News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Blind Ego - Liquid Live (cd/DVD)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

Von Hertzen Brothers - War Is Over

What a beautiful album 8). The opener and title track 'War Is Over' is epic. Recommended  *horns*

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2018-01-30, 19:16:04
Von Hertzen Brothers - War Is Over

What a beautiful album 8). The opener and title track 'War Is Over' is epic. Recommended  *horns*

It is.
One of the best releases last year. Highly recomended. :)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Toto - 40 Trips Around The Sun

Another collection, but all the tracks remastered. I'm hearing sounds I didn't here before and 3 new songs. Well worth it, especially for a Toto fan like me  *horns* 8) ;).

Teunis

Neal Morse - Life & Times
Dukes Of The Orient - s/t
Bjørn Riis - Coming Home (EP)

Teunis

Kino - Radio Voltaire

It arrived, bought it yesterday.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2018-04-01, 13:23:57
Kino - Radio Voltaire

It arrived, bought it yesterday.

Nice!

Yesterday I went to the concert of Barock Project in "De Boederij", Zoetermeer (which was awesome by the way). As always, there was the stand of the Beyond Rock shop where I bought the following:
- King Crimson - "Red" (40th anniversary edition)
- Echolyn - "I Heard You Listening"
- Exxos - "Dune: Spice Opera"

I always felt a gap in my collection and that's because of King Crimson. Now I finally have an album by this amazing and important Prog band. "Red" is in 8th place on Progarchives' top albums of all time. Fortunately this album was only 10 euros, because most of the time I find them too expensive. Now I need "In The Court Of The Crimson King" and "The Power To Believe" and then I have at least what I think are the essential King Crimson albums (for me).

Echolyn is a band that I heard a lot about. When I was in my discovery phase (roughly between 2004 and 2007) I listened to "The End Is Beautiful" and it really connected with me. As with a lot of bands, I did not invest much time in it and in the end I lost them a bit. Their (second) self titled album went by somewhat unnoticed by me. But last year I discovered them again with their 2015 album "I Heard You Listening". What a nice album!! Please listen, if you don't know them yet. Bought it for 18 euros, which is not cheap, but well worth it.

Okay, the last one is also very interesting. "Dune: Spice Opera" by Exxos, which is essentially a French guy called Stéphane Picq. Why is this so special? Well, firstly because it's an early nineties video game soundtrack which reminds me a litle bit of Zoolook-era Jean Michel Jarre. And I think it's very charming.
Secondly because it was 5 euros, and, in total (with the other cd's) the seller rounded it up to thirty euros. So in the end I only paid 2 euros for this album.
Lastly, but certainly not the least. This is a very special find, because this is an extremely rare album! It has somewhat of a cult-status among fans of the Dune books/movie/games. I just looked at eBay and prices vary between 60 and 200 euros. Ha! Unreal! Not that I plan to sell this album.

Since I haven't posted a lot in this thread in the last couple of months I thought it would be nice to summarize my purchases:
Perfect Beings - "Vier"
Big Big Train - "Merry Christmas"
Tiger Moth Tales - "The Depths Of Winter"
Neal Morse - "Life & Times"
Magnum - "Lost On The Road To Eternity"
The Flower Kings - "A Kingdom Of Colours" Boxset

So many good music releases!

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2018-04-01, 20:45:08
Yesterday I went to the concert of Barock Project in "De Boederij", Zoetermeer (which was awesome by the way).

You were there as well?
Darn, me too!!!  :o

Great concert, a bit short but the singer Alex Mari really impressed me.
Had a great time. :)

PH

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2018-04-02, 17:37:56
You were there as well?
Darn, me too!!!  :o

Oh no! :o We could've teamed up! What a missed opportunity! :-[
I was at the right side of the stage. Perfect view on the guitarist! 8)

You got any other concerts planned in the near future? Neal Morse in Utrecht perhaps?

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2018-04-02, 17:37:56
Great concert, a bit short but the singer Alex Mari really impressed me.
Had a great time. :)

Yeah the singer impressed me a LOT! What an amazing singer!
Indeed it was a bit short. I've seen the setlist on the mixing desk and I think they planned to do Hocus Pocus (a Focus song) as an encore, but in the end they didn't. And I had a feeling that the piano sound was a bit distorted, probably because of the loudness. Other than that, I think it was amazing!

maddox

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2018-04-02, 20:11:40
Oh no! :o We could've teamed up! What a missed opportunity! :-[
I was at the right side of the stage. Perfect view on the guitarist! 8)

Yes, that's indeed unfortunate.
I started almost at the center of the stage, but after the rather long break I ended up a little bit on the left.
I think I did see you though I didn't know it was the PH from the Room at that time. ;)

QuoteYou got any other concerts planned in the near future? Neal Morse in Utrecht perhaps?

