News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

GFT

Started by Moonloop, Fri, 2005-06-10, 08:42:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

Does anyone here apart from myself and Gelert use (UK based mail order) GFT..??

Was rather distressed to get the new (slimline) catalogue earlier this week and read the notes from Malcolm Parker that sales are at an all time low and that the business is "barely sustainable". I truely hope they don't go out of business, it would be criminal for a company which has released over 150 prog CDs on their own label to go under. They've certainly been responsible for most of my prog discoveries over the years, especially 10 years or so ago when I was really indulging in new music.

I know I've used them less over the last few years but that's in part due to having a family now and generally spending less on music although the ease and cheapness of the likes of CD-WOW & Play.com obviously take some of my purchases away from GFT as well.

Despite the costs though (and they're still cheaper than most places, especially if you pay by cash and get the discounts), I'm going to make more of an effort to by from them from now on as I'd be gutted if they went under.

Hope other people will try to support them too.

Cheers

Andy
;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

keyboardistmatt

Now THAT'S a great shame... I reckon if we all go to GFT for CDs, we could help Malcolm out.
I have used GFT, (that's where I got my first ArenA album from), and I've brought various stuff from the Cyclops label as well.

Come on everybody!! We dont want GFT to disappear!! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Proglady

I never used GFT. I buy my CDs at www.empire-music.de, or www.justforkicks.de Well, I think the problem is, that more and more people are bying their CDs through ebay to save money, or even worse they are trying to find someones who is willing to copy the music. :(

Appelmoes??

I have a GFT-afval-box at home. Groente, Fruit en Tuin Afval (vegetable, fruit and garden trash :P)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

Top Topic, Loopy...

I will always go to Malc for "wierd-and-wonderful" prog...

...and if he definitely can't get the product, only then will I resort to shopping elsewhere...

And to add to that, a warning...
Read the latest from Pendragon re: hooky-copies of their CDs available very cheap from non-bona fide distributors....

Malc has stopped stocking / offering product from record-labels that are incapable of delivering goods on-time and intact. I understand this fully, as I, the ultimate end-user and ultimately the bloke-wot-pays-the-money (to the band, or to the distributor e.g. GFT), gets MASSIVELY pissed-off when I have budgeted for a CD by XYZ  released at the end of February this year rather than buy an already-released product, is royally shafted ...because the promised release is not on-time (artwork, royalties, disaster-in-the-studio, etc., I comprehend, but 3 months late....?)
And BTW, I'm still awaiting this delivery of this CD...just as Malc is....!

But maybe that's enough about "Malc The Distributor"...

What about "Malc The Record Label"....?

Twelfth Night remasters...?
Haze remasters...?

And the unheard-of bands that he had enough confidence in, to fund & print / press their product...

Grace, Sphere, Citizen Cain, Salem Hill, GLD...

The bottom line is that, if i can't get it from Malc, I go on-line and buy it from elsewhere (from sites such as Proglady has suggested).

But without Malc, some of these bands / products wouldn't exist, let alone be available for purchase from Proglady's recommended websites, or anywhere...!

Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Moonloop

Indeed. Thanks for the backup Gelert.

Also add :

Mostly Autumn
Pineapple Thief
Land's End
Vulgar Unicorn
Transcience
Fruitcake

to the list of Malc's bands.

;D

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Moonloop on Mon, 2005-06-13, 09:10:49
Indeed. Thanks for the backup Gelert.

Also add :

Mostly Autumn
Pineapple Thief
Land's End
Vulgar Unicorn
Transcience
Fruitcake

to the list of Malc's bands.

;D

Mostly Autumn are really cool!  I saw them on their Passengers tour when they 'popped down' to a small venue in Poole, Dorset to play a show.  It was great!  :)

Moonloop

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-06-13, 11:17:04
Mostly Autumn are really cool!  I saw them on their Passengers tour when they 'popped down' to a small venue in Poole, Dorset to play a show.  It was great!  :)

If you haven't already got it, I'd certainly recommend the new album  ;D

keyboardistmatt

Thanx Loopy! I'll look into that... :)

Moonloop

GFT have it at £11 + post or £9.50 freepost if you send cash  ;D

The official/commercial release is 4/7.

;D

gelert

I think that that is cash or postal order...

Is Cheque slightly more, Loopy...?

And if you're a lazy-arsed bastard such as myself, you give Malc a CC number, and then the goods arrive.

Either way, I think that the "Campaign For Malc" is underway, under the helm of Loopy...and I just hope that Clive, et al, wouldn't mind this webspace being used for this purpose.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-06-14, 20:17:17
Either way, I think that the "Campaign For Malc" is underway, under the helm of Loopy...and I just hope that Clive, et al, wouldn't mind this webspace being used for this purpose.

I don't think they'd mind... It's certainly possible that Clive, Peter, or somebody actually knows Malcolm... :)

Simtere

Might I just suggest that while I fully endorse the support for GFT could we all please still buy our Arena albums direct from the band.  I am sure Clive will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that sales made direct from source mean that more money goes back to the band and consequently the chances are better that the band will then be financially able to make more music in the future.

Just a thought ..... and NO, I do not stand to gain anything wherever you buy your CDs from! :)

Moonloop

Quote from: Simtere on Wed, 2005-06-15, 00:54:22
Might I just suggest that while I fully endorse the support for GFT could we all please still buy our Arena albums direct from the band.  I am sure Clive will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that sales made direct from source mean that more money goes back to the band and consequently the chances are better that the band will then be financially able to make more music in the future.

Just a thought ..... and NO, I do not stand to gain anything wherever you buy your CDs from! :)

Yeah, agreed, I do make a point of trying to order CDs direct from bands with their own label as, as you say, they make more money that way. Curiously though, some bands sell direct far dearer than what you can buy elsewhere - eg the latest Jadis was £11 from GFT but £13.99 + p&p direct from themselves so in that instance I go with where I can save most money  ;D (which goes towards further CDs....)  ;)

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-06-14, 20:17:17
I think that that is cash or postal order...

Correct. The thing with postal orders though is that any savings you make are virtually wiped out by the charges the Post Office make for buying postal orders..!!!!!! Easier to stick with recorded delivery cash (which is a risk even so).  :)

I've started sending £50 at a time and Malc can then let me know when it runs out  :D

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Simtere on Wed, 2005-06-15, 00:54:22

Yep.  That's a good point.  I always buy my Arena stuff from Verglas, because the are my favorite band.  However, I don't make special visits to websites, etc..., for albums.  As long as I'm getting genuine new copies of albums from known places (HMV, Amazon <new only>, GFT, etc...) I'm happy.  I don't buy dodgy stuff, or have things CDR'd or whatever, because the artists do not benefit.  There is far too much of this stuff going on, and it isn't good!
:)