News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

I don't think Rhapsody (Of Fire) will be my favourite band. I actually do like the classical (barok) influences.

Just finished playing Flying Colors' "Second Nature"

I love working at 6:00 in the morning. No colleagues here and plenty of time to listen to an album. And getting paid in the meantime.

Teunis

Gazpacho - Demon
Asia - Alpha

jp: Rocket Scientists - Earthbound
np: Pendragon - The Jewel (remastered)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2015-08-08, 09:26:59
I love working at 6:00 in the morning. No colleagues here and plenty of time to listen to an album. And getting paid in the meantime.

I hate working at 6:00 in the morning.  :o
It means that I have to get up at about 4:15.

That's not normal in my book.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Well, today I had to start again at 5:45 in the morning. (was up at 5:00, so that's manageable). Listened to Opeth's "Pale Communion". What a really nice album that is!

And now I'm listening to Spock's Beard's "Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep" which is also very nice!
I think the last few years Prog might be back in full force, possibly even better than in the 70s(?).

Bupie

I read that a new Spock's Beard album is already out.

NP Toto - XIV

At last. Bought in on my first day back in France for holidays. Still a work in progress but not overly impressed so far though, apart from the very effective Orphan, I am already enjoying Great Expectations and The Little Things.

Teunis

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2015-08-11, 18:34:53
NP Toto - XIV

At last. Bought in on my first day back in France for holidays. Still a work in progress but not overly impressed so far though, apart from the very effective Orphan, I am already enjoying Great Expectations and The Little Things.
It will get better with every listening. I noticed that songs that I didn't like at the beginning, are turning out as favourites. Never thought my current favourite album 'Kingdom Of Desire' would get a contender. XIV might top that album 8). 'Burn' (melodie gets stuck in the head) and 'Unknown Soldier' are so beautiful!

pp: Gazpacho - Tick Tock
np: Rocket Scientists - Brutal Architecture

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2015-08-11, 18:34:53
I read that a new Spock's Beard album is already out.

Next week is the release date. I'm very curious, BN&DS is a really good album. Among their best I'd say.

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2015-08-11, 18:49:31
pp: Gazpacho - Tick Tock

So when are they finally reissueing this album? I thought they'd release it this year...

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2015-08-11, 16:10:16
Well, today I had to start again at 5:45 in the morning. (was up at 5:00, so that's manageable). Listened to Opeth's "Pale Communion". What a really nice album that is!

Agree with that last part.
Terrific album.
I'm not discussing about work in the morning before 0700 a.m.
A man's gotta have his principles. ;)

QuoteAnd now I'm listening to Spock's Beard's "Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep" which is also very nice!
I think the last few years Prog might be back in full force, possibly even better than in the 70s(?).

Is it me or does Ted's voice suits better with Spock's than with Enchant?
Don't get me wrong, I really like Enchant, especially the last few albums, but The Great Divide is genuine Enchant but I'd rather wish it was sung by a different singer than Ted.

NP> Marillion ~ Afraid of Sunlight

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2015-08-11, 20:47:48

So when are they finally reissueing this album? I thought they'd release it this year...

I hope so, since my copy has been trashed by a certain kid with the initials C.A.
That kid would be my son.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2015-08-11, 20:47:48
I'm wondering that too. In January I read that the remaster was done (with a bonus song). Now there's absolute silence. Busy with their new album 'Molok' I guess  ::). I'll let you know if I read anything about it.

pp: Toto - Falling In Between Live
jp: Pendragon - The World
np: Rocket Scientists - Oblivion Days *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2015-08-02, 21:25:09
Yes - "Heaven & Earth"

Nicky, it has been a week since you first listened to this album. What do you think of it now?

Yeah, now it's more like a month.

I really like that album, it's wonderful all the way thru, another great Yes classic. So much creativity, melody, great singing and playing.

It's simply incredible that Yes can continue to make fabulous music. I can't think of any other group that for so long has created the one classic after the other.

Jon II keeps a nice balance. The music is distinctly Yes, and he sings similar to Jon I, but still he adds something excitingly new, and he's definitely not a clone singer, nor tries to resemble Jon, it just all seems natural to him, and the result feels authentic.

Bravo, Yes *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Yes, the only complaint I have, is that it's all mid-tempo. The guys are not the youngest around anymore, so all is forgiven. But still, there are some parts that would count as being a little more up-tempo, if it wasn't for the keys... The keyboard parts sound very slow to me. Downes should practice a bit more.
The album is not 'up there' with the classics for me. The classics being the 70s albums. But it's definitely one of the best of 1990-2015.

Nicky007

To me, Yes only start getting real exciting with "Going for the One". This album constituted a revolution in music, and it remains the central Yes album to me, altho not my most-listened-to Yes album any longer.

