News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Male to Female Ratio

Started by Peter, Sun, 2005-02-20, 21:33:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

According to our stats page, prog rock and/or Arena seems to appeal more to men than to women... Dear, 6.6:1....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Appelmoes??

Cool, I'm doing pretty good 8) But where do you see that ratio you're talking about?
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

creme anglais

having spent almost 20yrs going to gigs....... thats not really a surprise..... a pity but not a surprise!
   from the rare breed zoo of Prog ;)

Xanxtuary

In my experience, men seem to take their music listening experiences far more seriously than women (whatever genre of music they're into).  This is borne out by reading what people say on message boards, especially as to the reasons for listening to music.  A lot of the time, women tend to have music playing in the background whilst doing something else, whereas men are more likely to sit down and listen to music, and to have in-depth discussions about instruments, musicians, lyrics, bands, influences, etc. 

A lot of my female friends don't get as heavily into their chosen music as I do.  They don't tend to discuss it beyond saying who's fit and who's not, etc, whereas with blokes, you can get right into a heavy discussion.  This is not sexist, tis just what I've found to be true, and being a woman who's into thoughtful music, I thought I was in the minority until I got involved in internet message boards, where I found to my delight that there are lots of other women who grinjoy talking about the music, etc.

Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Wed, 2005-02-23, 22:11:53
A lot of the time, women tend to have music playing in the background whilst doing something else, whereas men are more likely to sit down and listen to music,
That's what I do! When I come home, the first thing I do is to put a cd in the player! Then turn on the pc, then go to fora, then stay there, and stay... and cook a little

My drawings on MySpace

Appelmoes??

Since I'm using  Firefox, my 'time online' is rapidly increassing  :-\

(Firefox is cool btw 8) )

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

I run both IE6, and Firefox with Flash7...different tools for different jobs...

But most of my time is spent with IE6.

And this has NOTHING to do with the topic, BTW...!
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Xanxtuary

Again, not really to do with the topic, but talking about male to female ratios, I also post on sci-fi and fantasy fora, and I find the same applies there.  Far more men than women are into sci-fi, RPGs and related topics. 

I'm forming a theory here ... men have more TIME ON THEIR HANDS to pursue these activities, even in these days of enlightened attitudes and alleged equality of the sexes ... women still FEEL that they ought not to be "wasting time" pursuing hobbies when there are meals to be cooked, rooms to be cleaned/tidied, partners to be chastised, etc.

I of course have no such concerns ...  8)

Moonloop

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Wed, 2005-02-23, 22:11:53
In my experience, men seem to take their music listening experiences far more seriously than women (whatever genre of music they're into).  This is borne out by reading what people say on message boards, especially as to the reasons for listening to music.  A lot of the time, women tend to have music playing in the background whilst doing something else, whereas men are more likely to sit down and listen to music, and to have in-depth discussions about instruments, musicians, lyrics, bands, influences, etc. 

A lot of my female friends don't get as heavily into their chosen music as I do.  They don't tend to discuss it beyond saying who's fit and who's not, etc, whereas with blokes, you can get right into a heavy discussion.  This is not sexist, tis just what I've found to be true

You are absolutely right, that's a pretty accurate summary.  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-03-08, 08:50:09
You are absolutely right, that's a pretty accurate summary.  ;D

What else did you expect from a Jedi Master... shouldn't it be 'Mistress'...?

Moonloop

A Jedi "Mistress"..?? Even more respect  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-03-08, 08:56:31
May the force.... Whip your ass!! *insert whipsound*

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

"Careful with that whipsound, Eugene"....
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Xanxtuary

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-03-08, 08:56:31

The term "Jedi Master" is non-gender specific.  It is a rank, like Captain, Sergeant, or even ... Constable.  You don't get Jedi Mistresses ... although I suspect more people would be interested in sci-fi if that term existed!  There would be fetishists begging to be beaten with replica light-sabres, etc!  ;)

Having said that, it has been observed that I do have a somewhat authoritative air about me!  8)

Constable Hogweed

Now don't you lot start encouraging my Mistress Xanxa. My posterior has been red raw enough this week.  :'(   ;) Now you lot have started her off again - Oh woe is me

Peter

There's another theory in philsophy, that says 'people always get what they deserve' and another one which goes like 'people always get what they wish for'. Choose which harms your reputation least ;)

The second one is actually quite an interesting one. It deals not with wishes that your conscious brain designs, like 'a big car', 'loads of money' etc., but unconscious ones that direct your actions so that they will lead to the wanted result.
Or so. It's been a long time since I read such stuff...

Constable Hogweed

Been reading "Tony Robbins" at all Peter?  ;)

gelert

Quote from: Constable Hogweed on Sun, 2005-03-20, 20:32:44
Now don't you lot start encouraging my Mistress Xanxa. My posterior has been red raw enough this week.  :'(   ;) Now you lot have started her off again - Oh woe is me

Ah, it's all in the spelling...

If you want her to STOP, then it would be "Whoa"...   ;)

As for your posterior being read, raw...  ::)

Drunk...me..? No, no, no...I haven't had a **** all night drinkstable...!

Peter

Quote from: Constable Hogweed on Sun, 2005-03-20, 20:39:57
Been reading "Tony Robbins" at all Peter?  ;)

Nah, never. I'm not into those motivation guys. The effect evaporates as soon as you close the book or leave the meeting...

Constable Hogweed

I've read his books and i must say i agree. I found myself all motivated while i was reading, but could not remember a word he said once i closed the book. Just goes to show how effective he must be.  ;D

Xanxtuary

Like with a lot of these things, tis easier said than done.

I've read lots of motivational material in the past, but the fact is, all that alleged wisdom tends to desert us in our hour of need.

Saryna

Actually, if you listen to it enough...say as a habit for 21 days or so, it will become a knee jerk reaction when you have "that hour of need".  You need to study it.  Not to be listened to once and then forgotten.  That's the key.  Also, in my experience as well as hearing from others that the only way you can really recieve it on a deeper level and retain it and use it is if you are truly thirsty for the info from the beginning.  If you're lackluster and only listening from curiosity it just might go in and out quickly and not be very inspiring and it won't stick.  You really have to be in a situation of 'student', open to it and  needing the info.  Really needing motivation, like coming out of a depression or something.

As for the original topic "gender ratio"  my experience is a bit different.  I know a great many women who are very serious about their music and love to talk shop(obviously I'm one of them) and love to live for their music.  I think it's the cirlces you hang out in that give you the experience.  I also think there would be alot more women here at this forum but it's just a matter of opportunity.  They don't know about it yet.  Alot of women love Arena's music.  Alot more would love it if they could just find it.

Sharon