News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Favourite 'old' prog band.

Started by Moonloop, Wed, 2005-09-14, 16:45:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Three votes allowed - youngsters can vote too..!!

Yes
17 (35.4%)
Pink Floyd
27 (56.3%)
E.L.P.
6 (12.5%)
Camel
7 (14.6%)
Barclay James Harvest
2 (4.2%)
Wishbone Ash
0 (0%)
Focus
0 (0%)
Uriah Heep
5 (10.4%)
Genesis
35 (72.9%)
The Enid
2 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

maddox

Voted for Pink Floyd, Genesis and The Enid. Though if Rush were in the pole, i would have choose Rush instead of The Enid.
Got everything of PF, almost everything of Genesis, and almost everything of The Enid too. Great stuff... :)

MAD.  8)

ps. This is a bold poll... ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

keyboardistmatt

I've got this Genesis thing going on at the moment... It's good! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Vanderwoude

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2005-09-30, 19:03:24
And I have the album 'Calling all stations'. Don't like it as much as the Collins albums.

I like that album very much, but I also love listening to the genesis albums from the peter gabriel era
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

Spad

... Pink Floyd, Yes and EL&P.... Karn Evil 9 is a materpiece... 8)

Unfortunately I voted a little too fast :o, so I saw Camel when was too late to change my choice. Maybe I would have left out EL&P..... probably because their discography is a little discontinous in quality. On the contrary Camel has maintained a very high quality 'till nowadays...... A Nod And A Wink is simply wonderful!!!!

Bye.
Spad.
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Moonloop

Quote from: Spad on Tue, 2005-10-04, 14:06:38
... Pink Floyd, Yes and EL&P.... Karn Evil 9 is a materpiece... 8)

Unfortunately I voted a little too fast :o, so I saw Camel when was too late to change my choice. Maybe I would have left out EL&P..... probably because their discography is a little discontinous in quality. On the contrary Camel has maintained a very high quality 'till nowadays...... A Nod And A Wink is simply wonderful!!!!

Bye.
Spad.

Always nice to see someone appreciative of Camel - especially the latter-day stuff  ;D

Cheers  8)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Spad

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-10-04, 14:56:52
Always nice to see someone appreciative of Camel - especially the latter-day stuff  ;D

Cheers  8)

...yeeahhhh...  :D  :D I prefer by far their latest works, especially, besides A Nod..., Rajaz and Dust And Dreams...... a little less the elder ones.... Snow Goose, Camel........

Do you know if they're planning a new studio-release??? A Nod.. is 3 years old....... I want more!!!!  ;D ;D
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Moonloop

Quote from: Spad on Tue, 2005-10-04, 15:34:48
Do you know if they're planning a new studio-release??? A Nod.. is 3 years old....... I want more!!!!  ;D ;D

I think it's all a bit quiet at the moment as the Camel camp is moving from the US back to the UK. I know there's Volume 2 of the Archives DVD in the pipeline and the reunion sessions by the original 3 members but think that's about it  :)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Cagemember 321

This is for PH:

Is a Genesis reunion in the works? Former guitarist Steve Hackett says it is indeed. Hackett, who was in the band in from 1971 to 1977, has said that overtures are being made about getting the progressive rock group back together at some point: "There's something afoot. There's a move afoot to put us together again. At some point there's a reformation mooted. It's rare that I get a call from Genesis management, very rare these days. So maybe something will happen, you know."
Hackett said the reunion would include original singer Peter Gabriel, drummer-vocalist Phil Collins, guitarist-bassist Mike Rutherford, and keyboardist Tony Banks. Nothing specific has been arranged yet, however.

Genesis shut down in 1998 after the commercial failure of Calling All Stations, the album Rutherford and Banks recorded with a new singer after Collins left the band.

Genesis recently released a three-CD retrospective, Genesis Platinum Collection, and a DVD compilation called Genesis Video Show.

(Source: icebergradio.com)

Cagemember 321

I miss Eloy, King Crimson and Jethro Tull in this Poll, maybe Kraftwerk too.

What is an "old" Progband? Marillion formed in the late 70´s/very early 80´s - more than 20 years ago.
Aren´t they "old"???

