News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Yes

Started by PH, Sat, 2008-04-12, 20:37:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-07-02, 22:12:13
Reckon you must mean Symphonic Live. Just added it to my SL. Thx Iggy  :)

Btw what do you think of Open Your Eyes ?  That's the only Yes album that I don't like. I'v given it several runs, but it simply doesnt click. I only like Man In The Moon, which is a classic fun Jon song.

Nicky.

Yes I did mean that DVD and Open your eyes is not a great favourite of mine either in fact it is my least favourite.

PH

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I'm sure I want to reply! :P

Since the start of this topic, I've really been doing my homework.
I'm now the proud owner of what many consider to be the classic albums of Yes:
- The Yes Album
- Fragile
- Close To The Edge
- Tales From Topographic Oceans
- Relayer

From that list, I know the first three albums really well and I like them very much! I think "Fragile" and (especially) "Close To The Edge" are two absolute masterpieces in Progressive Rock. I'm so glad I didn't set them aside.

"Tales..." doesn't grip me that much yet, but I'm working on it. Same goes for "Relayer" actually.

Now, I'm wondering where to go from here. I've read this topic again this morning and from what I've read (and heard myself) the first two studio albums are not that much of a priority.

"Going For The One" is most likely the next step. It's the one most reminiscent of the classic lineup (Squire, Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, minus Bruford) and features Awaken, an progressive rock epic and a favourite among many.

It seems that "Tormato" is the one I should skip for now. Most people (including some band members) don't like this one. It also doesn't really have a song that redeems the album.

I've been told that "Drama" is a masterpiece in its own right. Without Anderson and Wakeman it's a different kind of Yes. Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are mostly cited as the best of the album.

"90125" is a really nice 'modern' pop/rock version of Yes. I've listened to this album a few times on YouTube and while being a far cry from "Close To The Edge" or "Fragile", liked it a lot.

"Big Generator" I do not know, but seems to be a bit of a disappointment in the general prog community.

Now a question.
I can buy "Going For The One" remastered in 2003 with seven bonus tracks, for 8 euros.
I can buy "Drama" remastered in 2003 with ten bonus tracks, for only 7 euros.
I can buy "90125" also remastered in 2003 with six bonus tracks for 8 euros.

Or I can buy "Yes: Original Album Series" which includes aforementioned albums plus "Tormato" and "Big Generator", without bonus tracks and not remastered: 20 euros.
The packaging seems a bit cheap. Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU-ijc4A4k

How essential are "Tormato" and "Big Generator"? Or any of these albums for that matter?

Peter

90125, a real piece of rock history. Produced by Trevor Horn (which speaks for itself), excellent musicianship, crystal clear sound (not the crunched up compression mess of today's productions. They all do it now. All as in "all of them!" Who needs dnyamics when you can have cranked up the volume to 0dB!).
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Paxi, my first-line Yes albums are: Going, Ladder, Fly, and Talk.

Thus Yes are probably even better than what you currently think they are  ;)

My second-line Yes albums are: Topographic, Tormato, Union, and Edge.

90125 is fun, but Talk is absolutely the Rabin-era album to get - far more serious and thoughtful.

Big Generator one can leave till last, "Yes" is a bit much raw, and Open Your Eyes I simply don't like.

All the other Yes studio albums are worthwhile, including Drama and ABWH, coming from one of the absolutely greatest rock groups eva  *horns* *horns* *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2013-05-14, 11:47:03
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I'm sure I want to reply! :P

Since the start of this topic, I've really been doing my homework.
I'm now the proud owner of what many consider to be the classic albums of Yes:
- The Yes Album
- Fragile
- Close To The Edge
- Tales From Topographic Oceans
- Relayer

From that list, I know the first three albums really well and I like them very much! I think "Fragile" and (especially) "Close To The Edge" are two absolute masterpieces in Progressive Rock. I'm so glad I didn't set them aside.

"Tales..." doesn't grip me that much yet, but I'm working on it. Same goes for "Relayer" actually.

Now, I'm wondering where to go from here. I've read this topic again this morning and from what I've read (and heard myself) the first two studio albums are not that much of a priority.

"Going For The One" is most likely the next step. It's the one most reminiscent of the classic lineup (Squire, Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, minus Bruford) and features Awaken, an progressive rock epic and a favourite among many.

