News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

D-Link Ethernet Router

Started by Xanxtuary, Sun, 2005-07-17, 15:14:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanxtuary

I just wondered if any of you lot out there use a D-Link router to connect two computers and share a broadband connection.

Me and Hogweed share the broadband but it only seems to stay connected properly whilst BOTH our computers are on. If he tries to go online without me being on, he has to revert to just using the broadband cable modem connected directly to his computer. I'm scared to turn mine off at the moment in case the connection drops while he's updating his website!

His computer is the No 1 on the router and mine is the No 2. We both have Athlon AMD processors, both running Windows XP and our computers were both set up as "gamer" machines.

I've been on the D-Link website and read all the FAQs and troubleshooting hints, in fact I printed them out for future reference. I'm not very experienced at this networking lark and would welcome any further hints/advice/experiences from other users.

Thanks!
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

kmorse

Is your network "ad-hoc" or infrastructure?  if it's ad hoc and you turn off one of the computers, you might be losing the connection because of that
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

gelert

I've got a Linksys WAP router, connected to a D-Link DSL-300G+ modem.

The router has 3 'pooters connected to it, one on wireless. We can turn-on & -off any or all of the 'pooters without losing the broadband connection, although, because we're on broadband, we find no need to disconnect from the network on a regular basis.
And we're all using different Firewalls (which is something that can royally f**k-up the best intentions...! Especially my ZoneAlarm Pro...!)

What does "switch-off" the D-Link Modem, is when I've powered EVERYTHING down, and then re-powered (not often, as I'm UPS'ed to the hilt, but when I've had to mod the system). At this point, I re-power everything, and boot and then reboot XP Pro TWICE to get it to talk to the modem (once to get XP to detect the LAN, and then again for XP to detect ADSL). Inconvenient, but not a major problem in the great scheme of things.

You don't mention whether you're running a static or dynamic IP, or who your ISP is.

However, I had TERRIBLE grief in the beginning, trying to get D-Link to communicate with Virgin.net. It kept dropping-out, or not even registering. In the end, I searched Google for forum advice, and this, together with trial-and-error, got me these settings:

Connection Type: pppoa
Encapsulation: LLC
User Name: <yours>
Password: <yours>
Authentication: chap
Connect On Demand: enabled
Idle Time: 0 minutes
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

On the router, I've got WAN set to Obtain IP Automatically

Block WAN Request:      Enable  
Multicast Pass Through:      Enable
IPSec Pass Through:      Enable
PPTP Pass Through:      Enable
Remote Management:       Disable  
Remote Upgrade:       Disable  
MTU:       Disable  

Hope that this may help. Good luck.

Now, all that I've got to do is sort out my wireless keyboard, and the purple-plug-aerial battery charger...LOL

Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

Hmmm, well 'routers', as they're sold to consumers, and which attach to cable/DSL lines are supposed to keep up their connection all the time, supposed one has a "flatrate" ("always-on", whatever). Most can be configured to not keep up the connection for plans that contain a certain amount of traffic or time. You might want to look for any settings in the configuration that indicate anything related to the amount of uptime for a connection... hth...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

gelert

Peter's just made me think...

Switchers / Routers don't actually route ADSL. They switch (either/or) or route (mix) Local Area Network communications to / from a target device (e.g. server, ADSL Modem etc.)
Peter's correct, in that the modem is constantly "on-line".
It sounds as if your LAN communications are being interupted, due to PCs being powered-down.

Have you got a router-c/w-modem, or just a router / switcher, and you're relying on Hogweed's PC's built-in ADSL modem as the "target"...?

If the latter is the case, you'll need to buy a stand-alone modem (£25-100, depending on your technical requirements e.g. < or > 2Mbps), to go between your router and the 'phone-line.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Xanxtuary

The IP is meant to be dynamic, but we've tried it both ways.  Blueyonder (Telewest) is the ISP.  We have WAN set to obtain IP automatically.

Morseman, what do you mean by "ad-hoc"?  You have to remember you're talking to a female of the species here, and one who's not very conversant in technical terms.

Both mine and Hogweed's computers were custom built, if that helps. 

Thanks for all your advice.  At the moment it seems to ... no I'd better not say that, don't want to tempt fate, do we?

kmorse

ad hoc means you have a computer with an internet connection and no router. "infrastructure" means you have a router in your network. I'm pretty certain that if you have an ad hoc network, if the primary computer (the one with the internet connection) is turned off, then the others cannot connect, either.

"infrastructure" means that you have a router, or wireless router that handles sending out the signals itself. It is connected to your wifi modem, and also to your computer(s) via wired or wireless connection.

here's a link (one of many) that explains it

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

some of this might presume you're using Windows XP, which you may or may not be doing, but the idea is pretty universal, regardless of the operating system

Peter

Sorry, kmorse, we're not even talking about wireless....

kmorse

Peter,

You're right. I presumed it was wifi but it's not.

Keith

Xanxtuary

I guess there's a lot I left out!  Nope, it's not wireless, as I type I can see two white cables and a pretty blue one leading out of the posterior of the router (the aforementioned D-Link DI-604 the european version).  The blue cable connects the cable modem (surfboard) to the router and the two white cables connect Hogweed's and my computers to the router.  So going by what Morseman has said, it's infrastructured (I think!).

Both running Windows XP Home Edition, Hoggie has Service Pack 2 and mine has Service Pack 1 because mine is a year older than his.

As you can tell, since I'm posting on this site, it is working at the moment!

But thanks for all your help anyway!

gelert

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Mon, 2005-07-18, 20:26:00
....as I type I can see two white cables and a pretty blue one leading out of the posterior of the router

Ah got it....

Do the cables disappear when you stop typing...?

That might be the cause of the problem.

Solution...keep typing.

8)

BTW, SP1 & SP2 HATE eachother with avengence...and the SP2 security-updates from MS, collide hugely with existing SP1 security.

Age of 'pooter is irrelevant...download SP2 Free-Of-Charge from Microsoft's website...and the problem may disappear...

Peter

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-07-18, 20:34:32
Ah got it....
Do the cables disappear when you stop typing...?
*smack*

ROFL

Peter

Well, Xanxa, please contact someone you know and who's got some networking skills; this can't be analyzed or even fixed remotely...

Xanxtuary

Well Peter and others, thanks for trying to help.

I do have a number for someone I can contact but hopefully as things are OK we may not need it.

Hmm ... cables disappearing when I stop typing?  What about cables that wrap themselves around the neck of a person who's trying to make a dizzy girlie feel even more foolish?   ;D LOL!!!

gelert

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Mon, 2005-07-18, 21:00:36

What about cables that wrap themselves around the neck of a person who's trying to make a dizzy girlie feel even more foolish?   ;D LOL!!!

I'm using wireless, thank god...!  ;D

Xanxtuary

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-07-19, 18:41:47
I'm using wireless, thank god...!  ;D

Ah ... never underestimate the lengths a cable will go to, especially when maligned so cruelly ...

gelert

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Tue, 2005-07-19, 21:55:28
Ah ... never underestimate the lengths a cable will go to, especially when maligned so cruelly ...

A sort-of-a-cross-between "Roadie-Style" "electric string", and the ubiquitous "blamed-for-everything" "elastic tape-measure"  then...?