News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Jones

Just: Panic Room - Visionary Position
Now: The Flower Kings - The Rainmaker
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Teunis

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2009-07-10, 18:09:04
Hear, hear, soundclips from the forthcoming Sylvan-album 'Force Of Gravity'!!
Yeah, I just read that it will be released on 25th September. Already on my 'to buy' list  *horns* 8).

Just: Frost* - Milliontown
Now: Pictorial Wand - Face Of Our Fathers
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Steve Jones

Just: Half Man Half Biscuit - Some Call it Godcore
Now: Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

NP: King Crimson - Red

It only gets better with repeated plays.   *horns*
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Teunis

Neal Morse - ?

Got a mail that Neal's live DVD is on its way to me, preparing a bit  *horns* ;).

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-07-11, 09:32:09
NP: King Crimson - Red

It only gets better with repeated plays.   *horns*

Believe ya, Greenie  :)

I'v had many hours of enjoyment with my KC albums, one of my pantheon groups  *horns*

JP  IQ:  Subterranea & Dark Matter

Nice, particularly Harvest of Souls, but very old-school neo-prog. When I hear this stuff, I think early 70's Floyd, Yes, and Genesis, and even these groups were more groundbreaking then.

I don't understand why you guys are so crazy about IQ  :-\

But maybe I'm just an old f*, I'v seen too much rain fall (and sausages rise)  ::)

Or maybe I'm just a bit more adventurous  ???

NP  Audioslave:  Revelations  (on repeat)

Guess the "revelations" relates to the lyrics, the music doesn't have much of that, but nice songs, and Chris' singing is fabulous as always, and you get the feeling that the guys worked well together during this period  *horns*

Seems like the three Rage guys are back with Zack. Will be interesting to see what they dish up after their different experiences apart. I was never much a fan of their earlier stuff, but they may have learnt a thing or two about melody from CC.

Might interest some:

"Chris Cornell is a rock icon who thrives on contradictions. An innovator who resists genre labels, he was nonetheless the chief architect of the 90s grunge movement. Frequently ranked as one of the best voices in music history, he has successfully maintained his own unique identity over more than two decades as a multi-Grammy award winning musician and universally acclaimed singer, songwriter and lyricist.

Seattle trailblazers Soundgarden were a law to themselves, edgy, dark and deeply individual. Their savage soundscapes, coupled with Cornell's incisive lyrics and predatory roar, seduced audiences hungry for musical depth and complexity while leading trends in street fashion and iconic design. In 1989, they became the first Seattle band to sign to a major label. Their sound continued to change and evolve over the course of five pioneering albums.

Celebrated side project Temple of the Dog had already shown Cornell's more soulful side and introduced future Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder to the world. Later, Cornell shocked the business once again with richly melodic, critically acclaimed solo album Euphoria Morning, swiftly recognized for its alienation and despair. And as the millennium turned, he joined with three other musical pioneers from rap-rock's Rage Against The Machine to create Audioslave - a multi-platinum supergroup which lived to deny its detractors, producing three top-selling albums, touring the world and becoming the first American band to bring rock to Castro's Cuba.

Since then, Cornell has redefined his sound and vision to encompass new music, new collaborations and new activities ... His triumphant 2007 world tour brought together songs from every stage of his career, reinterpreting them for new audiences and blending their original fire with the shock of the new.

Outside music, Cornell fronted fashion designer John Varvatos's Spring 2006 collection and settled in Paris with his family, where he has helped revive a historic restaurant, the stylish Black Calavados.

Only the most confident would claim to predict exactly what comes next for Chris Cornell. Always eclectic, always experimental, his new collaboration with super-producer Timbaland ... will take him into fresh territory, establishing a new sound and marking the creation of a masterpiece that breaks all musical boundaries. Only one thing's for sure - Chris Cornell will continue to break rules, make history and challenge everyone's expectations."

Chris Cornell Bio by Clare O'Brien, on Amazon.com.

However, I think it's going a bit too far to call him "the chief architect of the 90s grunge movement". Imo Kurt Cobain and Jerry Cantrell were just as important.

