News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Igg Music

Started by Iggy, Sun, 2008-04-20, 14:02:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-12-28, 08:53:55
Right, Igly  ;D

Thanks for correcting. It's a delight for my eagle's eye. Now it's only Steve from whom you'v hacked the last t  :D

Nicky.

There you go.

Nicky007

Fine, Iggy  :)

I saw that you have Circus Maximus, Dream Theater, Opeth, Shadow Gallery, and Vanden Plas on your list. If you want more class music in that vein, I can recommend Sieges Even, Stride, Angra, Seventh Wonder, Scar Symmetry, and Nevermore.

I wish you and Ms rapid recovery from your flu  :)

You still have errors with R.E.M. and Rick Wakeman.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-12-28, 18:58:20
Fine, Iggy  :)

I saw that you have Circus Maximus, Dream Theater, Opeth, Shadow Gallery, and Vanden Plas on your list. If you want more class music in that vein, I can recommend Sieges Even, Stride, Angra, Seventh Wonder, Scar Symmetry, and Nevermore.

I wish you and Ms rapid recovery from your flu  :)

You still have errors with R.E.M. and Rick Wakeman.

Nicky.

I have TGE by Nevermore and quite enjoy it but haven't purchased any of the others yet.

Seventh Wonder don't seem readily accessible at the moment (for a reasonable price).

just ordered a Sieges Even Cd.

The others will go on my wish list.

As I think I said before knowing you guys is expensive but the music is more often than not worth it!

btw I fixed the other named bands. I wait with bated breath to find out my other spelling mistakes.  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-12-28, 20:23:52
I wait with bated breath to find out my other spelling mistakes.  ;D

Since you mention it, Iggy, there are also Ayreon, Darwin's Radio, and Lightning Seeds, and you're missing Nevermore in your list, but else it seems to me that everything is correct.

I have TGE by Nevermore and quite enjoy it but haven't purchased any of the others yet.

TGE is my fave album by any band. Particularly the title track is totally over the top  *horns*

My guess is that you'l really start enjoying the album after some ten listens.

All albums by Nevermore except the first self-titled are top-league imo.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Another update back to * for new bands

Nicky007

No spelling mistakes this time, Iggy  *horns*

I'm happy to know that I'm partly responsible for those *'s  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-02-04, 23:57:50
No spelling mistakes this time, Iggy  *horns*

I'm happy to know that I'm partly responsible for those *'s  8)

Nicky.

Indeed you are.

Iggy

A few more additions **

Spell checker Nicky on your marks.  ;D

Iggy

Just added.

A.C.T
Blind Ego
Lunatic Soul
Nosound
Phideaux

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2009-11-10, 14:06:26
Nosound

Don't know'm (heard no sound), Iggy. What are they like ?  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-11-10, 14:12:27
Don't know'm (heard no sound), Iggy. What are they like ?  :)

Nicky.

Hmmm very difficult to put into words. Electronic and Ambient are 2 that spring to mind but it doesn't really sum them up. I will need to concentrate more next time I play them.

maddox

If i may. ...  ;)

NoSound is an Italian band, started by Giancarlo Erra (actually, you can consider him the mastermind of Nosound).

Thus far they've released three real albums ( Sol29, Lightdark which is a gem and their latest effort Sense Of Loss which just has been released) and one EP called Clouds.

Music wise they can be compared with early Porcupine Tree and No Man, which is a side project of über-busy Steven Wilson, call it ambient prog music if you will.

Hope you don't mind that i filled in some blanks, Iggy.  :-[

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2009-11-10, 21:47:41
If i may. ...  ;)

NoSound is an Italian band, started by Giancarlo Erra (actually, you can consider him the mastermind of Nosound).

Thus far they've released three real albums ( Sol29, Lightdark which is a gem and their latest effort Sense Of Loss which just has been released) and one EP called Clouds.

Music wise they can be compared with early Porcupine Tree and No Man, which is a side project of über-busy Steven Wilson, call it ambient prog music if you will.

Hope you don't mind that i filled in some blanks, Iggy.  :-[

Delighted. Thanks Mad

Iggy

Hmm I seem to have forgotten to add Gazpacho somewhere along the line.  ::)

Nicky007

Iggy, I just saw that you had Sparks on your list. I had a friend who played some Sparks for me some 30 years ago, and I quite enjoyed'm then.

My questions to you are:  Do they still sound good today ?  And if yes, which album(s) can you recom (for today) ?

Anything else you can recom that I havent mentioned in the Room ?

