News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

ATTACKS ON LONDON

Started by keyboardistmatt, Thu, 2005-07-07, 16:41:37

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

Hi,
I expect we are all aware of the attacks on London this morning.  I'm OK.  If there is anybody else in London today, drop us a line to let us know you are Ok.

Cheers,
Matt.
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

creme anglais

glad you are ok........I spent much of the morning attempting to get hold of a friend, who it turned out was on the King's Cross train........he is ok, but I am now a bit numb by the whole thing, it's an emotional time.
I hope that all your loved ones are ok, and well and safe

such a terrible shock, just when we were all so happy and celebrating our Olympic triumph.

gelert

The first bit of humour that I heard was that the French planted the bombs to go off one day before the Olympic vote...

...but forgot about British Summer Time....!

No, but seriously, I'm angry, having read this, just posted on the Internet:

"In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.

Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused.

God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."

My response:

What The [peeep] have we, the Joe Voters, got to do with this, [peeep]...?
Wake-up and smell the coffee...!
It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Meanwhile, if any of you 'ole cowardly mujahideen boys wanna come 'round my gaff and 'ave a word, I'll [edit: do bad things to you] ...so cummon' son, bring it on...if you fink yer 'ard enuff...!

Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.
No it [peeep] isn't, [peeep]. All you've managed to do is [peeep] us off. And that, mate, is the start of your downfall.

Please, Peter, feel free to edit-out the expletives that you consider to be unnecessary...

...but I stand by this statement.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

creme anglais

I have no difficulty in filling in your "peep"s...........
The Koran is such a peaceful book, why why why do sick fanatics believe they can justify disgusting crimes by using the name of their god?

this is just twisted behaviour. How can we believe what they say? how can we believe what our policians say?  this is so saddening.

CAx

Peter

Guys, it's just no use shouting at those guys. They'll laugh about it because they feel superior. Take the main phrase from the responisbility claim video after the Madrid assault:

"We love death, but you love life"

Those have been brainwashed since their birth into thinking that they will be rewarded in afterlife for doing these things. And us loving outr lives makes us vulnerable to the fear they want to seed.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Simtere

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2005-07-07, 20:54:02
Guys, it's just no use shouting at those guys. They'll laugh about it because they feel superior. Take the main phrase from the responisbility claim video after the Madrid assault:

"We love death, but you love life"

Those have been brainwashed since their birth into thinking that they will be rewarded in afterlife for doing these things. And us loving outr lives makes us vulnerable to the fear they want to seed.

While I agree with the gist of the previous post I feel it is also pointless using words like "brainwashed", they could (and probably do) say the same about us and our values.  While not supporting these acts in any way, sadly the only way it's ever going to stop (if it ever will stop) is for us to get into the mindset of these people and understand their views (while not necessarily agreeing with them).  That does NOT mean bowing to demands of others, it just means taking a common sense approach to the worlds problems and not getting emotional when things go wrong.

I actually have a far harder job understanding the stance taken by George Bush in thinking its ok to pollute the atmosphere and destroy the planet as long as the US economy does not suffer, or the fact the G8 have not made poverty history, than I have in understanding why certain groups may feel opressed by the western world. 

We need a stop to head in the sand politics if the world is ever going to change for the better, and frankly I cannot see a political will in any country to make that happen.

Well, it's a point of view, and if we believe in democracy we are all entitled to hold a point of view without getting shot down in flames for it -  you don't have to agree with it after all. 

erik

I'm am angry and sad...

I was living in Madrid when the attacks occurred there. It's happened again...

My thoughts are with the British.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Peter

Quote from: Simtere on Fri, 2005-07-08, 10:17:10and if we believe in democracy we are all entitled to hold a point of view without getting shot down in flames for it -  you don't have to agree with it after all. 

That would be really nice if them extremists would stop in front of you and say "Em, OK, tell me what you have to say before I throw the switch." They aren't interested in democracy or even what you think. They hold themselves superior because of their belief.

