News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Shadow Gallery

Started by Rafal, Thu, 2005-06-09, 16:57:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafal

I wonder if anyone here has already bought SG's  new album ('Room V')? Is it really as good as 'Tyranny' (some of the reviewers claim so) ? Personally I find Shadow Gallery's 'Tyranny' the only album that can rival Arena in terms of the quality of the songwriting. Nearly every track is an instant winner. But of course lyrically the bands are worlds apart. Have you noticed that the British progressive concept albums are full of metaphors, symbols and are subjects to various interpretations (such as 'Visitor' and 'Subterranea'), while American prog-metal groups rely heavily on direct crime-story action plots ('Operation...', 'Scenes... 'and 'Tyranny').  I would say that Ayreon tends to follow the American school lyrically. Back to the topic though: any comments on 'Room V' ?

Proglady

Hi Rafal, :)

I've bought the Album a few days ago and I love it! :-* I got all Albums from them. ;D But I wouldn't compare Shadow Gallery with Arena  ::)

Cheers Proglady

Moonloop

I used to have the first one but wasn't overly impressed with it - have they changed much since then ??  :)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Proglady

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-06-10, 08:30:37
I used to have the first one but wasn't overly impressed with it - have they changed much since then ??  :)

Well, I already liked the first album. But 'Tyranny' is much better and I think 'Room V' is their best album so far. You should give the Band another chance.  ;)

Deenfan

The first one is someone's favourite, and I see their point, but mine is "Carved in stone" by miles and miles. I would point it out as their lyrical all high. "Tyranny" is great. "Legacy" was good, but their low point so far. Just listening to "Room V" for the first time. It's them, alright. Other than that, I'll have to give it more listens.

The Voyager

Â I like their previous effort. "Legacy" was a very good album (although, nothing extraordinary).  8)

Moonloop

Quote from: Proglady on Fri, 2005-06-10, 21:25:20
Well, I already liked the first album. But 'Tyranny' is much better and I think 'Room V' is their best album so far. You should give the Band another chance.  ;)

Oh, go on then......I'll buy it  ;D

POM

I got it since friday, for my boyfriend. So he listened to that Room V all the week-end, and I found it pretty good.
Do not know very much about the band so far, but I'll take time to listen to previous albums too...

Going to buy next days the next Dreamtheater...

Deenfan

Strange about Dream Theater... I was a hysterical fan around "When dream and day unite" and "Images and words", but now, I've got the latest one on a cd-r that a friend sent me from Scotland, but I haven't bothered to put it on yet. Weird how it developed, really. :-[

Shadow Gallery, however, is another matter. I can't say anything about the latest yet, but they've always been delivering the goods.

Nic

Hello there !

I am a huge fan of Shadow Gallery since I discovered the band in 1997 with the "Tyrany" album which I considered their best effort so far.

The new album "Room V" is actually most impressive !!!  :o
It continues the story of Tyrany but in a different atmposphere and I like the fact that this album isn't just a "Tyrany-part 2".
To make short, I'd say that this new album is a fine combination of the strong story and cohesion of "Tyrany" and the more modern and straightforward sound of "Legacy".

Two thumbs up !  8)

PS: Regarding the new Dream Theater album "Octavarium", I'm actually very positive about it. It is softer and more proggy than the last one (Train of Thought) with still some very heavy piece of music. Except one cheesy "U2-ish" song and an anoying Muse-like compo, I'm seduced by this new piece of work.

Herben

Hey You ShadowGallery fans would You also vote for the best Shadowlandsong?
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Deenfan

Haven't heard a note of their music. You vote on my behalf!! ;D

Appelmoes??

Never heard a song. Maybe I should "borrow" a couple of songs before I decide to order an album. Which songs would give a general idea of the music?
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

kmorse

Appelmoes,

Go to their web site, http://www.shadowgallery.com/ , and listen to some samples. There are plenty of them and I think they are long enough that you'll get a good idea of what they sound like.

If you like Dream Theater, I think you'll like Shadow Gallery. The band's name even seems to be a play on the name.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Proglady

Quote from: kmorse on Thu, 2005-08-18, 21:06:54
Appelmoes,

If you like Dream Theater, I think you'll like Shadow Gallery. The band's name even seems to be a play on the name.