It seems that "Tormato" is the one I should skip for now. Most people (including some band members) don't like this one. It also doesn't really have a song that redeems the album.

I've been told that "Drama" is a masterpiece in its own right. Without Anderson and Wakeman it's a different kind of Yes. Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are mostly cited as the best of the album.

"90125" is a really nice 'modern' pop/rock version of Yes. I've listened to this album a few times on YouTube and while being a far cry from "Close To The Edge" or "Fragile", liked it a lot.

"Big Generator" I do not know, but seems to be a bit of a disappointment in the general prog community.

Now a question.
I can buy "Going For The One" remastered in 2003 with seven bonus tracks, for 8 euros.
I can buy "Drama" remastered in 2003 with ten bonus tracks, for only 7 euros.
I can buy "90125" also remastered in 2003 with six bonus tracks for 8 euros.

Or I can buy "Yes: Original Album Series" which includes aforementioned albums plus "Tormato" and "Big Generator", without bonus tracks and not remastered: 20 euros.
The packaging seems a bit cheap. Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU-ijc4A4k

How essential are "Tormato" and "Big Generator"? Or any of these albums for that matter?

I'll admit I'm not a complete expert on Yes, but for what it's worth, Going for the One is my favorite of theirs, followed probably by Close to the Edge.  Fragile and The Yes Album are also excellent, but they got so much airplay back when I was a youth, that I got kind of worn out on them.  Drama is also a nice album, but it's rather different than what I'd consider classic Yes.  Somewhere I have Relayer and one or two others on vinyl, but I don't really know the remaining albums well enough to comment on them.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

maddox

Well, here's another Yes-nitwit.

History has brought us several lineups, and overall I must say that although albums like Close to the Edge and Fragile are classics, I prefer the Rabin-era the most, including albums like 90125, Big Generator and Talk.

Even though some of the other albums, or line-ups if you will, are classified as classic, the music isn't really my cup of tea.
Too vibrant, lots of twists which I would usually like, but somehow not in this case.
And then there's Jon, not the best singer in the world for as I'm concerned.

Like I said, I like Big Generator a lot.
Most part of the songs are easy listening, laid-back radio-friendly rock songs, like Rhythm of Love (yeah!  ;D), Big Generator and Almost like Love (almost like mushy!!  ;D ;D *horns*) and I have to say, I really like them! :)
Best songs on the album are Shoot High, Aim Low (marvelous song with a dito guitar solo!) and I'm Running.

When comparing this album with other bands, I'd say that Asia comes pretty close to this period in Yes-history.
Not too complicated, less vibrant but enjoyable.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2013-05-18, 23:00:13
Well, here's another Yes-nitwit.

Yeah, I can see that you havent understood what Yes is about, Mad  :P

- namely defining and redefining rock, probably as much as Dream Theater have done, just not as obviously - aint that so, Iggy  ;)

And you can't compare Yes - in any era - with Asia. Asia was the money machine whereby the guys could earn the means to do what their hearts demanded: Yes and other prog projects - similar to James Cameron earning (loads of) money on Titanic in order to do his cutting-edge "Expedition: Bismarck" and "Deepsea Challenger".

You can't even compare the more commercially intended 90125 with Asia: Once you get past the smash hit Owner, you get to true Yes songs like the playful It Can Happen, and the progressive Changes with Rabin's fantastic sense for creating mood  8)

And Greenie, I actually read Paxi's post earlier in the thread  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-05-19, 09:05:32
Yeah, I can see that you havent understood what Yes is about, Mad  :P

Bands can't always be defined, Nicky. ;)
You of all people should know that.

And if you don't, than you don't know what lady GaGa is about either.  :P

Quote- namely defining and redefining rock, probably as much as Dream Theater have done, just not as obviously - aint that so, Iggy  ;)

Definitely!
Though I still don't like their music. ;)
Not very much at least.

Though I'm not really sure about the 'my-band-is-better-than-your-band' statement. ;)
That's a personal issue.
Dream Theater isn't only influenced by Rush, Genesis and Pink Floyd for instance but also by Yes.