To you I can recommend Priest's Nostradamus (2 cd's), and if you like Ten, Gary Hughes and friends' Once And Future King, Parts 1 & 2 (2 cd's)  :)

Actually, it didnt occur to me earlier, but these two collections are quite similar - and quite close to Yes music too. You get a lot in the package:  Top-rate varied music, thought-provoking stories, and gripping performances  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-11-21, 13:45:10
Iggy, I just saw that you had Sparks on your list. I had a friend who played some Sparks for me some 30 years ago, and I quite enjoyed'm then.

My questions to you are:  Do they still sound good today ?  And if yes, which album(s) can you recom (for today) ?

Anything else you can recom that I havent mentioned in the Room ?

To you I can recommend Priest's Nostradamus (2 cd's), and if you like Ten, Gary Hughes and friends' Once And Future King, Parts 1 & 2 (2 cd's)  :)

Actually, it didnt occur to me earlier, but these two collections are quite similar - and quite close to Yes music too. You get a lot in the package:  Top-rate varied music, thought-provoking stories, and gripping performances  *horns*

Nicky.

Ta for the rec's.

I have to admit I still only have the early Spark's CD's i.e. Propaganda, Kimomo My House and Indiscreet and I guess it was reliving my teens when I bought them. Having said that thjough I do give them a spin from time to time.

Nicky007

Iggy, just went thru your band list (again) in the first post in this thread. Fine list, good groups, varied taste  8)

Also saw that I got you onto Ten a while ago. Well, here's another group I'd like to draw your attention to: Royal Hunt.

I'd like to particularly recommend their album Collision Course (2008). It's about the background of Christianity and Islam, their mutual collisions thru the ages, and jihad today. Formidable lyrics and music !

I find that a comparison with Floyd's the Wall is merited here. Collision Course is up there, and as The Wall, it's an in-yer-face statement on humanity.

The musicianship is top-league too. Mark Boals is a formidable singer.

I find all RH albums from Paradox (1997) to X (2010) great. My fave is Collision Course.

Musically Royal Hunt are quite close to Arena. Strangely, Roomies don't (wanna) realise this ;-)

I'v stopped posting samples in the NP thread, as nobody seemed to be interested  :(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2012-09-15, 15:17:19
Iggy, just went thru your band list (again) in the first post in this thread. Fine list, good groups, varied taste  8)

Also saw that I got you onto Ten a while ago. Well, here's another group I'd like to draw your attention to: Royal Hunt.

I'd like to particularly recommend their album Collision Course (2008). It's about the background of Christianity and Islam, their mutual collisions thru the ages, and jihad today. Formidable lyrics and music !

I find that a comparison with Floyd's the Wall is merited here. Collision Course is up there, and as The Wall, it's an in-yer-face statement on humanity.

The musicianship is top-league too. Mark Boals is a formidable singer.

I find all RH albums from Paradox (1997) to X (2010) great. My fave is Collision Course.

Musically Royal Hunt are quite close to Arena. Strangely, Roomies don't (wanna) realise this ;-)

I'v stopped posting samples in the NP thread, as nobody seemed to be interested  :(

Nicky.

I already own Collision Course and Paradox but haven't listened to them that much.

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2012-09-30, 20:09:12
I already own Collision Course and Paradox but haven't listened to them that much.

Well, play Collision Course a couple more times, and you'l be impressed, I assure you  ;)

Steve J is into'm now too, as you may have noticed (my guess is from reading my previous post here, but I'm not sure he'l admit it)  :)

Iggy, what motivated you to buy CC and Paradox at the time ? They'r not well known in the West (more in Russia and Japan).

It's a strange thing about Royal Hunt: I actually also sampled a song or two of theirs occasionally over the years, lately on YouTube, each time concluding that "this is just another keyboard-driven band makin songs á la Journey." I probably wouldnt have gotten a cd by them, for an even longer while iac, if I hadnt fallen over a cheap copy of CC. But man, did that change everything .....  *horns*

I really hope that they can raise themselves after the disappointing Show Me How To Live. I believe that they could get real big with a bit of help from their friends (fans, like me). Man, they have made some real killer songs (aint that so, Jonesey), that I consider should be accessible to a broad audience, beyond just proggies, also people who like groups like Muse, Coldplay, The Killers. RH are sooooo much more exciting.

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2012-10-01, 08:31:51
Well, play Collision Course a couple more times, and you'l be impressed, I assure you  ;)

Steve J is into'm now too, as you may have noticed (my guess is from reading my previous post here, but I'm not sure he'l admit it)  :)

Iggy, what motivated you to buy CC and Paradox at the time ? They'r not well known in the West (more in Russia and Japan).

