News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

I think I should get into Fish solo too. But where to start?

Today I listened to Lo Moon's self titled debut. Nice and relaxed music. 8)

Also:
Ayreon - "Into The Electric Castle", the 2018 remix. Including the instrumental bonus discs. Great!
Preparing myself for the gig in September! Indeed, I have tickets!! ;D

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2018-10-26, 23:32:35

At the beginning ?

It is a nice CD Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors.

erik

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2018-10-26, 23:32:35

If you are starting from scratch then indeed start with "Vigil" like Iggy suggested. If you want to explore further, I would not go for a chronological approach and rather try:
- Feast of Consequences and 13th Star, his latest two albums that are very fine indeed
- Then move on to Raingods With Zippos (Plague of Ghosts!!), Sunsets On Empire, Field Of Crows, Internal Exile
- If you still want more, then finish with Fellini Days, Suits and the covers album Songs From The Mirror

Ayreon - "Into The Electric Castle", the 2018 remix. Including the instrumental bonus discs. Great!
Preparing myself for the gig in September! Indeed, I have tickets!! ;D
That's great, will be a marvellous show I'm sure, I envy you :)
Still my favourite Ayreon album! With Fish well cast as the "Highlander"  ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

jp: Knight Area - Heaven And Beyond
np: Anathema - Internal Landscapes (Best Of 2008-2018)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

erik

NP It Bites - Live in London - Astoria 1988

Before played: Aragon - Rocking Horse (And Other Short Stories From The Past). Love the epic title track which I got to know from a neoprog compilation/introduction tape an uncle gave me way back.. The band offers this album as a free download on Bandcamp while they are working on a sequel, recommended.

https://aragon3.bandcamp.com/album/rocking-horse-and-other-short-stories

And for Paco, but you probably already knew this, from Fish' Facebook:
QuoteMet up with old friend Ayreon backstage tonight in Utrecht . I'm singing with him on the ' Electric Castle' shows next September in Tilburg. Great to catch up after so long #progmagazine #classicrock. And yes he is a lot taller than me [/unquote]
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

jp: Evership - Evership II
np: Wolverine - Cold Light Of Monday

PH

[discovery mode on]

Wow... wow, just wow...

Now playing:
Argos - "Unidentified Dying Objects"

I can't believe my ears! Wow! (again)

Apparently this is a German band, but I know that because I looked them up. They sound very British. There's a lot going on here.
Canterbury music (things like Caravan) and classic Prog. I hear Van Der Graaf Generator, but also The Tangent and a little bit of Kaipa sometimes. And of course there's things like Genesis etc.
Andy Tillison (of The Tangent) plays keys on one of the tracks, and there's clarinet and saxophones by Marek Arnold (Damanek, United Progressive Fraternity) on some songs.

I have this on repeat right now. Half way through my second listen.
Highly recommended if you like any of the mentioned bands!

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2018-11-03, 20:36:36
jp: Evership - Evership II

Also listened to that album yesterday.
I was pleasantly surprised by their debut and whenever I play it, I am amazed by the singer and the proggy compositions, and the hard rock feel (which I think is cleverly done and unique in this way). It's not of the same level as several more popular bands, but it has a certain charm. I really like it.
This second album is a continuation. It doesn't provoke the same reaction in me, but that can easily be explained because of expectations. I'll definitely listen to it again and buy their album when I can! I remember that you weren't that much impressed by the debut, so I'm wondering what it was that made you listen to this one and, more importantly, what do you think about it?

Soup - "Remedies"
This has a post rock feel to it sometimes. Reminds me a little bit of Anathema in some places. I tried listening to it months ago, but I guess I was in the wrong mindset. But you, Teunis, seemed to like this band, so I tried again, and now, today, it really clicked! 8)
Beautiful stuff! How would you describe this music Teunis?

Teunis

Quote from: PH
I remember that you weren't that much impressed by the debut, so I'm wondering what it was that made you listen to this one and, more importantly, what do you think about it?
Your memory is fine ;). Indeed not impressed then, but wanted to hear it after reading the positive reviews and comparisons with other bands I like. It's certainly not bad, but I'm not impressed. Will listen to it again, but there's so many music I want to listen to at the moment ...