Hm, not everybody wich likes Shadow Gallery likes Dream Theater and the other way  ::), but i like both  ;D

maddox

shadow gallery are great. love their new cd. just heard it about 10 times, and it still rocks me.

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-08-18, 18:30:08
Never heard a song. Maybe I should "borrow" a couple of songs before I decide to order an album. Which songs would give a general idea of the music?
So I'm not the only one who doesn't know shadowgallery, I'll find out

Spad

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-08-18, 18:30:08

... contrary of most of others Shadow-fans I really love Legacy, especially for what I think is their best track ever..... Cliffhanger 2!!!! You have absolutely to listen to second instrumental part, six minutes of incredible solos, riff, time-changing, great melodies, guitars and keys chasing each others....... really breath-taking!!!!!! :-)

The second song you really HAVE TO liste (ever IMO, of course) is Believe from their masterpiece Tyranny wich has the best poly-vocals harmonized chorus I've ever heard!!!! Something wonderful.........

Other tracks I like (not in any particular order... ):
- Darktown (from their debut self-titled album)
- Cliffhanger (from Carved In Stone)
- Colors (from Legacy)
- Comfort Me & Room V (from Room V)
.... and all the others!!!!

Looking at the new musical direction took by Dream Theater I really love more Shadow Gallery, though Octavarium is a very good work which I like more than the previous.......
Points of view!!!!   ;)

Good listen!
Bye. Spad.

Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Herben

Quote from: Spad on Wed, 2005-09-21, 16:31:57
Looking at the new musical direction took by Dream Theater I really love more Shadow Gallery, though Octavarium is a very good work which I like more than the previous.......
I was a little dissapointed about Octavarium I like to listen to the album Train of Thought much more there's more energy in it like Threshold. In which direction would You place Shadow Gallery more in the Train of Thought or Octavarium direction, or does it have more similarities with Threshold or a more heavier band like Symphony X (too heavy for me)

Emilia

Another Shadow gallery fan here!  :) got all their albums, "Carved in Stone" and "Tyranny" being my favourite? any questions?  ;)
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Moonloop

Just got the new one (2CD version) over the weekend but not played it yet. Will report back with an opinion later  ;D

Spad

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-10-06, 13:40:05
Just got the new one (2CD version) over the weekend but not played it yet. Will report back with an opinion later  ;D

Great!! The double is really worth the more money you spent!!!!! Especially for the great Floyd old-covers medley.... Really a great track!
And the album is also something special and extremely beautiful......

Have a good listen!!  :D And don't forget to listen to Floydian Memories..... it'll surely astonish you!!

Bye.
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

erik

Quote from: Emilia on Thu, 2005-10-06, 13:01:16
Another Shadow gallery fan here!  :) got all their albums, "Carved in Stone" and "Tyranny" being my favourite? any questions?  ;)
Emilia
And here's another one! :)  I stuck to their first two albums though, with Carved In Stone as absolute favourite. Did like Tyranny, but gave it away  ´cause whenever I´m in a `Shadow Gallery mood´ I allways put on one of the first two. ;D
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Emilia

Quote from: erik on Thu, 2005-10-06, 15:52:20
And here's another one! :)  I stuck to their first two albums though, with Carved In Stone as absolute favourite. Did like Tyranny, but gave it away  ´cause whenever I´m in a `Shadow Gallery mood´ I allways put on one of the first two. ;D
Yes, Carved in Stone was really special (my first SG album). In terms of music maybe not so complex and varied as Tyranny or Room V but to be honest I like the vocals more on the Craved in Stone album, I regret they abandoned this style and went into a slightly different direction .... though Tyranny is my second favourite in terms of music (and the message included is this one is closer to me..of course I interpret it in my own way :) so it's a double history for me. Room V seems to be everyone's favourite (or almost 99%) but it takes only 3rd place for me. It's not as powerful and not so coherent musically I guess ...but the story there seems to be more obvious as a continuation of Tyranny story, I think Tyranny is more open to interpretation, more misterious maybe... but ok, everyone has got their own taste...still SG being in my top 3 bands of all times

E.
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Moonloop

Must admit, I'm struggling a bit with the new one. Mainly because it's a bit heavy going at 75 mins. Personally, I tend to have a boredom threshold of around 50-60 minutes for an album (grew up on vinyl, see) and this modern day trend of trying to fill an 80 minute CD very rarely works in my opinion.

Still, I'll keep listening  ;D