News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Queens Of The Stone Age

Started by Nicky007, Wed, 2008-06-11, 13:31:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Guys, I'd like to draw your attention to this exciting group.

Tom, thanks for getting me seriously onto QOTSA.

It turned out that I had three of their albums:  Songs For The Deaf (2002), Lullabies To Paralyze (2005), and Era Vulgaris (2007) (already these titles are quite telling).

First off, this is one of the most original and exciting groups around !!!

They are very much a West Coast band. The melody and grunge stand out.

Influences are i.a. Black Flag, Eleven, Faith No More, Hot Chilis, Stone Temple Pilots, and Pearl Jam.

One of the best things about QOTSA is Joshua Homme's singing; he goes all sorts of weird places with his voice. The lyrics are full of social and political digs.

What got me into them originally was that Alain Johannes and Mark Lanegan contributed to Lullabies, which was my first QOTSA album. I'm a big fan of Eleven, and I like Lanegan's singing a lot. I enjoyed Lullabies so much that I bought Songs, and a year later Era. Then some other groups took over.

Songs and Lullabies are very melodic and moderately grungy, or dirty, as Tom called it. I would recommend Lullabies as a good starter, and I think that most active roomies would like it. Era is very gritty, and initially iac only for the hardcore grungies or dirties, like John, Tom and me. Era is for mature proggies, and Tom, despite your youth, you'v always been ahead of the race (F1)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-06-11, 13:31:21
Era is for mature proggies, and Tom, despite your youth, you've always been ahead of the race (F1)  ;D

Ahhh I feel flattered! ;D

But thanks Nicky, your post is very helpful. I think I'm gonna buy Era Vulgaris a.s.a.p and if I like that one, I will work my way back from there. But since you and I have almost the same (excellent) taste in music I'm not really afraid... :)

Have you checked my post in the Now Playing-thread regarding the links to the audio/video streams from Pinkpop? I'll re-post that message here anyway since it fits better within this topic!

So here's the audio from the Queens Of The Stone Age show.
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/ondemand/39658089

They have a video (one song only) up as well. Check http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/ondemand/39662050.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

johninblack

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-06-11, 13:31:21
I would recommend Lullabies as a good starter, and I think that most active roomies would like it. Era is very gritty, and initially iac only for the hardcore grungies or dirties, like John

So, that's why I like it so much *horns* Great band but not for everybody!