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2018-11-05, 21:39:44
Soup - "Remedies"
This has a post rock feel to it sometimes. Reminds me a little bit of Anathema in some places. I tried listening to it months ago, but I guess I was in the wrong mindset. But you, Teunis, seemed to like this band, so I tried again, and now, today, it really clicked! 8)
Beautiful stuff! How would you describe this music Teunis?
Hard to describe their music. You have to be in the mood for it like e.g. Gazpacho. It's just relaxing music with beautiful arrangements and solos. Although Anathema and Gazpacho come to mind, Soup certainly keep their own unique signature in my opinion. I also recommend you to listen to their previous album 'The Beauty Of Our Youth', goosebumps 8).

jp: Toto - Turn Back
np: Peter Gee - The Bible

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2018-11-06, 19:09:34
Hard to describe their music. You have to be in the mood for it like e.g. Gazpacho. It's just relaxing music with beautiful arrangements and solos. Although Anathema and Gazpacho come to mind, Soup certainly keep their own unique signature in my opinion.
Gazpacho sounds like Soup. That makes sense.

I also recommend you to listen to their previous album 'The Beauty Of Our Youth', goosebumps 8).

Thank you. I'll make sure to listen to that one! Really enjoyed "Remedies".

np: Peter Gee - The Bible

We listen to a lot of the same albums lately. I also listened to this. I must say that I didn't take real notice. But it was not bad. And I really really like the album artwork.
I think I'm not really a Pendragon fan. I like the occasional song. The album "Masquerade Overture" is overall really good, and I also like most of "Believe", but I lost track of them (never heard their latest album). So I've never tried any of the solo output by the band members much.

Now playing:
Argos - "Unidentified Dying Objects"
I already said it reminds me of Genesis. It reminds me especially of "Trick Of The Tail" with quirky Peter Gabriel vocals. And a strong Canterbury feel.

PH

Just played:
Janison Edge - "The Services Of Mary Goode"

A good month ago I got a hold of a second hand copy of this album and I have listened to it a lot for the past few weeks.
It is a mighty fine Neo-Prog album, with Ian Salmon (Arena, Shadowland) on guitars, Mike Varty (Credo, Landmarq) on keyboards and Dave Wagstaffe (Landmarq) on drums.
I think this can be called a 'one hit wonder'. It's the only album by this band and it could be the best Neo-Prog album you haven't heard. It's very much in the same league as the before mentioned bands. Highly recommended here in the Shattered Room!

Now listening to:
Damanek - "In Flight"

Finally been able to buy this. (For some reason shops didn't have it until 2 november, while the release date was supposed to be 5 october.)
First listen now and it's unmistakably Damanek. :) Beautiful melodies, a very cool mix of different musical styles, nice arrangements and a very nice and warm production.
I'm now half way through the album (the last minute of The Crossing) and I think Guy Manning and the others have surpassed themselves with this album. As far as I can tell it's even proggier than the first album (which I also love).

By the way, this fellow Marek Arnold really amazes me. His contributions to this (and the previous) album are not to be overlooked. With his saxophone and clarinet he paints beautiful colors on the compositions, which makes it really special. And apparently he also did on the latest Southern Empire and Argos albums, where it also stood out to me.

Wow, a lot of cool releases this year!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2018-11-06, 22:05:25
We listen to a lot of the same albums lately. I also listened to this. I must say that I didn't take real notice. But it was not bad. And I really really like the album artwork.
I'm not too fond of all those spoken words, the music is melodic and beautiful. I own two albums of Peter Gee: 'East Of Eden' and 'The Spiritual World'.