QuoteAnd you can't compare Yes - in any era - with Asia. Asia was the money machine whereby the guys could earn the means to do what their hearts demanded:

Music-wise, Nicky.
My comparison was just music-wise.
I really don't care what their characters' like, I leave that to others to judge. ;)

QuoteYes and other prog projects - similar to James Cameron earning (loads of) money on Titanic in order to do his cutting-edge "Expedition: Bismarck" and "Deepsea Challenger".

Meaning it was passion instead of just making money?
Sure, I get that.
But overall I believe that passion is a high standard in progressive rock music in general, yet we all have to make a living.
Even in this case, money-making is essential for any artist.

QuoteYou can't even compare the more commercially intended 90125 with Asia: Once you get past the smash hit Owner, you get to true Yes songs like the playful It Can Happen, and the progressive Changes with Rabin's fantastic sense for creating mood  8)

- Nicky

That's your take on things. ;)
I believe that they do have some similarities.
Though John Wetton's voice is better than Jon Andersons.  8)

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2013-05-19, 15:34:42
Bands can't always be defined, Nicky. ;)
You of all people should know that.

OK, I'l admit I was a bit harsh on you, Mad - but it evoked a reaction, which sadly is rather unusual in the Room these days; people don't even play each others' music links any longer  :'(

Yes, I mean No, but Yes are definitely one of the most important rock groups in history, whether one digs them or not  ;)

I certainly dig'm  *horns*

And if you don't, than you don't know what Lady GaGa is about either.  :P

Seriously, is there anything prog about her ?

Though I'm not really sure about the 'my-band-is-better-than-your-band' statement. ;)

Well, you never had a band, Mad, makes it easy, so my band was better than yours, even if we were lousy  ;D

Dream Theater isn't only influenced by Rush, Genesis and Pink Floyd for instance but also by Yes.

One of the reasons why DT are so great is that they integrated all sorts of esoteric stuff into their music and lyrics  *horns*

Music-wise, Nicky.

I'm also talking music-wise, Mad. Asia have always been an easy-listening rock band, from start they decided not to try to break new ground. Yes have always been at the opposite end of the prog scale - including the Rabin era; if one listens in, one hears clearly that he showed a deep respect for the hallowed traditions of Yes  ;)

If you want to compare Yes with another band, then Arena are a good choice. Both have always been on the move, and upheld high standards  *horns*

But overall I believe that passion is a high standard in progressive rock music in general, yet we all have to make a living.
Even in this case, money-making is essential for any artist.

It's interesting in this respect that one of the artists who never sold out is Jon Anderson. Yet he still managed always to have a house, and feed himself, several wives, and four kids  :)

Though John Wetton's voice is better than Jon Andersons.  8)

Talking about "mine is bigger than yours"  :P

I'll admit that John Wetton is a great musician and a fine singer. All the guys passing thru Asia are/were. Still it's a money machine - precisely because the musicians were worth(y of) much more  :-\

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-05-19, 17:59:15
I'm also talking music-wise, Mad. Asia have always been an easy-listening rock band, from start they decided not to try to break new ground. Yes have always been at the opposite end of the prog scale - including the Rabin era; if one listens in, one hears clearly that he showed a deep respect for the hallowed traditions of Yes  ;)

Rabin era Yes started out as Cinema. Rabin came up with most of the material for 90125 and he was briefly part of Asia before he joined Cinema. So the comparison is not far off...

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2013-05-19, 19:58:04
Rabin era Yes started out as Cinema. Rabin came up with most of the material for 90125 and he was briefly part of Asia before he joined Cinema. So the comparison is not far off...

Well, I can understand why he left Asia  ;)

Later on he decided to go into making music scores for B-films - idiotic stuff like Armageddon and National Treasure - simply in order to feed his family (just like NDV goin into Cirque Du Soleil (not comparing CDS with those movies here)). That doesnt make his music scores prog  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Well people. I bought "Going For The One", "Drama" and "90125". All expanded and remastered.
I'll report back to you about my experiences. ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2013-05-29, 14:11:08
Well people. I bought "Going For The One", "Drama" and "90125". All expanded and remastered.
I'll report back to you about my experiences. ;D

Sounds good, Paxi  8)

Going For The One is one of the ten most important albums in my life  *horns* *horns* *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2013-05-29, 14:19:48
Going For The One is one of the ten most important albums in my life  *horns* *horns* *horns*

I have yet to listen to that one! I'm still rocking out to "90125"! Love that album.