As much as I agree with you that Bush's ways are 180 degrees wrong direction, I'm as sad to tell you "Democracy will not protect you from these guys." Quite in contrast, they will use it to serve their own purposes, only to throw it down afterwards. You hear fear in what I say? Yes, you're right. This is a hopeless situation.

Simtere

Quote from: Peter on Fri, 2005-07-08, 12:59:45
That would be really nice if them extremists would stop in front of you and say "Em, OK, tell me what you have to say before I throw the switch." They aren't interested in democracy or even what you think. They hold themselves superior because of their belief.

As much as I agree with you that Bush's ways are 180 degrees wrong direction, I'm as sad to tell you "Democracy will not protect you from these guys." Quite in contrast, they will use it to serve their own purposes, only to throw it down afterwards. You hear fear in what I say? Yes, you're right. This is a hopeless situation.

I did not mean to suggest democracy would protect us from "these guys" .... I was actually asking not to be ripped apart for my opinions by other readers of this forum!  (although I tend to think the people here ARE a good deal more civilised than on some discussion groups that I have encountered) ;)  I don't believe such a thing as democracy actually exists anywhere in the world - it's a nice idea but, like any ideology, in practice it does not work.

As for it being a 'hopeless' situation, you may be right.  It's very hard to win against someone who has "belief" as you will never shake them from it and you cannot stop more from taking up the cause.  I never suggested arguing with them, I just tried to suggest to see what's likely to happen next you do need to try and understand them (not simply say they are barbarians - which i know YOU did not say).

Sometimes I feel deeply ashamed of the fact I live on this planet at all.  Surrounded by the beauty of creation all we can do is make a mess of it all!

Stop the world ... I want to get off!

Peter

Quote from: Simtere on Fri, 2005-07-08, 14:57:32
Sometimes I feel deeply ashamed of the fact I live on this planet at all.  Surrounded by the beauty of creation all we can do is make a mess of it all!

Stop the world ... I want to get off!

That's a common notion among those who have the ability to take a step back and look at the world. Too bad, as it could really be such a nice place to live. All I seem to be able to do is try to live my life as rich as it can get, not money-wise, but with all the values that give life a meaning. And to not cross my ways with fanatics!s

gelert

Quote from: Peter on Fri, 2005-07-08, 15:31:21
And to not cross my ways with fanatics!s

I've calmed down a little from last night (cheers Peter for the edits, BTW)...

But then you post this...?

WTF are you doing, running a Prog Army forum...  ;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

If this thread hadn't been started, I'd probably never posted anything like this...

gelert

You and me both...

1000% ack.

Xanxtuary

Although I'm no longer in London, I did work there for 14 years and last Thursday's explosions reminded me of the IRA's campaign  of bombing and fake bomb scares when I was working there.  Not a pleasant time to live through and having it happen again is a grim reminder that low life scum (I won't glamorise them by calling them terrorists) still pervade our everyday lives.

But life in London will go on, as in New York, Belfast, Jerusalem, and many other cities around the world.  By continuing to live our lives, we are not giving in to the scum who perpetrate these horrific attacks.  It's a shame that it takes incidents like these to bring out the best in people, ie, community spirit, strangers helping the injured ones, etc.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Simtere

I can think of a lot of things I could say in response to the discussion here, but despite living in a so called democracy it's probably best not to.

To be honest I think it best we try and avoid issues of politics and religion on this forum, that way we are less likely to fall out with one another. 

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Simtere on Mon, 2005-07-11, 10:48:42
To be honest I think it best we try and avoid issues of politics and religion on this forum, that way we are less likely to fall out with one another.

This is how this thread started...

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Thu, 2005-07-07, 16:41:37
Hi,
I expect we are all aware of the attacks on London this morning.  I'm OK.  If there is anybody else in London today, drop us a line to let us know you are Ok.

Cheers,
Matt.
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt