News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Bands you hate

Started by Lordi_monsterman, Fri, 2005-09-16, 17:44:22

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2005-10-09, 20:12:55
Not at all!  They spend just as much time writing and arranging original music, which is then pressed onto vinyl which is what they mix with.

We're talking about different kinds of DJs then.
A DJ (Disc Jocky) is someone who puts different discs in a deck.

Emilia

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2005-10-09, 19:04:00

I guess I'm trying to say, maybe you should check these things out for yourself before you start jumping to conclusions... ;)

Just a thought. :)
Ok, agree...but I'm just talking about the most popular and commercial stuff from MTV which reaches most of the people', I do not deny the "underground" scene :) or their tallents.
E.
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2005-10-09, 20:21:20
We're talking about different kinds of DJs then.
A DJ (Disc Jocky) is someone who puts different discs in a deck.
I'm under the impression that we are talking about the kind of DJ who gets into the charts, and plays to the masses in Ibiza... Not a radio-style DJ...? ;)

Quote from: Emilia on Mon, 2005-10-10, 10:57:25
Ok, agree...but I'm just talking about the most popular and commercial stuff from MTV which reaches most of the people', I do not deny the "underground" scene :) or their tallents.
E.
Fair enough! :)

WOW!  Is it me, of have we just witnessed a musical debate in this forum?? ;D

...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

PH

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-10-10, 15:09:07I'm under the impression that we are talking about the kind of DJ who gets into the charts, and plays to the masses in Ibiza... Not a radio-style DJ...? ;)

A DJ is a DJ.
If you mean something else by it, you should name it different.

Moonloop

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-10-10, 15:36:12
A DJ is a DJ.
If you mean something else by it, you should name it different.

Both are in common useage though - it's a quirk of the English language and I don't think any individual has the authority to rename something simply because they're getting confused  ;)  . eg:

Fly : (n) a winged insect
Fly : (v) to move through the air with the aid of wings
Fly : (n) Slang term for an area of a gentlemans trousers

(spoke too soon about the musical discussion Matt  ;D  ;D )

;D

The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

PH

Quote from: Moonloop on Mon, 2005-10-10, 15:51:58
Both are in common useage though - it's a quirk of the English language and I don't think any individual has the authority to rename something simply because they're getting confused  ;)  . eg:

Fly : (n) a winged insect
Fly : (v) to move through the air with the aid of wings
Fly : (n) Slang term for an area of a gentlemans trousers

(spoke too soon about the musical discussion Matt  ;D  ;D )

;D

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

It is connected.
A fly is called a fly because it can fly.
Don't know about the gentlemans trousers though.

A DJ was just a man who put different musics on in a disco. But they thought they could do better and mixed a lot of music (mixing their own playing in it too). But it still was a DJ.

Same goes for a rapper.
Originally a rapper was someone who encouraged the audience to dance and sing and clap. "Come on yo dance!" you know what I mean.
Hence the MC for MC Hammer. MC stands for Master of Ceremony.
It's like an presentator.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-10-10, 16:17:14
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

It is connected.
A fly is called a fly because it can fly.
Don't know about the gentlemans trousers though.

A DJ was just a man who put different musics on in a disco. But they thought they could do better and mixed a lot of music (mixing their own playing in it too). But it still was a DJ.

That's exactly what is being said.

Fly= insect
Fly= to move through the air with the aid of wings
Fly= <Slang> Zipper on trouser crotch.

DJ= A person who plays a continuous set of songs at a party or nightclub.
DJ= A radio presenter.
DJ= A person professionally involved in the creation of new music by mixing different elements (i.e.: recordings of different instruments or 'samples') together.

PH

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-10-10, 20:46:04
That's exactly what is being said.

Fly= insect
Fly= to move through the air with the aid of wings
Fly= <Slang> Zipper on trouser crotch.

DJ= A person who plays a continuous set of songs at a party or nightclub.
DJ= A radio presenter.
DJ= A person professionally involved in the creation of new music by mixing different elements (i.e.: recordings of different instruments or 'samples') together.

A fly is connected to flying.
A zipper is also (more or less) connected to flying (flying through your zipper)

1. A Disc Jockey is a  person who plays a continuous set of songs at a party or nightclub. He is no musician.
2. The other DJ (presenter) does the same thing as the above and can therefore be named the same. He isn't a musician either.

3. But a DJ (as in Dance/Trance/Hardcore etc) doesn't do the same as above. He mixes his own music. The term 'DJ' doesn't fit.

If you want to call him a DJ, he can't be called a musician. Do you want to call him a musician, he can't be called a DJ.

A 3-DJ existed when DJs from the 1's and 2's thought about mixing the music (with a bit of their own).
Actually you can call these people 'mixers'. ;)

Man, it's difficult to make yourself clear in English (which is not my native language...)

keyboardistmatt

The point is... :-\

the term "DJ" really, really, absolutely, most definitely,  IS valid for all of those mentioned descriptions.

In the English language, the term "DJ" does mean any one of these descriptions:

DJ= A person who plays a continuous set of songs at a party or nightclub. ;D
DJ= A radio presenter. ;D
DJ= A person professionally involved in the creation of new music by mixing different elements (i.e.: recordings of different instruments or 'samples') together. ;D

It's true!! whether you agree or not!!   PLEASE!!!  IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!! :D

PH

I believe you.

But...
Oh well... Sorry, Forget it... :-[

I hate DJ's.
I hate rap.

As for the rest, I don't care, as long as it is music and it sounds good, it's OK.
Personally I like original music.

As with cars. Every car looks the same.
Luckily there are the New Beatle, Mini Cooper and Crysler cars, which are very original. The rest looks the same.

Just like music.
Luckily there are Arena, Porcupine Tree, and Genesis: luckily there's music-genre which is called 'Progressive', which are very original. The rest sounds the same.

Peter

Hmmm, maybe I'd also like to add something now.

Basicall, I don't hate any band. There are many I don't like, because of silly/childish/stupid/whatever music, some I may grin about, some make me frown, but hate... nah, wasted energy. I tend to use my energy to enjoy the bands I actually do like.

And then there is a second thing that one should never forget. Someone already told me (was it on this forum...?) that it doesn't play a role, but for me it does: There's always (well, more or less) people behind what you hear. They have spent blood, sweat and tears (hmmm....) to produce the music. And the fact that there are people who buy their CDs and/or that they get airplay is reason enough for them to feel proud of what they do. Not everyone necessarily needs to like it, that's impossible. And if you don't like it, turn it off...

Think positive :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

PH

Quote from: Peter on Mon, 2005-10-10, 22:38:43
Hmmm, maybe I'd also like to add something now.

Basicall, I don't hate any band. There are many I don't like, because of silly/childish/stupid/whatever music, some I may grin about, some make me frown, but hate... nah, wasted energy. I tend to use my energy to enjoy the bands I actually do like.

And then there is a second thing that one should never forget. Someone already told me (was it on this forum...?) that it doesn't play a role, but for me it does: There's always (well, more or less) people behind what you hear. They have spent blood, sweat and tears (hmmm....) to produce the music. And the fact that there are people who buy their CDs and/or that they get airplay is reason enough for them to feel proud of what they do. Not everyone necessarily needs to like it, that's impossible. And if you don't like it, turn it off...

Think positive :)

Yup, hate is a big word.
But this topic is called 'Bands you hate', soooo.....

I dislike rap.
For the rest, there are some good music over there in this brave new world.

Emilia

Ok, so maybe we should change the topic for "the bands you dislike" or "the music you dislike" to take it more impersonnally 'cos there is always people behind the music, their sweat and tears and so on...

Personnally, I do not believe ALL music is created with great commitment, emotion and good intention (but OK, even this kind of music works for some people - I do not deny it).

You know.. there is a guy in Poland who used to play hard rock but as went down in popularity with rock music he turned to recording dico albums which brought him onto the top charts in Poland. He overtly admitted he "dislikes" dico but makes it only for the money because he has to make his living somehow...... OK, maybe his intentions are right but I do not believe in such music ... and If people buy his CDs ok, it means there is a great demand for it ...maybe more than for rock music.

