News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

To fantasize or not to fantasize...

Started by Appelmoes??, Mon, 2005-10-17, 19:36:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you, as a progrock fan, like fantasynovels or not or...

Yes, only fantasy for me!
8 (22.9%)
I like to read books in general.
22 (62.9%)
No fantasy for me!
1 (2.9%)
Books???
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

CygnusX1

Hmmm, does Philip Pulman count?  Apart from that, I'm not really fussed about fantasy novels.  I much prefer hard sci-fi stuff, especially just about anything by Iain Banks (I like his non sci-fi stuff too).

TomSawYa

Each book I read - and I do like reading since my 4th birthday - is a journey in a world of fantasy, because you create images of everything you read.

So if it´s not the daily paper but a novel or a short story, it doesn´t matter if it´s fact or fiction, as long as you´re able to draw a personal image out of it. For me this always happens, whether I read classic literature like Goethe or Shakespeare or medieval novels or biographies or a good thriller or something like - at the moment - "The discovery of slowness" by Sten Nadolny about the life of John Franklin.

So there is one important thing about your TV set: It will never enable you to dream your personal dream, it will give you the story and the image at the same time and your ability to dream your own story will be slowly destroyed. It´s the reason, why one is often so disappointed
watching a film based on a novel read before. That´s why I threw out my TV set...
Changes aren´t permanent - but change is !

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: TomSawYa on Thu, 2005-10-27, 17:36:26

So if it´s not the daily paper but a novel or a short story, it doesn´t matter if it´s fact or fiction, as long as you´re able to draw a personal image out of it. For me this always happens, whether I read classic literature like Goethe or Shakespeare or medieval novels or biographies or a good thriller or something like - at the moment - "The discovery of slowness" by Sten Nadolny about the life of John Franklin.

So there is one important thing about your TV set: It will never enable you to dream your personal dream, it will give you the story and the image at the same time and your ability to dream your own story will be slowly destroyed. It´s the reason, why one is often so disappointed
watching a film based on a novel read before. That´s why I threw out my TV set...

I wish I could throw out my TV but my wife would not allow it.  Anyway I agree with what you say.  One of the reasons I love fantasy books is that in many of them the author has created a different world.  Like you, I visualize this world in my head along with what the character look like, etc.  It is part of the fun of reading.  TV robs you of this pleasure.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Wilford Jr. on Thu, 2005-10-27, 20:48:58
I wish I could throw out my TV but my wife would not allow it. 

The soaps, no doubt... ::)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Fri, 2005-10-28, 18:52:53
The soaps, no doubt... ::)

She watches al types of TV junk though I must say she hasn't sunk low enough to watch those awful reality shows.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Herben

I like to read fantasy books, but also other books so I filled in reading books in general. Do You know the books by Robin Hobb their also very nice, going back to the middle age, about dragons and weird magic like wishdom (to know animals thoughts) and vermogen (sorry is dutch) (to make contact and confuse with other people's minds) very scary sometimes.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2005-12-19, 20:00:36
I like to read fantasy books, but also other books so I filled in reading books in general. Do You know the books by Robin Hobb their also very nice, going back to the middle age, about dragons and weird magic like wishdom (to know animals thoughts) and vermogen (sorry is dutch) (to make contact and confuse with other people's minds) very scary sometimes.
As I stated earlier, I love the farseer trilogy of Robin Hobb :) Almost the best books I've read. LotR and Silmarillion come first ;) I've got to read the other trilogy's, if only I could find the time :(
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-12-19, 20:24:11
As I stated earlier, I love the farseer trilogy of Robin Hobb :) Almost the best books I've read. LotR and Silmarillion come first ;) I've got to read the other trilogy's, if only I could find the time :(
Where did You state that? I have been searching in Your topic couldn't find it sorry. But yes sometimes is writing easier than reading, so sometimes I come with information that's already there, shit happens. Apart from SF books if You like Tolkien, You should also try Historical Romans, like "De Leeuw van Vlaanderen" by Hendrik Conscience is very good, a Love story with in the end a big war the famous "Guldensporenslag". A bad thing about these Historical Romans is the overload of information about clothing, desriptions about the way things look like, as the book "De schaapherder" by JF Oltmans, it's a good story but very overload of descriptions.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2005-12-19, 22:26:12
Where did You state that? I have been searching in Your topic couldn't find it sorry.
Sorry, I probably posted it in the "now reading thread" (or on another forum :-X ) ;)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Herben

Quote from: NijntjeRocks on Tue, 2005-10-25, 19:14:45
Just received a book, or actually 7-in-one ;)

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis.
One of these is coming out in movie-theater half-way december this year 8)
Did You like the film it's a little bit more suitable for kids I suppose, maybe the book is better, no bad filmwork in it I suppose, like the drawing creatures in a normal film how can You spoil a film worse!!.