News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Gear setup John Mitchell

Started by Hydra, Wed, 2006-03-01, 10:07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra

Hi

Is there a list from the gear setup from John Mitchell. I have been looking the net but with no luck :(

Thanks for replying ...

Greetings,

Hans .... Holland

jeffMc

I know John uses Cort guitars.

Hydra

Thanks Jeff,

Do you also now which models from Cort he plays.
And does Anybody know his entire gearsetup ?

Greetings

Hans

keyboardistmatt

There is a gear list in the 'Welcome To The Stage' CD... ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

CygnusX1

Quote from: Hydra on Mon, 2006-03-06, 09:51:21
Thanks Jeff,

Do you also now which models from Cort he plays.
And does Anybody know his entire gearsetup ?

Greetings

Hans

In the Kino DVD I think I saw him with a G260B - http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Catalogue_G_Series_286.html
(5th one down on that page...)

Quite fancy one meself.  Helluva lot of guitar for the money.

jeffMc

Quote from: CygnusX1 on Tue, 2006-05-09, 15:00:56
In the Kino DVD I think I saw him with a G260B - http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Catalogue_G_Series_286.html
(5th one down on that page...)

Quite fancy one meself.  Helluva lot of guitar for the money.

Great guitar and a great value.

cabo

What Kino dvd? Where did you buy it?

PH

Quote from: cabo on Mon, 2006-08-21, 21:39:06
What Kino dvd? Where did you buy it?

The one that came with the limited edition of Picture.

PH

I've taken the time to post a few questions regarding JM's gear setup on the Kino-forum.
My questions and the reply:

Quote from: PHHi John,
I'm sure this has been asked multiple times before.
Sorry about that.
But still here are some questions:

Do you use the same guitars for The Urbane, Kino and Arena (and others)? And which guitars do you use then? I know you have a Cort guitar, but I still am not sure which guitars and amps you use.

This is because I want to buy a guitar and why not ask the best guitarplayer I know?

If I can get hold of the same guitars you use, I might get the same sound. I even might surpass you. Hehehehe...
Ahem...

Regards,
Paco

Quote from: John MitchellHi mate,

In answer to your question I have been using a Cort guitar for pretty much everything i have done for the last 2 years.

And in answer to your other question, i use a Marshall JMP-1 through a Valvestate 80/80 with a Korg A3 on the send and return loop for the odd delay here and there! :-)

John x x x
Source here

This information combined with CygnusX1's observation = Oh yeah.

Unicorn

I love John's guitar sound, too. But I think a big part to the sound is just the way he plays with the vibrato and stuff.... and I noticed he has Humbucker in Single coil- size in his guitar.

btw. Hi, I'm Markus. I'm a Arenafan since a few years and decided to join this forum  ::)

PH

Hi Markus! Have a nice stay here! It's good to see you got trapped inside these cold and shattered rooms.
Welcome...to the cage and get lost in this dark house!

About Johns sound. It's indeed the way he plays. Every guitarist has his own style. Some are melancholic and very strange (Hackett), some are fast and over the top (Petrucci) and some have this driving dragging way of playing (Mitchell).
Also, John's way of playing the guitar is sometimes referred as to be very Gilmourish. I wouldn't know, because I don't know Floyd good enough.

Anyway, it seems you know a lot of this guitarstuff, I'm sure you fit in with all the rest!

Welcome, again!

Unicorn

What a nice warm äh cold and shattered welcome. Don't think I know that much, but I play guitar for a few years, and bought myself these small humbucker, cause the guitar I had only had three single coils in it. A really cheap starter guitar that was... hehe
I have to search for a thread now, that says something about Arenas side projects. I should check them out I think

PH

Arena's sideprojects...

I'll name them for ya.

Clive's involvements: (a lot)
- Strangers On A Train Ehhmmm... Well, it's nice piano music... I'm not a professional on this project, you should ask someone else.
- Shadowland Like Arena? Like Shadowland! Yes, I think they're very similar. Clive's vocals are excellent in my opinion.
- Pendragon Shout "PENDRAGON!" in a full room with proggers and they'll buy you a beer... I hope. Really good music.
- Nolan & Wakeman Wohohoho this is really cool music. If you like keyboards you'll like this! (And you do like keyboards, you're a progger, right?
- Caamora Still not much known about this Operatic project (Clive and a woman). I'm very curious though.
- Neo Not really a band, just a few proggers (Jowitt, Edwards, Nolan and Westwood(?)) playing music from their respective bands.

