News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Iced Earth

Started by funkster, Tue, 2011-11-01, 16:07:56

Previous topic - Next topic

funkster

After listening to and enjoying Dystopia i wondered whether your good selves could recommend anything
else by this band ?

Bupie

I have the Live In Athens (= 3 Cds) and it's really good. I think you can't go wrong with this one  ;)

PH

Are there also studio albums you can't go wrong with?

Bupie

Well ... I don't know since I only have this live album  :P It's very good but it did not convince me enough to go for studio albums. It seems to me that Iced Earth has too much of a down to earth and cold (iced ?) style of heavy metal for my taste. Besides, Jon Schaffer seems to carry nationalist beliefs that make me uncomfortable, to say the least ...

I do have the second album of the Schaffer/Kürsch project Demons & Wizards, entitled Touched By The Crimson King, but I would not recommend it. Too cold and down to earth heavy metal for my taste.

funkster

I have enjoyed Something wicked this way comes and will give some more of their work a go

So far i am enjoying what i hear

Nicky007

Iced Earth are pantheon with me  *horns*

I like their energy, there's lotta melody and great musicianship, several formidable vocalists, particularly Tim Ripper Owens (who also sang on Priest's fine albums Jugulator, Demolition, and Live in London), and intriguing lyrics.

I particularly like the two Something Wicked albums, Framing Armageddon (2007) and The Crucible of Man (2008). The music is fabulous, and the lyrics are really challenging: Who is this Set Abominae ? Is he good or evil, or both, and seen from who's perspective ? Who are the Setians, and what is their relationship to us humans ? There is a lotta symbolism and moral questions to entertain the mind. Absolutely recommendable to metalheads who like to be challenged musically and intellectually  ;)

Also their Glorious Burden, with the heart-wrenching When The Eagle Cries (about 9/11), and the shattering epic Gettysburg, is terrific, particularly if one is interested in American heritage (as I am, for one my dad is from South Dakota).

Yes, Bupie, they are proud of their heritage, and rather uncritically nationalistic, but hey, they do have somethin to be proud of  ;)

I havent yet heard Dystopia, but as Funky likes it and the reviews are positive, I'l have to get it soon  :)

Get any album from Something Wicked This Way Comes (1998) on, and you'l have some great music with challenging lyrics  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

I once, impulsively, bought the Live in Athens 3cd which I really like to be honest but somehow it didn't persuade me to buy anymore of the band.
I don't really find anything progressive about Iced Earth, just good ol' heavy metal, the Iron Maiden way which isn't a bad thing.

Maybe I'll buy a bit more of them in the future, don't know.

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

funkster

Started listening to Glorious Burden and enjoying it so far.

it is more power metal than prog metal but the lyrical concepts are as prog as you like  *horns* 

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2011-11-03, 12:54:26
it is more power metal than prog metal but the lyrical concepts are as prog as you like  *horns*

That, I'd say, is a very precise characterisation of Iced Earth. I would add that the musicianship is top-notch, plus they have much more/better melody and more edge than Iron Maiden  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2011-11-03, 14:46:01
That, I'd say, is a very precise characterisation of Iced Earth. I would add that the musicianship is top-notch, plus they have much more/better melody and more edge than Iron Maiden  :)

Nicky.

Nicky and Funkster in agreement shocker  ;)

I have been bored with Maiden since 7th Son and other bands have more than filled the void

maddox

Nicky and Funkster has no idea what reall music is all about.  :P

PH

Real music is about music!

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2011-11-03, 16:20:21
Nicky and Funkster has no idea what real music is all about.  :P

We may agree on Iced Earth, but that doesnt mean that we've become one in sin  ;D

Maiden milked the Priest cow and made it big. When the cow stopped lactating, Priest got themselves a fresh cow, while Maiden kept beating the old cow, and whatever spills outta this poor miserable creature, they manage to sell to the fans as fresh milk  ;)

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2011-11-03, 18:32:43
Real music is about music!

Whooee, Paxi, that really makes sense  ::)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

I won't bother to go off topic since this thread is about Iced Earth but comparing Maiden to Priest is to compare Britney Spears to Amy Winehouse, may she rest in peace. ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2011-11-04, 17:06:10
I won't bother to go off topic since this thread is about Iced Earth

You'r right about that, Mad, but I just wanna ask: Have you properly listened to the later Priest albums: Jugulator, Demolition, Angel of Retribution, and of course, Nostradamus ? Here, Priest have taken the lead (together with DT and some other great bands) in progmetal. Super edgy, exciting albums with exceptionally challenging lyrics  *horns* *horns* *horns*

So, I'l stop being the Priest priest for a while now  ;)

And, back to Iced Earth: Yup, definitely also a leading progmetal band, but mainly in the philosophical department  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Framing armageddon  *horns*

I am most impressed and then some