News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Jones

Jethro Tull Live - Bursting Out.

One of the all-time classic live albums to my ears, up there with the Made In Japans of this world.
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-06-28, 11:09:18
From what I'v understood, Paradox is supposed to be quite good. Iac it ended up on my SL somehow   ::) ;D
Something that springs to mind: if you like the Stride album then I'd say it's a given that Royal Hunt will hit the spot.
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-06-28, 13:05:27

One of the all-time classic live albums to my ears, up there with the Made In Japans of this world.

Couldn't agree more.
Might give it a blast later.

Iggy

The fourth legacy by Kamelot

Steve Jones

Jethro Tull - Live at Hammersmith '84.

I'm giving the Tull live sets a bit of a bashing at the moment.  I have this strange urge to stand on one leg whilst doing the housework.  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Epica - The Divine Conspiracy

*horns* *horns* *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2008-06-28, 16:28:54
Epica - The Divine Conspiracy

*horns* *horns* *horns*

I saw Epica support Symphony X last year and they were very good.

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-06-28, 17:39:36
I saw Epica support Symphony X last year and they were very good.

I really like them. Recently i've put together a mp3 disc with the entire The Embrace That Smothers suite. Marvellous and stunning at the same time.  *horns*

NP> Coldplay - Life In Technicolor

Steve Jones

Jethro Tull - Never Too Old To Rock & Roll.

A bootleg, this one, but a particularly fine example.  I know bootlegs are naughty-bad-evil, but I think I've put enough coins in Mr Anderson's coffers over the years that he'll not be too worried about my odd little lapse.  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Teunis

Satellite - Evening Games

2. Never Never  8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2008-06-28, 18:19:00
I really like them. Recently i've put together a mp3 disc with the entire The Embrace That Smothers suite. Marvellous and stunning at the same time.  *horns*

NP> Coldplay - Life In Technicolor

Is the lead singer still sick? I heard that Simone had a debilitating desease recently which is really sad.

Iggy

Tonight I will be mostly playing pendragon.

Once I can sleep again it will definitely cut my listening time down  ;D

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-06-29, 00:29:37
Once I can sleep again it will definitely cut my listening time down  ;D
I'm told that's the best time to catch up on James Blunt  ;)

NP: Rocket Scientists - Revolution Road.  Includes an awesome version of the S.H.A.D.O. Theme from Gerry Anderson's UFO series.  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

White Willow - Signal to Noise.
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-06-28, 13:05:27

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-06-28, 14:23:33
Couldn't agree more. Might give it a blast later.

Interesting Amazon review by John S. Ryan "Scott Ryan" (Silver Lake, OH), August 30, 2004 (my boldface, nb):

"The concert I never attended

I don't have all that many regrets in my life (in part because I don't regret as many things as I probably should). One of the regrets I _do_ have is that I never got to see this particular Tull lineup in concert.

It wasn't because I didn't know who they were. I had all of their albums and they were one of my favorite bands. It's just that when the great Anderson-Barre-Glascock-Evan-Palmer-Barlow lineup went kerplooey, I was fifteen years old and hadn't really started attending concerts yet.

I've seen Tull several times since then, and the shows have all been good; as long as Anderson and Barre are there, Tull will be worth hearing. But the particular magic of this particular assemblage isn't going to be recaptured.

This album (now CD) is about as close as it's now possible to come. And what a marvelous time capsule it is. Even aside from its value as a distant second to the concert experience I never had, it's surely up there with Frank Zappa's _Roxy and Elsewhere_ as one of the great live albums of all time. It's even better now that it's been remastered.

Enough from me. If you've read this far, you don't need me to sell it to you; just buy it."

Looks like this album has to be added to my (already burgeoning) SL.  Uncle Rocky !!! .........

Thanks, guys.

Strangely, I wasnt all that tuned in to Tull in my youth. Guess I was too spacy (my Mom would say too "spicy" (all that spiced tobacco)) to dig their more folksy jazzy style. But today I see them as one of the great groups of that time.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-06-29, 11:50:41
Looks like this album has to be added to my (already burgeoning) SL.  Uncle Rocky !!! .........

Thanks, guys.

Strangely, I wasnt all that tuned in to Tull in my youth. Guess I was too spacy (my Mom would say too "spicy" (all that spiced tobacco)) to dig their more folksy jazzy style. But today I see them as one of the great groups of that time.

I was fortunate to catch them with this (but not the only!) classic line-up.  Mr Barlow was/is a phenomenal drummer and Brittledick (John Glasscock) was a great bass-player - especially visually as he was good at 'striking the right pose' when on stage.  Sadly he died not long after.  :(

I'm not given to writing reviews (wordy or otherwise) as I'd sooner be listening to music, but I did jot a few lines on this album: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1TVLS091DTJC6/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm  :-[
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-06-29, 12:37:56
I'm not given to writing reviews (wordy or otherwise) as I'd sooner be listening to music, but I did jot a few lines on this album: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1TVLS091DTJC6/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm  :-[

There's no contradiction there to my mind:  I always listen to music while I write my reviews and comments - in fact I always listen to music when I can get away with it - arent you guys like that too ?

Fine review, Stevie, I gave you a Yes too (maybe you should put in the missing 'r')  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-06-29, 13:25:45
There's no contradiction there to my mind:  I always listen to music while I write my reviews and comments - in fact I always listen to music when I can get away with it - arent you guys like that too ?

Fine review, Stevie, I gave you a Yes too (maybe you should put in the missing 'r')  :)

Nicky.

Yes I like to listen to music whenever possible even at work which is problematical since I spend a lot of time on the phone.   >:(

Appelmoes??

Blind Guardian - Nightfall on Middle-Earth 8)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-06-29, 13:25:45

Well, I tend to manage 8 to 12 hours of music per day - at least.  8)  However, time when I can give the music 100% of my attention is actually somewhat limited, so I guard this rather jealously.  :)

NP: Jethro Tull - Roots to Branches.
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-06-29, 00:27:58
Is the lead singer still sick? I heard that Simone had a debilitating desease recently which is really sad.

I've no idea actually. I know that Simone is singing again (which is good since in a week from now i will see the Rock Opera Equilibrio live in concert with Simone) but if the male singer is sick or not is beyond my knowledge.

NP> Demians - Building An Empire

Stunning.

Steve Jones

Buggles - The Age of Plastic.

Yes, it's largely cheesey, disposable pap, but in the broader sense it's a Yes-related artefact for the collection and was only 2.98 from Amazon.  It'll get filed away and forgotten soon, but it's interesting to compare the versions of 'Video Killed' and 'Clean, Clean' with the Bruce Woolley ones - plus I can hear the odd idea that resurfaced on the Yes 'Drama' album.

And now I need to get my prog head back on, before I get stoned to death!  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Phideaux - Chupacabras

Bupie

You guys put me in the mood for a bit of Tull.

NP Jethro Tull - She said she was a dancer

The Butterfly Man

NP....................

Frost* - Experiments In Mass Appeal

*horns* *horns* *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...