns*

Just like Dali's Dilemma, they aint even wikied  >:(

Sad that such great groups don't get out properly  :(

Well guys, maybe it's up to us on the various progforums  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can