What I am trying to say is that such "musicians" who treat MUSIC only as a consummable "product" which shall  be trown into a litterbin after it 's used and worn out do not have my respect and I have a feeling that with CERTAIN kind of music this product-oriented approach is more common and obvious (or maybe I'm imaginin' something?)

E.
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: Emilia on Tue, 2005-10-11, 08:21:45
Ok, so maybe we should change the topic for "the bands you dislike" or "the music you dislike" to take it more impersonnally 'cos there is always people behind the music, their sweat and tears and so on...

Personnally, I do not believe ALL music is created with great commitment, emotion and good intention (but OK, even this kind of music works for some people - I do not deny it).

What I am trying to say is that such "musicians" who treat MUSIC only as a consummable "product" which shall  be trown into a litterbin after it 's used and worn out do not have my respect and I have a feeling that with CERTAIN kind of music this product-oriented approach is more common and obvious (or maybe I'm imaginin' something?)

E.

I agree!!!  I like to believe that there are musicians out there who would record their music even if they made little or no money on it.  They would be doing it out of a need to share their thoughts, hopes, and dreams.  Does this sound a little niave on my part?
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

sammi

Ok so there has been things said bout there being bad things said in songs i have a queston and im sorry if it's a stupid one but are people really influenced (sorry bout my really bad spellings) by it all is that why there is and whole new socity of yobs, discrimination, if so is it mainly the younger people that are "fooled" by music. i hope this make sence. but back on topic i hate westlife so i won't listen to them. if you don't like you don't have to listen to it

PH

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "society of jobs and discrimination". But sure, some peopole get influenced by some music. And I think it's also true that younger people are victim of that.

Music changes a person emotionally.
Some music can make you happy, other music can make you sad.
For me, Arena is the most depressing music I ever heard. Everytime I listen to it, I feel really down. But when I'm done listening to it, it's over. Some people still feel down after they stopped listening to it.

I think it's GREAT that music can change you like that. If you're hit by a song emotionally, it means that the song has something. Most music can't get you that far. But still you have to be careful.

That was about the musical aspect of 'influence'.
There's also the lyrical side.

But I don't really believe in lyrics influencing people.
If I listen to Eminem talking (not singing) about suicide, I won't think "Well... I'm gonna kill myself then!". Some people will think that, but that depends on their own mental abilities. (Or rather disabilities).

It's the same as blaming videogames for people to kill other people. If you say you get influenced by videogames, than it's your problem and not the problem of the videogame.

But to conclusion now.

I still won't listen to music with 'bad' lyrics, 'cause I dislike it anyway.
I don't like listening to "kill you parents", or "Satan is master" or "f**k yo granny" or...

You see what I mean?

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2006-01-10, 07:47:28

But to conclusion now.

I still won't listen to music with 'bad' lyrics, 'cause I dislike it anyway.
I don't like listening to "kill you parents", or "Satan is master" or "f**k yo granny" or...

You see what I mean?

I agree with you.  I won't listen to music that promotes hatred of other groups of people or other things.  There is too much hatred and other very negative emotions in the world already.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Appelmoes??

Quote from: sammi on Tue, 2006-01-10, 02:59:00
Ok so there has been things said bout there being bad things said in songs i have a queston and im sorry if it's a stupid one but are people really influenced (sorry bout my really bad spellings) by it all is that why there is and whole new socity of yobs, discrimination, if so is it mainly the younger people that are "fooled" by music. i hope this make sence. but back on topic i hate westlife so i won't listen to them. if you don't like you don't have to listen to it
I don't think it's the music that is "fooling" the younger people, but society, and the musics reflects of how society is thinking atm. Still it's stupid people let themselves be influenced by music. I normaly check out a band before I go buy their albums.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Smegal

I hate this band called Arena if you've ever heard of them!!

Oh shit wrong forum i mean i hate The Monkeys

Oh know thats the same people isn't it i get so confused
MY PRECIOUS

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Smegal on Fri, 2006-01-13, 04:45:43
I hate this band called Arena if you've ever heard of them!!

Oh shit wrong forum i mean i hate The Monkeys

Oh know thats the same people isn't it i get so confused

How can you hate The Monkeys??

Nobody hates the Monkeys, man! 8)