No, probably not Neal Morse, but I want to attend at the Terry Bozio concert in Utrecht in May.
And I am going to the Roger Waters show in Ziggo dome, Iron Maiden in Arnhem and Judas Priest in 013, Tilburg.

QuoteYeah the singer impressed me a LOT! What an amazing singer!
Indeed it was a bit short. I've seen the setlist on the mixing desk and I think they planned to do Hocus Pocus (a Focus song) as an encore, but in the end they didn't. And I had a feeling that the piano sound was a bit distorted, probably because of the loudness. Other than that, I think it was amazing!

Hocus Pocus would've been amazing!!  ;D
I didn't notice the piano sound being a bit distorted. I though it was part of the show.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2018-04-03, 11:46:35
Yes, that's indeed unfortunate.
I started almost at the center of the stage, but after the rather long break I ended up a little bit on the left.
I think I did see you though I didn't know it was the PH from the Room at that time. ;)

I was with a colleague of mine. She's kind of hard to overlook, if you get what I mean. ;) Very cool girl though, likes a lot of Prog music that I like. 8)

No, probably not Neal Morse, but I want to attend at the Terry Bozio concert in Utrecht in May.
And I am going to the Roger Waters show in Ziggo dome, Iron Maiden in Arnhem and Judas Priest in 013, Tilburg.

That's a lot. But there's one thing I don't get... No Arena? :o Is that an error? ::)
I'm (almost definitely) going to the 4th of May Arena gig in Zwolle. (Commemoration concert? ;D ) Not at the 12th (they'll play Zoetermeer), because I'm on a little holiday then! *horns*

Hocus Pocus would've been amazing!!  ;D

Yup, someone had written it on the setlist with a pen. Probably just for fun...

I didn't notice the piano sound being a bit distorted. I though it was part of the show.

I think it probably had to do with the place where I was standing. Some sort of doppler effect I guess.

Teunis

Bought the album 'Double Vision' after the gig in Zwolle yesterday evening. One guy after the merch desk, he was busy  8) ;).

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2018-05-05, 21:04:59
Bought the album 'Double Vision' after the gig in Zwolle yesterday evening. One guy after the merch desk, he was busy  8) ;).

Haha! Yes, and he was constantly out of change. Of course I also bought "Double Vision", and I also bought "King's Ransom" and a Visitor T-Shirt.

erik

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2018-05-05, 21:28:57
Haha! Yes, and he was constantly out of change. Of course I also bought "Double Vision", and I also bought "King's Ransom" and a Visitor T-Shirt.
Good to hear you also bought King's Ransom, which is rather brilliant IMHO. *horns* Alchemy had raised the bar pretty high already, but this one is even better.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2018-05-07, 21:57:50
Good to hear you also bought King's Ransom, which is rather brilliant IMHO. *horns* Alchemy had raised the bar pretty high already, but this one is even better.

I haven't heard "Alchemy" yet. In fact, I haven't even started on "She", which was released ten years ago. So I have some catching up to do on Clive Nolan musicals.
Eventually, I'll get there. ;)

erik

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2018-05-08, 16:42:58
I haven't heard "Alchemy" yet. In fact, I haven't even started on "She", which was released ten years ago. So I have some catching up to do on Clive Nolan musicals.
Eventually, I'll get there. ;)
If you are starting now, I'd suggest starting with Alchemy or King's Ransom. Not that She is not good, but the other two are even better and easier to get into. Clive has really grown as a writer of musicals and they have an original story written by Clive, instead of a book adaptation. Don't overlook the two Nolan/Wakeman albums btw, also highly recommended.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

PH

I've updated my signature picture.
It now shows all the 2018 releases that I have bought up till now.
And there's another half year to go...

Some pretty good releases so far!
I'm particularly fond of Umphrey's McGee, which I discovered last month. You have to check this out to believe it. Rock, metal, funk, pop, jazz, it's all there.
And the Neal Morse album with his easy listening songs. Anyone here heard that one?
I'm sure that Spock's Beard is going to end really high as well, no fillers on this one!
My most recent purchase is The Sea Within and we can call this another supergroup! Sounds like a rockier (and at the same time poppier) Flower Kings to me.

