News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-01-29, 11:28:56
It's easy, Bups: Kamelot are (very much) prog, and Avantasia aint.

Avantasia is stuff we'v heard a million times before, while Kamelot take us around a bend all the time - and that's what prog is about  ;)
I couldn't disagree more, Nicky, but I am pretty sure that you have never listened to a complete Avantasia album while I only know one Kamelot album so far so I guess that it is useless to argue :P

NP Arena - Pepper's Ghost

funkster

So Funky, how about soon giving KoK a run. I'm sure you'l go for'm. Both Reptilian and Kolossus are awesome.

Just don't tell your family that you want some KoK  ;D

I otoh will soon get Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini. It's gotten highly praised in all the music sites that I frequent, and seems to have a bit the same mood as KoK .....  8)

Right, and bloody good group  *horns*

Nicky.
[/quote]

Not sure about KOK Nick as the extreme metal/black thing is not my cup of tea at the moment. More of a Nevermore/DT/Shadow Gallery/Kamelot thing going on at my house  *horns*

Any suggestions of that ilk would be greatfully received

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Sat, 2011-01-29, 15:36:22
I am pretty sure that you have never listened to a complete Avantasia album

I actually have The Scarecrow, and I'v run it thru a coupl'o times. I also just YouTubed Avantasia.

I'm not making any value judgements, but Avantasia and Kamelot are two very different kettles of fish  :)

Quote from: funkster on Sat, 2011-01-29, 17:19:56
More of a Nevermore/DT/Shadow Gallery/Kamelot thing going on at my house  *horns*

Any suggestions of that ilk would be gratefully received

I would think that that's quite enuff for a while, Funky (all four groups pantheon with me)  8)

Re the Kamelot discussion: It's my impression that many Kamelot fans havent discovered how varied Kamelot are. If you listen to all their albums from Dominion on (skip Eternity, their first), you really travel thru surprisingly multiform soundscapes, and all albums (minus Eternity) are fulfilling in one way or the other  *horns*

NP  KoK:  Kolossus

For some reason I'm stuck on this album  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

NP  Enslaved:  Axioma Ethica Odini

Absolutely stellar  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Enslaved came close to being pantheon with me with their two previous albums, Ruun (2006) and Vertebrae (2008). With Axioma they'v raised the bar even further, and now they'r definitely pantheon  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-01-29, 17:37:59
I actually have The Scarecrow, and I'v run it thru a coupl'o times. I also just YouTubed Avantasia.

I'm not making any value judgements, but Avantasia and Kamelot are two very different kettles of fish  :)
OK, Nicky, just don't throw the Scarecrow to the can immediately, it has more substance than what people could think based on the sole videoclip of Lost In Space.

NP Molly Hatchet - No Guts ... No Glory
... and no great rediscovery, I think it will rejoin the shelf where it stands for a few years.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2011-01-31, 10:52:02
OK, Nicky, just don't throw the Scarecrow to the can immediately

Not plannin to  :)

NP  Zero Hour:  Metamorphosis  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

NP Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera

I am really struggling with this one. Too much of everything. It's like a cake with such an amount of cream above it that you can not see the cake nor feel its taste when you eat it. Frustrating  :(

Teunis

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-01-29, 19:10:33
NP  Enslaved:  Axioma Ethica Odini

Absolutely stellar  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Enslaved came close to being pantheon with me with their two previous albums, Ruun (2006) and Vertebrae (2008). With Axioma they'v raised the bar even further, and now they'r definitely pantheon  8)

I read an article about Enslaved's new album in a magazine a while ago and that made me curious. Then, of course, I totally forgot about it until I saw your post. So I guess I should thank you! ;D

NP: Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory

Currently Fatal Tragedy is blasting through my earplugs. I think this is a perfect example of everything that DT stands for musically. Such a great, diverse song! *horns*

Sh*t, you guys must be thinking that I really don't listen to anything but DT but as you might have seen in the Now Reading-thread I'm reading their biography Lifting Shadows at the moment and this way I'm pretty much rediscovering all the albums again. But hey, why am I defending myself? Dream Theater still is my favourite band out there and I'm proud of it! 8)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

The Butterfly Man

JP: The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life And Death

NP: Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned

For the ride home from work (read: traffic jams >:() I already selected something a bit more calm and relaxing: Ayreon - The Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

funkster

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2011-02-02, 15:57:47
JP: The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life And Death

NP: Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned

For the ride home from work (read: traffic jams >:() I already selected something a bit more calm and relaxing: Ayreon - The Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer

Tom

Dream Sequencer for me as well  :)

Iggy

I am playing The Final Experiment must be an Ayreon vibe in the air.