If Yes had stopped with Relayer, they would have been an excellent, somewhat quaint, progrock group on the lines of King Crimson and Hawkwind, but not the revolutionary force that they've been thru all these years.

After Tormato, they had a dip until Talk, which is an amazing album too, and all ensuing albums, apart from Open Your Eyes (real lousy) and Magnification, are superb - if ya ask me ;)

Floyd made a similar turn: The early Floyd albums up to Ummagumma were more quaint than exciting. Then came Atom Heart Mother, which had some sort of magic. Then with Meddle, Floyd too became a revolutionary force *horns*

They of course lost it with Roger Waters' departure. He took the flame with him. Floyd became more lounge than revolution ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2015-08-11, 16:10:16

Paxi, you have to consider that your conception of "prog" is limited by your scope:

To me prog was very much alive in the 00's, upheld by acts like Arena, Yes, Dream Theater, Opeth, Bal-Sagoth, Outworld, Jeff Loomis, Arcturus, and Keep of Kalessin.

The last five of these groundbreaking acts you basically don't know.

In the 10's, Bal-Sagoth and Outworld were gone, on hiatus I hope, Arena and Opeth I feel declined, the other groups are still groundbreaking, and Saturnian released their terrific Dimensions. This one you don't either know.

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

Lonely Robot - Please Come Home

Teunis

Teunis

pp: Muse - The Resistance (brilliant album *horns*)
jp: Agent Fresco - Destrier (Heavy prog from Iceland, fresh music like Von Hertzen Brothers. Needs more listenings on Allstreaming.nl, but not bad at all.)
np: Katatonia - Night Is The New Day (Like 'Dead End Kings', curious what the album(s) before sound like.)

maddox

Teunis

np: Von Hertzen Brothers - New Day Rising (Prefer 'Nine Lives', but nevertheless a decent album indeed.)

Teunis

pp: Rocket Scientists - Revolution Road
jp: Muse - Drones
np: Agent Fresco - Destrier

Nicky007

NP  Leprous:  The Congregation  (on repeat)  *horns*

On second listen, yesterday, I could hear that there was something exceptional about this album. I've had it on repeat ever since. WOW !!!

Paxi, Thanx for prodding me with this amazing group :)

You make some grandiose statements, but you have some good taste too :P

First of all the singer, Einar Solberg: He's incredible, I can only think of Kelly Sundown Carpenter and Matt Bellamy to compare. The way he with ease covers expanses of sound and holds intensity is breathtaking.

Then the drummer, amazing too, does tribal, metal, churning, spicing, all convincingly.

All musicians do their bits to create a swirling, dramatic, melodic and varied soundscape.

There's emotion and drama like Muse, churning guitars like U2, searing vocals like Outworld.

Also reminds me of the fabulous Arcane Roots (Thanx again, Cap :) ), both the singing and rhythms. Check out this band (too) guys ;)

I think even Teunis could join in here: It's busy and heavy, but very symphonic and melodic, and only a bit of shout, no growl. Think Muse, a pinch heavier.

Leprous were long near-pantheon with me, with Coal, Bilateral, and Poppy, but with The Congregation they smash straight into my pantheon 8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2015-08-16, 19:13:57

On second listen, yesterday, I could hear that there was something exceptional about this album. I've had it on repeat ever since. WOW !!!

Paxi, Thanx for prodding me with this amazing group :)

You make some grandiose statements, but you have some good taste too :P

First of all the singer, Einar Solberg: He's incredible, I can only think of Kelly Sundown Carpenter and Matt Bellamy to compare. The way he with ease covers expanses of sound and holds intensity is breathtaking.

The other four musicians do their bits in creating a swirling, dramatic, melodic and varied soundscape.

There's emotion and drama like Muse, churning guitars like U2, searing vocals like Outworld.

I think even Teunis could join in here: It's busy and heavy, but very symphonic and melodic, and only a bit of shout, no growl. Think Muse, a pinch heavier.

Leprous were long near-pantheon with me, with Coal, Bilateral, and Poppy, but with The Congregation they smash straight into my pantheon 8)

- Nicky

Great band! :)

NP> Ayreon ~ The Human Equation

PH

Great to see that you like them Nicky!
I think "Coal" is better, but then again, I didn't give "The Congregation" as much time. And "Coal" was a real eye opener for me, really love that album. Anticipation for the next album was sky high, and disappointment was inevitable.

NP:
Leprous - "The Congregation"

I do actually appreciate the heavy second bit of Rewind.

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2015-08-16, 19:13:57

I noticed it's on Allstreaming.nl. I'll give it a try tomorrow. If I do remember correctly I've tried it before and pushed the 'stop' button way before the end. I promise I'll listen till the end. Symphonic and melodic sounds like music to my ears ;).

jp: Moon Safari - Himlabacken Vol. 1
np: Traumhaus - Das Geheimnis (To get into the right mood for my trip to Germany on wednesday 8).)