Oh, and then there's that album by a very well known band... ;D Arena have released an album that is among their best! I think it's top 3 material. (Will they ever top "The Visitor" or "Contagion"?)

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2018-06-28, 22:42:04
And the Neal Morse album with his easy listening songs. Anyone here heard that one?
Yes, also bought it. I prefer the albums with his band, but I'm playing it so now and then and that's a good sign. You have to be in the mood for it.

Thinking of buying the 'Similitude Of A Dream' live DVD, the new Mystery album and the new 'The Pineapple Thief' album is not far away. Exciting year so far and exciting releases yet to come  8) *horns*.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2018-06-29, 19:10:16
Yes, also bought it. I prefer the albums with his band ...
Yeah me too! And he is going to release another one this year. He should get on with it and post a few samples and promo videos online. He needs to hurry up, we're already halfway! ;D

but I'm playing it so now and then and that's a good sign. You have to be in the mood for it.
It's like the song says:

"I just thought I'd write a song
To tell you all the way I feel
But it ain't no big deal
I just thought I'd lay it down
And try my best to keep it real
Like a little Neil...Young

And I hope it makes you feel just a little lazy
Like you could take a little time and lay your crazy down"

Thinking of buying the 'Similitude Of A Dream' live DVD
You should do that! It's excellent! 8) Just finished watching it yesterday.

the new Mystery album and the new 'The Pineapple Thief' album is not far away. Exciting year so far and exciting releases yet to come  8) *horns*.
Oh yes indeed. I didn't know Mystery was going to release a new album this year. I still have to listen to their "Delusion Rain".
How would you compare "Delusion Rain" to "The World Is A Game"?

I just realised that "The World Is A Game" was released in 2012 and "Delusion Rain" in 2015. Time flies! ::)

And I still want to listen to "Magnolia" and "The Wilderness" by Pineapple Thief. It's hard to get into. But Gavin Harrison makes me feel the need for it.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2018-06-28, 22:42:04
I've updated my signature picture.
It now shows all the 2018 releases that I have bought up till now.
And there's another half year to go...

I don't know if you like it but if you don't mind oriental (read:mid-eastern) influences mixed with metal, you might want to try the new Orphaned Land album Unsung Poets and Dead Messiahs.
To me it's one of the highlights of this year.  8)
There are some growls on the album but mostly it's clean vocals.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2018-07-08, 18:23:26
I don't know if you like it but if you don't mind oriental (read:mid-eastern) influences mixed with metal, you might want to try the new Orphaned Land album Unsung Poets and Dead Messiahs.
To me it's one of the highlights of this year.  8)
There are some growls on the album but mostly it's clean vocals.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've always wanted to check this band out. So let's see where this goes.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2018-06-29, 22:07:37
Oh yes indeed. I didn't know Mystery was going to release a new album this year. I still have to listen to their "Delusion Rain".
How would you compare "Delusion Rain" to "The World Is A Game"?
The new album 'Lies And Butterflies' will be release on the Night Of The Prog Festival this weekend, but worldwide on 1st August. Frankly speaking there's not so much difference in the Mystery albums, at least from 'Beneath The Veil Of Winter's Face', which is my favourite. They're all keyboard-oriented, but also great guitar solos and vocals. Very melodious, you can't go wrong ;). They're all on Spotify. If you have the time ... But that's the great problem nowadays ;).

Quote from: PH
And I still want to listen to "Magnolia" and "The Wilderness" by Pineapple Thief. It's hard to get into. But Gavin Harrison makes me feel the need for it.
'Magnolia' got me into TPT, but 'Your Wilderness' is slightly better I'd say. The new track I heard from the upcoming album is sounding promising!

Teunis

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2018-07-09, 19:30:57
The new album 'Lies And Butterflies' will be release on the Night Of The Prog Festival this weekend, but worldwide on 1st August.
Received a mail from my local record shop that he's got the album. Will be buying it in a moment :).

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2018-07-09, 19:30:57
into TPT, but 'Your Wilderness' is slightly better I'd say. The new track I heard from the upcoming album is sounding promising!

I haven't really listened to the albums after Tightly Unwound but I always really like the albums prior to the latter mentioned.
Especially Variations of a Dream and What We've Sown (basically an album with earlier songs and unused songs) are great.
They lost me a bit after I heard Someone Here is Missing.
Not the Pineapple I used to like. ;)

But we all change.