John Mitchell's involvements:
- Kino Mitchell, Trewavas, Beck and Maitland (now Dalton) they play absolutely beautiful melodic progressive poprock. A MUST HAVE!
- The Urbane A bit like Kino but a bit rockier and (dare I say it) more mainstream. Really good though, it's always good to hear John sing!
- Frost* The Prog masters of the moment. You either love them or hate them. But they sure are different than any other progband!
- It Bites John Mitchell replaces Francis Dunnery. Melodic poprock. Kino is a bit like It Bites, so is Frost at some points.
- John Wetton Don't know them...

Rob Sowden:
- Solar Brilliant. A bit like The Urbane, but with the voice of Arena. It's very relaxing music, really good actually. Better than I expected, but don't expect Arena here.

Man, that's too much... I can't think of anymore although I'm sure I forgot some as well. And Of course I have only listed Nolan's and Mitchell's projects...
And they're all very good sideprojects!
Have a nice journey through all of it!

EDIT:
Here are some links to Progarchives websites. Some of them have full lenght samples to listen to:

Strangers On A Train (No samples)
Shadowland (2 samples)
Pendragon (4 samples)
Nolan & Wakeman (1 sample)

Kino (1 sample)
The Urbane (No samples)
Frost* (1 sample)
It Bites (3 samples)
John Wetton (No samples)

Unicorn

God, I'll be broke if I check out all of them  :-[
Maybe you could add the styles

PH

bellanova

John Wetton....If you remember ASIA, then you will know of John Wetton. His band play alot of the old Asia stuff plus Johns solo work which is introspective rock, but John Mitchell does his amazing guitar work plus backing vocals. John Wettons band is himself, Geoff Downes or Martin Orfird, Steve Christy and JM. Check out Rock of Faith and Icon by John Wetton and hear JMs amazing guitar solos!!

PH

Rock Of Faith has John M AND Clive N on it too! :P ;D

Unicorn

Thanks for your time, PH. I ordered "Picture", it will arrive next week :)

Unicorn

Holy shit, Kino is amazing! Perfect Tense is my fav. right now.
And after I watched the bonus DVD I realised that I know the guy who made the sound for the DVD. He is a teacher at our sound engeneering school hehe
But his daytime job is at the WDR

PH

Quote from: Unicorn on Mon, 2006-11-13, 22:47:34Holy shit, Kino is amazing!
That's exactly what I thought when I first heard it!
To be honest, I still think it when I hear it.

Quote from: Unicorn on Mon, 2006-11-13, 22:47:34Perfect Tense is my fav. right now.
Yeah, isn't it great? They all are. My favourite is... Ehhmmm... Leave A Light On, I think...

Quote from: Unicorn on Mon, 2006-11-13, 22:47:34And after I watched the bonus DVD I realised that I know the guy who made the sound for the DVD. He is a teacher at our sound engeneering school hehe
But his daytime job is at the WDR

LOL, that's very cool to hear! Funny, these little facts.

Unicorn

So, I bought
The Urbane - Neon

and
Shadowland - Ring of Roses

The Urbane is pretty cool. I'd say it has some emo/softpunk feel to it. Some songs are a bit boring to me, but some really get me.

I'm a bit shocked how 80's Shadowland sounds... I'd say Arena is far better. Can someone recommend me another Shadowland album?
Maybe I should give them another try.

PH

Quote from: Unicorn on Thu, 2006-11-30, 15:16:25
So, I bought
The Urbane - Neon

and
Shadowland - Ring of Roses

The Urbane is pretty cool. I'd say it has some emo/softpunk feel to it. Some songs are a bit boring to me, but some really get me.

I'm a bit shocked how 80's Shadowland sounds... I'd say Arena is far better. Can someone recommend me another Shadowland album?
Maybe I should give them another try.

The other two Shadowland albums. ;D

I think Through The Looking Glass sounds the most like an Arena album with its dark compositions.

Really, I CAN understand why you were shocked by Shadowland, but it isn't THAT bad, right? :o

;)

Unicorn

No, it's not BAD... but cheesy as hell. I must say, I can stand cheesieness... but it's too much for lil' Unicorn  ::)