News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Epic Tour ??

Started by JJ II, Sun, 2005-10-09, 16:17:35

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ II

Hi all,

Last friday, I talked to Clive about the setlist. He noticed that some on this board were disappointed about Moviedrome. Personally, I don't miss it, but I think these long tracks always create a dilemma for a band: play more material, of play long material?
Since Arena has played many of their shorter songs (chosen, crack, midas, breathe, etc.) over the last tours quite regularly, I thought it would be in interesting question:

Would you like to have an Epic tour next time (just 10mins+ tracks)?

for example, the following 2 hours of music:
-Sirens
-Opera Fanatica
-Butterfly Man
-Elea/Hanging Tree
-Valley of the Kings
-Moviedrome
-Solomon

PH

Personally I'd like that, yes.

McMueller

Yea!!!

Big Idea!
They have enough material to do such a Tour!
Maby mixed with an condensed Version of Contagion ;-)

An interesting Tour: Cronology...

1. Intro (like Williams Tell Overture) 3:00
2. Out of the Wilderness 8:00
3. Valley of the Kings 10:00
4. Sirens 14:00
5. Visitor: A crack in the Ice; Pins & Needles; Double Vision; Elea 17:00
6. Contagion: This Way Madness lies; Spectre at the feast; Skin Game; Salamander;Riding the Tide;Cutting the Cards  27:00
7. Chosen 6:00
8. Butterfly Man 9:00
9. Moviedrome 20:00
10. Opera Fanatica 13:00
11. Solomon 15:00
12. Jericho 7:00

Encore
12. Climbing the Net 5:00
13. Fools Gold 10:00

2nd Encore
14. Welcome to the Cage 4:00

Playtime: 170 min, with some breaks between the Tracks maby 180 min

A very BIG GIG, unforgettable...

What do you think about a Tracklist like this one, I think 2 and half a hour is ok, IQ, Spock´s Beard or Transatlantic for example
also play 2 and half a hour, sometimes nearly 3 hours with encores, I´ve see IQ at Colos Saal and they played from 9 p.m. til 11:55 p.m. and I´m sure that Arena can do this too, I love the music and the Band very much...maby this dream of the Concert with a Setlist like the one I wrote down would come true...

It is only my dream???

PH

Quote from: McMueller on Sun, 2005-10-09, 16:55:11It is only my dream???

It's my dream too!! ;D

I think this is possible!
But there must be more than one break then, I guess...

Apart from that it looks fine!!

What do you think Clive? ;)

JJ II

HI guys,

Let's stay a bit reasonable: there's no way Arena's gonna play 3 hours! They won't have enough rehearsing time and they don't have the energy to do that every night (and they do play everynight, cause thats the only way to afford a tour)

Try to make a setlist of maximum 2 hours. Personally, I think an Epic tour only works if you don't violate the principle.

keyboardistmatt

It's a good idea, and it would be great to go see.  If the guys are up for doing a tour of that nature, all power to 'em! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Appelmoes??

Personally I would like to hear 1 or 2 longer tracks at a gig, but not a gig full of epic's. You don't get much variation I think.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

I'd be there, I'd even pay in advance. And more than usually, if that helps. And this wouldn't need to be a full-round of a tour... like 3 gigs in Germany would surely be alright... :P

No, for real, I'd do quite a lot to make that happen, really.

PS: Appelmoes: Thos tracks have variation within themselves, don't they...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2005-10-09, 20:59:36
PS: Appelmoes: Thos tracks have variation within themselves, don't they...
They do, but still a track is a track. I usually have specific memories with a track and in case of a concert like this, there would be less to associate with, less memories. To me a concert like this would feel "shorter".

My drawings on MySpace

Spad

Quote from: McMueller on Sun, 2005-10-09, 16:55:11
Yea!!!

Big Idea!
They have enough material to do such a Tour!
Maby mixed with an condensed Version of Contagion ;-)

An interesting Tour: Cronology...

1. Intro (like Williams Tell Overture) 3:00
2. Out of the Wilderness 8:00
3. Valley of the Kings 10:00
4. Sirens 14:00
5. Visitor: A crack in the Ice; Pins & Needles; Double Vision; Elea 17:00
6. Contagion: This Way Madness lies; Spectre at the feast; Skin Game; Salamander;Riding the Tide;Cutting the Cards  27:00
7. Chosen 6:00
8. Butterfly Man 9:00
9. Moviedrome 20:00
10. Opera Fanatica 13:00
11. Solomon 15:00
12. Jericho 7:00

Encore
12. Climbing the Net 5:00
13. Fools Gold 10:00

2nd Encore
14. Welcome to the Cage 4:00

Playtime: 170 min, with some breaks between the Tracks maby 180 min

A very BIG GIG, unforgettable...

What do you think about a Tracklist like this one, I think 2 and half a hour is ok, IQ, Spock´s Beard or Transatlantic for example
also play 2 and half a hour, sometimes nearly 3 hours with encores, I´ve see IQ at Colos Saal and they played from 9 p.m. til 11:55 p.m. and I´m sure that Arena can do this too, I love the music and the Band very much...maby this dream of the Concert with a Setlist like the one I wrote down would come true...

It is only my dream???

..... YES , YES, YES.... I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT!!!!!  *ola*

Even this time I've to totally agree with you.... I start thinking about we're tuned on the same frequency about prog, epics and Arena!!!!