Hey, what to think of Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe?
Do you consider it a Yes album? Or is it totally different? Is it better/worse than what Yes (Yes-West?) put out at the time?
It's got the classic lineup, but without Squire. And I have to say, Squire is a fantastic bass-player.

Nicky007

When I heard the title song "Going for the One" the first time, I was simply blown over - totally !  In fact, I can't recall any other musical experience so powerful. So that piece has a special place in my heart  :-*

Crank up the volume - it deserves it  ;)

As to ABWH, I mean, with those four guys, how can it be anything else than a Yes-album ?

What is a Yes-album ? It's when some of the guys who at some point have played under the moniker of Yes get together and make music - and then we know it's gonna be a great experience  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Anyone else with an opinion about ABWH? (Not that I don't value yours, Nicky!)

I just discovered that the expanded and remastered records on the Rhino label are only limited to the first eleven albums (from "Yes" till "90125").
So no "Big Generator" or any album after that in the Rhino remaster series.
Which means I only miss the first two albums and "Tormato".
Since I can get them pretty cheap, I might buy them anyway. "Time And A Word" being not too bad actually. Listened to that one on YouTube a couple of days ago and liked it. Almost on the same level of "The Yes Album".

I guess I'd also put "Keys To Ascension" (in a five disc edition) on my wish list.

And at the moment I'm listening to "Talk". It's really good indeed Nicky! 8) I'm really in love with these Rabin guitars! He really adds something new to Yes. I'm not saying I prefer his playing to Howe's, but it's very special.

It seems I'm becoming a big Yes-head now. ;)

Nicky007

Super, Paxi, I really enjoy sharing Yes with you  *horns*

You'r right: It shouldnt come down to any choice between Howe and Rabin; both have contributed enormously to the magic of Yes  8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-08-04, 22:33:55
Super, Paxi, I really enjoy sharing Yes with you  *horns*

Likewise!

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2013-08-04, 22:33:55
You'r right: It shouldnt come down to any choice between Howe and Rabin; both have contributed enormously to the magic of Yes  8)

Howe had a jazzy fusion kind of guitar style, while Rabin's guitars rock! And there's something 'weird' in Rabin's playing. Perhaps it's because I know where he's coming from, but I'd swear there's an African touch in his playing! Whatever that's supposed to mean.

maddox

When I bought the ABWH album I was really dissapointed.
I expected something in the vein of Big Generator and such but the music on this album was very different.
Later I discovered that the music on this album was the true Yes-sound.

I rarely listen to the album, but it's not bad at all, really.

PH

Okay, a little update from me here.

Like I said a few months back, Yes is among my favourites now.

I have not listened that much to the very first album "Yes" yet. But it's not bad at all. Same goes for "Time And A Word". These two albums are before their prog days, but they're still very charming. I really like the "Time And A Word"'s title-song.
I can see why they called the next album "The Yes Album". It's obvious from the start that this is where Yes is really beginning to sound like Yes.

To me "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge" are still my favourite Yes albums. I really like everything on these.

Previously I said that "Tales From Topographic Oceans" didn't grip me that much. Well, this has changed. The first half of the album (and especially the first song) is really good! In fact, The Revealing Science Of God is perfect. But I still have major problems with The Ancients, which I try to listen to, but admittedly skip most of the time.

Then there's "Relayer", of which I also said that it didn't grip me much. Many have said this one to be their favourite Yes album, but not for me. It's alright, but simply doesn't get me in the same way as the other Yes albums do.

"Going For The One" is indeed a winner. I think it's better than "Relayer" and more accessible than "Tales...". So it's up there with "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge" for me. Nicky, you're right, the title song is bursting with energy. I like it. 8) I also like Wonderous Stories, and Awaken is indeed a worthy Yes epic.

I also have "Tormato", but due to mostly bad reviews this has no listening priority for me. I think I listened to it twice and found nothing really interesting. But I'll get back to this. Nicky, I saw you listing "Tormato" as number three on the best Yes albums list (on the first page of this topic). I was wondering what you like so much about this album.

"Drama" is really strange. I like it, but doesn't sound like a Yes album. I admit that I need to listen to it more.

I think "90125" is a very good album! I like everything on it. It's no classic Yes of course, but it's as catchy as an album can get.

