News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Shadow Gallery

Started by Rafal, Thu, 2005-06-09, 16:57:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-11-27, 12:50:52
Actually: No !

The music I like best today is for the most part stuff that I didnt like intitially and that usually took me years to acquire a taste for, like Dream Theater, Nevermore, Queensrÿche, Priest, and many more groups. Often I was helped by enthusiastic Room posts, particularly with DT.

Being proggie means continuously taking up new challenges  *horns*

Else one becomes a self-righteous sourpuss  ;)

Nicky.

Good call Nicky. Anyone who can get into Yes straight away has my highest regard. It certainly took a while.

I actually find the music that took the longest to like stays with me the longest. If you know what I mean.

It is a bit like Bitter (the beer) I don't know anyone who liked it the first time, it sort of grows on you until you really like it.

Deenfan

Heavy stuff, Nicky. I've grown into liking quite a few things that I wasn't sure about to begin with, but some things I've digested completely without aquiring a taste for it. I do understand many things I don't like. I know them. I've heard them for thirty years, being done over and over in various settings, in many variations. I've "gotten" 'em. I can even play a lot of them, myself. So there is no need to check it out further. I know the difference between what I don't like and what I don't "get" yet.

Compulsory embracement of everything is just a sign of being without any taste at all.

Over to you. ;)

Nicky007

Now this is the Shadow Gallery thread, and altho I'm sure that the SG guys would enjoy a lively discussion on music, I'l keep it short here.

I agree that

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2009-11-28, 21:17:13
embracement of everything is just a sign of being without any taste at all.

I think the decisive factor is how passionate one is about music. Most of my life, music has been essential to me, so I'v been on a constant outlook for great music. And fortunately, these times are a playground for proggies  *horns*

I think my prog pantheon reflects both the diversity I seek in music plus my insistence on quality.

I have no other principles than quality, and if I realise that an antipathy bars my way to some great stuff, than I work on my antipathy  :-\

And what is quality ?  That's a hard one. Guess it means mastering ones instrument and genre(s), and having an ear for that very elusive magic thingy called music  ;)

It appears that where I differ from other Roomies (and from Ms 007) is that I go for what I'd call big music:  Music that's sweeping in scope, lyrically, musically, graphically, and in all other ways, but of course also with an insistence on detail.  Examples:  Priest's Nostradamus, Loomis' Zero Order Phase (no lyrics there, none necessary), Ten's Twilight Chronicles, and Arena's Contagion (kiddin with the last one, of course)  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Deenfan

This is turning out to be a very good discussion. But it's probably also run its course. I see no reason to work on antipathies, unless they are purely conjured-up compulsive reactions that will only bring you a lot of bother. Maybe I'm not talking about antipathies, either, but about things that truly hit the wrong strings inside. These elements of music are how they are, and I'd be very careful about changing the inner strings. They are a part of who you are, deep inside. I prefer music to be pleasing, inspiring and comforting me. Not punch me in the gut and double-fucking-dare me and challenge me. I don't need that. Life is like that already. Music is a haven. It is my inner Eden.

I guess... There's a snake there, and that is fine, but I prefer it doesn't frequently force a rotten apple down my throat. To put it that way.

What ever new Shadow Gallery brings along this time, I'll give ample time and many chances. They've shown already that they're worth it. What ever good ol' SG-ery goes on, I'm fairly pleased about, as long as it's not a replica of older songs. What ever old and well recognizable stuff they bring along, that is only new to SG, is not new. It's nothing I need to re-analyze. If I already like it, I'll like it coming from SG. (Though I'd be mildly surprised to find a speed metal Chris de Burgh chorus on any of the songs...). If I already hate it, I'll hate it coming from SG. With a vengeance. Because this time, I care. What crap Arse Revolta or Nickleodeonback fill their albums with, I'm happy to say, isn't likely to bring me any heartache.

Herben

I started to listen to Shadow Gallery too and I like it, although I am not really into their latest album yet maybe that will come...
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

PH

Quote from: Herben on Tue, 2011-08-30, 20:20:13
I started to listen to Shadow Gallery too and I like it, although I am not really into their latest album yet maybe that will come...

I've only heard their first album and liked it quite a bit. I think I need to listen to more albums. Too bad their former singer is no more. :(

Good to see you back Herben! ;)