Quote from: PH
I think I'm not really a Pendragon fan. I like the occasional song. The album "Masquerade Overture" is overall really good, and I also like most of "Believe", but I lost track of them (never heard their latest album). So I've never tried any of the solo output by the band members much.
I do still buy all their albums, but frankly speaking I don't find myself playing the music very often. Except 'The Window Of Life' which is my favourite. But lately they have been using tricks like 'yodel' and 'rap', which I didn't find that successfull. What's next, growls? ;) 

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2018-11-07, 10:49:05

Highly recommended here in the Shattered Room!
Thanks, will listen to it. Know it by name but haven't heard the music.

jp: Huis - Neither In Heaven
np: Soup - The Beauty Of Our Youth

Teunis

jp: Ayreon - Universal Migrator Part 2: Flight Of The Migrator  *horns*
np: Janison Edge - The Birth Of Mary Goode (On YT; nice music indeed, but the vocals don't appeal to me unfortunately)

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2018-11-07, 19:29:55
I'm not too fond of all those spoken words, the music is melodic and beautiful. I own two albums of Peter Gee: 'East Of Eden' and 'The Spiritual World'.

Yes, I know what you mean. The spoken words take you out of the song. But I'll try again. "Jabberwocky" and "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" also have spoken words and I like those albums a lot.

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2018-11-07, 19:29:55
I do still buy all their albums, but frankly speaking I don't find myself playing the music very often. Except 'The Window Of Life' which is my favourite. But lately they have been using tricks like 'yodel' and 'rap', which I didn't find that successfull. What's next, growls? ;) 

To me, it seems like they're trying to appeal to a very broad audience. I am a bit curious about "The Window Of Life". Never got around to listen to that one.

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2018-11-08, 18:59:17
np: Janison Edge - The Birth Of Mary Goode (On YT; nice music indeed, but the vocals don't appeal to me unfortunately)

I think she sounds a bit like a softer Christina Booth (of Magenta).

erik

NP Silhouette - The World Is Flat And Other Alternative Facts [bandcamp stream]

Preparing for tonight's gig in the Parkvilla Theater in Alphen.

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2018-11-07, 10:49:05
Just played:
Thanks for reminding me Paco, I keep forgetting about this album that should also be in my collection!

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2018-11-06, 22:05:25
I am a big fan and have and love all their albums. When they had taken their "classic period" (The World and onwards) and sound as far as they could with Not Of This World it was time for a change and they tried new things, and succesfully in my humble opinion. I really like the new phase as well and their latest Men Who Climb Mountains is a real grower. But Window Of Life is still my favourite.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Quote from: erik on Fri, 2018-11-09, 08:35:11
NP Silhouette - The World Is Flat And Other Alternative Facts [bandcamp stream]

Preparing for tonight's gig in the Parkvilla Theater in Alphen.

Have fun!

Thanks for reminding me Paco, I keep forgetting about this album that should also be in my collection!

You're welcome! I think it's a really good album. In fact, If I would make a top 10 of 1998 albums now, this one would certainly be in it. Possibly even in the top five. "The Visitor" and "Into The Electric Castle" are also there.

I am a big fan and have and love all their albums. When they had taken their "classic period" (The World and onwards) and sound as far as they could with Not Of This World it was time for a change and they tried new things, and succesfully in my humble opinion. I really like the new phase as well and their latest Men Who Climb Mountains is a real grower. But Window Of Life is still my favourite.

Hmm... I have the albums "The Masquerade Overture", "Believe", "Pure" and "Passion", so from this list it would be most logical to try out "Not Of This World" and "Men Who Climb Mountains" next. But until then I still have a lot of work to do with "Pure" and "Passion". Like I said, both are a bit unknown to me.

Now playing:
Pendragon - "Passion"

So let's see where this goes.

Teunis

jp: Antimatter - Black Market Enlightenment (Released today, heard it on Spotify. Needs more listenings, not excited yet ;))
np: Overhead - Haydenspark (To be released next week, but it's on Progstreaming.nl already. Happy music, like it!)

Teunis

Muse - Simulation Theory

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2018-11-10, 19:30:35
Muse - Simulation Theory

Again, I also played that one. I think it's a big improvement over "Drones". I really like the 80s sounds. To me, after only one listen to be honest, it's a return to form.

Also listened to:
Dilemma - "Random Acts Of Liberation"
With Colin Leijenaar (live drummer for Neal Morse's European band some years ago) and also Declan Burke (Frost*) on vocals.