"Fly From Here" is nice. But is not up there with the classics. But of course more listens could solve this.

So here's my homework:
I need to listen more to "Relayer", "Tormato", "Drama" and "Fly From Here". The next step is getting "Talk" and (I guess) "The Ladder". I also want a few Yes related albums. Where do I start?
I have:
Mystery - "The World Is A Game" (Benoît David)
Squackett - "A Life Within A Day" (Chris Squire)
Rick Wakeman - "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" (2012 version)

Nicky007

Nice resumé, Paxi. You keep the Room alive  :)

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2013-11-29, 12:18:29
Yes is among my favourites now.

Quite a change compared to a few years ago, huh ? - "Man, Yes are nothin compared to Genesis"  ;D
I think the right wording is: Genesis created a World of music, Yes did too, period.

"Fly From Here" is nice. But is not up there with the classics. But of course more listens could solve this.

Exactly, Paxi  ;)

Fly From Here is one of their best albums. It has everything Yes, in a mature cohesive way  *horns*

- except Jon, of course, but Benoit David (my inclination is the other way around  ;D ) does an excellent job  8)

Nicky, you're right, the title song is bursting with energy. I like it. I also like Wonderous Stories, and Awaken is indeed a worthy Yes epic.

If you look into my "Classic songs" list, you'l find exactly those three songs  ;)

But best of all is Going. It's not too much to say that that piece changed my music life  *horns*

Where do I start?

"Start" is maybe a bit understated, now that you are already familiar with your listed Yes-related albums, and if I remember correctly, you'r also into the Jon and Vangelis stuff.

But just to list all the great J&V albums: Page Of Life, Private Collection, and The Friends Of Mr. Cairo. Their debut, Short Stories can be skipped, unless one is a big J&V fan (like me)  8)

Jon's "solo" albums - actually Jon with friends (also the four-legged and winged ones, Jon has always been very veg, got Steve and some of the other guys into it too  8) ) - should also be delved into: A great musical experience  *horns*

Ms and I saw him live a few years ago, in Malmö. He performed alone - but with all sorts of paraphernalia - looked like a hurdy-gurdy man, but sounded like a whole rock(ing) group  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2013-11-29, 12:33:27
Quite a change compared to a few years ago, huh ? - "Man, Yes are nothin compared to Genesis"  ;D
I think the right wording is: Genesis created a World of music, Yes did too, period.

Indeed. Yes and Genesis are nothing alike. I like both.
Unfortunately Genesis' albums are still being sold as if they are new albums. 17 euros for an album from 1970 is a bit too much.
Yes' albums can be bought for less than half that price.
So I hope Genesis' albums will be a bit cheaper in the future, so I can finish my collection. ;)

Fly From Here is one of their best albums. It has everything Yes, in a mature cohesive way  *horns*

- except Jon, of course, but Benoit David (my inclination is the other way around  ;D ) does an excellent job  8)

Like I said, I need to listen to it more, but this album is sooo different from 70s Yes (which I prefer) or even 80s Yes (the catchiness).
I suspect it is more reminiscent of 90s Yes, which I do not really know. I only have the "Keys Of Ascension" box set and the studio songs on these discs are not really fantastic...

Benoît David (don't forget the caret on the i) is an excellent singer. Which is also evident on Mystery's albums. I guess he sounds a bit like Jon Anderson, but on the album "The World Is A Game" he reminds me more of Geddy Lee.

"Start" is maybe a bit understated, now that you are already familiar with your listed Yes-related albums, and if I remember correctly, you'r also into the Jon and Vangelis stuff.

But just to list all the great J&V albums: Page Of Life, Private Collection, and The Friends Of Mr. Cairo. Their debut, Short Stories can be skipped, unless one is a big J&V fan (like me)  8)

Jon's "solo" albums - actually Jon with friends (also the four-legged and winged ones, Jon has always been very veg, got Steve and some of the other guys into it too  8) ) - should also be delved into: A great musical experience  *horns*

Ms and I saw him live a few years ago, in Malmö. He performed alone - but with all sorts of paraphernalia - looked like a hurdy-gurdy man, but sounded like a whole rock(ing) group  :)

Thanks for all that! I can see you are a Jon Anderson enthusiast. What about the other Yes bandmembers?

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2013-11-29, 15:26:39
Indeed. Yes and Genesis are nothing alike. I like both.

