News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Which is the best Arena album ?

Started by il76candid, Fri, 2007-01-05, 09:29:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2007-03-21, 11:40:17
And errmm... I agree with you!

PH, you're continuing to beat around the bush (doesn't seem to have changed during the last few months). If you get around to listening properly to Contagion, you'll realise how magnificent this album is.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

What are you talking about man?
Contagion is awesome!

Appelmoes??

It's the best! It's Arena's "Scenes from a Memory" or "Snow" or "V"...
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2007-08-19, 00:33:31
What are you talking about man?
Contagion is awesome!
Yep, it's my favorite album too  *horns* 8).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

bellanova

I agree its a brilliant album. I have to admit it has a special place in my heart as it is the first Arena album i bought. I just wish i had discovered them sooner!

johninblack

Quote from: bellanova on Sun, 2007-08-19, 10:24:33
I agree its a brilliant album. I have to admit it has a special place in my heart as it is the first Arena album i bought. I just wish i had discovered them sooner!

Yep, same story here. It is a fabulous album, up there with Dark Side Of The Moon and other such works of genius.

Nicky007

Quote from: bellanova on Sun, 2007-08-19, 10:24:33

Right on point there, Bella. It wasn't my first meeting with Arena, but it sure has a special place in my heart, just like Dark Side, as with Johnny boy.

So now that we've seen the light, or heard the angels sing, it's our holy duty to spread the message - in each our way. I think we owe it to Clive & Co. They did the hard work of genius, so we can do the field work.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

smolley

Deenfan

This question (on the topic here) is easy to answer. In Arena's case, the best album is at any give time their latest studio album.

They are the only band I know of who can say "this is our best album to date" and not lie.

PH

Quote from: Deenfan on Thu, 2008-02-28, 23:59:34
This question (on the topic here) is easy to answer. In Arena's case, the best album is at any give time their latest studio album.

They are the only band I know of who can say "this is our best album to date" and not lie.

I think I agree, but there is one exception (in my opinion).
I prefer "Songs From The Lion's Cage" over "Pride".

-Paco

Deenfan

No, you don't! ;D

Just hum to yourself... "Silently calling........."

or "Digging deep, for something of value. How much more must I tear at the soil? ................. "

or "Innocence of acquaintance or liaison - The darker side of hunger and need............."

or "What did you do when you woke today..............................And the choices you made"

Magic. So much of it on one album. The only thing is that you must burn your own copy where you have exchanged the acapella thing with the one from "The cry". ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Thu, 2008-02-28, 23:59:34

OK, I guess the Room is divvied up into the Contagion Cult and the Pepper's Cult.

I belong to the first - and I'm proud of it  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-02-29, 11:56:06
OK, I guess the Room is divvied up into the Contagion Cult and the Pepper's Cult.

Nicky.

Count me in your camp, Nick  ;)

Deenfan

But not much of a dive after so long on the rise, eh?

I admit, it's easy to see that Contagion can hardly be bettered. And it's hard to compare a symphonic album (C) with a song-based one (PG).

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-02-29, 11:56:06

Nicky.

I belong to the second.  :P

I agree with you on one thing Nicky: Pride is Awesome.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-02-29, 17:52:55
I agree with you on one thing Nicky: Pride is Awesome.  8)

And Kamelot too, and beer, and women (to make sure that Bupie joins us too)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Fri, 2008-02-29, 17:35:46
symphonic album (C)

Dont you mean "concept album", Deenie? - or what ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2008-03-01, 11:28:44
Well i prefer Whisky. And Rum.  ;)

And never mind.

You prefer "never mind" to what, Mad ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-03-01, 11:10:47
And Kamelot too, and beer, and women (to make sure that Bupie joins us too)  ;D

Nicky.

Tss, tss, what a bad reputation you are trying to give of me. By the way, has anybody got news from Bluey ?  Nicky, you made her run away with your sexist observations  :'(  ... or most probably this has something to do with her new job !

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Sat, 2008-03-01, 14:36:44
Tss, tss, what a bad reputation you are trying to give of me. By the way, has anybody got news from Bluey ?  Nicky, you made her run away with your sexist observations  :'(  ... or most probably this has something to do with her new job !

I think the latter.  :-\

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-03-01, 11:33:49
You prefer "never mind" to what, Mad ?

Nicky.

Never mind to all of the above.  ;)

Deenfan

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-03-01, 11:32:43
Dont you mean "concept album", Deenie? - or what ?

Nicky.

No, I mean symphonic, but I see the link. Conceptual albums have a tendency to appear a bit more symphonic than albums made up of separate songs with each a story of their own.

Nicky007

Now you're really muddling things up, Deenie:  The Almighty Clive Himself has defined Contagion as a "concept album" and Pepper's as a "conceptual album".

As I see it, "symphonic" rock is where you have either a real symphony orchestra, particularly strings, or synths, emphasizing the mood.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Deenfan

Ah, I thought you might be a picky bastard!!! ;D

A concept album is doomed to be an album that is conceptual. A concept cannot be non-conceptual?! Clive is trying to explain the difference between an album where all the lyrics participate in telling ultimately one main story, and an album where each lyric tells a different story, albeit within a certain area. Anyway, concept albums usually have segues and returning themes and transitions between songs, and songs with parts and all that. A track can be between one and two minutes without sending eyebrows off to the roof, as it is a little part of a bigger whole.

When I say Contagion is to me a bit more symphonic than Pepper's Ghost, it's because I think it's structurally reminiscent of a symphony to a higher degree than Pepper's Ghost, to put it carefully. The instrumentation is roughly the same on both anyway.

To me, Mr.Big - Lean into it wouldn't become a symphony no matter how many orchestras they threw into the mix. It'd just be a bunch of separate songs with a load of "beards" in the mix... :D