News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nolan-Barrett accoustic gigs - what's the setlist?

Started by Rafal, Mon, 2005-06-13, 10:45:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafal

Hi,
I've just bought two tickets for the Nolan-Barrett accoustic set in Gdynia, Poland (June 25th). I wonder what you're going to play? Mostly Pendragon ('Acoustically challenged' tracks perhaps?) or maybe some more of Nolan music (Arena, Nolan-Wakeman?). Also: will there be just the two of you or perhaps  some backup female singer (Tina Riley)? I would love to bring some more of my friends and family to the gig, and for this I would have to know more details. As for me - I'am enough of a fan to enjoy whatever you're going to present. Seeing forward to the concert. Greetings.
Rafal

Clive

we will be playing a mixture of Pendragon, Shadowland, Stranger... even a Nolan/Wakeman song. Should be fun!  :)
It's just Nick and myself, so we'll be glad of the support.
In case anyone else in Poland (or for that matter wherever!) is interested...

25 june 2005, Gdynia, Poklad, tickets: www.poklad.pl
26 june 2005, Bydgoszcz, Kuznia, tickets: www.klubkuznia.pl
27 june 2005, Warszawa, Progresja, tickets: www.progresja.com
28 june 2005, Katowice, Teatr Wyspianskiego, as a support to Gordon Haskell,
tickets: www.metalopolis.pl

shows are at 19.00 generally

Moonloop

The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Clive

The gig in Katowice is hopefully being made into a DVD  :)

Moonloop

Excellent news  ;D

I'd be happy to pay a few ££ more though to have it as a CD/DVD package as (with a family) I find it far easier to listen to a CD than to find a spare hour or so of free TV time to watch a DVD..!!!  ;)

POM

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-06-14, 12:44:54
Excellent news  ;D

I'd be happy to pay a few ££ more though to have it as a CD/DVD package as (with a family) I find it far easier to listen to a CD than to find a spare hour or so of free TV time to watch a DVD..!!!  ;)

:o You're expecting much! ........... But I agree with your comment  ;D

Moonloop

Quote from: POM on Tue, 2005-06-14, 13:31:34
:o You're expecting much! ........... But I agree with your comment  ;D

Well, you know what they say..."If you don't ask, you don't get" !!  ;D

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-06-14, 15:19:25
Well, you know what they say..."If you don't ask, you don't get" !!  ;D

Well, I asked for free beer once...

....and was directed to a non-existent railway station in a Northern Town, on a promise of free beer...

....and I still didn't "get"....!

::)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

gelert

BTW, the answer to the Topic Question "Nolan-Barrett accoustic gigs - what's the setlist?"

It's a piece of paper with writing on, designed to be an aide-memoire for the performers, so that they (the performers) know what the next piece of material due to be performed as part of their live repertoire is...

...ah, shoot. My English teacher has just "turned-in-his-grave", whilst reminding me that I shouldn't end a sentence with a "wa'sisname"...

So I guess that free beer is "off"...

...er, yet again.

:'(
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-06-14, 20:38:29
Well, I asked for free beer once...

....and was directed to a non-existent railway station in a Northern Town, on a promise of free beer...

....and I still didn't "get"....!

::)

Tell you what, PM me your address and I'll send you one  ;D

and that'll be "can of" rather than "pint of" for obvious delivery-related reasons  :D

(you'll need your own glass)

;)

Moonloop

POM

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-06-15, 08:47:54
Tell you what, PM me your address and I'll send you one  ;D

and that'll be "can of" rather than "pint of" for obvious delivery-related reasons  :D

(you'll need your own glass)

;)

Can do that too...  as Moonloop said in another post, we've got pretty good beer in Belgium!  ::)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-06-14, 12:44:54
Excellent news  ;D

Spot on! :)

Seconded! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

creme anglais

for those of you interested there are now some snaps of the Gdynia gig on the pendragon website!

www.pendragon.mu

they sure look like they were ..........er...........having fun!!!!

beautiful venue btw!!!!

looking forward to the DVD!!!

CAx

JJ II

Well,... to get back to the question: what did they play??

Can anyone who was there enlighten us? Maybe Clive or Nick himself....?

Moonloop

Quote from: creme anglais on Sun, 2005-07-03, 22:33:00

they sure look like they were ..........er...........having fun!!!!

CAx

Mustn't have been a prog set then  ;)

gelert

Irony, irony....
Everybody's got it irony...

Damn, I never could get the hang of those "infamy" jokes...