It's a strange thing about Royal Hunt: I actually also sampled a song or two of theirs occasionally over the years, lately on YouTube, each time concluding that "this is just another keyboard-driven band makin songs á la Journey." I probably wouldnt have gotten a cd by them, for an even longer while iac, if I hadnt fallen over a cheap copy of CC. But man, did that change everything .....  *horns*

I really hope that they can raise themselves after the disappointing Show Me How To Live. I believe that they could get real big with a bit of help from their friends (fans, like me). Man, they have made some real killer songs (aint that so, Jonesey), that I consider should be accessible to a broad audience, beyond just proggies, also people who like groups like Muse, Coldplay, The Killers. RH are sooooo much more exciting.

- Nicky

OK I played CC a few more times and really enjoyed it.

As to your question about paradox. I can't remember why I bought it apart from the fact that when I like new bands I like to go back to their begining and see how they started. Don't know if that makes any sense but when I find new bands I usually do this.

I for example I love Subterranea, The Seventh House and Dark Matter more than their earlier stuff may bcause I purchased them first. Who knows?

DT the same I think I got scenes from a memory first and then worked my way backwards but to this day Scenes and Octovarium are my favs.

Nicky007

Iggy, when I find really great bands like Dream Theater, Arena, and Royal Hunt, then I want to have their entire catalogues - with some exceptions, like I don't have the first DT, as it's a rather poor start for such a fine group, and I'm not planning to get the first two RH-albums, as the singer was Danish and sang with an accent, and the songs arent nearly as strong as they got with Paradox, their fourth studio album.

Re Paradox, it's a bit of a paradox to me: You write "When I like new bands I like to go back to their beginning and see how they started", but you wrote earlier that you hadnt listened much to RH ... but maybe you actually did like Collision Course somewhat right after you got it ?

If so, what got you to buy CC ?

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2012-10-06, 11:54:21
Iggy, when I find really great bands like Dream Theater, Arena, and Royal Hunt, then I want to have their entire catalogues - with some exceptions, like I don't have the first DT, as it's a rather poor start for such a fine group, and I'm not planning to get the first two RH-albums, as the singer was Danish and sang with an accent, and the songs arent nearly as strong as they got with Paradox, their fourth studio album.

Re Paradox, it's a bit of a paradox to me: You write "When I like new bands I like to go back to their beginning and see how they started", but you wrote earlier that you hadnt listened much to RH ... but maybe you actually did like Collision Course somewhat right after you got it ?

If so, what got you to buy CC ?

- Nicky

I can't remember as it was in 2009 I think. If I had to guess it was probably you who mentioned them. Although it could have been the DC Cooper link via Amaran's Plight

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2012-10-07, 13:48:41
I can't remember as it was in 2009 I think. If I had to guess it was probably you who mentioned them.

Can't be, as at that time RH were just another amorphous keyboard-driven rock group to me  :-\

My picken'm up two months ago was pure serendipity, but what serendipity  *horns*

Although it could have been the DC Cooper link via Amaran's Plight

More likely. Well whatever, Iggy, let's go now .....  8)

Let's hear what Jonesey thinks about Intervention and The Mission, if he's not become incommunicado again  :P

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Hum, actually, I mentioned Paradox in the NP thread by the time (I am not certain that it was in 2009, I would have to check all my posts for that ...). And I mentioned it in good terms, if I recall. So maybe, to the risk of being pretentious, that could be the explanation  ;D

I have a 2 CDs special edition, the second CD offering a live rendition of the whole studio album ... the problem being that it is hard to notice the "live" factor since the songs are almost identical to the studio versions and you can't notice that there is an audience there :P

A good album though, but lacking a few guitar riffs since it is very keyboards driven.

Iggy

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2012-10-08, 17:32:11
Hum, actually, I mentioned Paradox in the NP thread by the time (I am not certain that it was in 2009, I would have to check all my posts for that ...). And I mentioned it in good terms, if I recall. So maybe, to the risk of being pretentious, that could be the explanation  ;D

I have a 2 CDs special edition, the second CD offering a live rendition of the whole studio album ... the problem being that it is hard to notice the "live" factor since the songs are almost identical to the studio versions and you can't notice that there is an audience there :P

A good album though, but lacking a few guitar riffs since it is very keyboards driven.

Bupie I do apologise if I got it wrong. However one way or another the room has cost me a fortune.  *horns*