PH

Just listened to:
Galahad - "Seas Of Change"

There's a song on there (Smoke) that reminds me of Rammstein's Ohne Dich. For some reason that really puts me off. I had the same with a song by Riverside (don't know which one, but it was from "Love, Fear And The Time Machine") that has a bit that sounded sooo much like a certain song by Porcupine Tree that it totally takes me out of the experience.
Galahad have released an EP with a cover of Rammstein's Mein Herz Brennt in 2014, so in that way it makes sense.
Come to think of it, it's actually pretty interesting and funny: musically Rammstein and Galahad are very far apart. I would never say that they sound alike. Yet I do hear the influences. Even in Stuart's vocal delivery, there's a hint of Till Lindeman in there. (But most of the time he sounds like a blend of Peter Nicholls and Fish. Not bad!) And something in the keyboards too, smells faintly of Rammstein. Not just in that one song, but overall.
Am I imagining things here? Or does it make sense?

Still need to give it more spins, and I already like it more than the other Galahad albums that I have (I also have "Battle Scars" and "Beyond The Realms Of Euphoria"). But I think I'll never be a big fan. But there's no need for that. :)

Now listening to:
Perfect Beings - "Vier"

I like this!

PH

Soup - "Remedies"

This is really beautiful! I love how the album ends in an epic way, with this beautiful melody.
In retrospect, I would have liked to put this album in my top ten of 2017. It's really nice.

PH

I'm 'forcing' myself a bit to listen to all the 2018 albums I've purchased. And I'm trying to listening to them in release date order.
Right now it's:

Dukes Of The Orient - "Dukes Of The Orient"

First two songs are nice, but not that special in my opinion. And to me, the low point is probably the third song. Last month I even said that the album started to feel a bit dull to me. Much of this has to do with the constant same key and same tempo over the album.
I think the album does get a bit better in the second half though.
Time Waits For No One sounds a bit like a mix between Sole Survivor ("Asia") and Midnight ("Silent Nation") in my memory, but I think it's a good one!
Also A Sorrow's Crown and Fourth Of July give me that wonderful AOR feeling.
Give Another Reason sounds like something special. I still need to listen to this song a few more times to totally get it. It's kinda proggy. And it's ten minutes?!?! By the way, the average of the song length on this album lies around 6-7 minutes, which is pretty long for Asia standards.

This album is probably not gonna end up very high in my end of year list (there's so much good stuff released this year), but there's still a lot to enjoy on this album for sure!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2018-11-10, 20:00:57
Again, I also played that one. I think it's a big improvement over "Drones". I really like the 80s sounds. To me, after only one listen to be honest, it's a return to form.
+1, don't like 'Drones' that much either :-\ . First impression of the new album is okay, except for a few tracks.

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2018-11-11, 16:17:08
Soup - "Remedies"

This is really beautiful! I love how the album ends in an epic way, with this beautiful melody.
In retrospect, I would have liked to put this album in my top ten of 2017. It's really nice.
Yeah, also discovered it in 2018, too late for my 2017 yearlist.

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2018-11-11, 19:55:09
Dukes Of The Orient - "Dukes Of The Orient"

This album is probably not gonna end up very high in my end of year list (there's so much good stuff released this year), but there's still a lot to enjoy on this album for sure!
For me a dream came true as I find it a 'crossover' between Asia featuring John Payne and Rocket Scientists, two bands I really love. But you're right about the number of great releases this year. I wonder if it will enter my top 5. Only Time Will Tell, to quote an other Asia (with John Wetton) song :).

I've been playing:
Steve Thorne - Island Of The Imbeciles
Toto - Tambu

now listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio, as usual on Sunday evenings

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2018-11-10, 19:30:35
Muse - Simulation Theory

I really liked Drones, which was quite a rough ride, but after a first listen, I like the new one as well.
Saw them 'live' in the cinima a while back, which was weird to say the least.
Sound was crappy, the movie went black from time to time... had a refund, but wasn't really happy with the result.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Soen - Lykaia (Revisited)