PH

Quote from: Cagemember 321 on Fri, 2005-10-07, 21:56:15
This is for PH:

Is a Genesis reunion in the works? Former guitarist Steve Hackett says it is indeed. Hackett, who was in the band in from 1971 to 1977, has said that overtures are being made about getting the progressive rock group back together at some point: "There's something afoot. There's a move afoot to put us together again. At some point there's a reformation mooted. It's rare that I get a call from Genesis management, very rare these days. So maybe something will happen, you know."
Hackett said the reunion would include original singer Peter Gabriel, drummer-vocalist Phil Collins, guitarist-bassist Mike Rutherford, and keyboardist Tony Banks. Nothing specific has been arranged yet, however.

Genesis shut down in 1998 after the commercial failure of Calling All Stations, the album Rutherford and Banks recorded with a new singer after Collins left the band.

Genesis recently released a three-CD retrospective, Genesis Platinum Collection, and a DVD compilation called Genesis Video Show.

(Source: icebergradio.com)

I've never heard about that (I've always been on the look-out though).
Is this real?

I hope so. :o
How old is that source?

Herben

Where is King Crimson and Rush? I only voted Uriah Heep, I don't really like the other ones that were in the list, I don't know Camel (maybe a big shame, I never get in touch with their music, don't see it in the music shops and difficult to find on the internet. But I knew the name, but don't know what they're playing. Pink floyd is very weird music, don't know what to think of it I listened to the album with the cow on it to Alan Psychedelic Breakfast I only heard kitchen noises there, very interesting ahum. But I really like Uriah Heep like the songs Gypsy and July Morning great songs. From Yes I only know Owner of a lonely heart, seems more popular music to me, don't really like that song very much did they make more?
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

willowroolz

Iggy

Yes, Floyd and Genesis for me

Nicky007

For me as an old proggie, there are quite a number of groups and musicians missing on that list, most notably Beatles (the first prog group ever), Led Zeppelin, Cream, Queen, Santana, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Rush, Marillion, Styx, and Journey.

Virtually nobody of my generation knows about The Enid (how did they get onto the list?), and Uriah Heep I don't consider as prog.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-04-22, 21:35:24For me as an old proggie, there are quite a number of groups and musicians missing on that list, most notably Beatles (the first prog group ever)

How many prog albums did they create?

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-04-22, 21:35:24
For me as an old proggie, there are quite a number of groups and musicians missing on that list, most notably Beatles (the first prog group ever), Led Zeppelin, Cream, Queen, Santana, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Rush, Marillion, Styx, and Journey.

Funny since I was listening to Journey's Greatest Hits this morning and I was thinking that, at a few exceptions, this is way too cheezy AOR, even for me. And believe me, I have nothing against AOR and I will prove it again in another thread in a few seconds  ;D

So, Nicky, when it comes to old prog, quoting Journey and not Kansas is what I would call in French a sacrilège  >:(

Nicky007

Kansas, of course  *horns*

Yeah, I don't really know Journey. I just had the impression that they were prog, but honestly dunno.

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2008-04-23, 10:40:53
... Journey's Greatest Hits ... way too cheezy AOR ...

This doesnt quite make sense, Bups  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-04-23, 08:55:18
How many prog albums did they [Beatles] create?

Iac from Rubber Soul on, every Beatles album was a revolution in rock.

Beatles were probably more prog than any group since. Man, all the styles that they created and brought into rock, and all the philosophy. Tellya this was the thinking man's rock in those days. Everybody else was singing about won and lost love; Beatles were singing about realising your inner potentials, finding divinity, helping the poor and needy (they were themselves working class youth), and OK, also looove, but in a lovely way.

My fave Beatles album is Abbey Road. It's replete with musical and philosophical ideas. A good starting point for the Beatles Adventure  *horns*

Here's Steve Vrana's review on Amazon.com:

"For years I accepted on faith that the best album ever made was Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. While that album remains a stunning example of the summer of love, the true trinity of the Beatles oeuvre are Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road - with the nod going to Abbey Road as the Beatles' final studio album.

There is not a false note on this album. It kicks off with a forceful vocal from John Lennon on Come Together, which is balanced by the tenderness of Something, one of George Harrison's best songs (and only Beatles A-side single contribution). With Because Lennon wrote one of the loveliest melodies of his career. Even the silliness of McCartney's Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Ringo Starr's child-like Octopus's Garden exude charm and warmth from a band that was on the verge of fragmenting forever and taking some of the innocence of the sixties with them.

