News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Best year for Prog

Started by PH, Sun, 2012-02-05, 23:31:09

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

So, last year (2011) we had a great year for Prog! With releases like Steven Wilson's "Grace For Drowning", Dream Theater with "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", Neal Morse's new album and of course Arena with their seventh album! And that's not all, because there were even more excellent releases in 2011.

2010 also had some fine releases, like albums by Haken, Spock's Beard, Gazpacho, Star One and Kaipa ("In The Wake Of Evolution" is a personal favourite of mine), but in my opinion 2010 can't catch up with 2011.

But my all time favourite year for Prog is probably 2005, because this was the year in which I discovered Progressive Rock. Many of my favourite albums were released in 2005 and some of them had left a big impression on me back then:

Arena - "Pepper's Ghost"
Dream Theater - "Octavarium"
Kino - "Picture"
Magic Pie - "Motions Of Desire"
Neal Morse - "?"
Porcupine Tree - "Deadwing"
RPWL - "World Through My Eyes"
Satellite - "Evening Games"
Spock's Beard - "Octane"
Stream Of Passion - "Embrace The Storm"

I'm probably even forgetting a few. ;)

So what is YOUR favourite year for Prog?

Bupie

Interesting thread, PH. I'll have to think about it.

Do you know where can be found lists of prog releases by year ?

tired_of_dancing

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-02-05, 23:31:09

But my all time favourite year for Prog is probably 2005, because this was the year in which I discovered Progressive Rock.

That was for me 1985, due to Marillion and "Misplaced childhood."
There was also IQ-The Wake in 1985 but their album had no "Kayleigh". What a commercial thing. I remember the vid on MTV and the poster in "Bravo".
I think in generell my deeper musical live began in 1985. Had listened a bit to Abba and Supertramp before but Misplaced childhood really blew me away.

Ah, and not to forget in 1985 - The Life Aid Concert.  *horns*
'I can do anything, I'm still the child.'

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2012-02-06, 11:31:44
Interesting thread, PH. I'll have to think about it.

Do you know where can be found lists of prog releases by year ?

I'm not sure a list with all prog releases sorted by year exists, but this comes close:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp

It's a list of the top 100 prog releases of all time, but you can adjust the settings and make a top 100 of 2005 for example.

Quote from: tired_of_dancing on Mon, 2012-02-06, 14:29:27
That was for me 1985, due to Marillion and "Misplaced childhood."
There was also IQ-The Wake in 1985 but their album had no "Kayleigh". What a commercial thing. I remember the vid on MTV and the poster in "Bravo".
I think in generell my deeper musical live began in 1985. Had listened a bit to Abba and Supertramp before but Misplaced childhood really blew me away.

Ah, and not to forget in 1985 - The Life Aid Concert.  *horns*

So, your favourite year for prog is 1985, based on these two albums?
You are easily satisfied. ::)

tired_of_dancing

@ Paco
Sure, Misplaced Childhood counts for 10 normal releases.  ;D
1985 is just from my personal point of view. I was referring to your 2005, because 1985 was the year I discovered prog.
'I can do anything, I'm still the child.'

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-02-05, 23:31:09

So what is YOUR favourite year for Prog?

Probably 71 or 72  ;D

I also liked
Opeth - Heritage
Yes - Fly From Here
Agents of Mercy - The Black Forest
Discipline - To Shatter All Accord
Pendragon - Passion

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2012-02-06, 15:05:44
I'm not sure a list with all prog releases sorted by year exists, but this comes close:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp

It's a list of the top 100 prog releases of all time, but you can adjust the settings and make a top 100 of 2005 for example.
That would probably be more than enough but I do'nt think it works like that (or I could not make it). By picking 2005, I just got the 2005 albums that are on the all-time 250 albums list. But maybe I just don't understand the process.

I tried to think about my personal favourite albums/bands but it did not give me a significant year, even if 1985 indeed could be a contender because of Misplaced and a few others. Ot as Iggy wrote, a year of the 70's. But I can understand that you are skeptical about years prior to your birth  ;)

Teunis

I found 2011 a great progyear, but 2009 was even better with releases like:
Blind Ego - Numb
Gazpacho - Tick Tock
Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day
IQ - Frequency
Knight Area - Realm Of Shadows
Moonrise - Soul's Inner Pendulum
Muse - The Resistance
Satellite - Nostalgia
Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
Steve Thorne - Into The Ether
Ulysses - The Gift Of Tears
*horns* 8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)