But of course Euphoria Morning is an essential album, a very unusual, exciting experience brought about by very gifted, angular musicians gettin together  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

NP  Marillion:  Fugazi

Oh, man, this is just sooo brilliant  *horns*

It's amazing how much more Fish-Marillion grip me than the later lounge metamorphosis  ::)

Yup, Bups, there sure will be some of these songs goin on my SO-list. Thanks buddy  :)

Guess I'm a sucker for Fish - somehow or other  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Just: Genesis - Selling England
Now: Hanoi Rocks - Two Steps from the Move
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-07-11, 11:43:40
NP  Marillion:  Fugazi

Oh, man, this is just sooo brilliant  *horns*

It's amazing how much more Fish-Marillion grip me than the later lounge metamorphosis  ::)

Yup, Bups, there sure will be some of these songs goin on my SO-list. Thanks buddy  :)

Guess I'm a sucker for Fish - somehow or other  ;D

Nicky.

I think I am in a minority of 1 but Fugazi is my favourite Marillion album.

NP Lunatic Soul

Steve Jones

Just: Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
Now: Anvil - Forged in Fire
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Just Riverside - Second life syndrome
Now Edenbridge - Arcana

Steve Jones

Just: Maria McKee - Maria McKee
Now: Dream Theater - Score
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-07-11, 10:04:44
JP  IQ:  Subterranea & Dark Matter

Nice, particularly Harvest of Souls, but very old-school neo-prog. When I hear this stuff, I think early 70's Floyd, Yes, and Genesis, and even these groups were more groundbreaking then.

But maybe I'm just an old f*, I'v seen too much rain fall (and sausages rise)  ::)

Or maybe I'm just a bit more adventurous  ???

Personally, I prefer You Never Will and Born Brilliant from Dark MatterSubterranea I think suffers from classic double concept album disease -- It's a five star single album with filler songs added to adhere to the concept. It's got several outstanding songs, but I think they deserve to be on an album with only other outstanding songs.   I'm not really a huge fan of concept albums unless they're just brilliantly executed because the story as a whole is less important to me in the long run than the quality of the songs.  I'd rather the concept be more loosely covered and have each song be a winner than have a fully-developed concept with some just-OK songs in there only to advance the concept.  In essence, a story is only going to be interesting a certain number of times, but, as you know, really great songs can stand up to much more repetition.

Why are we so crazy about IQ?  Uh, cause they're great.   ;)   I ask myself the same question about Dream Theater actually, but sometimes one just has to admit defeat and accept being the minority opinion.  IQ sometimes gets criticized for not being "ground-breaking."  In one way, I can maybe see that in that they're basically the last banner carriers for what a lot of us considered classic prog (vaguely Genesis-like style, etc.).  First off, I love that style, so I'm glad someone still does it.  Secondly, I don't really think they sound a whole lot like anyone but themselves.  Also, for me, Peter Nicholls' voice is very unique and interesting, and I like his lyrics a lot (with perhaps one exception).  That alone lends some uniqueness to the music for me (I realize he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a fan).  I guess to me they embody as much as anyone "what prog sounds like."  Sure it would be dull if every single band did the same thing, but they're not just anyone.  At this point if there's any copying going on, I'd say it's newer bands copying them and not the other way around.  I'd agree that they've changed less over the years than most bands with this long of a lifespan, but I don't think all style changes are for the better, and in this case, they started with a pretty damned good one.  In short, maybe their progressiveness isn't progressing so much, but they still produce quality music, and it's nice to have a band or two in your stable that you can rely on.

"Adventurousness" is all well and good, but I think we're allowed to like some music just cause it sounds great, even if it doesn't shock the hell out of us.  And honestly, I don't think there are many Roomies who can justly be accused of listening to only "safe" music -- we just all have our own preferred sorts of adventures.

NP: Devin Townsend Project - Ki

Starring a gent who I think pretty much disproves any claims that I'm not adventurous.   ;)

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-07-11, 17:32:03
Personally, I prefer You Never Will and Born Brilliant from Dark MatterSubterranea I think suffers from classic double concept album disease -- It's a five star single album with filler songs added to adhere to the concept. It's got several outstanding songs, but I think they deserve to be on an album with only other outstanding songs.   I'm not really a huge fan of concept albums unless they're just brilliantly executed because the story as a whole is less important to me in the long run than the quality of the songs.  I'd rather the concept be more loosely covered and have each song be a winner than have a fully-developed concept with some just-OK songs in there only to advance the concept.  In essence, a story is only going to be interesting a certain number of times, but, as you know, really great songs can stand up to much more repetition.