And then there's the Side-2 suite (tracks 9-16) which still makes for powerful listening thirty years later. Sir Paul McCartney summed it all up in The End: 'And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.' And so the curtain rang down on the best rock 'n' roll band in our lifetime.

ESSENTIAL"

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Sorry guys, pressed the wrong button. Cap, could you please remove this post ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-04-23, 11:33:43Iac from Rubber Soul on, every Beatles album was a revolution in rock.
Revolution doesn't always mean progression/progressive. Well, it depends on what you mean with progression/progressive and in what way/which direction it progresses.
I always thought they were pop. With the exception of a few albums (which I've never heard by the way).

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-04-23, 11:33:43Beatles were probably more prog than any group since. Man, all the styles that they created and brought into rock, and all the philosophy. Tellya this was the thinking man's rock in those days. Everybody else was singing about won and lost love; Beatles were singing about realising your inner potentials, finding divinity, helping the poor and needy (they were themselves working class youth), and OK, also looove, but in a lovely way.
Seriously? Can someone else confirm this?

Nicky007

Paco, man, you can't be a serious proggie without having absorbed the Beatles classic albums. That's like saying that you're well-versed in classical music without having listened properly to Bach, or that you're a drama buff without having studied Shakespeare.

Prog or not, these are the guys who made rock serious. Before them it was all pop.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

I know that some older people really love the Beatles and that it was part of their musical journey, but to me they sound like old popmusic.
And we're talking about popmusic that was better than today's popmusic, indeed.

I mean, ABBA made very cool songs. They were pop not prog, but not like pop today. Prog and pop weren't as much two divided worlds as they are today. Many pop bands (NOTE: 'pop bands' instead of 'pop artist', this is a crucial difference!) made the odd prog song or even prog album, but that doesn't make them progressive...
And there was also jazz, blues and rock-'n'-roll.
Next time you tell me that Elvis was prog...

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-04-23, 15:39:53Prog or not, these are the guys who made rock serious.

I can only agree.

Nicky007

Paco, you see it most clearly in the lyrics:  Abba and Elvis had silly lyrics, while Beatles had interesting lyrics, if not always philosophical, at least puzzling.

And let's face it:  What distinguishes proggies from other rockers is that proggies ponder upon lyrics  8)  (and are more intelligent, but I didnt say that)  ;D

Let's leave jazz and blues out of it; they have their own dynamics.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-04-23, 17:42:27Paco, you see it most clearly in the lyrics:  Abba and Elvis had silly lyrics, while Beatles had interesting lyrics, if not always philosophical, at least puzzling.

So a New Age type of music could be prog as long as the lyrics are philosophical... ::) I know you love poetry, Nicky, but you have to admit that in prog the singing serves the music and not the other way round (like with pop music).

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-04-23, 17:42:27And let's face it:  What distinguishes proggies from other rockers is that proggies ponder upon lyrics  8)  (and are more intelligent, but I didnt say that)  ;D

Song structures... you forgot song structures, my friend. Prog is not limited to the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-syndrome.
And you already mentioned the word dynamics. Let's use it again here. In Prog, the dynamics are very important. Pop music is often static, while prog is organic and dynamic. The music is more important than the lyrics, since there's also brilliant instrumental prog.
Heck, I might even say that the lyrics are probably amongst the most unimportant factors of what makes prog prog.

For the third time: the MUSIC itself is what distinguishes proggies from other rockers. And better lyrics are of course a natural outcome. (Also because prog artists often seem to be more intelligent than your normal daily rockstar ;D)

-Paco

Nicky007

OK Paco, this is getting a bit convoluted, but if you're saying that the lyrics are less important than the (instrumental) music, that would surprise me.

E.g. what would Contagion be without all the fabulous mythological references ?

To me iac, the lyrics are an essential part of the music.

I like instrumental pieces here and there, but I rarely go for an entire album without lyrics.

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-04-23, 19:03:34
So a New Age type of music could be prog as long as the lyrics are philosophical... ::)

Yes, e.g. Jon and Vangelis.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can