Teunis

A certain 'Janusz', a Polish man who visited the gig, wrote:

"Well,I can say,it is true,it was wonderful.In PokÅ,ad-Gdynia.You can see this place www.poklad.pl
Nick said"I'm playing here and what I see the boat makes port in pub 
For me especially was: Arena - (Dont't forget to) Breathe,Crying for help,something from Shadowland and Hound of The Baskerville.
Pendragon:The Walls of Babylon,And We'll Go Hunting Deer,Paintbox,The King of The Castle,Alaska and - OK. - everything.Monty Python's songs too.It was very fany 
Clive said that he finished with Jack Daniel's whiskey but now he prefer polish vodka "Krupnik",and someone gave hin bottle of it.He tasted it right now 
After the gig another autographs,my friend took me another pictures with Clive and NickIt was my second metting with Clive and Nick in Poland."

So, you have an impression what they played. Now it's waiting for the DVD.
Copyrights: Pendragon forum  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Rafal

The tracks that Clive and Nick played in Gdynia were:

PENDRAGON: Walls of Babylon, Man of Nomadic Traits, Paintbox, King of the Castle, Two Roads ('Believe' album to be relesed in August), Alaska, And We'll Go Hunting Dee, Nostradamus + some I can't remember
ARENA: Don't Forget to Breathe, extracts from Crying for Help + one more  I can't remember
NOLAN / WAKEMAN: Shadows of the Fate (Hound)
SHADOWLAND: Mindgames + some more  I can't remember,
STRANGERS ON THE TRAIN: Lightshow

Frankly, I went to the club only to see Clive's and Nick's faces. I expected the gig to rely heavily on the slow-paced melancholic tracks. I was in for a shock. It was the most energetic, passionate accoustic concert I have ever heard. Lots of beautiful acoustic guitar and Roland-emulated piano solos and duets. Nice sound quality. Nick was singing with a strength and ease as usual. But it was the quality of Clive's vocal leads that surprised me.  He might have been a bit tense but he delivered the songs (Shadowland, some of Arena) in such a dramatic way that I actually wish he would sing more. I believe he would do better than Nick with Don't Forget to Breathe. Much as I enjoy Nick's singing, it is not exactly menacing and that's precisely what Don't Forget calls for. But I only mention this to emphasize how strong Clive's singing was on that evening. Another thing: believe it or not but Clive is much slimmer now. My wife and her sister were in agreement that he's pretty handsome, especially when he gets wild behind his keyboard... And I have to admit that I'm happy with him looking healthier, as I would like Clive to 'achieve immortality by simply not dying' and keep composing forever. And perhaps that is an apt summary of the whole evening in Poklad Club, Gdynia. I would love to read Clive's impressions though. I think he was  a bit surprised with the club being packed and the audience being far from accidental pub guests. Especially considered, how little promotion the gig got. So, did you like it too, Clive?

Rafal

Simtere

Quote from: Rafal on Tue, 2005-07-05, 12:42:43
Another thing: believe it or not but Clive is much slimmer now.

Why should this be hard to believe?  What are you saying exactly?   :O ;D

Rafal

I simply mean that Clive Nolan looks now much younger than five years ago, when I saw him live for the first time. And for me it is quite a surprise, because you usually expect people to become older with time, don't you? Perhaps keyboard gods are an exception to this rule. Anyway, my intention was to compliment him and his performance. I guess my post was awkward. I certainly didn't want to offence Clive (or anyone else). And I feel sorry if I did. But I certainly don't regret having informed you that Gdynia gig was absolutely brilliant.
Rafal

Simtere

Quote from: Rafal on Tue, 2005-07-12, 12:39:35
I simply mean that Clive Nolan looks now much younger than five years ago, when I saw him live for the first time. And for me it is quite a surprise, because you usually expect people to become older with time, don't you? Perhaps keyboard gods are an exception to this rule. Anyway, my intention was to compliment him and his performance. I guess my post was awkward. I certainly didn't want to offence Clive (or anyone else). And I feel sorry if I did. But I certainly don't regret having informed you that Gdynia gig was absolutely brilliant.
Rafal

Apologies Rafal .... my post was intended simply as a piece of quirky British humor.  It's easy for some of us to forget that many of posters here do not write with English as their first language.  I really don't think any offence was caused at all by your original post, and I'm sorry if I made you think otherwise.  Keep posting!!

creme anglais

There is news about the release of the Nolan/Barrett dvd on the pendragon website..........

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

CAx

Teunis

Yes, but I'm not such an acoustic lover. I have the album 'Acoustically Challenged' of Pendragon. Though it's a good album, I'm not playing it often. It's too 'softy', if you know what I mean. Prefer the plugged stuff :-\.

Teunis

Anyone who has (ordered) the DVD of Nolan & Barrett? How is it?