Teunis

Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts  *horns*
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Bupie

NP Megadeth - Youthanasia

What an incredible artcover ! For the anecdote, Hugh Syme put in the booklet a picture that really reminds of Fates Warning's Parallels cover. Were they taken from the same session ?

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

JP Gamma Ray - Blast From The Past

I tried Helloween's first Keeper and was not convinced. Listening to this Gamma Ray best of, it seems that it's not my thing neither  :P

NP Stride - Imagine
An old recommandation from a half-Danish sore loser  ;D

Manatee

NP: Devin Townsend Project - Ki
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

funkster

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2011-02-03, 17:26:06

I tried Helloween's first Keeper and was not convinced. Listening to this Gamma Ray best of, it seems that it's not my thing neither  :P

What a shame , i love the 2 Keeper albums and the last 2 or 3 Gamma Ray albums are solid slabs of metal   *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2011-01-31, 15:38:30
NP Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera

This is a group that we share, Bups. They'r not (yet) pantheon with me, but they sure are growing on me. I'v decided to get some more BG-albums and get more into'm  :)

I like Helloween's late albums, but the two Keepers never did it for me. Nor anything by Gamma Ray  :-\

Quote from: Bupie
An old recommendation from a half-Danish sore loser  ;D

;D

I wonder who that is  ???

I hope you like the album, cuz it's one'o my faves  ;)

I wonder what's goin on with Stride. Havent heard any news about'm for years  :'(

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2011-02-02, 08:25:13
So I guess I should thank you! ;D

:)

NP  Enslaved:  Axioma

Yup, Tom, it's as good as all the hype says. Already a classic that has brought prog further  *horns*

A difficult album too (not surprisingly), so be patient  ;)

Sh*t

Hey, Tom, watch yer language  :o

Dream Theater still is my favourite band out there and I'm proud of it!

Hey, I thought it was Coldplay. You were ravin so much about'm a while ago  :P

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2011-02-03, 11:29:19
King Crimson ~ Thrak

*horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Ulver:  Blinded By Blood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rs_NRyNs4o

Very atmospheric  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Emperor:  Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

Excellent metal by an excellent Norwegian black metal band. A bit like Arcturus and Borknagar. Mad, Funky, Tom  ;)

Guess I'm listenin a lot to Norwegian groups currently - for good reasons  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: funkster on Sat, 2011-02-05, 09:20:27

What a shame , i love the 2 Keeper albums and the last 2 or 3 Gamma Ray albums are solid slabs of metal   *horns*

I must agree with the Funkster on this one.
True, Keeper pt I isn't well produced but as a heavy metal album it sure as h*ll reaches high grounds and the same goes for Keeper pt II.
Pt I is more a Kay Hansen-Helloween album while pt II is more a Michael Weikath-Helloween album.
You might know that there is also a pt III and though it's a good album, I can't imagine a Keeper of the Seven Keys album without Michael Kiske. ;)

NP> Resistor ~ Rise

maddox

Opeth ~ Deliverance : By The Pain I See in Others [13:50]

maddox

funkster

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-02-05, 16:11:38
Emperor:  Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

Excellent metal by an excellent Norwegian black metal band. A bit like Arcturus and Borknagar. Mad, Funky, Tom  ;)

Guess I'm listenin a lot to Norwegian groups currently - for good reasons  *horns*

Nicky.

Never got round to Emperor , but what an amazingly daft sounding album title     ;) What whelks are doing at dusk that need an anthem to them i will never know