Why are we so crazy about IQ?  Uh, cause they're great.   ;)   I ask myself the same question about Dream Theater actually, but sometimes one just has to admit defeat and accept being the minority opinion.  IQ sometimes gets criticized for not being "ground-breaking."  In one way, I can maybe see that in that they're basically the last banner carriers for what a lot of us considered classic prog (vaguely Genesis-like style, etc.).  First off, I love that style, so I'm glad someone still does it.  Secondly, I don't really think they sound a whole lot like anyone but themselves.  Also, for me, Peter Nicholls' voice is very unique and interesting, and I like his lyrics a lot (with perhaps one exception).  That alone lends some uniqueness to the music for me (I realize he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a fan).  I guess to me they embody as much as anyone "what prog sounds like."  Sure it would be dull if every single band did the same thing, but they're not just anyone.  At this point if there's any copying going on, I'd say it's newer bands copying them and not the other way around.  I'd agree that they've changed less over the years than most bands with this long of a lifespan, but I don't think all style changes are for the better, and in this case, they started with a pretty damned good one.  In short, maybe their progressiveness isn't progressing so much, but they still produce quality music, and it's nice to have a band or two in your stable that you can rely on.

"Adventurousness" is all well and good, but I think we're allowed to like some music just cause it sounds great, even if it doesn't shock the hell out of us.  And honestly, I don't think there are many Roomies who can justly be accused of listening to only "safe" music -- we just all have our own preferred sorts of adventures.

Starring a gent who I think pretty much disproves any claims that I'm not adventurous.   ;)

Well said and very well written.

JP Last Human Gateway - IQ. A masterpiece.  *horns*

Manatee

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2009-07-11, 18:18:40
Well said and very well written.

Thank you, sir.  Want to be my literary agent?  If you can get me a book deal, maybe I'll actually get around to writing one finally.  Maybe a young adults' series about a boy musician named Harry Progger?

JP Last Human Gateway - IQ. A masterpiece.  *horns*

Indeed, one of their best.   *horns*

Was playing sort of: Dire Straits - On Every Street

I allowed Devin to run into the first few songs of this (it's next alphabetically in my iTunes).  I gave up on it though.  As discussed elsewhere, DS were pretty much done by this point.  The title track is pretty good, but there's nothing special about the rest of it.

maddox

Demians ~ Building An Empire
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-07-11, 10:04:44
I'll never get bored of their music, it's so versatile. The tempo changes, keyboard- and guitarsolos. After each play I hear sounds I never heard before. Hard to explain, their music grabs me  *horns*.

IQ - Frequency
Pendragon - Pure

Steve Jones

Fish - Fortunes of War (1994 Live Acoustic)
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Just: Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two
Now: Osada Vida - Three Seats Behind a Triangle
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Jp The grand design - Edenbridge

NP Criminal Record - Rick Wakeman

Steve Jones

Just: Osada Vida - The Body Parts Party
Now: Kaipa - Angling Feelings
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-07-11, 17:32:03

Right, Greenie  8)

And honestly, I don't think there are many Roomies who can justly be accused of listening to only "safe" music -- we just all have our own preferred sorts of adventures.

Right too  :)

Guess Ten and Jeff Buckley are my "safe" trips ... and seems I like'm for the same reasons as you like Peter Nicholls:  Great lyrics, melody and singing, edgy without being shocking  8)

... sometimes one just has to admit defeat and accept being the minority opinion.

Right again. I'm often in the minority, in the Room, and even more elsewhere  :)

Also, for me, Peter Nicholls' voice is very unique and interesting, and I like his lyrics a lot (with perhaps one exception).  That alone lends some uniqueness to the music for me ...

OK, I'l give IQ another run and be attentive to that.

That's one of the great things about the Room:  That we can pinpoint things of special interest and value for each other  8)

NP  Daniel Lanois:  The Maker  (on Acadie, on repeat)

A terrific song re both lyrics, music and performance. It's on its way to my SO-list (and it'l fill up the gap a bit (1989))  *horns*

Daniel's solo-albums are very mixed bags. Here and there are some very special experiences  8)

And he has produced several great albums  :)

None else into DL ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life

Now that the North Sea Jazz Festival is going on here in NL let's play something apt :)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..