But with the lenght of the show I've to agree with JJII (sadly, of course...  :'( ).
So, if I had to make some modifies to your setlist, I would strongly cut the Contagion and Visitor parts because of these two reason:
- we listened to the best track of these two albums almost at each gig in tha last 2-3 years (and even more for the Visitor)
- ... and as we are talking about an epic-tour, Visitor and Contagion don't contained any epics..... so......  ;)

Nevertheless I really love the two albums....

In the time gained, I would add Empire Of A Thousand Days and The Shattered Room and...... The Healer!!! Ok, I know it's not an epic, but it's such a great song and I've never listened to it live!!!!!  ;D  ;D So this would be for sure my dream track-list!!!

Bye.
Spad.
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Spad

Ok.... I make a summary:

- Intro: The William Tell's Overture
- Out Of The Wilderness
- Empire Of A Thousand Days
- The Butterfly Man
- Valley Of The Kings
- Fool's Gold
- Opera Fanatica
- Sirens
- Moviedrome
- The Shattered Room
- Jericho

ENCORES:
- Solomon
- The Healer

Yeah yeah yeah yeah..... "I'm the healer, with a flas of my hands I'll throw you both ends of the rope!!!!!" everybody...... all togheter....  *ola*

Spad

Quote from: Spad on Mon, 2005-10-10, 00:01:25
Ok.... I make a summary:

- Intro: The William Tell's Overture
- Out Of The Wilderness
- Empire Of A Thousand Days
- The Butterfly Man
- Valley Of The Kings
- Fool's Gold
- Opera Fanatica
- Sirens
- Moviedrome
- The Shattered Room
- Jericho

ENCORES:
- Solomon
- The Healer

Yeah yeah yeah yeah..... "I'm the healer, with a flas of my hands I'll throw you both ends of the rope!!!!!" everybody...... all togheter....  *ola*

... sorry.. I forgot.... total running time: approximately 2h 10'. Is it good JJII ???? ;)

PH

You just triple-posted LOL.

There's an edit button for a reason. ;)

Some good points were made.
And I like your list.

JJ II

Apart from the fact that the band detest The Healer...  :D

...well,... I think you took the concept a bit too far into the past. Having three epics from both Pride and Songs (6 in total), would make 3/5 of the band more of a cover-band, wouldn't it?  :D

But sticking to the subject: I think only one of the girls objected to the idea (why don't girls like long songs, by the way?), and the rest may think it's a great idea.

Should we make it a poll?

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2005-10-10, 08:45:59Apart from the fact that the band detest The Healer...  :D
? Really? Why?

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2005-10-10, 08:45:59...well,... I think you took the concept a bit too far into the past. Having three epics from both Pride and Songs (6 in total), would make 3/5 of the band more of a cover-band, wouldn't it?  :D
Absolutely right. There are some epics on the visitor and Immortal which will do just fine.

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2005-10-10, 08:45:59Should we make it a poll?
We should indeed!

Spad

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-10-10, 00:08:52

There's an edit button for a reason. ;)

... I just discovered it!!!  :o Thanks....  :D ... and sorry for the triple post!!  ;D

JJ II

Appelmoes?? wrote:
QuoteWhich girl  ???

Sorry Appelmoes, I meant: no girl has reacted enthusiastic (in fact: non reacted), and the only girl I heard about it (my wife), said she didn't like it. In general, I think girls don't like epics. They tend to find them boring and self-indulgent...

Saryna

...I think only one of the girls objected to the idea (why don't girls like long songs, by the way?), and the rest may think it's a great idea.

Should we make it a poll?

I don't believe any women objected. If you were referring to my post...check it again please. I was merely supporting Clive's leaning in the direction the band was going and going by their intuition.  I liked the song but as I said, I  didn't know it as well as some others.  I was also joking on the other thread about the same.  Sorry you misinterpreted, if indeed you meant my post. Maybe you didn't.  When Clive asks for your votes about  songs,  he's trying to be sensitive to what you want. It's nice that he asks. For them to consider an 'epic' tour is quite  nice too.   By the way, like sex, girls DO like the long songs.  Slowly building, taking time in different rhythms & variations on a theme, building to great crescendos..... ;) ;D  yeah, I think we like that.

JJ II

I didn't mean your post.... ;)

So you're interested in the long stuff, eh? I take that as a "yes" (to the epic-tour, that is). ;D

Proglady

I'm also a girl  ;D and yes I would love to go to a epic-tour  :-*
I even would pay double price, If necessary just to make that happen.
Just to see and hear Sirens, Solomon, Opera Fanatica and especialy Moviedrome live, that would be great  *ola*

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: JJ II on Sun, 2005-10-09, 16:17:35
Hi all,

Last friday, I talked to Clive about the setlist. He noticed that some on this board were disappointed about Moviedrome. Personally, I don't miss it, but I think these long tracks always create a dilemma for a band: play more material, of play long material?

Before the tour I thought Clive asked the question about whether to play longer songs, specifically Moviedrome.  I think it was on another thread.  As I recall the consensus was that although Moviedrome was an awesome song, most people would rather hear more songs instead of one long one.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Peter

Yes, but this thread is about whether you'd like to see an Epic Tour or not. Noone has asked Clive and the guys, if they'd be willing to do such a thing, though, if I'm not wrong....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-10-12, 09:43:02
Yes, but this thread is about whether you'd like to see an Epic Tour or not. Noone has assked Clive and the guys, if they'd be willing to do such a thing, though, if I'm not wrong....

That's a good point; I have to say I was under the impression that JJ II had actually asked Clive about this.  I'm not so sure now... :-\
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Appelmoes??

Last night we had enough epics 8)

My drawings on MySpace