Well, they'r more alike than most bands. Yes are a bit faster and more jazzy, Genesis are more atmospheric, and the later albums more rhythmic.

so I can finish my collection. ;)

I have the Genesis albums that I need, i.e. I miss a few of the first and last, wouldn't listen much to'm.

I suspect it is more reminiscent of 90s Yes

Yeah, I guess one could say that.

I only have the "Keys Of Ascension" box set and the studio songs on these discs are not really fantastic...

Keys Of Ascension never gripped me much either. But I think I should return to it soon .....

don't forget the caret on the i

Don't get caret away by it  ;D

I guess he sounds a bit like Jon Anderson, but on the album "The World Is A Game" he reminds me more of Geddy Lee.

I think he had a lotta awe for his role as singer of Yes.

I can see you are a Jon Anderson enthusiast.

I have over 30 albums on which he sings, so I guess you'r right about that  ;)

What about the other Yes bandmembers?

Hm, my bro was a big Rick Wakeman fan in his twenties, so I got to hear The Six Wives and Journey a lot.

I have Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away, which is a fine album, but nothing like Talk, which is one of my fave Yes albums.

Else no. I'v heard a bit of Steve Howe here and there, but nothing memorable, definitely not what he did in Asia.

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2013-11-29, 12:18:29
Okay, a little update from me here.

Like I said a few months back, Yes is among my favourites now.

I have not listened that much to the very first album "Yes" yet. But it's not bad at all. Same goes for "Time And A Word". These two albums are before their prog days, but they're still very charming. I really like the "Time And A Word"'s title-song.
I can see why they called the next album "The Yes Album". It's obvious from the start that this is where Yes is really beginning to sound like Yes.

To me "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge" are still my favourite Yes albums. I really like everything on these.

Previously I said that "Tales From Topographic Oceans" didn't grip me that much. Well, this has changed. The first half of the album (and especially the first song) is really good! In fact, The Revealing Science Of God is perfect. But I still have major problems with The Ancients, which I try to listen to, but admittedly skip most of the time.

Then there's "Relayer", of which I also said that it didn't grip me much. Many have said this one to be their favourite Yes album, but not for me. It's alright, but simply doesn't get me in the same way as the other Yes albums do.

"Going For The One" is indeed a winner. I think it's better than "Relayer" and more accessible than "Tales...". So it's up there with "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge" for me. Nicky, you're right, the title song is bursting with energy. I like it. 8) I also like Wonderous Stories, and Awaken is indeed a worthy Yes epic.

I also have "Tormato", but due to mostly bad reviews this has no listening priority for me. I think I listened to it twice and found nothing really interesting. But I'll get back to this. Nicky, I saw you listing "Tormato" as number three on the best Yes albums list (on the first page of this topic). I was wondering what you like so much about this album.

"Drama" is really strange. I like it, but doesn't sound like a Yes album. I admit that I need to listen to it more.

I think "90125" is a very good album! I like everything on it. It's no classic Yes of course, but it's as catchy as an album can get.

So here's my homework:
I need to listen more to "Relayer", "Tormato", "Drama" and "Fly From Here". The next step is getting "Talk" and (I guess) "The Ladder". I also want a few Yes related albums. Where do I start?
I have:
Mystery - "The World Is A Game" (Benoît David)
Squackett - "A Life Within A Day" (Chris Squire)
Rick Wakeman - "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" (2012 version)

First and foremost Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson is a great place to start. Fish out of water is enjoyable but not mindblowing.

Of the studio tracks on Keys That, That is has some lovely bits to it and Mind drive is also well worth a listen.

I'm sure that Gates will click sooner or later and they played Ritual on several of their recent tours.

The Ladder is very good imo I still prefer it to Fly From Here. I don't think you are keen on Live Albums but they are well worth it with Yes.

Steve Howes albums are mostly guitar work and quite similar to each other.

Trevor Rabin did 90124 which is how he wanted 90125 to sound. He also did Wolf which is pretty good too.

Off Tormato On the Silent Wings of Freedom, Onward, Future Times and  Release Release are my favourites along with DKTW.

Criminal Record, 1984, Six Wives and Myths and Legends are really good Rick Wakeman Albums

PH

Thanks Iggy! 8)
I'll check them out and report back!